Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Today I went to Newark North Gate station, I met up with Mallard60022, great northern and 31A. Now we were going to met last week but it was rearranged for today, 'king cold and the wind blew my new syrup all the way to London.

a248.jpg.1b422a725c559bb091e1da97004ce0e5.jpg

My first photo of an  AZOOOOOOMMMMMEEEERRRRR.  All the worlds trains are starting to look a like.

Hi Clive,

If they painted all the trains in BR Blue then you really wouldn't know the difference !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

If they painted all the trains in BR Blue then you really wouldn't know the difference !

Gibbo.

I had enough problems when the good doctor got BR to paint everything blue in the late sixties.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I had enough problems when the good doctor got BR to paint everything blue in the late sixties.

Hi Clive,

I've just had another thought, don't worry it didn't hurt.

If all these new trains look the same what will be the point of doing cut and shuts ? It will all look the same as when you started, pointless.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I've just had another thought, don't worry it didn't hurt.

If all these new trains look the same what will be the point of doing cut and shuts ? It will all look the same as when you started, pointless.

Gibbo.

Good point Gibbo.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Clive,

I'm sure I've read somewhere recently that 10 of the 91's are to be overhauled, so I wouldn't bet on your trip this week being the last for haulage.

I've only been on an Azuma once, It was nearly empty and we were in First - bizarrely cheaper than Second in advance - it didn't seem too bad. My wife - pre Covid - regularly travelled from Peterborough via London to Penzance - she loathes the new stock (also on GW) and thought the HST's with Mk3's (?) were far more comfortable. Sadly the Department for Transport has apparently insisted these are broken up, and a good few have already met their maker. Such is progress.

John.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Clive,

I'm sure I've read somewhere recently that 10 of the 91's are to be overhauled, so I wouldn't bet on your trip this week being the last for haulage.

I've only been on an Azuma once, It was nearly empty and we were in First - bizarrely cheaper than Second in advance - it didn't seem too bad. My wife - pre Covid - regularly travelled from Peterborough via London to Penzance - she loathes the new stock (also on GW) and thought the HST's with Mk3's (?) were far more comfortable. Sadly the Department for Transport has apparently insisted these are broken up, and a good few have already met their maker. Such is progress.

John.

Hi John

I don't photograph real trains that often. The last time I photographed a class 91 it was in intercity livery and the 312 behind it was still in blue grey.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Lovely vid, the LNER Buffet is at about 6:00.  Several things jump out to me:

• Kudos to the person holding the recorder, it must have been f-f-f-freezing.  It gets cold up on the Pennines and with that amount of frost/snow on the ground, it isn't warm.
  • Pity their film couldn't cope with low light, the images inside Sheffield Victoria are almost invisible.
  • There is something especially charming about an electrified route with semaphore signalling, but the railway system was generally looking pretty run down by 1970 (when I assume this was filmed).
  • "Express" trains with five coaches.  Yes it really happened, although some on the recent debate on "Wright Writes" would insist it isn't prototypical.

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Express" trains with five coaches.  Yes it really happened, although some on the recent debate on "Wright Writes" would insist it isn't prototypical.

Just goes to prove that people shouldn't always believe what they read on RMWeb, especially on certain people's threads.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Thanks for posting this, huge amount of interest, and sadness.

The early shots with the 37 (including one with Gresley Buffet), are on 1M72, the Harwich - Manchester Piccadily boat train. Never quite worked out why a 76 didn't do this from Sheffield Victoria, but there you go, so a regular diesel service through the Woodhead Tunnel, despite what one reads. It worked back east later in the day, as well, probably near to dark at the time of fliming.

There's also a 40 on one train, quite a short one so don't know what this was. However Football specials behind diesels worked to Wadsley Bridge for Sheffield Wednesday, and also F.A.Cup semi finals at Hillsborough in those days. I saw one on the Manchester side one evening, when Wednesday were playing Man. City I think, again behind a 40 and through the Tunnel.

The Manchester to Sheffield Vic. hourly passenger service was usually a 76 and 5 coaches, working as a shuttle, certainly in the latter days in the late '60's at the start of my spotting career! Very often a namer was used, rather charming but not helpful when you kept seeing the same locos. "Nestor" (52), and "Ulysses" (57) always seemed to turn up when I went out.

Particularly poignant I thought were the flashes on the overhead as the pantographs broke ice on the entry into the Tunnel itself. Quite often the A628 Manchester to Barnsley road was closed over Woodhead with snow whilst the railway kept running. I discovered this one day in December 1979 on my bike doing pictures, I joined the A628 at Crowden and bingo no traffic and a (surmountable) snowdrift just east.

Interesting as well to see all the freight in Mottram yard on the Manchester side just after Dinting Viaduct.

As I said, thanks for posting.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

"Express" trains with five coaches.  Yes it really happened, although some on the recent debate on "Wright Writes" would insist it isn't prototypical.

But really by this time these weren't express trains in Mr Wright's world of expresses, these were fast locals between Sheffield and Manchester.  Even the Boat train was only 7 or 8 coaches - making the line between Sheffield and Barnsley Junction quite modellable with a Heljan 76 and a few Mk1s and then some freight in the period after the Great Central mainline closed and before the electric passenger services ceased.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1