Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

12 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Please can you explain?

Andi

He means the loss of that photo hosting site, was it Fotopic or another one?  A wealth of Waverley Route rarities went down with it.  I could do with cleansing that thread now I come to think of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I think we all lost stuff with Fotopic, Photobucket and Imageshack. As for ones other people had posted which were interesting to us which we never saved..................

Today if I am doing some research on sites like Flickr and think I will need the images for a long time I do a screen print and put them in useful folder. I am honest enough not to try and pass them off as my own but sadly many are not.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This afternoon I fixed a dodgy turnout and then ran some trains.

There was an unusual incident as the last train of the day consisting of an S15 on a 5 + 2 set of Bulleids stalled on the 1 in 50 gradient up to the station.  Even taking a run up didn't get it over the summit...

Fortunately the following locomotive was running light and it was a simple matter with DCC to run it gently on to the rear of the stalled passenger train and help the S15 make it to the summit, at which point the banker dropped off without any interference from me.

Sadly, or perhaps fortunately for the Handbag Warriors that haunt some corners of RMWeb, there are no photos of this incident.

The banker was a CIE General Motors 071 class.... wrong era, wrong country, wrong gauge. Did thr world topple on its axis? Nope, and I had a lot of fun.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

This afternoon I fixed a dodgy turnout and then ran some trains.

There was an unusual incident as the last train of the day consisting of an S15 on a 5 + 2 set of Bulleids stalled on the 1 in 50 gradient up to the station.  Even taking a run up didn't get it over the summit...

Fortunately the following locomotive was running light and it was a simple matter with DCC to run it gently on to the rear of the stalled passenger train and help the S15 make it to the summit, at which point the banker dropped off without any interference from me.

Sadly, or perhaps fortunately for the Handbag Warriors that haunt some corners of RMWeb, there are no photos of this incident.

The banker was a CIE General Motors 071 class.... wrong era, wrong country, wrong gauge. Did thr world topple on its axis? Nope, and I had a lot of fun.

Now was the S15 an SR one or a LSWR one?

If a Southern one then it would have had Maunsell's influence, even in some works of SR locos it is a design credited to him. The coaches were Mr Bullyboys. Didn't both these two esteemed gents work in Ireland at some point in their careers? We all know that 16.5mm is the right gauge for toy trains. There is a preserved S15 and Bulleid coaches so no time warp.

Now don't daft about the world toppling on its axis.

So the only thing in that last paragraph is this thing called fun, you are not allowed fun with model railways. Go admit your sins on those threads where the righteous hang out.

• Funny 10

31 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now was the S15 an SR one or a LSWR one?

If a Southern one then it would have had Maunsell's influence, even in some works of SR locos it is a design credited to him. The coaches were Mr Bullyboys. Didn't both these two esteemed gents work in Ireland at some point in their careers? We all know that 16.5mm is the right gauge for toy trains. There is a preserved S15 and Bulleid coaches so no time warp.

Now don't daft about the world toppling on its axis.

So the only thing in that last paragraph is this thing called fun, you are not allowed fun with model railways. Go admit your sins on those threads where the righteous hang out.

Hi Clive,

Lets have a proper "handbags at twenty paces", forget 16.5mm gauge, the earth is flat* end of !!!

* Holland and most of Lincolnshire are flat but where I live there are hills that are actually quite lumpy and stick upwards toward the firmament.

Gibbo.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Was once a member of a club where fun was most definitely not allowed; it was work, work, work.  Just as many of us were about to quit, probably both club and hobby, we realised it was almost all down to one person.  We persuaded him to leave.  After that it was fun, beer, and playing trains ....

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think we all lost stuff with Fotopic, Photobucket and Imageshack. As for ones other people had posted which were interesting to us which we never saved..................

Today if I am doing some research on sites like Flickr and think I will need the images for a long time I do a screen print and put them in useful folder. I am honest enough not to try and pass them off as my own but sadly many are not.

I've been given to understand that since Flickr prices went up quite a lot, many folk have declined to pay and so have a 1000 image limit. So a lot of stuff has gone from there as well. Not something I really understand, at about £40 a year for unlimited it seems to me good value in today's world, when you think of the price of other stuff - new model trains for one.

The sad thing about the demise of the other photo sites is that even if you retained hard disc or other copies of your own pictures, what you did forfeit was the amount of work done in captioning and classifying on the site - basically time spent down the swanny. In my own case with Fotopic I lost no photos, but the time investment had been considerable.

As you say Clive, Flickr still remains a great resource. I spent part of this afternoon removing the numbers and arrows from a blue second series Class 20, that I want to renumber to "as new" BR condition circa 1967/68. I was surprised to learn that new deliveries in blue started at D8178, I thought it was later in the batch, but "Dallam Dave" has a shot near Vulcan Foundry brand new on delivery. How good is that! The rest of the afternoon was spent washing  the parts of seven kit built coaches, two 1/72 Mig 17's and a Bacchy Peak body with etched grilles to be D10, as this week I hope to be able to spray paint, deffo my least favourite aspect of modelling.

John.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I've been given to understand that since Flickr prices went up quite a lot, many folk have declined to pay and so have a 1000 image limit. So a lot of stuff has gone from there as well. Not something I really understand, at about £40 a year for unlimited it seems to me good value in today's world, when you think of the price of other stuff - new model trains for one.

The sad thing about the demise of the other photo sites is that even if you retained hard disc or other copies of your own pictures, what you did forfeit was the amount of work done in captioning and classifying on the site - basically time spent down the swanny. In my own case with Fotopic I lost no photos, but the time investment had been considerable.

As you say Clive, Flickr still remains a great resource. I spent part of this afternoon removing the numbers and arrows from a blue second series Class 20, that I want to renumber to "as new" BR condition circa 1967/68. I was surprised to learn that new deliveries in blue started at D8178, I thought it was later in the batch, but "Dallam Dave" has a shot near Vulcan Foundry brand new on delivery. How good is that! The rest of the afternoon was spent washing  the parts of seven kit built coaches, two 1/72 Mig 17's and a Bacchy Peak body with etched grilles to be D10, as this week I hope to be able to spray paint, deffo my least favourite aspect of modelling.

John.

Fair points; it is a downside for web-based businesses that you frequently have to offer services for free just to attract customers, who then become accustomed to getting it for free and resent being asked to pay a reasonable rate for the time of the person providing the service.

While we have lost access to the research material, I hope people didn't only back up to Fotopic and not also to data sticks, CDs, DVDs etc.  It doesn't do any harm to have multiple backups.

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

You could be right.  However, this photo isn't proof of DMUs on B4s (123s excepted) in operational service.

It might be in the scrapyard on B4 bogies, but it doesn't mean it went to the scrapyard on B4s.  That body could have been demounted in one part of the yard (like the one adjacent) then transferred to the B4s as accommodation bogies while it was moved.  Swapping bogies permanently means reconnecting all sorts of electrical and brake connections, which wouldn't be necessary for a 3mph move around a yard.

I didn’t think even the 123s had B4 power bogies but could be wrong. That’s a power car so wouldn’t have had B4s in service if that were the case. I 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

John.

Re lost images - It is also the knock on links too. On my own website a crash/bug took out all the Wordpress embedded blog images Across the site, I have still not got around to putting them back. Not lost the images, but I just keep forgetting to set aside a day or two to redo the placements.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
On 04/10/2020 at 04:08, cheesysmith said:

Have to report my class120 sides are done, but will have to wait now as I have run out of both 1mm plastic strip for the sides and filler to rub down.

Roll on pay day.

And run out of vauxhall yellow form the front ends.

Can feel a shopping list coming on for pay day.

Still got to decide the identity of the unit yet. Thinking one of the Derby sets so I can use a 104 centre car. Does anyone know how many ended up fitted with B4 bogies? Might put some on just to be different to all the other DMUs.

One had B4s on a trailer

This one 59301

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-120/description

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

On 03/10/2020 at 14:04, John Tomlinson said:

Looking at this lot, I'm wondering if you're planning on going all "hydraulic" on us?

The Royal Blue Bristol coaches, front row centre and far right, are very pretty indeed, I didn't know anyone made these vehicles, or are they a Mortimore "special"?

John

If it helps anyone, I have just seen examples of both types of the Royal Blues on the Hattons pre-owned list and remembered this post.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

And another mention of a hurdy gurdy.  This is my favourite version of the Donovan song.  I first heard it way back on the Old Grey Whistle Test with "whispering" Bob Harris!  IIRC Miquette Giraudy plays the hurdy gurdy ,  I don't recall ever seeing one played when they went touring though, and I saw them quite a few times.

Roja

• Informative/Useful 1

On 04/10/2020 at 19:11, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Lets have a proper "handbags at twenty paces", forget 16.5mm gauge, the earth is flat* end of !!!

* Holland and most of Lincolnshire are flat but where I live there are hills that are actually quite lumpy and stick upwards toward the firmament.

Gibbo.

As Mr Wright of this parish likes to point out, Lincolnshire hosted the highest point on the whole of the ECML, quite an achievement for a county better known for its flatness. The hilly bits are nice, though, with local stone the same as that in the Cotswolds and further south.

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've always had an interest in Medieval music and instruments

Would you happen to be a fan of the Pixie (aka Mr. Blackmore), a man who, as he ages, seems to prefer his musical influences to be pre-modern?

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Lack of motivation at Sheffield Exchange over the past few days. I think cocking up an Isinglass resin 3D printed kit has taken some of the fun out things for a time.

Hi Clive,

But isn't part of the fun going back a few days (or weeks, or months, or years, or decades even!) later and putting the mistakes right?

Not too experiences with Resin- can you melt it???? I guess the only way back then is to buy another of the same kit.......

Now where is that brass horsebox of mine that is more solder than brass? I really ought to take my own advice, but it's easier said than done!!

Meanwhile, I'll just carry on with the Kaydees on Bachmann wagons  (50, 51, 52......)

Hope everyone is keeping well, and doing their bit to keep the Virus at bay?

Cheers

Paul 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

There is a wonderful line in Courtney's song I posted today, "The paramedic things I'm clever because I play guitar, I think she is clever because she stops people dying".  To me this sums up how important everyone is, yes a paramedic is very important if you or someone you know are unwell and at the same time how important to you is listening to your favorite music, poetry, watching your favorite films etc? I am sure we can all fill in the gaps of every day important people who make our lives tick over.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1