Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, westerner said:

I thought Jack Bruce was the bassist, and Ginger was the drummer, But I do agree that they are all better looking.

Do you know I knew that and still typed Ginger Baker.  Brain fade, obviously distracted by something, ahem.....

• Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

From left to right, early electric blue, late electric blue and BR blue:

MoreBlues.jpg.5d45192323b5f66fcd5c815f7fb93bee.jpg.1fee5ba301b6570c061f2e4ef1d40ec9.jpg

AL1-5 were delivered in early electric blue with and latterly repainted into the late electric blue the AL6's were delivered in late electric blue which being close to BR blue is no doubt where all the confusion arises about BR blue.

Brian Haresnape was obviously working alonside Guy Burgess, Kim Philby and Donald Maclean at the design panel, I blame the Pусские for this it is Kremlin plot !!!!

Gibbo.

I've never really gotten over the story of Putin and Mrs. Vlad driving back to Leningrad from Dresden in their Lada with a 'fridge in the boot (donation from a mate in the Stasi). His world and everyone elses where he came from smashed to bits in a very short time.

However bonkers he might have gone now (or not - discuss!), I can't help admire the guy for his resolution in going from nothing to a 21st century Czar and rebuilding his country from the total chaos of the Yeltsin years.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I've never really gotten over the story of Putin and Mrs. Vlad driving back to Leningrad from Dresden in their Lada with a 'fridge in the boot (donation from a mate in the Stasi). His world and everyone elses where he came from smashed to bits in a very short time.

However bonkers he might have gone now (or not - discuss!), I can't help admire the guy for his resolution in going from nothing to a 21st century Czar and rebuilding his country from the total chaos of the Yeltsin years.

John.

Hi John,

I've always found the "Give me my pen back" moment to be a Putin classic.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to break up everyone's fun but I have been soldering again. When I wired in the signals the two exit signals , I think they are called starters on the big railway, as they are three aspect I added a second switch so when cleared they could read red or yellow (got that right, it ain't a f'ing traffic light). For some reason the switch for the L&YR line was over the other side of the baseboard to the control panel. No idea why. So tonight was relocating it to the correct side which meant taking out some short wires and adding some long ones.

I attached the two switches to the baseboard and labeled them up for their respective lines. The GNR one was switching the L&YR one, Oh blow said my stupid half of my brain, I have to unsolder all that again and the other switch. The sensible half that was busy listening to Camp Cope, looked at it and made my hand pick up a screw driver and swap the switches.

Ran some more trains afterwards, I had two non-gangway trains being pulled by type 2 diesels, one by a Sulzer and the other a Brush, very relaxing.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Soldering eh ?

I thought of this:

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

She is doing it all wrong, you solder the components from the other side of a PCB. I know cos I use to inspect PCBs when I worked for Marconi's.

And were is her anti-static wristband? The number of times I went for my lunch and forgot I was tied to the bench.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

That’s because she’s doing some sort of publicity photo where ‘pretty’ carries more weight than ‘correct’.

:-)

That how it works in my industry anyway.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi John,

I've always found the "Give me my pen back" moment to be a Putin classic.

Gibbo.

This was particularly memorable.

I recall the first time I saw it, and saying to Ann my wife, that we could do with some of that here, rather than government always seeming to grovel to business and self-interest.

Bet the chap who tried to keep the pen was looking over his shoulder for a few weeks afterwards!

Probably better change the subject now, as this is neither model trains nor music, not sure about fun.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

That’s because she’s doing some sort of publicity photo where ‘pretty’ carries more weight than ‘correct’.

Paul.

Where I used to work, we used the actual employees in such pictures - there were plenty of occasions where the photographers asked for things that were never done, wouldn't work or were positively dangerous, so that they could get what they considered "good" pictures.  Led to heated arguments on occasions... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

I like pretty.

Saying that I have appeared in the local paper at work a couple of times. Once while nursing, and I am far from pretty. The other time was when I started my dog walking business, you could just see me behind Stig and Bramble two lovely Labradors.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Where I used to work, we used the actual employees in such pictures - there were plenty of occasions where the photographers asked for things that were never done, wouldn't work or were positively dangerous, so that they could get what they considered "good" pictures.  Led to heated arguments on occasions... 

I had to ask a national paper photographer to leave a blood donating session when he was asking for the staff and donors to things which we never did and was getting in the way which was slowing the session down. It was a very busy period of time when lots of nice people were coming forward to give blood during the first Gulf War. To start with my management were not happy as it lost us some publicity but when I explained how he was getting in the way they changed their mind and told the paper they would not allow their photographers to attend our sessions unless they were there to give blood only.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Mine too, they always ask a pretty girl to stand and point at the computer screen.  Like that's going to make it work.  

Hi Doc

After punching the screen, we all know that shouting very loudly and using our bestest Anglo-Saxon words will wake the stupid thing  up and do what we want it to. Failing that bashing the rat thing on the table and thumbing all the letters and numbers on the other useless thing wired to the computer will get it to work. I have seen Mrs M try that lots of times.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Failing that bashing the rat thing on the table....

The old classic... one day, one of my minions was unable to eject a CD from a laptop in front of a jeering crowd of hostiles.  Aware that the time to appear unruffled was well past, he summoned me.  

I picked it up to a height of around three inches and then slammed it on the desk.... it had to land dead flat, mind, this was no neanderthal act but one of consumate skill and finesse...

Out popped the caddy to a round of appreciative applause from the rowdies. 

Its been a long time since I was a tech but I still have my full repetoire of thumps, drops, bangs and japes.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Look what that Mallard60022 has got me watching, not as busy as Clampham Junction but always something moving. Possibly the best n gauge continental layout I have come across. 

Using Kato track it would seem by the spacing.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Look what that Mallard60022 has got me watching, not as busy as Clampham Junction but always something moving. Possibly the best n gauge continental layout I have come across. 

The static grass between the tracks is a bit overdone I think.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It keeps happening, I am running trains again tonight. I have just had a Brush 4 glide along with an express from York arrive as a local to Doncaster departed with Standard 4 tank up front.  

While I shunt a Brush type 2 on to the York train, forming an ECS to the carriage sidings a Leeds and Bradford DMU has started its journey and the signaleman is waiting for a special from Harrogate  to arrive, it has a Black Five providing the power. 

And look Bea has done it again, another new video, 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

That's the whole point, shirley?

Don't call me Shirley.

I don't know there seem to be some people on this very web site forum who don't think it is something we should do.

I know there are many who for various reasons are trainsetless but if they could would be running trains and listening to music (or cricket) so my jibe is not aimed at them. There are some who I wonder why they bother being here.

Unless they are here for some good music.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3