Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Satan's Goldfish said:

No, I'm not that old ;)

Did you get the message I sent you a couple of days ago ref little wagons bud?... 

Hi Map

Yes, I need to get me ar$e in gear to say thank you, they would be very welcomed.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2020 at 09:46, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

I think I have said before Mrs M used a massive threat, if I was to have an affair she would find where the other woman lived and dump the train set on her door way. 

That slightly reminds me of the story of the cement mixer lorry driver that suspected his wife was having an affair , so one morning he drove off as usual then parked his lorry a few streets away and walked back . When he got back he saw a Rolls Royce parked outside his house, so he went and got his lorry and dumped half a ton of cement over the Rolls, then hid in the bushes across the road and waited.

Twenty minutes later the front door opened and a man came out, passionately kissed his wife then got on his bike and pedalled off :P

• Funny 12

10 minutes ago, jazzer said:

That slightly reminds me of the story of the cement mixer lorry driver that suspected his wife was having an affair , so one morning he drove off as usual then parked his lorry a few streets away and walked back . When he got back he saw a Rolls Royce parked outside his house, so he went and got his lorry and dumped half a ton of cement over the Rolls, then hid in the bushes across the road and waited.

Twenty minutes later the front door opened and a man came out, passionately kissed his wife then got on his bike and pedalled off :P

Hi Jazzer,

That reminds me a true story relayed to me by a chap called Graham I once worked with. He suspected that his wife was having an affair with a motor mechanic.

He hatched a plan, took his car in, that was admittedly a shed on wheels, had it stripped out completely, resprayed, the engine completely overhauled and then rebuilt. When it was all ready he went to collect and upon presentation of the bill announced to said motor mechanic that for payment he should, "Just keep taking out of the wife!".

Graham said that he had fully expected to wake up in hospital but instead he was handed the keys and simply drove off with an almighty freebie !!!

A story that always makes me smile.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

True story 

I worked for a firm that delivered material to constuction sites. One job we had was to Manchester it was a sheltered accommodation for the mentally ill. A mixer driver asked a man in hi viz where they wanted the delivery he pointed to a basement window. They fixed the chute up between them and started to deliver. Halfway through the site foreman came looking for the mixer. Turned out the bloke in hi viz was a resident  and they had filled a room with 5 cubic metres of concrete

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

This was followed by couple of specials, the first was a Glasgow train returning home with a Jubilee. This rake of coaches came my way from a fellow Witham Club member, they are all unused (until I got me mits on them) and I might keep them in blood and custard.

a008.jpg.78e1985da07aad71d0daa908a1acab15.jpg

a009.jpg.a987ad1deee843f10b4718fd0167720e.jpg

a010.jpg.2f49c4fe87741ae17e4b663cd471ef7c.jpg

Note the recently wired up and working signals at the exit of the station throat.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

The other was a V2 on a short train for a local TAVR unit going on their yearly fortnight of playing soldiers, lucky souls are on their way to Otterburn.

a012.jpg.3ecd343984b7b4f8da1227112f124b76.jpg

Can anyone spot the signalling error that wouldn't happen if I had interlocking

a013.jpg.19b4704d367669112dca014020f68cf3.jpg

a014.jpg.45c8f486ab1f70c9bc0133647aa8f92f.jpg

The wires on the signal on the end of the bracket are too short to reach under the baseboard.

a015.jpg.8bd6c0d116d26b7da6572e1c73a6ed59.jpg

The exit signal on the GNR Up line is showing a yellow aspect. This will be usual as I normally have to wait for the train on the inside line to clear the Doncaster Junction and for the operator to reverse the polarity of the tracks before moving on to the main line.

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Can anyone spot the signalling error that wouldn't happen if I had interlocking

a013.jpg.19b4704d367669112dca014020f68cf3.jpg

Hi Clive,

The point blades ahead of the V2 will shortly need the attention of the permanent way repair crew.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

The point blades ahead of the V2 will shortly need the attention of the permanent way repair crew.

Gibbo.

It left the station without any points being against it.

There is a green signal showing on platform four, which I hadn't switched back to red from a couple of operating sessions ago. It is showing line clear to the L&YR line which would be a conflicting movement to the one that the V2 is taking.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Why? Isn't using 2 BSKs to make an SK and a BG easier (unless you haven't got 2 BSKs I suppose...)?

Hi Sainty

Thank you, why is a very good question. I didn't have any spare BSKs.

I won a huge amount of coaches in a Vectis auction including a couple of sleepers, so what can I do with them was my first thought? Sell them on? Make them into something I could use? 

There are easier ways than you have mentioned, you can always buy a RTR one, Lima, Replica, Bachmann, Hornby, or Hornby Railroad (my favorite as they are cheep). Then there are kits, I have recently been given a Comet one to make. Even the Mainline model can be made to look better by adding a millimeter to the lower body to make it the right height. Brass overlays are another route, I bet in someone's stash there are lurking the PC models printed overlays.

Even converting a Tri-ang CK using a couple of window sections left over from another conversion is a possibility.

018.jpg.2394a2651ec2892f5156af44b3b9b5eb.jpg

019.jpg.945e499da81d8768540c07e9af7eaae1.jpg

To date I haven't scratchbuilt a Mk1 coach......to date that is. The best part of of attempting the conversion was it was a fun challenge to do. Always remember there are many ways to peel a potato. :good:

Happy modelling to everyone.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

Was there a prize for spotting the green signal on platform 4 and I've just missed out? :(

so when are you going to interlock the signalling to the points then Clive?

(SK looks good, I was almost tricked into thinking it had been painted in those last 2 pics ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Was there a prize for spotting the green signal on platform 4 and I've just missed out? :(

so when are you going to interlock the signalling to the points then Clive?

(SK looks good, I was almost tricked into thinking it had been painted in those last 2 pics ;)

Well spotted Matt.

Interlocking was contemplated at one time but decided against it on the simple grounds that I am simple. :crazy:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I just love how you don't mix liveries and eras Clive!

Mike.

Hi Mike

The DMUs are due to be painted into green livery.....................one day.

And the carriages into maroon......................another day.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

The DMUs are due to be painted into green livery.....................one day.

And the carriages into maroon......................another day.

And they said blue/grey was the boring period.

So will be it a production line into the spray booth - all into all over green for the dmus then day two do the coaches in maroon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

And they said blue/grey was the boring period.

So will be it a production line into the spray booth - all into all over green for the dmus then day two do the coaches in maroon.

May be. First I have to decorate the workshop before setting up the paint station.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And then all that lovely lining to get perfectly straight.

(There’s a reason why I’m a chequebook modeller for stock!)

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

And then all that lovely lining to get perfectly straight.

(There’s a reason why I’m a chequebook modeller for stock!)

Paul.

Yo Paul

Look stop making the problems even worse.

I am planning to learn how to use a bow pen.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

May be. First I have to decorate the workshop before setting up the paint station.

Green and maroon would be good colours for the workshop - kill two birds with one stone.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Paul

Look stop making the problems even worse.

I am planning to learn how to use a bow pen.

Definitely a good idea. By far the simplest way for long straight lines once you've got the knack.

• Like 2