Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I have started the next train, a MR and LMS London, Tilbury and Southend set of coaches. Both the LMS and the MR built coaches for LTSR that were not seen elsewhere. Not sure if I can justify them in Sheffield but it is my train set.

The MR built a range of 48ft elliptical roofed non-gangway coaches for the LTSR services in 1921, these lasted until the power was switched on for the AM2s in 1961. Some short suburban coaches appealed to me. I am using Ratio coaches as the basis, they will be running on Airfix/Dapol LMS bogies attached to modified Ratio underframes. They will also require new ends and cut down Airfix/Dapol roofs. I am making an all Third, a downgraded First to Third, a Composite Lavatory (one of only two made) and a Brake Third. They were made into sets of 13 close coupled coaches.

002.jpg.f4f2b5a3fb186daad98c9c66134db042.jpg

The downgraded 48ft First.

These were followed by a series of 54ft coaches a few built in 1921 and the rest in 1922, I am only having one of these and it is a all Third. Again using Ratio sides, new ends and Airfix/Dapol roof. It will be mounted on a shortened Airfix/Dapol chassis. These ran in sets of 11 close coupled coaches.

007.jpg.13b5d9f82b6d599f45df5d7b2f6f05a7.jpg

Top to bottom, 48ft Brake Third, 54ft Third and 48ft Lavatory Composite.

The LMS built some more coaches between 1925 and 1929 for the LTSR were some period 1 coaches which were almost identical to the MR 54 ft coaches. The ends were match board not paneled and the door grabs were of an LMS style, again to 54ft length not the more normal LMS 57ft for non-gangway coaches. I am not building any of this series as the train of four 48ft and three 54ft is all that will fit the platform.

The next series of coaches the LMS made in 1931 for the line were some period 2 style, The Airfix/Dapol non-gangway are ideal for these. My train will only have one and that will be a 54ft Brake Third. The 54ft MR Brake Thirds and those of the LMS built for the LTSR had 7 compartments not the usual 6. My model is an Airfix Lavatory Brake Third, which has been shortened, all compartments made smaller with two additional ones. 

004.jpg.d18f259513a225d49dd94c6a2da9b479.jpg

54ft period 2 Brake Third, still needs its roof shortening.

The final two sets of coaches introdued in 1934 were to period 3 design, visually the difference was the roof, period 3 having steel paneled roofs not the wood and canvas of previous LMS types. In fact the LTSR period 2 and period 3 coaches shared the same diagrams. I am making a 54ft Lavatory Composite, there was only two built to period 3 specification and the only period 3 non-gangway lavatory coaches. An Airfix Lavatory Composite has provided the parts for this. All LMS coaches ran in sets of 11 close coupled coaches.

010.jpg.94f222e4820978e17bd8a2e16054b5b1.jpg

54ft period 3 Lavatory Composite, there is still a lot of work to be done.

I have mentioned they ran in sets of close coupled coaches, they appeared have done so until towards the end of the 1950s when they started to be mixed, I am not sure if the short buffers were replaced with standard ones or not. Trains in this period could contain coaches of all these different designs, and some of the MR arc roofed LTSR coaches mixed with rebuilt LNER 54ft Illford stock, that looked like Thompson non-gangways but types again only seen on the LTSR, BR Mk1 non-gangway and even a Gresley steel bodied non-gangway Third Brake.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Must admit, don't have a clue about all these LMS coaches, in fact don't have much of a clue anything pre MK1. Question, can you make a MASJR EMU from some LMS coaches?

Ps- I understand the feeling when you loose a loved pet. Dreading when our oldest cat goes, as she is 16 now and my oldest daughter is 15. As I have had to explain before all that matters is they were loved and to treated right when they were here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Must admit, don't have a clue about all these LMS coaches, in fact don't have much of a clue anything pre MK1. Question, can you make a MASJR EMU from some LMS coaches?

Ps- I understand the feeling when you loose a loved pet. Dreading when our oldest cat goes, as she is 16 now and my oldest daughter is 15. As I have had to explain before all that matters is they were loved and to treated right when they were here.

Hi Chessy

It is possible, there would be a lot of cuts as the compartments are a different size and the underframes are 58ft not 57ft. One thing I have found with the standard LMS coaches that nothing was standard. The LNER did seem to keep to the same size of compartment with most of its coaches.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Clive, 

As I grew up mid way between the North Woolwich branch and the LTSR I look forward to seeing the finished article when the coaches are eventually (!) finished. Of course, back then I never took much notice of coaches , as the locos were far more interesting, but even from a young age I’ve always had the habit of counting the number of coaches, particularly going up to London with my mother on the District Line which of course runs alongside the LTS as far as West Ham. Quite often an LTS train would overtake ours on that stretch, so perhaps I can offer some comments on train lengths.

I am not sure about fixed sets but trains were generally shorter in the winter than summer. Southend was always a popular destination for  day trippers in summer but once all the amusements and fairground attractions closed for the winter traffic dropped considerably. All the trains seemed to be in sets of 5, 7, 11 or 13, usually 5 or 7 (mostly 7 ) in winter and 11 or 13 ( mostly 11 ) in summer . I can’t speak for coach types , but if you are building a 7 coach set then, irrespective of it being all your platforms would take, I would say it is probably the most typical off- peak train length you would find on the LTSR.. Hope this helps.

BTW , I might have this wrong but was the Tilbury loop switched on several months , after the direct line , in 1962. I have a clear memory of visiting my grandmother in hospital next the the line and train spotting out of the window ,seeing a standard 4 halted at a signal while the driver phoned the signalman . I am sure that was 1962.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have found with the standard LMS coaches that nothing was standard.

I currently have 16 "standard" LMS corridor coaches of 15 different variations and 10 non-corridor of 9 different types. Four more on the go and they are all different from the rest. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I currently have 16 "standard" LMS corridor coaches of 15 different variations and 10 non-corridor of 9 different types. Four more on the go and they are all different from the rest. 

Hi Eric

I have just taken delivery of 9 more Airfix coaches, 9 more coaches awaiting plastic surgery.  :whistle:

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, jazzer said:

Hi Clive, 

As I grew up mid way between the North Woolwich branch and the LTSR I look forward to seeing the finished article when the coaches are eventually (!) finished. Of course, back then I never took much notice of coaches , as the locos were far more interesting, but even from a young age I’ve always had the habit of counting the number of coaches, particularly going up to London with my mother on the District Line which of course runs alongside the LTS as far as West Ham. Quite often an LTS train would overtake ours on that stretch, so perhaps I can offer some comments on train lengths.

I am not sure about fixed sets but trains were generally shorter in the winter than summer. Southend was always a popular destination for  day trippers in summer but once all the amusements and fairground attractions closed for the winter traffic dropped considerably. All the trains seemed to be in sets of 5, 7, 11 or 13, usually 5 or 7 (mostly 7 ) in winter and 11 or 13 ( mostly 11 ) in summer . I can’t speak for coach types , but if you are building a 7 coach set then, irrespective of it being all your platforms would take, I would say it is probably the most typical off- peak train length you would find on the LTSR.. Hope this helps.

BTW , I might have this wrong but was the Tilbury loop switched on several months , after the direct line , in 1962. I have a clear memory of visiting my grandmother in hospital next the the line and train spotting out of the window ,seeing a standard 4 halted at a signal while the driver phoned the signalman . I am sure that was 1962.

Thanks Jazzer

I will have to look up when the Tilbury loop was electrocuted, all I know the MR coaches were withdrawn in 1961 when they were surplus to requirements. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Eric

I have just taken delivery of 9 more Airfix coaches, 9 more coaches awaiting plastic surgery.  :whistle:

I've got several in the bits box. I've just done a 60ft Period 1 roof and interior  to go with the rebuilt BCK etched sides I bought off the 'bay recently. Another is under consideration for a six-bay vestibule composite. A Replica vestibule is waiting to be cut up for the buffet car sides that are ready to be fitted.

On the non-corridor stuff a GW 60' wide bodied all third is on the way and I fancy backdating a Lav Brake and/or Composite to a Period 1 panelled version which still appeared at New Street in the early 1960s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday my interwebthingy stopped working. BT said it might take up to the 9th November to fix. Mrs M commented that it was quiet without all the bombardment of internet information. Even quieter as our road, the main through road in the village, is closed about a mile from us, so no through traffic.

When Hugo and I went for our walk yesterday evening there was a fleet of Openreach vans at the road works. Had someone put a digger through the cables?

No modelling last night, I did a strange old fashioned thing of talking with my eldest. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yesterday my interwebthingy stopped working. BT said it might take up to the 9th November to fix. Mrs M commented that it was quiet without all the bombardment of internet information. Even quieter as our road, the main through road in the village, is closed about a mile from us, so no through traffic.

When Hugo and I went for our walk yesterday evening there was a fleet of Openreach vans at the road works. Had someone put a digger through the cables?

No modelling last night, I did a strange old fashioned thing of talking with my eldest. 

Andy Y doesn't want you to miss out on the Virtual Show this weekend and has charmed BT into fixing your Interweb.

Hold on, how are you communicating with this forum if you don't have some form of interweb connection even if it is in a wireless form using one of those things once known as a mobile phone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Andy Y doesn't want you to miss out on the Virtual Show this weekend and has charmed BT into fixing your Interweb.

Hold on, how are you communicating with this forum if you don't have some form of interweb connection even if it is in a wireless form using one of those things once known as a mobile phone.

I think a lot of Overreach men must have worked very very hard to solder all the wires up and seem to have got my one right.

The next layout I build I am going to get them to wire it up.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Gas people dug up the end of our road about 4 weeks ago.

We lost our phone and inter web was as slow as treacle.

Overreach fixed it, and strangely, have been seen at every house in the road since . . .

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 2