Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Siouxsie and the Banshees were rather special though - The Scream was outstanding I still have my copy of the album.

I really enjoyed listening to John Peel's 10.00 PM sessions on Radio 1. Sometimes something really original and fresh turned up (like The Scream ) providing John played it a the right speed, then again sometimes it didn't matter!

Happy days!

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have been cutting and shutting some more Airfix LMS coaches. Here is the basic train.

003.jpg.448a2cea11e3765f72788b7541d3cdd9.jpg

A post war BSK corridor side

015.jpg.e006a1cc91e85bd0141e02221ef519dd.jpg

Compartment side.

002.jpg.e82ea57f22522f38ebc7a08934c3d649.jpg

A SK corridor side

014.jpg.c3bcc48b419bf09ad94232570fd97a8f.jpg

Compartment side, this coach has a shortened 60 ft underframe and needs new trust bars (and the body fitting properly)

004.jpg.759fd538c5471cf1846334e08af4c759.jpg

Another SK, the compartment side.

016.jpg.bdf6cf5279d944e1bc5617d587ef0770.jpg

Corridor side, both of these had to make do with the left overs from the other conversions.

006.jpg.c54f82239032ee3fd9fb6c90d801672d.jpg

A SO, this is going to be an ex Coronation Scot coach, after the war they were in general stock, these SOs had 2 +1 seating so were often deployed as dinning cars as well as ordinary day coaches. 

007.jpg.3354e486dc05798b72b07b38da7c9b83.jpg

A period II CK ( made from a Dapol/Hornby RKC.) corridor side. 

018.jpg.3ec2cc7760fbd25c7d79f8f45032f09e.jpg

The compartment side

008.jpg.eacc840750a50e7021613be72bab77a6.jpg

A BFK compartment side.

019.jpg.1d790402ef18785796141b7f49564824.jpg

Corridor side.

A normal six coach train is a BSK/SK/CK/CK/SK/BSK, this is variation being a BSK/SK/SK/SO/CK/BFK giving approximately the same amount of seating.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been cutting and shutting some more Airfix LMS coaches. Here is the basic train.

003.jpg.448a2cea11e3765f72788b7541d3cdd9.jpg

A post war BSK corridor side

015.jpg.e006a1cc91e85bd0141e02221ef519dd.jpg

Compartment side.

002.jpg.e82ea57f22522f38ebc7a08934c3d649.jpg

A SK corridor side

014.jpg.c3bcc48b419bf09ad94232570fd97a8f.jpg

Compartment side, this coach has a shortened 60 ft underframe and needs new trust bars (and the body fitting properly)

004.jpg.759fd538c5471cf1846334e08af4c759.jpg

Another SK, the compartment side.

016.jpg.bdf6cf5279d944e1bc5617d587ef0770.jpg

Corridor side, both of these had to make do with the left overs from the other conversions.

006.jpg.c54f82239032ee3fd9fb6c90d801672d.jpg

A SO, this is going to be an ex Coronation Scot coach, after the war they were in general stock, these SOs had 2 +1 seating so were often deployed as dinning cars as well as ordinary day coaches. 

The compartment side

008.jpg.eacc840750a50e7021613be72bab77a6.jpg

A BFK compartment side.

019.jpg.1d790402ef18785796141b7f49564824.jpg

Corridor side.

A normal six coach train is a BSK/SK/CK/CK/SK/BSK, this is variation being a BSK/SK/SK/SO/CK/BFK giving approximately the same amount of seating.

Hi Clive,

I would like to know more about the period 2 CK compartment side.

Does the NING CAR have anything to do with Spike Milligan ?

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

I can add a catering coach, if going to one of the center platforms they can run as a seven coach train, if going into one the others a SK is taken out.

005.jpg.1291efe7ff506a2b82671ba7040d07af.jpg

A rebuilt RKS into a RKB , this was the only one so dealt with. I thought a full restaurant would be too much so sometimes the kitchen would be closed and only the buffet in use. If the kitchen is open then the SO acts as an unclassed dinning car. The buffet and kitchen side

017.jpg.6ecea6b6fecb83fb32cce9b3e65a368c.jpg

The corridor side. It should have shallow siding ventilators, until I can work out how to flush glaze with the shallow vents It will run with deep ones. It is based on the Dapol/Hornby RKC. As far as I know I haven't seen anyone else convert an Airfix coach into a Stanier catering car, or anyone use the Dapol restaurant to make a period II coach. I know people have used the Dapol RKC and brass sides but not been as daft as me.

If the train is going to be split on its journey a BCK is added to the train and it is reformed, BFK/SO/SK/BSK+SK/BCK (six coach) or BFK/CK/SO/SK/BSK+SK/BCK (seven coach)

001.jpg.cef7671cbf2a7eb2923bfd9ad6871929.jpg

60ft period I BCK rebuilt to look like a period III coach corridor side.

013.jpg.5eb15a3b5b3c5ce8b90953ec75a4f2bf.jpg

The compartment side. Before being rebuilt this type of coach had one toilet, at the first class end (next to the loco). Some grumpy Lord Snotty complained about lower mortals passing his compartment to have a pee so a second loo was added taking space in the guards van.

009.jpg.645e9918d56a60b621ebb4db39655790.jpg

A 62ft period III BCK, it looks very long compared to a 57ft coach but is only the size of a BR Mk1.  Corridor side.

020.jpg.786be57d94db14b2a66cebd3103be360.jpg

The compartment side. One of these BCKs will be allocated to another LMS cut and shut coach train.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Siouxsie and the Banshees were rather special though - The Scream was outstanding I still have my copy of the album.

I really enjoyed listening to John Peel's 10.00 PM sessions on Radio 1. Sometimes something really original and fresh turned up (like The Scream ) providing John played it a the right speed, then again sometimes it didn't matter!

Happy days!

Kind regards,

Richard

Hi Richard

The John Peel show was a must for many years. I think the more mistakes he done the better he was.

He even played Dave Tailby (aka Bungus the Fogeyman) band's only record. The band was Our Man in Tokyo. If anyone want a copy of the record contact Dave, I am sure his mum will sleep safer when all the weight of the records in her loft has gone.

When I was in Colchester I was mates with Steve, Mick and Robbie from Modern English. Gary's wife and I would chat for hours about everything and nothing. Rich the drummer I didn't really get to know that well despite lugging his drum kit in and out of halls. I still have this session on tape.

Steve was best man when I married Mrs M mk1.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When I was in Colchester I was mates with Steve, Mick and Robbie from Modern English. Gary's wife and I would chat for hours about everything and nothing. Rich the drummer I didn't really get to know that well despite lugging his drum kit in and out of halls. I still have this session on tape.

Steve was best man when I married Mrs M mk1.

They don't look like that now!!!!

Andi

• Funny 3

know what you mean by different priorities of what is important. 

I have a nice house, with the potential of a nice big man shed in the back garden (future plan), get to play trains, and three children, eldest, she has my sarcasm, middle one he has ASD, and is my clone, just with different interests, and the youngest is evil speed demon (she's only 10 lol).

I'm so proud (evil laugh time).

• Like 8
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The compartment side

Loving the cutting and shutting Clive - the Period II coach from the RKC is inspired.

Fatally, you've given me some ideas, especially as I have a few Airfix BTKs and CKs kicking around. Now I have copy of the Jenkinson LMS coaches tome there'll be nothing stopping me ...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Richard

I went on to do something far more important to me, I became a nurse. Knowing you have helped make someone's life better, or even saved their life or helped them at the end of their life to be pain free and die with dignity.

I recall visiting Mrs Ms brother and his family one Sunday. He had gone into work that morning. When he came home I asked was he busy and he answered in a boastful voice "I secured a deal worth a million". I sat there thinking "Wow, and all I did this week was successfully resuscitate a chap". 

We all have our own perspective on what is important.

I think we can all agree with this, but then we are Men With Hobbies, who while we can all get morose and cynical at times (and plenty of us on this forum have admitted to periods of poor mental health) tend to be able to cope with the world by having something to distract us.  I shared an office for many years with people who variously, restored antique furniture (eventually making a business out of it), part-owned a couple of racehorses and another who ran ultra-marathons.  Three things I don't do or plan to do myself, but it made for great conversation because each was something that really interested them, likewise they would ask about my railway preservation activity or model railways.

In my career and personal life I have met many who will mock those with an interest in railways (for the usual reasons) but will admit to no interests at all apart from football, which men are somehow expected to be interested in (I like the game but it isn't a big part of my life).  At work, I struggled most to relate to the people who seemed to have no interests in life other than work; the ones who worked , went home, watched the latest big TV series, went to the gym a couple of times a week, couple of foreign holidays a year, etc., but their primary interest in life seemed to be career growth and status.  They tended to be the ones who didn't stick around long when the company's view of their brilliance didn't match their own, and like the one you describe Clive, were often on the Sales side of the business.  If you were running your own business I could understand the passion, but to want to be someone big in someone else's big company?  Not for me thanks.

My own career has been less stellar than I probably hoped 25 years ago, but I've had and still have an interesting CV of "experiences" (people, places and things worked on) while my house doesn't give me railway modelling space, it's paid for now and I know many around here with nice big houses and expensive cars on the drive that are dependent on them keeping that high paid but stressful job.  Without it the bank will be asking questions very quickly.  As both my wife and I have experienced being made redundant, I know which position I'd rather be in.

You say we all have our own perspective on what is important, Clive.  Sadly I think some people don't work that one out until it's too late.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

We've had the same GP for 35 years. He's the same age as me.

He retired at 65, took a month's holiday - something to do with his pension - and then returned to the surgery and has been there ever since albeit on a part time basis.

I retired eleven years ago from a job which I enjoyed despite the occasional frustration. I've got my hobby to keep me going and can potter about at will (Covid aside). He's got no hobbies and is really afraid of retiring because of that - and I can't get him to take an interest in modelling.

I really do feel sorry for him.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Young Andrew P has just altered me to this super buy. No it isn't one of his creations.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184532937489?fbclid=IwAR1rWy1c4qdWI0Wg_ZzIfEiWUt-9a30e58Bzb8Z04D9k1vbu5o8fzljM-ig

At 14x7ft (4 sections) the £3.30 postage seems like a bargain.

Edited by ian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Richard

I went on to do something far more important to me, I became a nurse. Knowing you have helped make someone's life better, or even saved their life or helped them at the end of their life to be pain free and die with dignity.

I recall visiting Mrs Ms brother and his family one Sunday. He had gone into work that morning. When he came home I asked was he busy and he answered in a boastful voice "I secured a deal worth a million". I sat there thinking "Wow, and all I did this week was successfully resuscitate a chap". 

We all have our own perspective on what is important.

Hi Clive,

This thread has opened up some really important discussions about what matters.

I realised soon after retirement (50 years a railwayman) that if life was defined by the work I had just completed then I was left with the question "So is that it?....what is next?"

Like many I am immensely proud of my daughters who have turned into women of consequence doing great work in the NHS.

I volunteered to work in the NHS visiting and chatting to patients in my local hospital. I have done this for nearely six years. I spend my three morning shifts on the cancer and burns units. This has given renewed purpose to my life and tought me so much. I have watched the nurses and doctors in action over these years and whilst they would say.. "I'm just doing my job" they get to the very heart of what it is to be human. Clive, you made such a great decision to become a nurse my hat is off to you.

I agree with Northmoor, our hobby is a great way of dealing with difficult times. It occupies the mind and brings out our innate creativity and delivers a great result...I made that!

Sorry I have gone on too long! I am a fun loving old git really! Life is just great!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 12/11/2020 at 09:55, Mulgabill said:

Hi Clive, have been spending some time at the caravan, between lockdowns. The last visit even saw me hacking away at a triang Hornby mk1 underframe. Can't say any more 'cos I cant afford to contribute to your "swear" box.

But, I've been meaning to ask your advice for some while. On behalf of a friend, (well my brother who's a blue diesels type), you'll understand.

The query relates to early MK1 micro buffets. (OK I'm still with this), which apparently involved the conversions of one bay (compartment?) to form the buffet counter. On the corridor side there was a distinctive double handrail across the window. The question is what was done with the window on the other side? i.e. behind the counter.

Options would appear to be removal, plating over, or frosting the glass.

As you will understand this is all a bit modern for me, so I hope you can help.

All the best, and stay safe

TONY

Many thanks to those who responded so promptly, and with such knowledge, to my post repeated above.

Indeed I may even be tempted to "do" one of them MK1s one day.

However there is one small problem, entirely of my doing. You will recall I was asking for a friend, and my being on unfamiliar ground, since it involved blue and grey stuff.

Well I have been reminded that the question, as posed to me, was apparently supposed to be about MK2

micro-buffets. (Again - the bit I remembered, the early Mk2s a-d, not the later 2F onwards ).

Is there any chance I could trouble somebody to enlighten me, and therefore my friend brother.

I'm already thinking of my next plea for advice from uncle Clive!

Many thanks in anticipation

TONY

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If I may trouble anyone who does actually come here regarding models, if anyone does. 

I have just got a Graham Farrish LMS suburban brake coach, and the compartments are the exact size I need for the thirds. My question is many fold. Does anybody do a plastic roof suitable to be used with these? Who does a 9' LMS type bogie that would be used?  And does anyone have a suggestion for the chassis to use?

Does anyone know why they did a odd sized coach and odd sized compartments?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

If I may trouble anyone who does actually come here regarding models, if anyone does. 

I have just got a Graham Farrish LMS suburban brake coach, and the compartments are the exact size I need for the thirds. My question is many fold. Does anybody do a plastic roof suitable to be used with these? Who does a 9' LMS type bogie that would be used?  And does anyone have a suggestion for the chassis to use?

Does anyone know why they did a odd sized coach and odd sized compartments?

Some of them, I presume later production, came with plastic moulded roofs.  Not much consolation if you've just got one that hasn't, but you might be able to get another which has?

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

As I will need at least five coaches for a three car EMU, I'll just had to keep a eye out.

A further question? Looking on evilbay have noticed different railway colours, are all these just the same inaccurate model in different colours?

I might be able to help. PM me.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't gone, so stop cheering.

A little glimpse at what i am now up to. 

005.jpg.eb16476d5657395a198c03477e42e579.jpg

A GE section CL, they differed from the normal type as made by Hornby and Kirk in having one less first compartment and one more third. The sides were made from left over bits from other conversions.

Another left overs coach is going to be a LNER end door composite brake

002.jpg.fe535c9a7f7e44a927edba109abb793a.jpg

Now something serious,

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I haven't gone, so stop cheering.

A little glimpse at what i am now up to. 

005.jpg.eb16476d5657395a198c03477e42e579.jpg

A GE section CL, they differed from the normal type as made by Hornby and Kirk in having one less first compartment and one more third. The sides were made from left over bits from other conversions.

Another left overs coach is going to be a LNER end door composite brake

002.jpg.fe535c9a7f7e44a927edba109abb793a.jpg

Now something serious,

Please keep us up to date with the compo brake build Clive.