Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

We are in tier 4, got to shout very loudly to spread it around here.

001a.jpg.6a0799ea2939a3c976cd1e37daf38f82.jpg

and a view 180 degrees the other way.

002a.jpg.6e0986646d4e3e42053fb7d961c2f6a7.jpg

No shops in the village, the village hall hasn't put anything on for ages, Louth football team haven't played in ages and I don't know anyone who uses the village pub.

It does mean I meet more people out for a walk when Hugo and Pluto take me for a drag, only because they are bored looking at the same four walls.

Looking at the lower photo I will have to tell Jim that his ploughing isn't straight. Please send chocolates to the hospital not flowers after I have told him.

• Like 5
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

We are in tier 4, got to shout very loudly to spread it around here.

001a.jpg.6a0799ea2939a3c976cd1e37daf38f82.jpg

and a view 180 degrees the other way.

002a.jpg.6e0986646d4e3e42053fb7d961c2f6a7.jpg

No shops in the village, the village hall hasn't put anything on for ages, Louth football team haven't played in ages and I don't know anyone who uses the village pub.

It does mean I meet more people out for a walk when Hugo and Pluto take me for a drag, only because they are bored looking at the same four walls.

Looking at the lower photo I will have to tell Jim that his ploughing isn't straight. Please send chocolates to the hospital not flowers after I have told him.

Hi Clive,

I'm terribly confused, in March we were lied to [had it explained] that it would only take two weeks to flatten the curve but Lincolnshire quite obviously has 180* sky and is therefore as flat as a Lima motor ?!?!

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

I will put me nurses hat on and use the limited knowledge I have on diseases and how they spread.

Respiratory pathogens are passed from one person to another through the moisture in our exhaled breaths, that can be a few feet if breathing gently to infinity if you are a Guards Drill Sergeant Major shouting at number eleven rear rank number 2 Platoon C Company 2 Battalion Scots Guards for fidgeting on rehearsal for the changing of the colour. If in direct line of fire of these droplets, remember many are moving faster than the speed of sound to start with, then you stand a chance of being infected.  Depending on the pathogen when the droplet which is carrying the bug lands on a surface it can remain active for a period of time, if someone touches that surface and then their face, particularly near their mouth or nose they can become infected. 

This transmission route is also aided by some diseases being slow to make people unwell, or even have carriers who show no symptoms, therefore what seem like healthy people can without their knowledge spread them. From February the WHO have been saying take measures to stop the spread of COVID, wash your hands, don't touch your face, keep apart from people, don't spit at each other, wear a mask as it prevents the droplets from traveling, don't gather in big groups etc. Now many have said this seems sensible and easy to do. Others sadly being humans have only taken half measures or the daft ones have ignored the advice. 

Two weeks was very optimistic. Only having limited knowledge of how respiratory diseases can be passed from one person to another I have tried to listen to the scientist not the politicians. Unfortunately it feels like the politicians have acted on the advice they wanted to hear.

I am very upset the impact for all those who businesses and jobs have been damaged by this. I am also upset by the number of people who have died, including a friend of mine. It is not a pleasant illness, as my youngest son had experienced and our own Cheesysmith. Yesterday , Pete aka Bigswordsmith posted he was in hospital with Covid.

I hope you all join me in wishing Pete a speedy recovery.

As for how flat the area of Lincolnshire is where I live on a sunny day the big sky is huge. On an overcast day you can see the rain coming from miles away, enough time for me to take the dogs out and be home in time to advise Mrs M to get the washing in.

The view from the bottom of our land. people talk about me not finishing things the guy behind us has only got as far as making the propellers for his Lancaster kit.

003.jpg.3f23e0a1d4cdb5d5be00eae63dd65c7d.jpg

Your whole post deserved an informative/useful as well as a friendly/supportive but the last photo and caption definitely warrant a funny.

Thanks.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Martin,

Not sure if this is any help but the (Trix Mk.1) windows on my class 126 are 15mm x 12.5mm, which visually gives a good relationship of window size to pillars compared to photos of the real things. Triang Mk.1 windows at 16mm x 14mm give pillars between them that are too narrow. I'm sure Swindon windows aren't as deep as a Mk.1 either but I could be wrong.

Martyn.

I found this on flickr, it embedded I tried to link

(c) John Wolley

59276_1604_Swithland

Window is 15x12, cross bar in 0.8mm, top window height 3.5mm, small 8mm

Worked out from 34mm bogie wheelbase and 25mm side height

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Got to say, that would drive me nuts Clive. Anything less than a 1 in 10 is only a small hill round here. All that flat land. 

Clive only has to drive into the Wolds to find those kind of hills. 

Grantham has a couple of 1 in 12 grades

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Got to say, that would drive me nuts Clive. Anything less than a 1 in 10 is only a small hill round here. All that flat land. 

Interesting you say that.

Way back in the last century, I had cause to move to near Fenland from my native Lancashire for three years. At first I had the same feelings that you've expressed, this is awful, tedious, how does anyone stand it etc. After a bit it started to grow on me. After a bit more, now living and working in central London, I found myself driving up for a day at the weekend, on such jaunts as tracing the path of the Wisbech tramway. After a further bit more, now late 90's, I persuaded my wife to move to somewhere quite close indeed, and days into Fenland and South Lincolnshire became very frequent to look at both trains and buses.

So it does have a character and charm of its own, though for those used to hills and moors it might take a while to feel appreciation.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

I will put me nurses hat on and use the limited knowledge I have on diseases and how they spread.

Respiratory pathogens are passed from one person to another through the moisture in our exhaled breaths, that can be a few feet if breathing gently to infinity if you are a Guards Drill Sergeant Major shouting at number eleven rear rank number 2 Platoon C Company 2 Battalion Scots Guards for fidgeting on rehearsal for the changing of the colour. If in direct line of fire of these droplets, remember many are moving faster than the speed of sound to start with, then you stand a chance of being infected.  Depending on the pathogen when the droplet which is carrying the bug lands on a surface it can remain active for a period of time, if someone touches that surface and then their face, particularly near their mouth or nose they can become infected. 

This transmission route is also aided by some diseases being slow to make people unwell, or even have carriers who show no symptoms, therefore what seem like healthy people can without their knowledge spread them. From February the WHO have been saying take measures to stop the spread of COVID, wash your hands, don't touch your face, keep apart from people, don't spit at each other, wear a mask as it prevents the droplets from traveling, don't gather in big groups etc. Now many have said this seems sensible and easy to do. Others sadly being humans have only taken half measures or the daft ones have ignored the advice. 

Two weeks was very optimistic. Only having limited knowledge of how respiratory diseases can be passed from one person to another I have tried to listen to the scientist not the politicians. Unfortunately it feels like the politicians have acted on the advice they wanted to hear.

I am very upset the impact for all those who businesses and jobs have been damaged by this. I am also upset by the number of people who have died, including a friend of mine. It is not a pleasant illness, as my youngest son had experienced and our own Cheesysmith. Yesterday , Pete aka Bigswordsmith posted he was in hospital with Covid.

I hope you all join me in wishing Pete a speedy recovery.

As for how flat the area of Lincolnshire is where I live on a sunny day the big sky is huge. On an overcast day you can see the rain coming from miles away, enough time for me to take the dogs out and be home in time to advise Mrs M to get the washing in.

The view from the bottom of our land. people talk about me not finishing things the guy behind us has only got as far as making the propellers for his Lancaster kit.

003.jpg.3f23e0a1d4cdb5d5be00eae63dd65c7d.jpg

Hi Clive,

It would seem that you have taken a Flat Earth joke about your photgrapahs of Lincolnshire using political lies and Covid for references as a Covid Joke using political lies and Flat Earth for references. I'm sorry that the joke caught a nerve, it was near the knuckle and it tipped the wrong way.

Jokes ought to reflect life and I especially like black humour, however I have more sense than to be overt with regard Covid for too many people will refuse to see the joke however the words are worked.

As for the world that surrounds me, so far since April I have struggled to earn £13482.45, I would normally expect well over twice that without even trying. Who will be buying my dinner when my bank card won't work in the shops ? Now that is not funny.

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

It would seem that you have taken a Flat Earth joke about your photgrapahs of Lincolnshire using political lies and Covid for references as a Covid Joke using political lies and Flat Earth for references. I'm sorry that the joke caught a nerve, it was near the knuckle and it tipped the wrong way.

Jokes ought to reflect life and I especially like black humour, however I have more sense than to be overt with regard Covid for too many people will refuse to see the joke however the words are worked.

As for the world that surrounds me, so far since April I have struggled to earn £13482.45, I would normally expect well over twice that without even trying. Who will be buying my dinner when my bank card won't work in the shops ? Now that is not funny.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

You didn't hit a nerve. I heard the blond buffoon say "two weeks". He had no idea of the impact on ordinary people's lives this would have, none of us did. For the best part of this year most people have been trying to follow the rules, but I am sure many of us and I include myself have not been as strict with ourselves as we should have been. I am not a virologist or an economist so I cannot say if the handling of the situation could have been better. All I do know is as a nation we need to try and prevent the spread so businesses can get back to work, stop other people becoming unwell and families morning over the loss of a loved one.

I have played this song before but the lines "The paramedic thinks i'm clever cos i play guitar, I think she's clever cos she stops people dying" show that in our lives the guitar player and the paramedic are both important as is everyone in between that makes the jigsaw called society work. Lets all hope this horrendous situation we are all in does end soon. 

Everyone have a happy new year and please stay safe.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

He's made too many propellers for one Lancaster but not enough for two.  He's also left them on the sprues, presumably to make painting easier.  No wonder he's not making any progress. 

Hi Doc

There are eight propellers in all, I think he is building a Flying Fortress as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Several people have commented on the flatness around where I live. When we looking for place for us and the horses to move to within our budget it was either Lincolnshire or South West Wales. I am so pleased we chose here. Well one has to think of the future, living here will be less of a problem for Mrs M when she pushes me in my wheel chair.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Several people have commented on the flatness around where I live. When we looking for place for us and the horses to move to within our budget it was either Lincolnshire or South West Wales. I am so pleased we chose here. Well one has to think of the future, living here will be less of a problem for Mrs M when she pushes me in my wheel chair.

Hi Clive,

If you lived at the top of a hill in South Wales and Mrs M released the brake on your wheel chair would that be a mixture of altitude sickness compounded by attitude sickness ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

If you lived at the top of a hill in South Wales and Mrs M released the brake on your wheel chair would that be a mixture of altitude sickness compounded by attitude sickness ?

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

That was one of the fears I had, a big push downhill "Aberystwyth is five miles that way, enjoy the roller coaster ride." Whizz.....

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

36 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

My top five songs of 2020

Number Five

Number four...very hard to choose which Idles song

Number three

Number two ...they had to give the toys back, what a pity.

Number one...Second

Hi Clive,

This is my number one philosophical rambling of the year:

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

This is my number one philosophical rambling of the year:

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

After seeing the geezer in the checked shorts at 1.30 my mind drifted. I think I missed the message of the video, but did come up with an alternative dress how you like but not in a trilby titfer and checked shorts.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive only has to drive into the Wolds to find those kind of hills. 

Grantham has a couple of 1 in 12 grades

Paul

Not to mention a certain well-named street in Lincoln. The bypass on the A16 isn't exactly flat either (says he whose bedroom used to look out across the Wolds)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2