Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The bogie looks like one just for moving it, it has roller bearings. Mk1 single bolster bogies with roller bearings are only seen on 4 CEP/BEPs, DEMUs, North London BR stock and GE Southend Stock in service.

And lot 30349 SKs from 1957, including this one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peeps

My up and go seems to have taken a runner so action isn't happening at Sheffield Exchange.

Here is some thing to brighten you up, it did me. Sal and Pops normal videos are of them being daft and dancing. They were doing some gigs with the Northern Soul Orchestra until Covid put an end to them. They have just released this video, enjoy. 

Back in the days before punk I use to enjoy having a bit of a dance to Northern Soul, not very good at it but getting up and dancing did help with getting a young lady to dance when the DJ said  "Weee arrre nooowww  gooooing  toooooo sllloooowww thingsssssss ddooowwwwnnnn." And the mad rush for the ladies loo to hide form the ugly geezer who had been eyeing up nearly every bird before he and the other ugly geezers found somewhere safe to put their pints.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And the mad rush for the ladies loo to hide form the ugly geezer who had been eyeing up nearly every bird before he and the other ugly geezers found somewhere safe to put their pints.

Don't forget the plain but desperate one who hung around to see whether anyone would actually pull her...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

But with your beer goggles on that was a home run.

Mike.

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Never mind the quality, feel the width.

Hi Folks,

There is nothing like the talk of "Ten to Twoers" and "Double Baggers" to remind me of this by The Smiths:

It is this verse that sums it all up:

"There's a club if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home and you cry
And you want to die"

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was lucky at 19 I escaped the club scene and started to go and see bands like this, 

No longer stuck in that formula of having to drink, looking cool and trying to pick up a girl, but I went out for fun and if I ended up being taken home by a young lady it was a bonus.

The stage looked massive at the Electric Ballroom when pogoing. On this video how small is it?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Before Xmas I won a lot at Vectis Auctions. It arrived today, some lovely and some not so lovely coaches.

The duff ones are an Exley LMS BZG, just naff, an Exley LMS dining car, too short, a Hornby Doublo Mk1 sleeper, too short and a Hornby Doublo LMS coach, too short. Bobbie has offered to sell them on e-bay for me.

Acceptable with a bit of work, 2 Exley LMS SKs and 2 Hornby Doublo Mk1 suburban second brakes. 

Good ones, kit built, a LMS all steel period 1 third open, a LMS period 1  sleeper third, these where convertible to day or night use, some survived in BR days in this format, and an LMS period 1 BG, the lining out on this is superb, it would be a shame should some fat bald bloke paint into plain BR maroon. Two L&YR coaches, a first open and a corridor third, both types lasted to the late 1950s so just sneak into my all steam time period. I think I got my monies worth with the kit built coaches alone.

There is also a very short van, it looks a little like a horse box but I think it might be something like a hound van. It is a white metal kit.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No longer stuck in that formula of having to drink, looking cool and trying to pick up a girl, but I went out for fun and if I ended up being taken home by a young lady it was a bonus.

You and me both Morty !  Happy dayz !!!

• Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Before Xmas I won a lot at Vectis Auctions. It arrived today, some lovely and some not so lovely coaches.

The duff ones are an Exley LMS BZG, just naff, an Exley LMS dining car, too short, a Hornby Doublo Mk1 sleeper, too short and a Hornby Doublo LMS coach, too short. Bobbie has offered to sell them on e-bay for me.

Acceptable with a bit of work, 2 Exley LMS SKs and 2 Hornby Doublo Mk1 suburban second brakes. 

Good ones, kit built, a LMS all steel period 1 third open, a LMS period 1  sleeper third, these where convertible to day or night use, some survived in BR days in this format, and an LMS period 1 BG, the lining out on this is superb, it would be a shame should some fat bald bloke paint into plain BR maroon. Two L&YR coaches, a first open and a corridor third, both types lasted to the late 1950s so just sneak into my all steam time period. I think I got my monies worth with the kit built coaches alone.

There is also a very short van, it looks a little like a horse box but I think it might be something like a hound van. It is a white metal kit.

Pictures?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Before showing my latest "win" I will some some photos of the LNER stuff I am tinkering with.

OK bear with me as the bodies are only plonked on Trix chassis, and the roofs have only been cut to size not glued yet.

004.jpg.3b33c4860d158bcce4b05a537e800e47.jpg

Corridor side of a six compartment brake second.

003.jpg.ef81044b44dc31488241531286f2095a.jpg

Compartment side of a CK, this is a 2 1/2 first and 5 second compartment CK, less common than the 3 1/2 F and 4 S version.

002.jpg.539f4c285b7390f752b1a3f0d833e015.jpg

GE line short CK

001.jpg.551d4998ca96a2d4167adedb76af3297.jpg

An Oh dear,what has happened here photo of the end door BCK Compartment side? That guards door needs sorting out, it is all on the wonk.

The body has shifted off the chassis, as I said they are only plonked on.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The kit models.

005.jpg.3a5f910ee4cfa5d1493f086f576fa49b.jpg

The L&YR open first, the end gangways have come off and so has some of the window vents, repairable.

007.jpg.5fa1d6409d79d8d80e66fa197b0a4e7b.jpg

The L&YR TK corridor side

020.jpg.4a1d2e6d54c8e310344e7ea82efa1940.jpg

Compartment side, it needs updating to an electric lit coach.

008.jpg.e5c9159bdab9ce64c270318e62f39859.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy photo but the Third class sleeper corridor side.

019.jpg.57473c15051db5c483d53ea3e70af049.jpg

Compartment side, it has been built running as a day coach. How many retained this feature in BR days and did they run as day coaches.

009.jpg.454e67328de9668e51b05af34e6ad093.jpg

The steel bodied Third open

010.jpg.16d2d37e661ac71208536873f1ffc5b9.jpg

The period 1 BG, it looks lovely like this, not sure repainting to a BR livery will do it justice.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The ones I will keep and upgrade.

011.jpg.11c1f6cda9290b140abaf2511d0d211a.jpg

012.jpg.7df92261272fadf89c9b5b64044b4756.jpg

The two Exley coaches, despite having 1s on the doors they are models of SKs, upgrade the undergubbins and maybe new bogies.

013.jpg.2ad612a3e6d20fb194c54685b2a54932.jpg

One of the two Hornby Doublo BSs.  There is quite a bit of potential in up grading these.

015.jpg.9a779f655c23ed7514517ac3195d5ed9.jpg

I placed the BZG (or is it BGZ?) next to the one I am making from left over Airfix coaches, I have changed my mind, it is staying but needs a little upgrading.

014.jpg.61fabb32b786f1b1eb8268350188d79c.jpg

And finally the little van thingy, too small for a horse box but looks like a hound van or something similar. It is a white metal kit so I presume it is based on a prototype, any ideas?

• Like 12