Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

5 hours ago, Ray H said:

I have a vague recollection from my days with LUL and its predecessors/successors that what modellers frequently call bogies were often referred to as trucks by the rolling stock people..

Would that be due to the influence of the American money and technology used in the early tube? After all, they are still called trucks in the USA. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been running trains, first time in a while. All loco hauled by diesels and I have mixed up the regions as well, great fun. I had a bit of a problem with my green liveried class 56 as it didn't want to run. It needed some oil and a wheel clean, last time I ran it would have been DEMU Showcase 2006, 14 1/2 years ago. After a while it ran lovely. I don't think I have ever had it pull a train or run as long as it did tonight. Going the other way round was my scratchbuilt Falcon, at speed its Tri-ang class 31 bogie gives off a wonderful roar, who needs sound fitted n-gins?

Photos later in the week for Messrs Peters and Irven.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo MICK

No real green livery.

D9621.jpg.ed6fb174ecbf0c475cac318d8e8de56e.jpg

A song for tonight.

Clive,

This proves you once had the ability to paint!  As the 56 hasn’t run for 14 years, does this confirm the last date you attacked a model with a loaded paint brush?

Paul

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive,

This proves you once had the ability to paint!  As the 56 hasn’t run for 14 years, does this confirm the last date you attacked a model with a loaded paint brush?

Paul

Hi Paul

You could be right.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been running trains, first time in a while. All loco hauled by diesels and I have mixed up the regions as well, great fun. I had a bit of a problem with my green liveried class 56 as it didn't want to run. It needed some oil and a wheel clean, last time I ran it would have been DEMU Showcase 2006, 14 1/2 years ago. After a while it ran lovely. I don't think I have ever had it pull a train or run as long as it did tonight. Going the other way round was my scratchbuilt Falcon, at speed its Tri-ang class 31 bogie gives off a wonderful roar, who needs sound fitted n-gins?

Photos later in the week for Messrs Peters and Irven.

47 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Still waiting.:swoon:

Inpatient as ever. :read:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

See what happens with DCC. Had there been a driver not a computer in command ....................

Whoops, Not my fault Guv, Honest, You can trust me, I'm an Ex Car Salesman, (also did Double Glazing for 3 Months):laugh:

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Author

Edit

Posted 2 hours ago

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Firstly, Clive, my condolences on the loss of your Uncle John,

So, to lighten things a bit, I thought you might like to know the the (fictional) history of my new layout - Wycombe End? 

So here we go plus a few photos including one of the signal box diagram that Simon made to go with the layout!

Wycombe End is a small rail connected industrial estate somewhere in South Buckinghamshire near to High Wycombe. The yard was first developed c1960 around an existing wagon repair shop. In return for allowing development of the land around the wagon repair shop the developers built the repair business a modern workshop which was much more efficient than their old rambling workshops.

1568159979_PaulPHOTO-2021-01-10-14-55-24-01.jpg.45e6e74c39d4b401d25698bab8509f82.jpg

Going clockwise round the layout, next to the wagon repair shop, there is a siding which holds completed wagons and also has a wagon/coach/loco washing plant. Moving along the layout we come to the old offices of the repair business which are now an office for Network Rail, several of whose vehicles are parked close by including one of their rail mountable Land Rovers. At the left hand corner of the layout there is the head shunt to the wagon repair and wash plant sidings.

Next to the head shunt is a two road Locomotive workshop. This is part of a business that began when one of the partners in the repair workshop bought an ex BR steam loco. It is now a thriving business doing work for private owners of locos and also several of the privatised railway companies. As well as the two road building that undertakes lighter repair work next to it is a a single road heavy repair shop. In the centre of the layout there is a two road fueling facility but usually one road is occupied by fuel tankers as one road is sufficient for the amount of fueling necessary.

Over the back fence of the site can be seen the more modern buildings constructed in more recent times  but these are not rail connected. Moving to the right along the back fence of the site we come to a two road facility used for unloading and loading goods from and to rail vans, some of which arrive from the continent. (in the above photo, it shows Simon, the layout's builders, take on the rear two sidings as a container terminal.)

Moving further round clockwise, back towards the wagon repair shop, we cross the access line to/from the site and come to a small modern building which houses a metal work shop which supports the rai and other businesses on the site. Here are two pictures of that business from different angles. The owners Range Rover is parked outside and Parcel Force are just making a delivery. You may be able to see Fred, the buildings oldest fitter who has nipped out for a craft fag, only to be caught out by the arrival of the Parcel Force van!

574327187_PaulPhotoHomeLayout1.jpg.0b6610a3fc5be0114cf0da4eb621b5a7.jpg

1553223253_PaulPhotoHomeLayout2.jpg.fcd08c2cf02046a97d0ef3d83d810bd7.jpg

In the top right corner of the above shot you can see some of the buildings on the fiddle yard board. More of this board and its buildings will be told in a (much!) later post.

I will also tell you stories about the various businesses and their people in future postings!

Finally, here is the signal box diagram, although the signal box is now a canteen for the site.

2084632862_PaulPhotoHomeLayout1Plan.jpg.37f45abdfbafc1a11eefced0f8f9067e.jpg

Best regards

Paul

• Like 6

Hi Clive, and other followers,

I promised you a few posts ago more on my newly aquired layout Wycombe End:-

So today, taking a trip round the site, we have arrive at the Wagon Repair Shop.

This is a modern building, dating, I am told from the mid 1960s, but I am no expert on the history of modern building construction! 

It has two covered roads which can hold two modern lwb or short bogie wagons on each plus another couple of wagons outside on each. Beside them is a long siding which has a small vehicle washing plant on its outer end and can hold 4/5 long wagons between that and the buffers. This siding is usually used to hold completed wagons. If you look at the photo below, you will see that today it just has one hopper wagon just outshopped in pristine EWS colours.

On the other two roads there are various vans and bogie hoppers awaiting attention. Three of these await one of the shops specialities - graffiti removal, although wagons seldom come just for this, it is usually carried out as part of other works as few owners or operators can afford the lost revenue from such non essential work!

1504835236_PaulPhotoWagonRepairs-1.jpg.b110f281d6d055656483358273a3e929.jpg

Now I think Clive will be particularly taken with these wagons- a variety of colours, the vans especially, being in bare aluminium base, what's not to like? (Sorry about the full pristine paint jobby, but its part of the story!). 

1439142680_PaulPhotoWagonRepairs-2.jpg.79b39c775f6a01308c222e80a093326c.jpg

Can anyone see , on the fence, in the foreground of the above photo, another curse of modern society? No prizes for guessing, just points for observation?

Just in front of the shop doors can be seen the heavy lifting gear used to remove wheel sets or bogies from wagons.

Beyond the  workshop is the track access to the site and a siding used to hold inward/outward wagons awaiting pick up. Today there are a couple of LWB vans there, similar to the graffiti covered example in the shop sidings.

Now I know the all the wagons above have variations on the tension lock theme. Have patience dear readers, they will be Kaydee'd in due course!

Behind the shop is a two storey block of Portakabin type offices that are the administrative offices for the repair shop, We will see them in close up later in our tour.

Next time, we will look at the vehicle washing plant, and at the site fence adjacent to it where repairs are taking place. This fence actually belongs to BR/Network Rail whose property lies on the other side of the fence, which is why their operatives are doing the repairs.  

Meanwhile test running of locos on Wycombe End continues, as does use of my Test Track to reset the operating numbers of locos, to avid the mischief caused by having several all responding to 003!

Best regards

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Clive, I've suddenly taken a liking to Country and Western Music.:o:dancer:

Hi Andy

Some of there stuff is not that good in my opinion, I was watching some of the videos the other night.

Anyhow , no trains ran tonight. I hacked some Lima 117 DMU bits into a class 115 four car unit and made the body for a 121 DTS only to find I don't have a spare 117 center car under frame...I am sure I can come up with a solution.

Photos possibly tomorra if I remember.

Tonight's tune is newish from 羊文学, they are not like many Japanese bands I view on You Tube. They are not into an image but seem to concentrate on their indie style of music, enjoy

There drummer Hiroa Fukuda, is huge, very non Japanese.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Clive, I've suddenly taken a liking to Country and Western Music.:o:dancer:

So that's what they mean by some **** from Preston.................................

:blush:

**** is a four letter word and rhymes with punt

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6