Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, richard i said:

There is a paint shop!?

There is a new compressor, airbrushes and an extractor in their boxes. Still gotta decorate the workshop and get some benches to plonk the Portrait cutter, 3D printer, vertical drill, lathe and workspace on to.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Two trains the same colour, running at the same time.

Trying out the video camera on the tablet thingy.

No they're not.  The engines are distinctly different colour to the wagons. Makes it so much better.

(Would have been OK to be the same colour if they were *esterns or *arships.)

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There is a new compressor, airbrushes and an extractor in their boxes. Still gotta decorate the workshop and get some benches to plonk the Portrait cutter, 3D printer, vertical drill, lathe and workspace on to.

You have a cutter?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

In the meantime Clive is happy to just use his trusty Stanley knife, a straight edge, a couple of files and some plasticard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

You have a cutter?

40 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

In the meantime Clive is happy to just use his trusty Stanley knife, a straight edge, a couple of files and some plasticard.

Hi Martyn and Woody.

Yes I have a cutter, only been used by my eldest so far. One day I will fire it up.

No not a Stanley knife but a number 11  Bard-Parker blade in a Swann-Morton brass craft-knife handle. And yes I am very happy with my collection of straight edges and files which I use on the plastic card.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martyn and Woody.

Yes I have a cutter, only been used by my eldest so far. One day I will fire it up.

No not a Stanley knife but a number 11  Bard-Parker blade in a Swann-Morton brass craft-knife handle. And yes I am very happy with my collection of straight edges and files which I use on the plastic card.

Hi Clive,

I use the No.10A blade for cutting out, is there any advantage to be had with the No.11 ?

Just the other day a box of 100 No.10A arrived so it may be a while yet before I give them a try. The only other blade I use is the No.10, I seem to get by all the same despite being a cheap skate and using stainless steel handles.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

No they're not.  The engines are distinctly different colour to the wagons. Makes it so much better.

(Would have been OK to be the same colour if they were *esterns or *arships.)

Paul.

I have a Warship, well 3, one in green, one in maroon and one in blue (the blue one is for Pig Lane)

I also have 3 Westerns, two in blue (used on Pig Lane) and a green one. They looked their best in green.

You do not have to put 10p into the swear box when mentioning Warships, Westerns, Hymeks or Baby Warships as they are diesels and do not have copper capped exhaust pipes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

32 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

If it's brass, is yours old?

I remember my dad had a collection of the plastic handled Swann-Mortons, I wonder if I have one myself somewhere now after I hoovered up the mortal remains of his railway in early 2020.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I use the No.10A blade for cutting out, is there any advantage to be had with the No.11 ?

Just the other day a box of 100 No.10A arrived so it may be a while yet before I give them a try. The only other blade I use is the No.10, I seem to get by all the same despite being a cheap skate and using stainless steel handles.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Possibly none, I just got use to using number 11s.

I think with tools which are very similar we all find which is most suitable for our use. I cannot use a Bard-Parker handle (scalpel blade handle) , they are too uncomfortable for me. I find the Swann-Morton plastic handled craft knife awkward to use these days after using them for years.  As for other types of craft knife none seem to fit my hand, or is my hand doesn't fit them.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I remember my dad had a collection of the plastic handled Swann-Mortons, I wonder if I have one myself somewhere now after I hoovered up the mortal remains of his railway in early 2020.

The one I am using is about seven years old, new from Squires or Eileen's at a show when I forgot to pack a craft knife. The other one possibly as old as me as it was given to me by Mrs M. Mk1's dad and we divorced in 1985.

Edit, you can still buy them

https://www.trainshop.co.uk/tool/7282-swann-morton-brass-craft-knife-handle-1000.html

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have a Warship, well 3, one in green, one in maroon and one in blue (the blue one is for Pig Lane)

I also have 3 Westerns, two in blue (used on Pig Lane) and a green one. They looked their best in green.

You do not have to put 10p into the swear box when mentioning Warships, Westerns, Hymeks or Baby Warships as they are diesels and do not have copper capped exhaust pipes.

In the case of the type 2s, they frequently didn't have other bits as well (Notably bodyside valences). And

one suspects some engine bits, judging by their availability rate.

TONY

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I would just like to take this chance to reassure regular viewers to this thread that normally will be resumed soon. Our esteemed originator has not been replaced with a clone who does paint things, it just was random luck and chance that the trains ended up in the same colours. 

You know, just like the monkeys with the typewriters.

• Funny 8

2 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

I would just like to take this chance to reassure regular viewers to this thread that normally will be resumed soon. Our esteemed originator has not been replaced with a clone who does paint things, it just was random luck and chance that the trains ended up in the same colours. 

You know, just like the monkeys with the typewriters.

Hi Dave,

Glad you managed to get that out in a coherent fashion !!!

Gibbo.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A song for tonight, an oldie and a goodie,

I do like a bit of BRMC, but preferred Robert's father's band The Call. BRMC covered this song after Micheal Bean, who was acting as their sound engineer, died of a heart attack backstage at the Pukkelpop Festival in Belgium

and then there's this, which is one on my "happy songs"

One of my friends, Dan Donovan, is a muso from Chatteris who has had various bands over the years. His band King Kool got to play just before BRMC at Greenbelt festival in Cheltenham a few years ago. Dan was ecstatic about this!

RIP Michael, thank you for the music.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Who would waste time and money to take me to New York. I still don't know why there is so much fuss about a sleepy village on the road to Boston?

image.png.4a5cc5c436c53ba67208b366df702929.png

Did you know that you can get 125mph (indicated) out of a G registered Vauxhall Cavalier down that road.*

Mike.

* According to a friend.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

18 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Now that's something I wouldn't use.

This follows an experience some years ago when the plastic handle snapped in the act of cutting, and embedded the end of the blade (not the cutting end) in my thumb. Not a mega bleed, but enough to make sure the replacement was a brass one, I think I now have two. Maybe your Dad was less of ham fisted xxxx than me!

John.

• Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Now that's something I wouldn't use.

This follows an experience some years ago when the plastic handle snapped in the act of cutting, and embedded the end of the blade (not the cutting end) in my thumb. Not a mega bleed, but enough to make sure the replacement was a brass one, I think I now have two. Maybe your Dad was less of ham fisted xxxx than me!

John.

I had something similar with a plastic one, the blade split the handle. Fortunately my fingers were well clear of anything despite the sudden collapse under pressure.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

the sudden collapse under pressure.

Swann Morton knives and blades are not made to withstand any great amount of pressure, if you have to use pressure you're using the wrong tool.

Bear in mind what SM knives and blades are intended to cut, and it's not plastic/wood/cork etc.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7