Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Now I have removed the image of the PVC outfit (him, not her, obviously) from my mind, I have a model question.

There is a DC it's 504 EMU I want on evilbay, but looking at the photo it has the toilet compartment side for the driving trailer coach. This is wrong? All photos show no toilet compartment on these. Am I correct?

I was following this as well, more out of interest as to the final price than anything else as I have far too much stuff already!

Good luck!

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was right. Just checking as it has been a few years since I last got to see one. At least one has been preserved even if it is only used as a towed cartridge on the ELR.

I don't know about anybody else, but this lockdown is getting to me. I the respect of missing the model shows and going out for a day on the preserved lines. Being In. Sheffield, I am close to the ELR, GCR and the MR. When the lockdown finished I am off to the first diesel day they run.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

I was right. Just checking as it has been a few years since I last got to see one. At least one has been preserved even if it is only used as a towed cartridge on the ELR.

I don't know about anybody else, but this lockdown is getting to me. I the respect of missing the model shows and going out for a day on the preserved lines. Being In. Sheffield, I am close to the ELR, GCR and the MR. When the lockdown finished I am off to the first diesel day they run.

I used to commute daily by train, I miss it.  Unlike many I thought It was productive time, good for reading or a 20-min doze.

Re: the DC Kits 504, when I searched on eBay I also found a "Class 89 body".  Can anyone confirm that is a real DC Kits body, or a dodgy knock-off?  I can't believe Charlie would have sold a moulding as poor as that; errors in bodypanels aside, the quality of the parts was always very good.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You could just open the door - no locks or if you're feeling nimble fire it out of the window.

Many moons ago my mate and I had been to London, after a good skin full of London Pride and were making our way home to Colchester on a 308, we left Liverpool street with a compartment to ourselves. By Stratford our bladders were saying empty us. We stopped at Stratford, on got a family. Hopefully they will get off at Illford...no, maybe Romford.....no, they must live in Shenfield....no chance.... Chelmsford....must be joking (things had started to get painful) ....finally at Witham we were able to say good bye to them. Both door lights down, me one side and my mate the other side, we were still going as the train whizzed through Kelvedon.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

I like the tags to my post from others. But just to make people aware, I am one of the lucky ones. Being in the bus industry I am not locked in my house, I have to got to work, even though it does put me at more risk. The need to get out and about to interact with others , this outbreak has shown how important it is.

I think I miss the enjoyment of the preserved lines, which the big railway has lost, with its sterile plastic sealed tubes which all you can do is sit in the ironing board excuses for seats with your thumb up you ass as there isn't even enough room for tables for you to do anything.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Many moons ago my mate and I had been to London, after a good skin full of London Pride and were making our way home to Colchester on a 308, we left Liverpool street with a compartment to ourselves. By Stratford our bladders were saying empty us. We stopped at Stratford, on got a family. Hopefully they will get off at Illford...no, maybe Romford.....no, they must live in Shenfield....no chance.... Chelmsford....must be joking (things had started to get painful) ....finally at Witham we were able to say good bye to them. Both door lights down, me one side and my mate the other side, we were still going as the train whizzed through Kelvedon.

Hi Clive,

My last, "out of the door" experience was 47 593 Galloway Princess just south of Ribblehead Station on the Midland travelling on the up. The good thing about cab doors is that they open inwards and so having to stand on tip toes isn't such a problem.

Gibbo.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A person of my acquaintance had a similar need on a DMU service from Paddington to Reading. Unfortunately he was in mid-flow when an HST went past at high-speed on the next line...

Edited by ian
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

My last, "out of the door" experience was 47 593 Galloway Princess just south of Ribblehead Station on the Midland travelling on the up. The good thing about cab doors is that they open inwards and so having to stand on tip toes isn't such a problem.

Gibbo.

I take it you weren't the driver :o

They carry old water bottles I think...hope....maybe not...eugh

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ian said:

A person of my acquaintance had a similar need on a DMU service from Paddington to Reading. Unfortunately he was in mid-flow when an HST went past at high-speed on the next line...

Hi Ian,

That reminds me of a story recounted by a chap I once worked with that had been part of the testing of the prototype HST. It was decided that the research team need to know what would happen to the toilet discharge at 125 mph.

The plan was to fill a toilet bowl in the leading coach with white wash and then flush it when travelling at 125mph. This was done and the result was that the white wash covered the bogies and underframe valances of the first couple of coaches and the door handles and grab rails of all the rest. It was another forty odd years before retention tanks became a requirement.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

I have heard a story which I haven’t have no reason to believe is not true of a driver who wedged the ‘dead mans’ down on an AC Electrics going slowly up Shap or Beattock in order to stand in the doorway, whereupon the loco lurched violently depositing him lineside.  It was only an AWS intervention at the next caution that stopped the train!

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I used to commute daily by train, I miss it.  Unlike many I thought It was productive time, good for reading or a 20-min doze.

Re: the DC Kits 504, when I searched on eBay I also found a "Class 89 body".  Can anyone confirm that is a real DC Kits body, or a dodgy knock-off?  I can't believe Charlie would have sold a moulding as poor as that; errors in bodypanels aside, the quality of the parts was always very good.

Silver Fox are still offering their class 89 body new, he is "skmodeller" on ebay. I think he produced most of the resin bodies included in the DC kits composite kits.

Priced at £57, probably worth giving him a ring to see what the price would be direct.

John.

• Informative/Useful 1

I was held up to the window on some non corridor stock in Germany for a pee by my mother in the mid 70s aged about three. I cursed the day my own kids could have done with the same ability when traveling on commuter trains home. All sealed windows and doors. Fortunately later NJ transit double deckers had one car with a loo. Even my wife got good a spotting which one that was to ensure kids could relieve themselves before getting in the car after a day in NYC. No public loos in NYC either so a real minefield of a day with three little ones.

Richard

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Ian,

That reminds me of a story recounted by a chap I once worked with that had been part of the testing of the prototype HST. It was decided that the research team need to know what would happen to the toilet discharge at 125 mph.

The plan was to fill a toilet bowl in the leading coach with white wash and then flush it when travelling at 125mph. This was done and the result was that the white wash covered the bogies and underframe valances of the first couple of coaches and the door handles and grab rails of all the rest. It was another forty odd years before retention tanks became a requirement.

Gibbo.

Gibbo,

Being someone who has spent the last 18 years working lineside on the ECML, I can vouch for the spread of the flush from a HST Toilet.  It was common to observe a HST approaching and turn your back on it just after the lead driving cab had passed by.  It avoided much unpleasantness!

It was also common for drivers to report a HST on fire in the middle of the train.  It was usually steam and spray when the Chef emptied the kitchen sink!!!!!

As for bottles of Tizer, I’m not going there. 

Paul

p.s. This morning I have been assisting the OHLE Staff in removing ice from Peascliffe Tunnel in -4C temperatures.  Oh the fun.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gibbo,

Being someone who has spent the last 18 years working lineside on the ECML, I can vouch for the spread of the flush from a HST Toilet.  It was common to observe a HST approaching and turn your back on it just after the lead driving cab had passed by.  It avoided much unpleasantness!

It was also common for drivers to report a HST on fire in the middle of the train.  It was usually steam and spray when the Chef emptied the kitchen sink!!!!!

Paul

p.s. This morning I have been assisting the OHLE Staff in removing ice from Peascliffe Tunnel in -4C temperatures.  Oh the fun.

Hi Paul

Many years ago when Tangmere was on test I drew the short straw to have to go underneath when stood at platform 12 at Crewe. Crawling around, I put my hand in something and thought, "I hope that's grease.", unfortunately it wasn't !

I felt a lot better after a lot of hot water in a bucket from the injector overflow and some soap.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

8 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gibbo,

Paul

You guys working trackside in all weathers deserve some recognition, to give a vague idea of the sort of conditions you have to put up with here's the view from the rear of my 158 doing about 70 on the up slow between Grantham and Peterborough yesterday. A zoomer train doing about 100 was invisible until it was around 50 yards away despite the high intensity headlight.

IMG_20210210_084657946.jpg.4d990dd4344c4654bad354c35532691f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Gibbo,

I feel your pain. Been there a couple of times. The things we remember!!!

Great Central,

A perfect example of the effects of snow.  That snow storm following your 158 will deposit a cloud of frozen crystals that engulfs everything trackside.  It’s one of the main reasons for point failures at the moment.  The cloud hits cold metal and instantly freezes.  The more trains passing, the more ice. Point heating elements help, but at the moment in sheltered locations they cannot stop the build up of ice and consequential failures.

On Tuesday I was engulfed in several snow clouds whilst at High Dyke, as well as one proper Blizzard.  I’m glad I’m off for the next 5 days

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gang

I was recently contacted by John (Rowanj) regarding converting a Hornby 110 into a 4 car class 104. That got me thinking about the two 110s I acquired off Vectis Auction, what shall I do with them? Plan A was to leave one as a 110 and make the other into another 3 car 104. Heljan will be making a better model than mine (or not) but not a four car unit. So what the hell, I will make another 4 car.

011.jpg.2a338f55b8c3b4ade7cb4122c58e6e38.jpg

First thing make a TBS by chopping off the brake from the DMBC and crafting on to a TS body. I have also installed the motor in the van as it is less noticeable in there.

The cabs on the two DMC need sorting

008.jpg.ebebed42f386ab303433f2a179dde292.jpg

009.jpg.b5951fd7fc3769fca2a8a05a07d9b9af.jpg

John used Silver Fox cabs, I did my normal bish bash bosh.

Next is to couple it to my other BRCW NER four car unit

010.jpg.33c3d0b11019fc416ffe21e157f8aae5.jpg

And enjoy watching it run, which I did for about 20 minutes. I also videoed it on my phone then remembered for some reason beyond my IT skills I can no longer upload to You Tube off me phone.

013.jpg.fd4f49587a9cfa86cd95bda8baaf1e93.jpg

015.jpg.d22d81d0c3599e27d21f11789a1eb934.jpg

Now what to do with the two left over coaches, one thing I could do is make a third two car BRCW 104 unit (1 Hornby and 1 MTK) or is there something else?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gang

I was recently contacted by John (Rowanj) regarding converting a Hornby 110 into a 4 car class 104. That got me thinking about the two 110s I acquired off Vectis Auction, what shall I do with the? Plan A was to leave one as a 110 and make the other into another 3 car 104. Heljan will be making a better model than mine (or not) but not a four car unit. So what the hell, I will make another 4 car.

011.jpg.2a338f55b8c3b4ade7cb4122c58e6e38.jpg

First thing make a TBS by chopping off the brake from the DMBC and crafting on to a TS body. I have also installed the motor in the van as it is less noticeable in there.

The cabs on the two DMC need sorting

008.jpg.ebebed42f386ab303433f2a179dde292.jpg

009.jpg.b5951fd7fc3769fca2a8a05a07d9b9af.jpg

John used Silver Fox cabs, I did my normal bish bash bosh.

Next is to couple it to my other BRCW NER four car unit

010.jpg.33c3d0b11019fc416ffe21e157f8aae5.jpg

And enjoy watching it run, which I did for about 20 minutes. I also videoed it on my phone then remembered for some reason beyond my IT skills I can no longer upload to You Tube off me phone.

013.jpg.fd4f49587a9cfa86cd95bda8baaf1e93.jpg

015.jpg.d22d81d0c3599e27d21f11789a1eb934.jpg

Now what to do with the two left over coaches, one thing I could do is make a third two car BRCW 104 unit (1 Hornby and 1 MTK) or is there something else?

Hi Clive,

With a bit of cut and shut you could have built a Park Royal 103 I have some bits of BRCW body shell left if you need any extra pieces.

DSCF0595.JPG.efc5a6b8773ac7273fc77da8a8b3f622.JPG

DSCF0596.JPG.885a2d361ad1c96ca0ac9fe7d8b24037.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Most people run DMUs on their layouts as a prototypical excuse for a short train.  I cannot remember any other layout in almost 40 years of looking at model railway mags, that ran 8-car DMU rakes.  Perhaps Wibdenshaw?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

Most people run DMUs on their layouts as a prototypical excuse for a short train.  I cannot remember any other layout in almost 40 years of looking at model railway mags, that ran 8-car DMU rakes.  Perhaps Wibdenshaw?

Hi Northmoor,

I remember jam packed nine car sets of BRCW 104's made up from three, three car sets running between Manchester and Southport on Summer Saturday's and Bank Holidays back in the day.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1