Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

but any guesses as to what it is yet?

Hi Cheesy

No idea as yet, but I am going to ring Gareth at  Replica and tell him you are being nasty one of is lovely coaches. :telephone:

Three hundred and eight slash nine. Clueless where that came from.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

DSCF0977.JPG.08b3fcf9ee1991fb1787b2fa4367e51e.JPG

DSCF0978.JPG.b6c869be7b6b63e264dda368476eb74e.JPG

The next two will give it away

DSCF0979.JPG.a82d6802845524fd410b3524d521029e.JPG

DSCF0980.JPG.ee1e1a429864424abfb68a1cda46f23a.JPG

Cabs just placed in position for the photos.

You are a tease Cheesy,

One of them Gloucester single car units converted by the Scots into a parcels car. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It is going to be TDB975994 (ex-55014) as the railcar site has a photo of it in Leeds in 81 doing route learning. It fits into my area (yorkshire) and time frame (mid 70s to late 80s). And why not, not seen any others done. I could have converted a Lima bubble car, but wanted to show how the replica coaches, whilst having the wrong body profile, can make convincing high density DMUs.

Edited by cheesysmith
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I recently purchased some more battered Hornby shortie Gresley coaches. They are for a pair of gangwayed coaches, they need a lot of big windows which left me with loads of compartments, by adding the ones in my pile of Gresley bits I have bashed these together, they are on a borrowed chassis.

First up is a Composite Brake to diagram 118. Four were built, two were converted to push-pull driving trailers by the LNER, leaving only two in general service. I think they had the shortest brake end of any of the "standard" LNER 51ft non-gangway coaches.

004a.jpg.588cb4e86a8061b27a13ba781cee91c5.jpg

For the other end of this short train is a diagram 117 five compartment Brake Second, I didn't have enough brake van doors for a four or three compartment brake so i went for a five compartment version, only to find there were only two of this diagram. There were more but they didn't have duckets and were much earlier withdrawals.

001a.jpg.fdb4adbd080b1bb93fa9a72ac1b275ee.jpg

Lastly is the middle coach, I had enough compartment bits to make a all second, the most common design of non gangway coaches as diagrams 56 (9ft maximum width) and 57 (9ft 3ins width), while reading about them I came across the diagram 55, same length, same number of compartments but built as Second class in 1927 for the GER section. They had posher interiors like first class but not the leg room. In the 1930s they were down graded to third class when second class was abolished on the GER section. In the 1950s they were reclassified as second again, without the fancy interior. Ummm I thought I will have one of these, again there were only two.

006a.jpg.fcbd40422dc54ba87e4e594fc3e975a8.jpg

I have no idea if any of these six coaches ever ran in the same train as each other let alone 3 in the same train, but what will look like a typical ex LNER non-gangway  set of coaches will be a highly improbable train. :locomotive:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I suppose that is the answer I should expect from one of our children's educators. :good:

What is like being back at proper work again?  :scratchhead:

Never stopped, not that the media would acknowledge that. Unless you are trying to light a touch paper, in which case I am to tired to respond. Working two schools one on line and one in school has been exhausting for the last 2 1/2 months. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

Never stopped, not that the media would acknowledge that. Unless you are trying to light a touch paper, in which case I am to tired to respond. Working two schools one on line and one in school has been exhausting for the last 2 1/2 months. 

Hi Richard

No I was meaning is it better having all the little darlings in one place not all over the Dengie Hundred sat in their jim-jams.

It isn't funny how the public sector workers have continued to work during this pandemic, often having to take on extra responsibilities, how they have turned from heroes to zeros when it comes to thanking them with more than a clap.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Back to work. Pah. Some of us have worked through.

Hi Chessy

I understand most people have in some form or another. Being retired and living in a fairly isolated place not much has changed for me so I am really really lucky.

When the restrictions are no longer required there will be one hell of a mess to sort out. I don't think we can on this thread, so let us use this as a distraction from the real world and have fun with toy trains and music.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Back to work. Pah. Some of us have worked through.

Sat on my home PC remoted to work, currently doing another new software build, just waiting for it to finish compiling.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think you misunderstand, as working on the peasant chariots, we have to go into work to keep them running, and get exposed to the ignorant and selfish (don`t have to wear a mask, cause i is exempt/CBA/don`t like it etc). Although must be doing something right as the infection we have suffered have been low at work. I think most have picked up infection outside work, as they come in closer contact shopping at the local supermarket.

And we have gone from "key workers" to "as soon as the government subsidy ends there will be redundancy's" as the business is just not there yet. The advice from GOV has killed anything resembling public transport in this country, and how long before the numbers return? (and that includes trains as well).

And there is the fact my eldest daughter is 16 this year, but has lost out on most of her final year at school.

There are lots of questions out there that have not been answered, or no one knows the answers yet and we just have to wait and see. Never mind the bill for all the people staying at home that will take the next 30 years to pay off.

So, as you say, lets escape into our miniature world of choo choo`s, says me as i am typing whilst chopping a Lima 31 and putting Hornby mazac rot bit into it.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Peasant chariots? Take a butchers at these lovelies, there is even one on a bridge, Ford End Road bridge, at the south end of Bedford Midland Road station.

The 100 and 101 routes where the ones I use to catch to go to town.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Peasant chariots? Take a butchers at these lovelies, there is even one on a bridge, Ford End Road bridge, at the south end of Bedford Midland Road station.

Hi Clive

Peasant Chariot does seem a rather twee, almost political correct sort of a term for said contrivances. When living in Bury myself and friends used to go into town for Beer-Ex's to various quality pubs in some of the more salubrious environs of Salford, therefore the car was left at home and the said contrivances became known to us as Scum Shovels. A most appropriate term considering one of the best pubs was in Cheetham Hill and we had to dodge both the Ladies of the Night and the St Johns Ambulance drug support workers to get into the place.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive

Peasant Chariot does seem a rather twee, almost political correct sort of a term for said contrivances. When living in Bury myself and friends used to go into town for Beer-Ex's to various quality pubs in some of the more salubrious environs of Salford, therefore the car was left at home and the said contrivances became known to us as Scum Shovels. A most appropriate term considering one of the best pubs was in Cheetham Hill and we had to dodge both the Ladies of the Night and the St Johns Ambulance drug support workers to get into the place.

Gibbo.

Were you born in Bury or did you actually choose to live there?

Cheetham Hill, what a lovely area - I used to work with someone who had a home there (by choice) and a rather battered Datsun.  When I reminisced with him on FB once he blocked me, I don't think he wanted his new found richer southern friends to be aware of his modest background - I was a bit put out by that, you cannot escape your upbringing, nor should you hide it.  My first home had an outside loo and the bath in the kitchen, we were poor.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Were you born in Bury or did you actually choose to live there?

Cheetham Hill, what a lovely area - I used to work with someone who had a home there (by choice) and a rather battered Datsun.  When I reminisced with him on FB once he blocked me, I don't think he wanted his new found richer southern friends to be aware of his modest background - I was a bit put out by that, you cannot escape your upbringing, nor should you hide it.  My first home had an outside loo and the bath in the kitchen, we were poor.

Hell NO !!!

I only lived in Bury because I worked at Riley and Son's for twenty years, once I'd had enough of working there I left pretty sharpish.

The best pub was the Queens Arms, Redbank, they kept excellent real ale and a huge range of German and Belgian bottled beers.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2021 at 14:15, cheesysmith said:

Lets see if this link works

Three-car 308994 passing Stratford on its way to Ilford Depot on 30 August1988.

It is a picture of 308994 passing stratford as a 3 car unit. One coach is the standard BDTL, the other is DTLV

Thanks to M J Collins on flicker. Must admit, his photo gallery has a good selection of east Anglia photos.

Driven her, she could fly.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Most enjoyable.  Takes you back, endless strikes of one form or another. 3 day week, power cuts, dereliction, I could go on!!!!! Queue a certain Yorkshire Monty Python sketch!!!!!

At least the buses were much more interesting to look at back then.

Paul

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1