Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I get the 10,000th post on Clive's thread.  What do I win?

10,000 post and most are shear rubbish...keep it up everyone. :yahoo:

Here is a serious one I bought some points with the Heljan Bo-Bo to improve the working of the diesel yard.

674884009_dieselyardmod1.png.7d3960c11c7efd0e9b3ed997c058f800.png

As it is now.

2056320485_dieselyardmod2.png.5dfdd47f48cd2b22d923972899bd34a0.png

As it will be. Locos will no longer be trapped by locos refueling as they will be able to by pass the the fuel point.

More seriously I found some live Clio videos and was unsure which one you would like so here are two of them.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I get the 10,000th post on Clive's thread.

10,001st. The counter on the index page is the number of replies, so you need to add 1 for the total posts.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As it will be. Locos will no longer be trapped by locos refueling as they will be able to by pass the the fuel point.

An excellent design. Matches almost exactly the layout just outside a large unmentionable terminal station in west London created by an unmentionable region when it was converted from a steam to diesel servicing point.  (Opposite Royal Oak LT, and only  missing two sidings beside the tanker siding.)

Paul.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

An excellent design. Matches almost exactly the layout just outside a large unmentionable terminal station in west London created by an unmentionable region when it was converted from a steam to diesel servicing point.  (Opposite Royal Oak LT, and only  missing two sidings beside the tanker siding.)

Paul.

Hi Paul

Ranelagh Bridge can be mentioned as it isn't past Royal Oak Station where Bandit Country starts.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Sorry, going back to that picture, keep thinking about the beaver comments and th smiles on th boys faces. 

I know, I'm a perv

Hi Cheesysmut,

Lets see what you make of this bizarre carry on !!!

Хотя она в хорошей форме !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Cheesysmut,

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

If Mrs M was to see this she would say "You have too much spare time and should be doing something useful".

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Progress update on the revised diesel stabling point. Wood cut, sadly my drill battery needed charging so that put pay to any more work today.

I have a Standard Five with a BR 1 F tender, only used on the SR. So the other day when ordering some bits from Peters Spares I included a BR 1H tender body. I knew there were not many with this type of tender, some went to the LMR and some to the ScR. Tonight's research showed only two were ever allocated to the LMR, 73053 and 73054. I found a picture of 73054 and it had got itself painted green when based at Bath, and SR style green at that. Thankfully 73053 stayed on the LMR and ended its days at Patricroft and remained in black lined livery. Photos I have found of her show her on cross Pennine duties so I think my model of Red Knight will become 73053.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Cheesysmut,

Gibbo.

Gibbo,

Your not getting any better, are you!!!!!

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gibbo,

Your not getting any better, are you!!!!!

Paul

Hi Paul

In my defence I discovered the whispering Maria quite by chance while searching for a Russian language course, however there is always Mike Harding to sing us a song:

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

DSCF0999.JPG.589043eb4b87ec75a0ab33f4f9673c52.JPG

I wish to report that monster Mk1 lives again. Here is a picture of it spinning its wheels next to the start of monster Mk2, which I am going to see if I can make out of a replica commonwealth bogie.

Yours Dr frank-en-stein

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Progress update on the revised diesel stabling point. Wood cut, sadly my drill battery needed charging so that put pay to any more work today.

I have a Standard Five with a BR 1 F tender, only used on the SR. So the other day when ordering some bits from Peters Spares I included a BR 1H tender body. I knew there were not many with this type of tender, some went to the LMR and some to the ScR. Tonight's research showed only two were ever allocated to the LMR, 73053 and 73054. I found a picture of 73054 and it had got itself painted green when based at Bath, and SR style green at that. Thankfully 73053 stayed on the LMR and ended its days at Patricroft and remained in black lined livery. Photos I have found of her show her on cross Pennine duties so I think my model of Red Knight will become 73053.

Hi Clive,

If your Class V is a Bachmann one, and anything like the ones I have, the haulage abilities are quite rubbish. So if you're having a butchers inside it might be worth adding a bit of weight at the same time.

They are very pretty though, I think Bachmann excelled themselves with the BR Standards and all that fiddly pipework.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Clive,

If your Class V is a Bachmann one, and anything like the ones I have, the haulage abilities are quite rubbish. So if you're having a butchers inside it might be worth adding a bit of weight at the same time.

They are very pretty though, I think Bachmann excelled themselves with the BR Standards and all that fiddly pipework.

John.

Hi John

I have three Baccy Standard 5s, I find all of them quite capable with the loads they have to put up with on Sheff Ex, thankfully.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

just very very good

He Wants Me Back by Dance Hall Crashers that you put up a few days ago remains unsurpassed. I must have played the video at least a dozen times since then. Somewhat surprisingly the live performance is far more up tempo and energetic than the military medium pace of the studio version, but  two very talented singers, all the same. They remind me very slightly of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have done the wood work on the widening of the diesel yard. The cork is glued down, just waiting for the glue to dry then let the track laying commence.

Then I have the wiring to do and the mods to the control panel. Who's daft idea was it to try and replicate how a real diesel yard should work?

9 hours ago, jazzer said:

He Wants Me Back by Dance Hall Crashers that you put up a few days ago remains unsurpassed. I must have played the video at least a dozen times since then. Somewhat surprisingly the live performance is far more up tempo and energetic than the military medium pace of the studio version, but  two very talented singers, all the same. They remind me very slightly of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Hi Jazzer

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, the Dance Crashers, No Doubt and Rancid all have their routes in emulating the early stuff by the Specials, the Beat etc who in turn had been listening to Ska music. I remember seeing the Specials very early on in their career, at Bury St Edumds of all places about the time Gangsters was released. Excellent night.

Tonight we pop over to Finland for some Rock-a-billy

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have done the wood work on the widening of the diesel yard. The cork is glued down, just waiting for the glue to dry then let the track laying commence.

Then I have the wiring to do and the mods to the control panel. Who's daft idea was it to try and replicate how a real diesel yard should work?

Hi Jazzer

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, the Dance Crashers, No Doubt and Rancid all have their routes in emulating the early stuff by the Specials, the Beat etc who in turn had been listening to Ska music. I remember seeing the Specials very early on in their career, at Bury St Edumds of all places about the time Gangsters was released. Excellent night.

Tonight we pop over to Finland for some Rock-a-billy

Thanks for that background Clive . I would never have drawn that connection myself . I always tend to like roots music like jazz and blues including  bluebeat ska and reggae, that come originally from peoples feelings. Once people start to make money out of it and start writing to a formula it tends to lose something. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Track cut to size,fish plated etc. Holes for point motors cut out, I mount a Peco point motor directly under the point, saves trying to align it properly.

Now to figure out the wiring.

I have rearranged where the fuel tanks are going and I now have enough siding space for four big locos, plus another two being refueled and if need be two more isolated on both headshunts.

It is all Peter Kazmierczak's fault. Way back in the days when model magazines had articles worth reading Peter wrote a wonderful article about Ranelagh Bridge stabling point and Kings Cross passenger loco yard for Model Railway Constructor. I did have a go at building Ranelagh Bridge, but that was cancelled when we moved here. The bit regarding Kings Cross got me wanting to build my version of spotters heaven, well platform 10 was, again cancelled when I realised how old I was and how many more modelling years I had left. Now Sheff Ex has the its track plan based on the 1977 Kings Cross remodelling combined with a slightly simplified Ranelagh Bridge diesel yard. Plus if you look at the steam loco yard it is a much simplified version of Kings Cross Bottom Shed, locos reverse on to the ash pit, while on there they are coaled , they move a wee bit towards the turn table and are watered, then on to the turntable , whizzed around to face the other way and are then shunted on the sidings ready for their next train. Thank you Peter.

• Like 12