Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Which reminds me I am meant to be finishing off the Russian campaign on Sudden Strike 4 - have reached Berlin, about to storm the Reichstag

Little tip when storming the Reichstag, don't tell the occupants to surrender in German, try French. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Comrade Woody

Are you mocking the Red Army.......off to the gulag with you.

Very good but in a similar vein this tickled me today:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The reason I have don't it is the uncoupler would be where the lead car and second car on a DMU would end up standing, when it departs and the lead car is supposed to be the rear car, but has been uncoupled and is sitting still at the buffers....whoops.

Cut the tails off the intermediate couplers.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Proper operating - right out behind the signal before coming back in.  None of yer just clear of the points and hope!

Nice.

Paul.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Cut the tails off the intermediate couplers.

Downside is when you do want to separate - I have an aversion to the ‘Tri-ang twist’.  There is yet another MkIV variant - the thinner wire soldered to the metal handle which will get between the D bars and the hook, but you then need to get it back out with the coupling separated and dragging on the wire.

May I suggest a couple of operating fixes (should you get fed up with uncouplers MkIV.

1. DMUs always power car leading into Sheffield Ex: pushes out and doesn’t lead to loss of coaches.  But restricts the formations.

2. The solution I adopted on an earlier version of Heath Town: different stopping positions for LH and DMU.  Easiest if the LH is further out:  stop, loco on top releases coupling, depart as required.  Needs the DMU coupling to have the hooks engaged properly to stop lifting on the way out.  Alternatively, have DMU stop point further out so never get the coupler over the ramp.  Both depend on the platform not being inch tight’ for the longest formations.

Paul.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Clive,

That is the worst music video you have ever posted, it is the most un-melodious chorus of wonky doorbells I've ever heard !!!

The minimalist 1960's style railway recreation video is reasonably avant garde though. Top marks for the artistic director for that particular element.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 29/03/2021 at 09:48, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

Thank you for your contribution.

I must remind myself of the rules. Rule five comes into play here, :music:

5, You must accept that others have their own taste in music but will never be as good as your own.:dancing:

While thinking of the rules the "Rules Committee" has been in discussion regarding Cheesy's clean workbench. Are clean and tidy work benches allowed as we have heard form Gibbo regarding the lack of Mojo since he tidied his up. Therefore are clean workbenches allowed will be put out for consultation before it is decided they are not.

After much debate and a week of "Where is that 'king tool/bit gone to now" tidy workbenches are allowed. They will not be mandatory neither will a big pile of mess. So the conclusion is there will be no rules about tidy or untidy workbenches.

For those how find themselves in a state of shock following tidying their workbenches, like poor Gibbo, then can I suggest you visit this YouTube channel to rediscover why we make things.  https://www.youtube.com/c/SamsTrains/videos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Proper operating - right out behind the signal before coming back in.  None of yer just clear of the points and hope!

Nice.

Paul.

Hi Paul 

Thank you. As Andi Dell (Dagworth) use to keep reminding us on his layout "drive by the signals". Andi being an ex driver that was very important and something that I took in to consideration when designing Sheff Ex. How can the signalman commutate to the driver, in the sixties only a few shunters in big yards had radios. It could be said "..yer just clear of the points and hope!" could be done under hand signals, fine inside the depot area but not on a busy station like Sheff Ex. 

When I revamp the signals, I have the bits, there will be a (non operating) theatre type route indicator above the shunt signals so the drivers know which platform, or sidings they are being sent. 

If you can be bothered to go back and look at the track plan neither loco yard can be accessed straight off the incoming mainlines another feature I thought would be important. Locos can depart from the loco yards on to the out going mainlines to reach the big shed for major attention. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone who put forward ideas for uncoupling locos and not DMUs so I don't have to take five steps from the control panel to the end of the station. For the moment I will suffer the exercise. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It could be said "..yer just clear of the points and hope!" could be done under hand signals, fine inside the depot area but not on a busy station like Sheff Ex. 

Couldn't be done anyway, the points would all be locked up by the track circuiting etc. until the loco was beyond the peg.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

11 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

That is the worst music video you have ever posted, it is the most un-melodious chorus of wonky doorbells I've ever heard !!!

The minimalist 1960's style railway recreation video is reasonably avant garde though. Top marks for the artistic director for that particular element.

Gibbo.

Hi Clive,

Let us hope that the following is the antidote to the above:

Interestingly cymatics is the study of physical pattern due to the effects of resonant frequencies at certain pitches by way of the formation standing waves. Possibly why the diminished fifth was banned. 

Gibbo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

You are doing it again, making me think.

It hurts.

Hi Clive,

All I can say is there must have been quite some resonant frequency buzzing through your bonce to get your hair to sand up as it did in your avatar:

1. What were you thinking at the time ?
  2. Did it hurt while you were thinking it ?
  3. Was it the music that caused it ?

This may soothe your troubled synapses:

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

All I can say is there must have been quite some resonant frequency buzzing through your bonce to get your hair to sand up as it did in your avatar:

1. What were you thinking at the time ?
  2. Did it hurt while you were thinking it ?
  3. Was it the music that caused it ?

This may soothe your troubled synapses:

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

1. What were you thinking at the time ?  Cor this will be fun.
  2. Did it hurt while you were thinking it ? Fun never hurts....OK it might you but I am not that kinky.
  3. Was it the music that caused it ? Sorta yeah.

Wattie, like me was a punk in the army...it don't work.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

1. What were you thinking at the time ?  Cor this will be fun.
  2. Did it hurt while you were thinking it ? Fun never hurts....OK it might you but I am not that kinky.
  3. Was it the music that caused it ? Sorta yeah.

Wattie, like me was a punk in the army...it don't work.

Hi Clive,

The above may well be the very reason JS Bach wore a wig !

Gibbo.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 31A said:

Couldn't be done anyway, the points would all be locked up by the track circuiting etc. until the loco was beyond the peg.

Not necessarily!  Depends on the track circuit limits, sectional release route locking (if provided) or the back locking on the signal reading out.  Getting deep into technical stuff here, probably about 5 years into my career before I understood it properly.  Probably best left in peace.

Main thing is: Clive’s done good!
Paul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2021 at 21:12, 31A said:

On 06/04/2021 at 09:42, 5BarVT said:

Not necessarily!  Depends on the track circuit limits, sectional release route locking (if provided) or the back locking on the signal reading out.  Getting deep into technical stuff here, probably about 5 years into my career before I understood it properly.  Probably best left in peace.

Main thing is: Clive’s done good!
Paul.

Hi Paul and Steve

I did think the track circuits might have a play in things, but I ain't that clever to understand what would be involved. With both of you being ex railwaymen I am sure you know a lot more than me. All I done was think how I had seen loco moves at big terminal stations and copied that.

I know the Westinghouse K (electro-machanical locking) and L (electric locking)  leverframes you set the route before the signal could be cleared therefore it makes sense that any loco reversing on to the loco yards would have to go past the shunt signal before it can reverse. Again to use Paul's phrase "..yer just clear of the points and hope!" might not be something the signalman could perform.

Whoops posted it without Alicia singing to you,

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5