Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Clive, I sometimes always get lost in the twists and turns of your posts. However, here's something of railway content....

Currently I'm reading "BR Railway Centres - Leeds Central" [Xpress Publishing, 2008] . It gives full details of workings at the station in winter 1957 - a mix of steam expresses and DMUs. Might be worth looking at to give you ideas about both passenger and parcel workings at a Yorkshire city terminus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clive, how about a mixed session on the layout? DMUs on certain services, loco hauled on others, and a odd kettle on (for example) a service from a different region, which would have to be sent back asap? And just to make things more interesting, a failed DMU being loco hauled.

The idea came from the photo of a 8f in tinsley yard, that was sent back where it came asap as there as no servicing for steam.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ditto in diesel times for Bandit country locos arriving in Birmingham. (Paddington run excepted as they were regular diagrams.)

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

The idea came from the photo of a 8f in tinsley yard, that was sent back where it came asap as there as no servicing for steam.

1 hour ago, great central said:

Similar happened in Nottingham, black 5 if memory serves arrived from the north, probably via Sheffield.

Sent back light engine in double quick time.

It was so notable that it made a few column inches in the local paper at the time.

Although ostensibly closed, Canklow and Colwick still had servicing facilities, so maybe it was an easy answer to get rapidly rid?

Mike.

33 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Although ostensibly closed, Canklow and Colwick still had servicing facilities, so maybe it was an easy answer to get rapidly rid?

Mike.

Possibly crew didn't sign the road to Colwick, also as it had been dieselised by then, no coal or water facilities, or at best unknown?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I like the Tiny Desk concerts, this is one of my favorites,

I found Tiny Desk from my YouTube feed when it presented of all people Taylor Swift, totally outside my normal viewing but I decided to watch as it was acoustic.

If you take her music back to how she writes it, one instrument she sounds really good.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Clive, I sometimes always get lost in the twists and turns of your posts. However, here's something of railway content....

Currently I'm reading "BR Railway Centres - Leeds Central" [Xpress Publishing, 2008] . It gives full details of workings at the station in winter 1957 - a mix of steam expresses and DMUs. Might be worth looking at to give you ideas about both passenger and parcel workings at a Yorkshire city terminus.

Hi Peter

When the libraries are in full swing I will see if I can borrow it on the interloan system. For my own reasons I will not buy any of his books.

A few years ago I had a few runnings with Mr Xpress books. He use to make out he was one of six ex-railwaymen who all lived in the same place in North Wales and used the same computer. There were two notable clashes, one he said he saw certain classes of loco on the Midland main line from a location in Bedford, me being Bedford born and breed questioned how he could see them as he would be over looking the wrong line. That didn't go down well. Another being he said he was born after the war but tells tales of working with steam in its heyday (the 1950s?) , so I asked him what part of the armed forces did he do his national service if he had been old enough to have worked at all the steam sheds he said he had. He all of a sudden became to young to do national service, it was one the other six who had posted their experiences.

From talking to ex railwaymen and a couple of publishers who he had worked for, it seems he has a wonderful ability to remember events which others have told him and then repeat them in the first person.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I understand where you're coming from Clive. It's still an interesting read though, as it gives some idea of how a smallish (and Leeds Central was quite a small station for the size of the city/train services provided) was operated. Leeds Central was something of a dump though, which I think added to its charm. Everything today is cold, stark concrete.

And now something musical. I've only just realised that the Boomtown Rats song "I don't like Mondays", isn't about that at all... It's only taken me 42 years to understand what its really about. And that was by watching "The West Wing".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Peter

When the libraries are in full swing I will see if I can borrow it on the interloan system. For my own reasons I will not buy any of his books.

A few years ago I had a few runnings with Mr Xpress books. He use to make out he was one of six ex-railwaymen who all lived in the same place in North Wales and used the same computer. There were two notable clashes, one he said he saw certain classes of loco on the Midland main line from a location in Bedford, me being Bedford born and breed questioned how he could see them as he would be over looking the wrong line. That didn't go down well. Another being he said he was born after the war but tells tales of working with steam in its heyday (the 1950s?) , so I asked him what part of the armed forces did he do his national service if he had been old enough to have worked at all the steam sheds he said he had. He all of a sudden became to young to do national service, it was one the other six who had posted their experiences.

From talking to ex railwaymen and a couple of publishers who he had worked for, it seems he has a wonderful ability to remember events which others have told him and then repeat them in the first person.

Clive, I have the book, and will bring it with me when we meet up shortly. Keep it as long as you like. It is quite useful, though iffy in parts, as are others by the same publishers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I understand where you're coming from Clive. It's still an interesting read though, as it gives some idea of how a smallish (and Leeds Central was quite a small station for the size of the city/train services provided) was operated. Leeds Central was something of a dump though, which I think added to its charm. Everything today is cold, stark concrete.

And now something musical. I've only just realised that the Boomtown Rats song "I don't like Mondays", isn't about that at all... It's only taken me 42 years to understand what its really about. And that was by watching "The West Wing".

Hi Peter

A very sad song really. It is about when 16 year old Brenda Ann Spencer went on a shooting spree at a school because she didn't like Monday's and it livened up the day. The mindless of the shooting by a young woman has stuck in my head for years.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, great northern said:

Clive, I have the book, and will bring it with me when we meet up shortly. Keep it as long as you like. It is quite useful, though iffy in parts, as are others by the same publishers.

Thanks G.

7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Peter

A very sad song really. It is about when 16 year old Brenda Ann Spencer went on a shooting spree at a school because she didn't like Monday's and it livened up the day. The mindless of the shooting by a young woman has stuck in my head for years.

And a reminder that America has had a bad relationship with guns for a very long time and still cannot find a route out of it.

Megan Thee Stallion NPR - the language and content is ripe, but that girl can rap and smile in equal amounts.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Peter

Agreed, but still a very good song though.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

According to Mrs W I have the hots for Ms Swift, she's not Rihanna but if I was given a pass I wouldn't say no

Well, as the saying goes, I wouldn't jump over her to get  to you.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

According to Mrs W I have the hots for Ms Swift, she's not Rihanna but if I was given a pass I wouldn't say no

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, as the saying goes, I wouldn't jump over her to get  to you.

42 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There aren't many better ways to a heart attack!

Mike.

This applies to all three of you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 5

Question, having just remotored a lima 31 with Hornby mazac victim bits, how many is enough peds? I know they were the standard ER type2, and when the rats went for razor blades, they became the standard BR type2, but I just counted how many chassis I have converted, and bits for more, and it cam out at 14.

Then again, counting lima and Heljan version, I have more duffs.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Question, having just remotored a lima 31 with Hornby mazac victim bits, how many is enough peds? I know they were the standard ER type2, and when the rats went for razor blades, they became the standard BR type2, but I just counted how many chassis I have converted, and bits for more, and it cam out at 14.

Then again, counting lima and Heljan version, I have more duffs.

I think my collection of Hornby & Lima 37 bodies (some have chassis, most don't) which I acquired in job lots for detailing and repainting practice, totals 15.  Unfortunately I seem to have been trained at the same "Getting Around to Repainting School" that Clive attended.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1