Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Question, having just remotored a lima 31 with Hornby mazac victim bits, how many is enough peds? I know they were the standard ER type2, and when the rats went for razor blades, they became the standard BR type2, but I just counted how many chassis I have converted, and bits for more, and it cam out at 14.

Then again, counting lima and Heljan version, I have more duffs.

Talking of 31s, I was rather surprised to see this in the sidings at Great Yarmouth today.

There's also a mixture of mk3 Caledonian sleepers and MK2 day coaches along with an odd ex Virgin mk3 buffet car.

IMG_20210414_141839822.jpg.f31434c6f2b7227e7ef73c2600622518.jpg

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I do have a weak point if I see a cheap Lima duff or per, especially if I also see a cheap mazac victim to remote them with.

Might even see about getting my Triang Heljan hybrid tractor out and finish it off. With the improved Bachmann version, and now the accurascale version coming out, there didn't seem much point continuing with it.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, great central said:

Talking of 31s, I was rather surprised to see this in the sidings at Great Yarmouth today.

There's also a mixture of mk3 Caledonian sleepers and MK2 day coaches along with an odd ex Virgin mk3 buffet car.

IMG_20210414_141839822.jpg.f31434c6f2b7227e7ef73c2600622518.jpg

Incognito Royal train perhaps, awaiting the international arrival of a certain ostracised minor grandson?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

A question for the fellow fans of the humble bog cart.

I have figured out that the Swindon designed units all used the same window size, slightly smaller than the normal MK1. What about the 119? It was basically the 120 design built by outside contractor with the Derby can on. Did it use the smaller Swindon windows?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

I have figured out that the Swindon designed units all used the same window size, slightly smaller than the normal MK1. What about the 119? It was basically the 120 design built by outside contractor with the Derby can on. Did it use the smaller Swindon windows?

I think it did the Worsley etch is slightly too deep.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Hi Cheesy

Yes they are the same size. I have just checked by resizing a couple of photos where I got the top and bottom of the side the same size, and the windows matched.

Photos used from the Railcar Association.

class 119 https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Frailcar.co.uk%2Fimages%2F119%2Ftitle-new.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Frailcar.co.uk%2Ftype%2Fclass-119%2F&tbnid=hnmnbvpgViCMVM&vet=12ahUKEwil9N-cwYfwAhUCeRoKHdAhBWgQMygBegUIARC7AQ..i&docid=q4p3Qi3qdX2FXM&w=800&h=340&q=class 119 dmu&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwil9N-cwYfwAhUCeRoKHdAhBWgQMygBegUIARC7AQ

Class 120 https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.railcar.co.uk%2Fimages%2F120%2Ftitle-new.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.railcar.co.uk%2Ftype%2Fclass-120%2F&tbnid=yIm5q7hmk1VbEM&vet=12ahUKEwjorsWUwYfwAhUJYRoKHWaYAaIQMygAegUIARC3AQ..i&docid=N9-hyPbGyyyq_M&w=696&h=385&q=class 120 dmu&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwjorsWUwYfwAhUJYRoKHWaYAaIQMygAegUIARC3AQ

1090209695_Ccwinders.png.8777417d583efbdaed6078a9aa16b624.png

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks, that means using trix sides I can make 119, 120, 123, 124, 126, 79xxxIC units, and 303 & 311.

Using the DC kits 108 bodies, I can make 107, 108 and 114.

Using replica suburban I can make 115, 116, 117, 118, 125, 127, plus 302 to 308 (except 303 and 306).

Mk1 coaches cut and shut can give 105 and 113, plus 309.

Just need to figure out easiest way to make the 100, 103 and 109, that would be everything then IIRC.

No point with 101, plenty of Lima about, same with 104 and 110.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The 119 and 120 underframes are totally different.

119 uses more or less Derby standard, so Lima floors.

120 uses a lot more Swindon, but different to any other Swindon designs.

Not sure on body profile though.

Bogies totally different.

An easily available roof is ideal for both 119 and 120 (and my WR IC set) I will let you know when I have enough, same manufactureres chassis is also suitable

• Informative/Useful 3

Because the weather is nice, have been out with the spray cans before work. Have now got a outbreak of yellow ends on my bog carts. If this weather holds, might have some pictures to show later this week.

PS-This post is not intended to point out the lack of such paint on clives models lol.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Still no action on the toy train front, lots of finking but that is all.

This sums up this week. 11 top European football clubs and Tottenham Hotspurs want to form a super league all hell brakes lose. Yet people fixing fings for their mates isn't so news worthy.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Still no action on the toy train front, lots of finking but that is all.

This sums up this week. 11 top European football clubs and Tottenham Hotspurs want to form a super league all hell brakes lose. Yet people fixing fings for their mates isn't so news worthy.

The best quote I read about the Super League Clive, was Nottingham Forest pointing out that they weren't invited to join, despite them having won more European Cups than Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham combined.

The Manics were one of my wife's favourite bands.  Very well-read bunch of lads, their lyrics were often profound almost to the point of being pretentious, but they encouraged their fans to think more than most bands.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

The best quote I read about the Super League Clive, was Nottingham Forest pointing out that they weren't invited to join, despite them having won more European Cups than Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham combined.

The Manics were one of my wife's favourite bands.  Very well-read bunch of lads, their lyrics were often profound almost to the point of being pretentious, but they encouraged their fans to think more than most bands.

Can't think of anyone who was in favour of the Super League, other than the grotesquely wealthy trash that now own/ control the relevant clubs. It seemed to unite everyone else in disgust!

Not so much of the past tense for the Manics please. I don't know much about music, but I have been taken by my wife to a number of their gigs, and I do like their stuff. She and her friend have travelled all around the country to see them, and I think to Germany also - maybe that was for the Pet Shop Boys. Profound as you say, IIRC this is really about the creeping onset of fascism if folk fail to stay alert to the dangers. I understand they are still doing stuff, gigs when possible in future and a new album on the way.

John.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Can't think of anyone who was in favour of the Super League, other than the grotesquely wealthy trash that now own/ control the relevant clubs. It seemed to unite everyone else in disgust!

Not so much of the past tense for the Manics please. I don't know much about music, but I have been taken by my wife to a number of their gigs, and I do like their stuff. She and her friend have travelled all around the country to see them, and I think to Germany also - maybe that was for the Pet Shop Boys. Profound as you say, IIRC this is really about the creeping onset of fascism if folk fail to stay alert to the dangers. I understand they are still doing stuff, gigs when possible in future and a new album on the way.

John.

The idea of an international pan-border super league has merits, think Welsh clubs in the Uk playing in the English league and Berwick Rangers in the Scottish as an example. What was wrong with this proposal was/is in the detail, a closed shop for greed, taking the worst aspect of the English PL’s £ grab principle adding in the worst of the US Grid iron franchises and expecting fans to like it. They didn’t learn from Kerry Packer’s cricket experiment.

A personal view is it will happen one day, hopefully sensibly run by UEFA, but only when someone buys out the nationalistic Blazer types. Unfortunately money talks, so the closed shop idea will keep getting revived. Even in the UK blazers, cash worries and jingoism prevails, it is why the Scottish league is not integrated into a UK wide soccer pyramid despite at times Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen having teams good enough to have been successful in it.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, john new said:

The idea of an international pan-border super league has merits, think Welsh clubs in the Uk playing in the English league and Berwick Rangers in the Scottish as an example. What was wrong with this proposal was/is in the detail, a closed shop for greed, taking the worst aspect of the English PL’s £ grab principle adding in the worst of the US Grid iron franchises and expecting fans to like it. They didn’t learn from Kerry Packer’s cricket experiment.

A personal view is it will happen one day, hopefully sensibly run by UEFA, but only when someone buys out the nationalistic Blazer types. Unfortunately money talks, so the closed shop idea will keep getting revived. Even in the UK blazers, cash worries and jingoism prevails, it is why the Scottish league is not integrated into a UK wide soccer pyramid despite at times Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen having teams good enough to have been successful in it.

Hi Folks,

One must be aware that upon occasion sports such as football descend into the realms of religion for the thick.

The skill of the players is paramount along with the honour to be had in accepting defeat at the behest of a team which played better on the day are what really matters.

Monied television rights, shiny trophies, and overpaid salaries are nothing but Fools Gold:

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Couldn't agree more with Gibbo.

You've hit the nail on the head I fear. Professional football is not now a sport at all, it is a business. Marketing rights, product endorsement, TV rights, brand licencing - it's almost as if the ball being kicked about is an afterthought!

Who was prepared to put £6bn. behind the superleague project? Answer, what I think is the world's second largest investment bank, J.P. Morgan (after Goldmanns). These guys have more economic clout than many small countries, and do we really think they're passionate about the beautiful game? I'm sure they'll nobble the prime "boxes" at the grounds for entertaining clients, but the match will be almost a sideshow, just another opportunity to scratch backs and try to make some money.

Do I think this will change anytime soon? Probably not, however one of the reasons a number of the clubs backed the project was their appalling debt levels. I think this is mainly the continentals not our lot, in turn due to gross mismanagement and an inability to control costs  - mainly of the playing staff. How great it would be if some of these clubs actually went bankrupt.

Our best hope appears to be adoption of the "German " model, which I understand to involve the fans controlling 51% of the clubs, and this seems to prevent the excesses and greed we're witnessing elsewhere. Diffficult you may say for the fans to buy a 51% stake of clubs valued at hundreds of millions. One way around this might be to separate out the concept of voting control from financial ownership, done by an Act of Parliament. So for example the Glazers at Man U. would still own all the club, but the decisions would require the approval of the 51% voting majority on the Board, being the fans. I've no idea if this could be made to work, and I'd sooner make model trains than revisit the Companies Acts to investigate. However it might.

Apologies to Clive for hijacking his thread on this silly subject. Thankfully, to take up his original point, we're now seeing the spotlight shining ever brighter on sleaze in high places, quite right too!

John.