Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, richard i said:

B1 into a b3 Thompson convert. There was only one.

richard 

Hi Richard

Warm but not very hot.

I forgot to include a song. Beth is a singing teacher not a performing singer, she is quite critical of her own singing. 

plus she is a redhead, with blue eyes, freckles (not they show in this video) and a soft Scottish accent, so any singing mistakes can be forgiven.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/05/2021 at 05:47, cheesysmith said:

I have the belief that unless you model deep into stabiliser rail territory (where they need 3 rails or they fall over), any layout set in BR between the end of the 60s to mid 80s need examples of 08, Sulzer engined rat (even if just the Mcrat version), 31, 37 and 47. That plus the humble bog cart were everywhere. Even the peds invaded choc & cream land when the overgrown small sprinters were converted to razor blades. 

As for having one more than needed, you can always use it as a change over for a existing one on the roster so having a different version show up on the same diagram. Or as one pinched by control from somewhere to replace a failure along the line.

Even the WR had duffs allocated there from new. Areas that never had duffs allocated would have had them visit on through trains. As long as the crew knew the traction, area control were not above borrowing visiting engines if needed. And strange traction not known to the local crew or troublesome locos would be sent home ASAP.

I was always under the impression that sulzer engined rats were an uncommon sight in darkest Norfolk and east Anglia in general. I follow a few photo groups on Facebook and can't recall ever seeing pics of them on the GEML.

(Cue photo proving me wrong)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I was always under the impression that sulzer engined rats were an uncommon sight in darkest Norfolk and east Anglia in general. I follow a few photo groups on Facebook and can't recall ever seeing pics of them on the GEML.

(Cue photo proving me wrong)

Startford, Ipswich and March all had an allocation of class 24s in the early sixties.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In answer to your questions;

4th pic. Class 08.

6th pic. Worsborough banker U1 Garratt.

Mike.

Thank you Mike

Very close with the 4th photo, its is Class (something). So half right. :imsohappy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/05/2021 at 05:47, cheesysmith said:

I have the belief that unless you model deep into stabiliser rail territory (where they need 3 rails or they fall over), any layout set in BR between the end of the 60s to mid 80s need examples of 08, Sulzer engined rat (even if just the Mcrat version), 31, 37 and 47. That plus the humble bog cart were everywhere. Even the peds invaded choc & cream land when the overgrown small sprinters were converted to razor blades. 

As for having one more than needed, you can always use it as a change over for a existing one on the roster so having a different version show up on the same diagram. Or as one pinched by control from somewhere to replace a failure along the line.

Even the WR had duffs allocated there from new. Areas that never had duffs allocated would have had them visit on through trains. As long as the crew knew the traction, area control were not above borrowing visiting engines if needed. And strange traction not known to the local crew or troublesome locos would be sent home ASAP.

To be honest much of South Wales - at least West of Cardiff - didn't see 31s except on occasional visits and apart from the Crewe-Cardiff service, 25s weren't seen either.

2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

To be honest much of South Wales - at least West of Cardiff - didn't see 31s except on occasional visits and apart from the Crewe-Cardiff service, 25s weren't seen either.

I'd have thought post Hydraulics South Wales would be a few 47s, some 08s and a veritable feast of dirty centre headcode class 37s.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Scrapman said:

Clive,

Are you building a Thompson B2 from the B1 using a Great Central tender?

Ray

Hi Ray

I am planning on building a B2, despite Gilbert saying I shouldn't have one, but not a GCR tender. It will be one of the few that ran with a LNER group standard tender, but not Royal Sovereign. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ray

I am planning on building a B2, despite Gilbert saying I shouldn't have one, but not a GCR tender. It will be one of the few that ran with a LNER group standard tender, but not Royal Sovereign. 

I didn't say you shouldn't have one, just not the one I want.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, great northern said:

I didn't say you shouldn't have one, just not the one I want.

Hi Gilbert

It is just coincidental we both would like the same locomotive. 

Thankfully I do not want the "Footballer" you have. Well who would want a loco named after the team that plays at a ground named after the next station from Bruce Grove.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2021 at 18:46, cheesysmith said:

I was up in the loft looking for something, when I came across this. I had to share it to all the fellow cut`n`shut fetishes on here lol.

DSCF0129.JPG.fbdc7f007ee859758282b9417952e8a1.JPG

Talk about blast from the past.

Hi Cheesy

I have not used the A1 models conversion kit but I have made a few longer.

One done

100_5031a.jpg.9d5e55ee1697cc37bfc07e839d7bbfbf.jpg

Two being done.

I cut the body in 6 places where there is no grills etc.

007.JPG.b3adb023db5649b22ba2315ef0763fea.JPG

I used 10 thou plastic card  in a U shape I reassembled leaving about a two mm gap.

009.JPG.24fdb6a9802820596cadde259601e14f.JPG

The underside.

010.JPG.e39df13059110379313e9e04dc79482c.JPG

The gaps were then filled with filler.

The done one has modified Hornby class 47 bogies. The two (three actually) other have Lima class 37 bogies. I added the class 37 frames holding the bogies on to the Lima Deltic tanks

004a.jpg.d4cb78da661415560a1a8a09e0cfbf84.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

A B2 perchance?

Edit: *sorry, about a page late to the party. I'll fetch my coat.....*

Hi Martyn

Not that pile of stuff but the green B1 with the bigger wheels in front of it will be.

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was going to do some running tonight. I did some modelling and glued up the sides of a Gresley Buffet.

Recently I haven't been doing much modelling but here are the parts for some projects that I will be undertaking and a couple of new locos.

003a.jpg.4d087edf069ce2eb1d0df5516bf4a627.jpg

45515, "Caernarvon" It will keep this identity. It was a holiday to Caernarvon in 1966 where the journey there and back was exciting, DMUs EMUs, diesel, steam and electric locos. It was that holiday that really got me going on a lifetimes journey of loving railways.

005a.jpg.da6606c52274ea16c232ef9b2eaf7865.jpg

An Ivatt "Drag and Shove" fitted loco to go with my push-me pull-you set of coaches.

007a.jpg.0ef0438a03b4842ccb73386f6f60efe8.jpg

I was going to convert this loco to a Push Pull version, anyone got any idea what I will be doing to it?

011a.jpg.9bc96b3649f61a4dcfb48bbb789a8d0e.jpg

Another planned conversion, to what? Extra points if you can guess which one?

009a.jpg.eab9da271a025b90227e919058c2fcf3.jpg

OK it is going to be a Shire class D49/1 but which one. The tender needs motorising as the loco is an old shove along one.

010a.jpg.ed1e8ef9cf9c5d356948efcd58b340e0.jpg

What will this lot morph into?

84xxx

B2

D49/1 Lincolnshire 

B16/3

Paul

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

84xxx

B2

D49/1 Lincolnshire 

B16/3

Paul

Well done Paul.

The BR 2MT tank will be one the SR ones that were transferred to the LMR and had their push-pull gear removed.

Yes a B2, both Gilbert and I want Beavor Castle. As we are very unlikely to run stock on each other's layouts, Gilbert having the extra "C", it isn't a problem . Plus Tim will make a good job of it for Gilbert.

The D49/1 will be Bedfordshire, were I was dragged up. I have a D49/2 which will be called The Puckeridge, I had a deep discussion one day with the wife of the hound master of this hunt, we were not expressing the same views. It was a friendly discussion not even an argument. She did invite me to come and meet the hounds, an offer I sadly never had the time to take up.

Yes the pile of bits are destined to become a B16/3. I was going to scratch build the tender as I couldn't source one. Last night Steve (31A)  asked if I was going to use a Q6 tender. To prove my point that they never appear I would do a goggle search, bu88er me there was one and it was "buy it now". Credit card jumped out of my wallet so fast, I have already had an e-mail saying it is on its way. :yahoo:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ray

Which one, then??

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, 31A said:

Which one, then??

Hi Steve

Beavor Castle, well that is how it pronounced. Belvoir Castle is how it is wrote.

So I can have the common one and Gilbert the posh one. :sungum:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

Beavor Castle, well that is how it pronounced. Belvoir Castle is how it is wrote.

So I can have the common one and Gilbert the posh one. :sungum:

You may already know this Clive , but Belvoir Castle towed an ex P.1 tender which had a number of differences from the group standard tender ( different wheelbase , shape of tank etc.) DMR made an excellent kit of this & Mike Russell may still be able to supply the tender kit .

The other P.1 tender went behind Culford Hall & here's my DMR kit of this loco .

If you already know this please ignore the above .

Ray . 

P1010537a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

You may already know this Clive , but Belvoir Castle towed an ex P.1 tender which had a number of differences from the group standard tender ( different wheelbase , shape of tank etc.) DMR made an excellent kit of this & Mike Russell may still be able to supply the tender kit .

The other P.1 tender went behind Culford Hall & here's my DMR kit of this loco .

If you already know this please ignore the above .

Ray . 

P1010537a.jpg

Hi Ray

Cor that is a nice model.

Steve (31A) has sent me a drawing of the P1 tender. Now do I go about hacking the Hornby groups standard tender, and ignore/modify the chassis. Or take the tender off of this beastie and modify it to one dragged by one of another 7 B2s?  I am not taking the easy route of doing Royal Sovereign. 

001a.jpg.169537fa73a5b229a89ea38eab8e84a1.jpg

A class of 10 locos with 6 different designs/styles of tender (2 LNER and 4 NER). 2 also carry Westinghouse air brake pumps, and have different types of tender to each other. LNER standardisation at its best. :locomotive:

• Like 4