Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
On 07/06/2021 at 03:14, cheesysmith said:

What to do with the new tank engine? 

Make sure it is on the rails? Looks like a earth fault there.

This is what the first set of photos showed.

001a.jpg.fef67228eb718cb85a07340b6ea5bb66.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have just run out of the blue paint, so waiting pay day next week before resuming.

Just post this here as a quick snap of how far i have got with the cut`n`shuts and kit builds. No RTR in this photo.

DSCF0133.JPG.9925a71bdec3c135cd6c08f1b5f56088.JPG

And there is a few missing (the 115 trailers and the 116 3 car set).

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

If only because it was being played upon the wireless set in JT Atkinsons in Appleby just this afternoon :

Gibbo.

Never knew they were American; always thought they were "Europop".  I can remember listening to this on my (cheap knockoff) Walkman at school.

• Like 1

https://flic.kr/y/3zCcF4M

I have done my small yellow end with a yellow panel inside of the marker lights. But th photos I've seen show it as being bigger and extending to outside the lights on th early blue repaints. Easily fixed with a quick spray, but we're there any craven DMU with a smaller yellow end? Asking because I think it looks better with a smaller yellow end.

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2021 at 17:55, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

If only because it was being played upon the wireless set in JT Atkinsons in Appleby just this afternoon :

Gibbo.

Not a shop a frequent, thankfully. :derisive:

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

https://flic.kr/y/3zCcF4M

I have done my small yellow end with a yellow panel inside of the marker lights. But th photos I've seen show it as being bigger and extending to outside the lights on th early blue repaints. Easily fixed with a quick spray, but we're there any craven DMU with a smaller yellow end? Asking because I think it looks better with a smaller yellow end.

I've seen pictures of some but can't give you a specific reference.

I think for example that some of the three cars on the GC in its last days south of Nottingham had small panels.

John.

On 10/06/2021 at 17:55, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Gibbo.

Which reminds me of this little ditty that it spawned and was my sound of 1986

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Are we having an 80s session?

Of course the big question is it a 116 or 119 towards the end of the video?

It's certainly a 119 on the back of that rake, you can glimpse the low-density bodyside.  Never mind that though, I wondered what power-doored unit Jimmy was into and at 4:49, they are seen getting off one of the Class 210 units (you can see the bodyside vents for the engine compartment)!

As a song and video, Smalltown Boy is quite brilliant and very reflective of attitudes of the time, but the "villains on motorbikes" stereotype was starting to wear thin even then.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

It's certainly a 119 on the back of that rake, you can glimpse the low-density bodyside.  Never mind that though, I wondered what power-doored unit Jimmy was into and at 4:49, they are seen getting off one of the Class 210 units (you can see the bodyside vents for the engine compartment)!

As a song and video, Smalltown Boy is quite brilliant and very reflective of attitudes of the time, but the "villains on motorbikes" stereotype was starting to wear thin even then.

Everyone knows that is one of the best 210 videos, it was the end car of the train towards the end, I could make out the fourth and fifth coaches were high density and the sixth was possibly low density so was it a 117 set with a 119 DMBS  in place of its own DMBS?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Are we having an 80s session?

Of course the big question is it a 116 or 119 towards the end of the video?

L59?

119 100%

NSE in same set

Paddington, so if HD would be 117 not 116

• RMweb Premium

Olive?

For some reason I started to get letters from the tax man to Mr Olive Mortimore. Address was correct, NI number was correct but not my name. I wrote to them pointing out I was still a geezer called Clive. The next letter from them was to Clive not Olive but I never had a sorry.

• Friendly/supportive 5

19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Olive?

For some reason I started to get letters from the tax man to Mr Olive Mortimore. Address was correct, NI number was correct but not my name. I wrote to them pointing out I was still a geezer called Clive. The next letter from them was to Clive not Olive but I never had a sorry.

Hi Clive,

I would have sent them a bill for correcting their poorly prepared paperwork !

Gibbo.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

I would have sent them a bill for correcting their poorly prepared paperwork !

When I retired they got my final payslip wrong, so I emailed them to ask for it to be corrected.  They said they couldn’t without proof that I was me as I hadn’t used my internal email address (because it had been shut down!).

So I quoted them my commercial terms for supplying additional verification, given that I wouldn’t be paid for the time.

Strangely, they found themselves able to correct my pay without further proof.

Paul.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

When I retired they got my final payslip wrong, so I emailed them to ask for it to be corrected.  They said they couldn’t without proof that I was me as I hadn’t used my internal email address (because it had been shut down!).

So I quoted them my commercial terms for supplying additional verification, given that I wouldn’t be paid for the time.

Strangely, they found themselves able to correct my pay without further proof.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

It is a procedure that works a treat and really ought to be more widely used, business is indeed business when conducted in a correct and proper fashion !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Everyone knows that is one of the best 210 videos,

Had a few rides on them when I lived in Reading; right noisy beasts!  Were the big handles on the seat backs unique to them?

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Olive?

I did much better than that some years ago Mr Taxman sent me a £1500 tax rebate. I was sure it was because they hadn’t taken my company car into account, so I sent them a polite letter asking them to check their records and their figures to make sure there was no mistake . Instead of the expected polite reply saying thanks for pointing out our mistake can you send the money back all I got was a form with a load of figures on it that said I had paid all my tax and nothing was owed, so I banked the money, and was never asked for it. So the good old taxman funded a couple of Clive Groomes Footplate Days and Ways courses for me:rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Apart from a C becoming an O I have always had good support from the taxman. I found as a sole trader if I thought I had a problem or I didn't understand something getting in contact with them before they saw it was a problem it was resolved very quickly and usually in my favor.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Apart from a C becoming an O I have always had good support from the taxman. I found as a sole trader if I thought I had a problem or I didn't understand something getting in contact with them before they saw it was a problem it was resolved very quickly and usually in my favor.

It's that extra C. They knew you didn't like it.

• Funny 5