Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I had one ride on the 210, from Oxford to Paddington with a lovely young woman who was an Antiquarian and a Vicar's daughter.  She was doing some research at the Imperial War Museum. 

It was a memorable day out, alright.

Hi Doc

Only you could pick up a girl on her way to Bedlam.

• Funny 6

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Apart from a C becoming an O I have always had good support from the taxman. I found as a sole trader if I thought I had a problem or I didn't understand something getting in contact with them before they saw it was a problem it was resolved very quickly and usually in my favor.

When I first left school I worked for the Eastern Electricity Board for a few boring years before moving on to better things.  One of the jobs had had authority to do was to correct names and addresses or change them when people moved. I can’t tell  

you the fun I had with that on the day before I left !  One of my colleagues was particularly tight fisted so I changed his house name to “The Wallet “ and subsequently heard it remained like that for several years.

It just strike me that if there was a similarly mischievous 20year old at the Inland Revenue , about to leave the next day you might find your letters addressed the Mr D. C. C. Mortimore 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

On 12/06/2021 at 10:22, cheesysmith said:

https://flic.kr/y/3zCcF4M

I have done my small yellow end with a yellow panel inside of the marker lights. But th photos I've seen show it as being bigger and extending to outside the lights on th early blue repaints. Easily fixed with a quick spray, but we're there any craven DMU with a smaller yellow end? Asking because I think it looks better with a smaller yellow end.

Follow up on my earlier answer, scroll down p.43 here;

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107083-water-orton-layout-and-stock/page/43/

John.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2021 at 17:34, Satan's Goldfish said:

Any layout updates Olive? 

Hi Map

No.

But I have been sorting out what was the dogs bedroom into a workshop.

004a.jpg.734bb9b44b909871c27bf004fd53ff0e.jpg

3D printer and the master work station, with the lovely Alicia singing to me.

005a.jpg.62917ffddad9020dd39244515e346df6.jpg

The drawing reproduction machine and a Portrait cutter. 

006a.jpg.e41ec901efa4efa1bdfad6b91b27052f.jpg

The main work table.

009a.jpg.b4dde9ec1dc13e08e8ffa6c7aa6a0ce3.jpg

The machine shop.

010a.jpg.fa7c3e9990b4a3d71e94b8022aeadd73.jpg

Part two of the machine shop.

011a.jpg.adcd95593266e6c05f1712f9a10db6ef.jpg

The hand painting section of the paint shop. Gotta get the brushes out tool draws.

012a.jpg.c471da2f4a833add4d21a6672e0db966.jpg

The spray booth.

013a.jpg.71dd516c717d2f828b7cf994847406cb.jpg

New compressor.

The dogs have not been kicked out their beds are under the machine and paint shops.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 10

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Nice! I wish my workshop was that organised :( (in fact, I just wish I had time to make use of my workshop at all!)

Does this mean we're in danger of seeing some paint on multi-coloured carriages?

23 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

That’s it, this thread is ruined!!!!! Clive’s going to start painting his Chop Shop trains, Aarrgh!!!!!! :o

Actually, love the workshop.  Your giving me ideas!

Paul

Hi Map and Paul

"He has all the gear but no idea"

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

18 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Just part way through painting my 127 DPU, but it was a pity BR didn`t try this instead of the white with blue stripe for the refurbished DMUs. I think it looks quite good.

DSCF0143.JPG.7bdb19a8c95e10f5ff21175983211476.JPG

Quite good ? I think it looks really good. Your paint job that is. Love to see the finished article in due course. It’s inspired me to get on with my Lima DMU’s that have been waiting for years for some experimental colours. As for the BR scheme of white with a blue stripe, let’s face it, they couldn’t have done much worse, although some of the Regional Railways  and Network South East seem to have managed it ( just my biased opinion of course ):D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Hi Clive, what size compressor is that?

Eric

Hi Eric

It is a 20-25 liters per minute output.  The cylinder has a power rating of 1/5 HP. 

Automatic start at 3bar and stop at 4 bar.

Any of that makes any sense?

To me it looked good in the advert and came with two air brushes.

It is a Switzer AS186.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds good. We already have a compressor and I was thinking of trying it with an airbrush. It has a 5 litre tank and will do higher pressures up to about 7 bar but I've also used it for doing tyres at 2 bar and can adjust the output pressure lower than that. Got me thinking about a bit of experimentation.

Eric

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It is a 20-25 liters per minute output. 

You'll be needing quite a few of those small humbrol paint pots then. . . . . . .. . . . 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Eric

It is a 20-25 liters per minute output.  The cylinder has a power rating of 1/5 HP. 

Automatic start at 3bar and stop at 4 bar.

Any of that makes any sense?

To me it looked good in the advert and came with two air brushes.

It is a Switzer AS186.

Hi

Same model number as mine. It has served me and my son well for the last ten years. 

Mine also came with with a couple of airbrushes that seem perfectly adequate but I prefer my Iwata for most jobs. I use one of the airbrushes supplied with the compressor for spraying etch primer.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Autocorrect errors
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Same model number as mine. It has served me and my son well for the last ten years. 

Mine also came with with a couple of airbrushes that seem perfectly adequate but I prefer my Iwata for most jobs. I use one of the airbrushes supplied with the compressor for spraying etch primer.

Cheers

Paul

That's interesting to know as I have the same kit. I've never used either of the airbrushes that came win the package, sounds as if they do work!

John.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

:yahoo: first visitors to Sheffield Exchange for over a year today :yahoo:

Thanks Gilbert and Steve for coming over :locomotive::locomotive:

The layout didn't misbehave to much, neither did Gilbert and Steve.

Must try harder.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4