Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

14 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

, but what about Olive?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Don't worry, as indicated a page or so back Olive is, "Not Alone",

Here is some Icelandic stuff I was introduced to over the week end by a woman that played me the entirety of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto on her fiddle:

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been looking at toy trains, I have ordered some Mainline LMS period1 carriages to make a rake of them. I am also looking at some LMS Coronation Scott coaches, the ones that were due to go to into service in 1940 but the war put an end to them, not the ones Hornby have recently sold in great quantities to the collectors.

Mean while a couple of songs, Sharon and Angel are on the periphery of my normal listen sphere, this is wonderful,

The next is from Kelli of Skating Polly, a very sad story told from a different perspective.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 02/07/2021 at 01:21, St Enodoc said:

Well, she would, wouldn't she?

Hi There Enodoc,

She actually played the third movement first which is the bit she really likes best and then after the interlude she played the whole lot so not necessarily, especially as each movement is indeed a stand alone piece in and of itself.

That is what she said and who am I to know as I can only play the organ*.

Gibbo.

* To think, "during the interlude" is to lower oneself to my level or something of that ilk.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to really confuse issues of poshness in the thread... this evening this scruffy old goth has been to the opera, and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Andi

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Just to really confuse issues of poshness in the thread... this evening this scruffy old goth has been to the opera, and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Andi

I too have attended a number of Opera performances and Tommy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I too have attended a number of Opera performances and Tommy.

Ah but have you attended a world premier of an opera???

(ok, I admit it, I was being paid to be there - nice to have some proper work again, it's been a long time!)

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have never had the incentive to attend a symphony performance, just never appealed. Nor have musicals, despite my mum dragging me along to some when I was young. 

That was last night's event, BBC National Orchestra of Wales... 

Andi

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Dagworth said:

That was last night's event, BBC National Orchestra of Wales... 

Andi

And speaking of orchestras and Wales, this was a fun gig to light..

Andi

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about likes and dislikes in music it is a bit like many things in life. There are some types of music that people really like, or dislike but in between there is a wide range that do not appeal but are not disliked.  Sometimes you are hit by a song that is outside your normal listening which you like.

Like our hobby of model railways we all see models we like and some we dislike but I am sure most of you like me neither like or dislike what others do. Then out the blue a GWR layout will appeal.

Anyhow a song that has come my direction which I like, from what I can make out Alaska was Spain's pop-punk of the 1980s and most of her songs are like Eurovision entries of the time, this one is a lot different mainly cos the geezer is singing not Alaska.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

And speaking of orchestras and Wales, this was a fun gig to light..

Andi

So Andi, very clever lighting, just one question how did you make the people go black and white?

:punish:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So Andi, very clever lighting, just one question how did you make the people go black and white?

:punish:

You need very special black lights for that effect!

The poppy petals were great fun, we dropped a handful during soundcheck to time how long they took from the roof to the floor (between 10 and 28 seconds) and I was the one cueing the two chaps in the roof when to drop them. Watching the audience reaction as they realised poppy petals were falling was amazing.

Huge gig and very special, but not as big as this one, Microsoft theatre in L.A. Biggest venue I've ever lit!

Andi

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Right you lot, stop this posh stuff right now or else.

As Jarvis says Black Lace are remembered for Agadoo, and I have bookmarked it for a future culture war.

My Dear Clive,

To quote Jarvis, "She studied sculpture at Saint Martins College".

Not exactly a working class ambition now is it ?

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

My Dear Clive,

Gibbo.

I like this version of it 

Andi

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Right you lot, stop this posh stuff right now or else.

As Jarvis says Black Lace are remembered for Agadoo, and I have bookmarked it for a future culture war.

A couple of years ago I was at an industry event in Sheffield Uni Students Union.  They have lots of posters/memorabilia on display of past gigs, including many from the Britpop era.  I was very impressed by the montage made up of the lyrics to "Common People" (one of their best songs IMO); Pulp were of course a Sheffield band but the lyrics could have described many a student I came across in my Uni years.

IMG_0804.JPG.af675295fe137b0bd7a85f95000a0762.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see this thread is living up to its reputation of exploring varied musical genres.  Bravo.

I think I saw a reference to model railways somewhere on this page, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

My Dear Clive,

Gibbo.

Ah young Gibbo,

The poor little rich lady was the one studying sculpture.

Anyhow why can't working class people study sculpture. It is similar to oiks liking classical music, it isn't the privilege of the toffs. You proved it.

• Agree 2