Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

I have managed to get some modelling done, but back to work Monday. Whilst putting window blanks on my DPU, A question came up.

This fine weather has allowed me to paint some models, my DMUs are going to be either blue or blue/grey. The question I am asking is what units had painted window frames and which did not? Looking through pictures I am confident that the Craven's have painted frames and the Metcams have silver frames. What about the others? As best as I can tell, they had painted frames.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I have managed to get some modelling done, but back to work Monday. Whilst putting window blanks on my DPU, A question came up.

This fine weather has allowed me to paint some models, my DMUs are going to be either blue or blue/grey. The question I am asking is what units had painted window frames and which did not? Looking through pictures I am confident that the Craven's have painted frames and the Metcams have silver frames. What about the others? As best as I can tell, they had painted frames.

Hi Cheesy

Met-Cams and Wickhams had aluminum frames that were left unpainted.

Many types had unpainted frames to the sliding vents when new, these were often painted as time went by.

Best to have a butchers at https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

43 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Cheesy

Many types had unpainted frames to the sliding vents when new, these were often painted as time went by.

Not so sure about your qualifications to comment on coach painting, Clive!

(I've not seen much evidence here).

TONY

• Funny 10

Thanks for that. Have been looking myself, but the more people help, the more chance of not missing something.

Saying that, I was looking at the railcar website and found a error on my DPU. One too many window blanked out. Time to get the knife out

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Not so sure about your qualifications to comment on coach painting, Clive!

(I've not seen much evidence here).

TONY

Hi Tony,

To be fair to Clive, the subject is only the painting of DMU window frames so there are certain considerations to be taken into account.

1. DMU's are not strictly coaches.
  2. Clive hasn't glazed his coaches or his DMU's either, so putting masking tape on the glazing that isn't there would be very tricky.
  3. Unpainted DMU window frames don't need painting anyway, even if they haven't got any glazing fitted.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Funny 4

Hi, Clive

Bit (rather a lot?) off-thread, but what are your views on the Theddlethorpe proposals? We're 28 miles away and none too thrilled. Sounds like it's been well thought-out - superb road links and rail links to get the stuff in (not). And 14 miles from a massive reservoir supplying a large county and beyond... Who dreams this stuff up?

Steve

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stevea said:

Hi, Clive

Bit (rather a lot?) off-thread, but what are your views on the Theddlethorpe proposals? We're 28 miles away and none too thrilled. Sounds like it's been well thought-out - superb road links and rail links to get the stuff in (not). And 14 miles from a massive reservoir supplying a large county and beyond... Who dreams this stuff up?

Steve

Ah!! That is what Mrs M said would be under the sea in 50 years time.

I will need to look at the proposals properly in the next few days. I find the local BBC can sensationalise things to fill up the 30 minutes and interviewing Mrs "I am going to be dead before they finish it" only tells us she is outraged by it. 

• Like 3

On 26/07/2021 at 08:35, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Cheesy

Curiously, the Wickham cab front frames appear to have been painted over during repainting. The sides seem to have been left shiny.

On 26/07/2021 at 21:11, stevea said:

Hi, Clive

Steve

22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah!! That is what Mrs M said would be under the sea in 50 years time.

I will need to look at the proposals properly in the next few days. I find the local BBC can sensationalise things to fill up the 30 minutes and interviewing Mrs "I am going to be dead before they finish it" only tells us she is outraged by it. 

I am sure Haven are also very pleased with it being right next door to the proposed site.

Given that the East Coast is well known for it's regular reclamation by the sea, it seems awfully close to the coast for something so risky.

• Agree 1

Hi Clive,

If you want a day out in Theddlethorpe sometime in the future then you could borrow this*:

1182805040_DSCN1539(2).JPG.3849e3eb08253f219099f36d3d1964c9.JPG

It might not be completely radiation proof but it is unpainted !!!

Gibbo.

* You may have to breathe in a slight.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

21 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

If you want a day out in Theddlethorpe sometime in the future then you could borrow this*:

1182805040_DSCN1539(2).JPG.3849e3eb08253f219099f36d3d1964c9.JPG

It might not be completely radiation proof but it is unpainted !!!

Gibbo.

* You may have to breathe in a slight.

These are not the trains we are looking for......

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

On 26/07/2021 at 08:35, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Cheesy

Hi

Re the Met-Cam 101s, something was ringing bells between my two remaining brain cells about some of them having had painted window frames while in BR blue livery. On the Railcar site, the caption for Steve Jones' pic of SC50172 suggests that the ScR painted theirs at that time, and the centre car of the set illustrated does indeed appear to have them painted. I suppose research is paramount. Have fun finding the details with 170 pages of class 101 pics to look through! If you have particular unit/coach numbers in mind then at least you have a good chance of finding the necessary reference pics. The Railcar site is superb!

Regards

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks for this. I think the window question is it depends on if the windows had raised or flush frame, and if the frame was steel or alloy. If the latter, the paint would flake off . Keep thinking of the differences between the prototype MK3 and production windows. Also the Craven's units with painted frames, and the difference between the 104 and 110.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/07/2021 at 21:11, stevea said:

Hi, Clive

Steve

Tonight on the local BBC news they had an interview with our MP on the beach at Theddlethorpe. Thank goodness it wasn't a sunny day because they filmed it in front of the sand dunes the nudist use, I say nudist they all seem to be blokes as old as me.

I was walking my dogs there one day and got chatting to a lady who was also walking her dogs. She asked me did I let my dogs off in the dunes as her dog chased the rabbits in the dunes. I said I didn't especially when that lot are there, pointing towards the wrinkly old bodies. She looked up, turned round to me and said " I have never noticed them before, I am not shocked, I just want to laugh out loud." With that we both started to laugh.

The proposals do not seemed to have been made public as yet.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

Ref Theddlethorpe, just a quick glance read of this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-57973015 and my immediate thought is there's some standard uninformed (and uncorrected) comments contained in it. The chap that says there's already places to store the waste needs to be informed that there's no long term plan anywhere for that apart from in 1x Scandinavian country where they are already implementing something similar.

The woman worried about it being unmanned and nobody having any idea what's going on once it's sealed, somebody needs to explain to exactly what that involves rather than just leaving her worried.

The location being close to the eroding coast isn't a problem, it's all due to be buried in solid rock that is well below sea level anyway, not an area of loose land that will take a battering from the waves and cause a major incident. The coast being eroded away in the long run will just make it even harder for any future civilisation to accidentally access the site in a few 1,000 / 1,000,000 years time.

Wikipedia article for those that want to know more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_geological_repository and can explain the choosing of sites better than i ever can!

Nuclear related infrastructure always seems to suffer from having had a bad PR department at certain times in its past and people always remember the negatives. I could rant for a quite a while on why i think it's something we should be investing more in, but unless Clive is planning on adding a reactor alongside the line at Sheffield Exchange then i'll resist ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Following the chat about unpainted window frames where Mr Know it All Mortimore bumped his gums about Met-Cam units having unpainted frames. This photo appeared on the parcels trains thread. Even the green center car appears to have painted frames. I don't think this is a ScR unit replicating William Wallace's attack on York.

Trslid202f D5602 York

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2