Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

On 29/07/2021 at 19:39, Clive Mortimore said:

Tonight on the local BBC news they had an interview with our MP on the beach at Theddlethorpe. Thank goodness it wasn't a sunny day because they filmed it in front of the sand dunes the nudist use, I say nudist they all seem to be blokes as old as me.

I was walking my dogs there one day and got chatting to a lady who was also walking her dogs. She asked me did I let my dogs off in the dunes as her dog chased the rabbits in the dunes. I said I didn't especially when that lot are there, pointing towards the wrinkly old bodies. She looked up, turned round to me and said " I have never noticed them before, I am not shocked, I just want to laugh out loud." With that we both started to laugh.

The proposals do not seemed to have been made public as yet.

Hi, Clive

In your earlier post you referred to the regular event of the coastal area being reclaimed by the sea. With climate change and global warming this is surely only likely to increase the chances of recurrences of such events, and are the authorities likely to spend money on improving coastal defences in East Lincs when they seem quite happy to continue to let East Yorks fall into the sea? If such an event were to engulf this new facility at Theddlethorpe, goodness knowws what might end up washing around the fine agricultural area that is the fenlands. Time will tell. I hope the authorities take all factors into consideration.

Anyway, enough doom and gloom. Have you any more of your superb dmu projects to update us on, to brighten up the day?

Regards 

Steve

2 hours ago, stevea said:

Hi, Clive

In your earlier post you referred to the regular event of the coastal area being reclaimed by the sea. With climate change and global warming this is surely only likely to increase the chances of recurrences of such events, and are the authorities likely to spend money on improving coastal defences in East Lincs when they seem quite happy to continue to let East Yorks fall into the sea? If such an event were to engulf this new facility at Theddlethorpe, goodness knowws what might end up washing around the fine agricultural area that is the fenlands. Time will tell. I hope the authorities take all factors into consideration.

Anyway, enough doom and gloom. Have you any more of your superb dmu projects to update us on, to brighten up the day?

Regards 

Steve

I would like to refer the honourable gentleman to my post yesterday at the bottom of the page. Waste will not be stored on the surface or anywhere even close to water level, the eventual erosion of the land into the sea is a good future security measure for the site.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I would like to refer the honourable gentleman to my post yesterday at the bottom of the page. Waste will not be stored on the surface or anywhere even close to water level, the eventual erosion of the land into the sea is a good future security measure for the site.

I wonder how this will effect the members of the nudist gang in the sand dunes?

• Funny 6

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I wonder how this will effect the members of the nudist gang in the sand dunes?

Global warming being what it is I suspect they'll enjoy the warmer weather... If they're not fussed about getting naked in public now, then I doubt they'll care if there's suddenly some cameras around too :D

Just out of curiosity what is the rate of erosion for your part of Lincolnshire? Wondering how it compares to the Norfolk/Suffolk rate of land loss.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Global warming being what it is I suspect they'll enjoy the warmer weather... If they're not fussed about getting naked in public now, then I doubt they'll care if there's suddenly some cameras around too :D

Just out of curiosity what is the rate of erosion for your part of Lincolnshire? Wondering how it compares to the Norfolk/Suffolk rate of land loss.

I don't think it is erosion around here, it is the prospect of higher sea levels. The prediction is one of the ranch ( 3 miles inland and 2 m above the present sea level)  being under water and the high water mark being the Co-op at Manby (5 miles inland).

Might need to invest in a boat to go shopping at the Co-op.

The beach at Threddlethorpe in front of the gas terminal.

033.jpg.786cacff3d4846fedeb5d18612322edf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately I live on the 170 metre contour and the supermarket is at 140 metres. I doubt global warming will overtake us in my lifetime.

When our son worked in York he had a flat near to the racecourse. His priority was to rent on the first floor rather than own anything that was at ground level. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m between a 34m spot height and the 35m contour with a supermarket 97m away (50m if I could fly).

I’m feeling similarly smug about remaining above sea level, although other aspects of climate change may well impact.

Paul.

G'Day Folks

Sea levels are not rising in the  East Lincs. area, the land is sinking, This is due the weight of the 'Ice sheets' that covered most of Great Britain for 30,000 + years, Scotland was pushed 'Down' under the weight of Ice, Southern England rising in consequence, with the melting of the ice, Scotland is rising and Southern England is reverting to it's natural position, imagine a see saw effect.

manna

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

When I was a school back in the early 70s our geography teacher was talking about the effects of the ice ages on the British landscape when he paused and said that the indications are the world will get warmer with a possibility of the ice caps melting causing the sea level to rise. He did give a figure which after 50 years I have forgotten  but I have not forgotten that he said the school would be flooded up to the second floor. Too which everyone smiled, and he then said "But you can still come to geography lessons as we are on the third floor, you are not smiling now."

The school is close to my family home in Bedford and when I go past I look up at his old class room and the globe is still hanging from the ceiling and think of the waves lapping against the windows as the kids inside learn about the ice age.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Sea levels are not rising in the  East Lincs. area, the land is sinking, This is due the weight of the 'Ice sheets' that covered most of Great Britain for 30,000 + years, Scotland was pushed 'Down' under the weight of Ice, Southern England rising in consequence, with the melting of the ice, Scotland is rising and Southern England is reverting to it's natural position, imagine a see saw effect.

manna

Hi Terry

The rising sea levels will be a result of the ice caps melting not the land sinking. Where I live in Norman times was tidal marshes. Up to the turn of the last century high tides could reach my house. Some of the older houses have an inverted V which is the high tide mark. We are considered a high risk flood area, but talking to the locals the last time our village was flooded was 31 January 1953, so was much of coastal eastern England. I know when I lived in Essex the people on Canvey Island still talked about it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the estimate for the rise in sea level if all glaciers and the polar ice caps melted is about 70 metres. That would leave Birmingham and Leeds as the largest sea ports in the UK. 

HS2 is obviously being built in the wrong place as it should start from Birmingham and head north through Walsall to Stoke on Trent and Bradford as these places will be the most important in Britain if the worst happens. Gorton would become the last resort, seaside that is.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Terry

The rising sea levels will be a result of the ice caps melting not the land sinking. Where I live in Norman times was tidal marshes. Up to the turn of the last century high tides could reach my house. Some of the older houses have an inverted V which is the high tide mark. We are considered a high risk flood area, but talking to the locals the last time our village was flooded was 31 January 1953, so was much of coastal eastern England. I know when I lived in Essex the people on Canvey Island still talked about it.

That was a Storm surge.

manna

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, manna said:

That was a Storm surge.

manna

Yeah, and the last time Soloby was flooded.

The next time will be a gradual rise in sea levels and a decrease in house prices. Hopefully I will be dead by then. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

Yeah, and the last time Soloby was flooded.

The next time will be a gradual rise in sea levels and a decrease in house prices. Hopefully I will be dead by then. 

I have no doubt sea levels will rise, but slowly, Mother Nature, doesn't always rush, a million years is nothing.

manna

10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Predicted sea levels for Lincolnshire 2050, I know they might be a tad over estimating.

image.png.64062b9a20e6eb7040f8bdaacc346fcc.png

Hi Clive,

Look on the bright side, most of what this chap talks of hasn't even been taken into account:

Gibbo.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Apologies for not having read this post referred to before making my last remarks. Leisure time is at a premium at this point in my shift roster. Regarding the storage of waste at Theddlethorpe, I doubt the even if approval was given, it would be a five minute job to get the ball rolling, and once dumping had started, I suspect that it might take several years at least to fill the facility, otherwise why use it if there's no great capacity available? All this time, the access to the site (on land at Theddlethorpe?) is potentially vulnerable to an incident like that in 1953 where combined extreme tidal and meteorological conditions caused the North Sea to overflow flood protection measures in the area large areas of the land were flooded. This type of incident is predicted to be more likely in coming years as water levels rise due to recession of the ice caps. So all the time the facility is in use, until it is filled, capped and finally sealed, there is potential for flood water from the North Sea to access the waste stored below, and then wash around the surrounding area containing who know what.

You refer to the waste being encased in solid rock. How carefully is this going to be sealed? If it's just a case of dropping rock in to top it off,that doesn't seem to me to be a particularly watertight arrangement, and even if concrete were used, how is this guaranteed? And - back to the 'solid rock'... In 2008 there was an earthquake near Market Rasen, 18 miles away, and approximately due west of Theddlethorpe. It was the largest in the UK for 24 years, at 5.2 on the Richter scale (not a pleasant experience for us living 13 miles away) and was described as having taken place due to movement on an East-West fault line. I'm no geological expert, but how long is this fault line, and does it extend as far as Theddlethorpe, not far of due east of Rasen? So, again, exactly how solid is this rock?

Anyway, one would hope but not necessarily expect that the authorities would take this into account, expediency probably taking priority. I'm amazed that the government are giving this serious consideration, due to the factors above, the extremely poor transport access, and most importantly (to them, I'd think) the fact that Lincolnshire has at present entirely Conservative MPs. Once again, apologies to Clive for a post which has nothing to do with Toy Trains, Music, or Fun. That'll be my last two penn'orth on the subject on your thread.

Regards

The aforementioned right honourable.. 

PS - what about some dmus?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Look on the bright side, most of what this chap talks of hasn't even been taken into account:

Gibbo.

Whizz

image.png.2b220bdbeeee48d4e8df7266280f5999.png

What was that all about?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Love this bout sea levels. Will have to rise a bit more before I get worried.

Ah!!! with all that steel in Sheffield you are well bu88ered according to Gibbo's magnetic doomsday. :scared:

By coincidence Bloxx have recently released a song called Magnet, 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah!!! with all that steel in Sheffield you are well bu88ered according to Gibbo's magnetic doomsday. :scared:

By coincidence Bloxx have recently released a song called Magnet, 

Hi Clive,

With any luck most of Outokumpo's stainless steel production is austenitic and therefore non-ferromagnetic, so Dave and his DMU's will be just fine.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

With any luck most of Outokumpo's stainless steel production is austenitic and therefore non-ferromagnetic, so Dave and his DMU's will be just fine.

Gibbo.

:scared:Help he is using big words again. :scared:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chaps

Some recent purchases for Sheffield Exchange.

Can you tell what is working with the push me- pull you coach?

a001.jpg.f4a5d16ce6ba90ca7cbd2cb713ec9c19.jpg

It is a LMS 2P 0-4-4T, I saw it on e-bay and thought why not. Who ever made it used a Hornby Jinty as his starting point, even the chassis is converted form a Jinty one. It is a tad short and i think the cab should be a few more millimeters high but it looks the part and until I make one (if ever) I now have two locos for the push pull train, a Ivatt class 2 tank and this little fella.

a003.jpg.7581b9095ede1a36919f5adf0c34775f.jpg

I do intend to line it and replace the BRITISH RAILWAYS with an emblem.

Following a barrage of post on the DEMU  forum by one bloke, I am now going to install some trap points. I bought two small radius points on a visit to Casitor Loco, they will be cut roughly where the red lines are which hopefully will be visually correct. They will work, I have the point motors. It also means I can advance my signals so they do not confuse drivers shuffling locos around the engine yards.

a005.jpg.a91430031a956b4b25e8d8f19d0cfb7d.jpg

The diesel depot

a006.jpg.38dfebd804b89d406878f3793ad83285.jpg

The steam shed.

I am copying John who is building Leeds City ( the Midland side) with my signals. Pre the adoption of the position signals (dots) many early colour light signaling schemes had their own variation on calling on and shunt signals. One seen in a few LMS locations was a white aspect with a red C or S displayed. Would the signal be a shunt or a calling on if a loco was to only go as far as the starter signal and then drop back to a platform? Over to the signal experts. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

20 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Chaps

Some recent purchases for Sheffield Exchange.

Can you tell what is working with the push me- pull you coach?

a001.jpg.bdff376d9f286c20160558912c99d994.jpg

It is a LMS 2P 0-4-4T, I saw it on e-bay and thought why not. Who ever made it used a Hornby Jinty as his starting point, even the chassis is converted form a Jinty one. It is a tad short and i think the cab should be a few more millimeters high but it looks the part and until I make one (if ever) I now have two locos for the push pull train, a Ivatt class 2 tank and this little fella.

a003.jpg.3376c92e43746a4b4f96e94a6aca369c.jpg

I do intend to line it and replace the BRITISH RAILWAYS with an emblem.

Following a barrage of post on the DEMU  forum by one bloke, I am now going to install some trap points. I bought two small radius points on a visit to Casitor Loco, they will be cut roughly where the red lines are which hopefully will be visually correct. They will work, I have the point motors. It also means I can advance my signals so they do not confuse drivers shuffling locos around the engine yards.

a005.jpg.b5f264854eaefcc0df046afbdda2f50b.jpg

The diesel depot

a006.jpg.d7196f22cabd08ef81ef1d0f6dae8d10.jpg

The steam shed.

I am copying John who is building Leeds City ( the Midland side) with my signals. Pre the adoption of the position signals (dots) many early colour light signaling schemes had their own variation on calling on and shunt signals. One seen in a few LMS locations was a white aspect with a red C or S displayed. Would the signal be a shunt or a calling on if a loco was to only go as far as the starter signal and then drop back to a platform? Over to the signal experts. 

Hi Clive,

You do know that Peco actually make catch points SL84 (RH) and SL85 (LH).

Gibbo.