Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Hi Clive, your Stanier 2P was a bit of a blast from the past for me. Almost a life time ago one of the first railway magazines by Dad bought me, ( from memory the Model Railway News ) had an article with precisely this conversion of a Triang Jinty.  Judging by your pictures , yours could well be an old Triang chassis so it’s possible that your model was one inspired by just that MRN article. Goodness knows why the article stuck in my mind for all these years, probably because I thought that one day I might try one myself, but never did. 

Recently , and possibly still, Ernie Bay had a 2P body .

Is it a decent runner ? I would have thought that chopping a Jinty around would cause weight distribution problems.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The S is for shunt. Would the signal display S (shunt) or C (calling on) for loco moves from the platform to inner starter before reversing into a loco yard?

C is always to an occupied line.  Most frequently to platforms but not necessarily e.g. Up Engine & Carriage at Paddington had them (in bandit country and east of Royal Oak).  You would want S.

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Actually I can't see any need for it to show either if it is entering an empty signal section.    If it is entering a signal section where something is already standng it then depends on whose particular idea you are adopting from the 1930s (or whatever you are devising as your own standard) but a miniature green on its own with no letter does seem to have been quite acceptable for shunting moves.  You'd probably only use the 'C' when entering an occupied platform.

Agreed, with my (G)WR hat on.  LM(S)R would often provide a shunt to the same destination to indicate stop beyond the set back signal.  That influence extended to ScR which is where I came across it.  So I can argue either way on a model depending what mood I am in (or whom I am trying to wind up!).

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As I have stated in my last post I am going to have ago at making the Manchester type signals, where the little green will tell the driver he can move off. If that doesn't work then plan B will be throw everything up in the air and take up knitting.

Good on you.

You are allowed to paint them. :-)

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to the subject of Manchester Victoria, writing a post on ERs earlier jogged a memory. Back in 1968 I was working for a spell in the S&T workshops at Crewe. On task I was given was to dismantle one of the cluster signals from Vic and whilst the case was going through the stripping and repainting processand the electrical parts refurbished, to make a replica of the original wiring loom which was rotting away. I then had to rebuild the signal to be returned for re-use when another one needed repairing.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, bgman said:

Nice legs !!! :lol:

HI bgman,

I must concur, it's not often you see such a well moulded legs upon a high legged chair, quite the juxtaposition with the rough sawn fence.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Her is a song from a lovely lady, I must be getting soft in my old age as I like the stuff Lucy does.

She is also in a trio called Boygenius with Julien Baker and Phoebe Bridges two other very clever lady singer song writers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A new Bachy Sulzer Bo-Bo arrived at the ranch today. I am disgusted with Bachmann, so they have the livery correct for D5036, the exhaust right and generally it looks good. So why am I disgusted with them, they have not plated over the tiny vents above the cab doors which was a typical ER modification. OK I found out about this variation today today. Surprising what you can learn when you read stuff on the interweb. Here is a photo of the real one.

BR Sulzer Type 2 (Class 24/1) No D5036

Photo by John Evans from Flickr.

Full review and photos of model will appear in a future episode of this guff.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A new Bachy Sulzer Bo-Bo arrived at the ranch today. I am disgusted with Bachmann, so they have the livery correct for D5036, the exhaust right and generally it looks good. So why am I disgusted with them, they have not plated over the tiny vents above the cab doors which was a typical ER modification. OK I found out about this variation today today. Surprising what you can learn when you read stuff on the interweb. Here is a photo of the real one.

BR Sulzer Type 2 (Class 24/1) No D5036

Photo by John Evans from Flickr.

It wouldn't be half as much fun if there wasn't something that needed to be sorted! IIRC you have an SLW one as well, it'll be interesting to know how you feel about the two in comparison?

I clicked on the excellent picture as I thought it looked like Seaton Jn. (Rutland not Devon). Turned out to be the last day of services in 1966. At far right beyond the big bush you can just make out the start of the Midland's Harringworth viaduct which crosses this line on the far bridge seen in the distance to the right of the water tower.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 05/08/2021 at 00:26, Clive Mortimore said:

Who doesn't like these three ladies, and they are doing a Rory Gallagher song.

Really good Clive. Thought I recognised the roof from a long time ago but then the hills around Belfast(?) hove into view...

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The source of my information. https://www.derbysulzers.com/24036.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

In solidarity I wont be buying one of those new Bachmann 47s for my n gauge railway, I will make do with the Farish ones.

Disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

In solidarity I wont be buying one of those new Bachmann 47s for my n gauge railway, I will make do with the Farish ones.

Disgusting.

Hi Woody

In many ways you N gauge modellers are lucky, many details are so small that more than 5 feet away you can only just make out what class the loco is.

:punish:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Woody

In many ways you N gauge modellers are lucky, many details are so small that more than 5 feet away you can only just make out what class the loco is.

:punish:

With my eyesight, 3 foot and a 37 and 40 merge

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Here is my review on the new Bachy Sulzer type 2. I like it despite the tiny vent grilles above the cab doors not being plated over. To me my model runs a we bit noisy compared to my older Bachmann class 24s but in good old Railway Modeller loco reviews, will improve with running in. I still have to sort out all the fiddly bits in the plastic bag and put on those that will not interfere with the running. 

I suppose the big question everyone is asking , what is like compared to a Sutton Bo-Bo. Well to be honest there isn't much in it when viewing them on the layout.

a013.jpg.55e6cd4efd5fb2b85d0f1ea4b51095e2.jpg

From left to right, new Bachmann, Sutton, old Bachmann and Hornby/Clive bodge.

a014.jpg.4349d3062c2f55842c5d23e9ffaf61e8.jpg

Side view, the grilles are very finely done. They might even be slightly under defined. You cant tell from this photo from the side being in the shadow.

a015.jpg.350b0f9f4ff1621845e6555dbf718df5.jpg

Out on the mainline crossing Doncaster Junction.

a017.jpg.c849b19363a4f79d25a955eeaa510638.jpg

Arriving at Sheffield Exchange.

a018.jpg.4929ade0884436897c72ef0987f5fd03.jpg

Snaking across the station throat.

a019.jpg.8e77b5fb9be7cb6f045114f03cf15604.jpg

Slowing down as it enters Platform Six.

a020.jpg.dc834fc38b2ed069b5da83d700322848.jpg

Fitting in with the rest of the fleet.

Did I need another Derby Type 2? No.

Did the Model live up to my expectations? Yes

Was it money well spent? I ain't sending it back.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 17