Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

New locomotives are as follows,

A L&YR 4-6-4T Dreadnought Tank. a001.jpg.0497a92546871373018147ce3d0d6565.jpg

a004.jpg.075f10cf83049e840a59e4a344069b7b.jpg

The class never made it to BR days but I think in BR mixed traffic livery it would look ace, so xD to the purist.

Followed by one of Sir Henry's little tank locos a class 3P 2-6-2T to be repainted into BR livery.

a002.jpg.d58c408edc5d4bc6cf05d2518a2c1fed.jpg

a005.jpg.258ba67ab9f5fa666463272d89f756fd.jpg

You can see where I fitted the front steps last night and got it wrong. I didn't get wrong where the funnel had to go as that was broken off as well. They are now in the right place. It is my first loco with a Portascap motor and gearbox.

Both run nicely but a tad noisy. I suspect they need a oil up. Their wheels do need cleaning.

a003.jpg.907cb192e1fb10504b8bb1466ffe9455.jpg

Very nice indeed, BUT, why do they have Look Mum Steam on the sides?

I thought all your N Jins were Buck Rogers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

This song has been covered by many artist, Courtney and Phoebe have both done it with other singers but the two of them together. Well not quite together, Phoebe in the States and Courtney in Auzzieland, singing live is brilliant.

You can tell she's down under coz her guitar's upside down.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You can tell she's down under coz her guitar's upside down.

Miss Barnett is playing a Fender guitar made for people who are left handed. Like Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain she did learn playing a right handed guitar upside down but with the strings set the right way up. Mrs M Mk1 would be pointing out how talented cack left handed people are as they have to do everything the wrong way round.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Every day is a school day. With the help of Steve and Gilbert they showed me the error of my V2. :(

Despite having crew, real coal and wonky lamps. :yahoo:

It is wrong. :cry:

006a.jpg.74f4c698d85557807c021de8aa15df45.jpg

Well I like V2s with outside steam pipes they are cool, double chimney ones are also cool, combine the two and they are super hot. Well I purchased mine some time ago, to be told yesterday that it is wrong, it never had a double chimney. That is easy I will renumber it. No still wrong, the two that were super hot had flush sided tenders not flared ones. So  I will be swapping a flush sided tender from a D49/2 with the flared tender of the V2. Some D49/2s ran with flared tenders.

At some point in time a dual exhaust port was fitted by a previous owner to a loco that never had twin smoke stacks but did have a flared tender.

Next time Gilbert and Steve visit they have a tender each to repaint. :locomotive::locomotive:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Every day is a school day. With the help of Steve and Gilbert they showed me the error of my V2. :(

Despite having crew, real coal and wonky lamps. :yahoo:

It is wrong. :cry:

006a.jpg.78d339e83bab2d0319415e147e5028f5.jpg

Well I like V2s with outside steam pipes they are cool, double chimney ones are also cool, combine the two and they are super hot. Well I purchased mine some time ago, to be told yesterday that it is wrong, it never had a double chimney. That is easy I will renumber it. No still wrong, the two that were super hot had flush sided tenders not flared ones. So  I will be swapping a flush sided tender from a D49/2 with the flared tender of the V2. Some D49/2s ran with flared tenders.

At some point in time a dual exhaust port was fitted by a previous owner to a loco that never had twin smoke stacks but did have a flared tender.

Next time Gilbert and Steve visit they have a tender each to repaint. :locomotive::locomotive:

But you posted it Clive, so there was provocation, and I believe that you are the author of your own misfortune. And have you seen my painting efforts?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, great northern said:

But you posted it Clive, so there was provocation, and I believe that you are the author of your own misfortune. And have you seen my painting efforts?

No misfortune now I know it is incorrect but can be corrected. By the sounds of it there might be a misfortune should I get you to repaint one the tenders.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

But you model an imaginary station, Clive......

It is funny how we all (well, nearly all) insist on getting our locos exactly right, but are prepared to imagine much of the rest.

One of my Dad's old friends who used to be quite a well-known modeller in the 1970s/80s, numbered all his locos in the order he'd acquired them, so he had a Class 58 numbered something like 58109.  The purists would have had a hernia but he was happy.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2021 at 13:59, Northmoor said:

But you model an imaginary station, Clive......

It is funny how we all (well, nearly all) insist on getting our locos exactly right, but are prepared to imagine much of the rest.

One of my Dad's old friends who used to be quite a well-known modeller in the 1970s/80s, numbered all his locos in the order he'd acquired them, so he had a Class 58 numbered something like 58109.  The purists would have had a hernia but he was happy.

Sometimes there is great satisfaction in knowing you can correct a model and if ar$ed actually doing so.

Other times I just throw caution to the wind, after all the Hughes Baltic tank is going to be in BR livery, and I bet it would look great.

D6407.jpg.dd8a04fde3627f5309495686804c31f9.jpg

How about a 12 cylinder 1370 hp EE Type 2 (with broken buffer)

1879772813_D8709andD9402.jpg.87a5c1e3604aeec554ace17d6e96fdf9.jpg

A pair of single engine  1650hp Deltics ?

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sometimes there is great satisfaction in knowing you can correct a model and if ar$ed actually doing so.

Other times I just throw caution to the wind, after all the Hughes Baltic tank is going to be in BR livery, and I bet it would look great.

D6407.jpg.8d9098f8ee978f82f2b145084f03613e.jpg

How about a 12 cylinder 1370 hp EE Type 2 (with broken buffer)

190852627_D8709andD9402.jpg.b580cf4f7ee16835f5d55fae1fd3d388.jpg

A pair of single engine  1650hp Deltics ?

My Hughes Baltic is in unlined BR black. It will be lined, when I pluck up courage.
The last Baltics, in my world, ended up a Brewery Sidings shed, working suburbans into the Pennines, with the occasional semi fast over 'the border.'
Glad to see one made it to Sheffield. Bet the bunker was brushed out and empty.:lol:
Is that a modded Dublo body?
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

My Hughes Baltic is in unlined BR black. It will be lined, when I pluck up courage.
The last Baltics, in my world, ended up a Brewery Sidings shed, working suburbans into the Pennines, with the occasional semi fast over 'the border.'
Glad to see one made it to Sheffield. Bet the bunker was brushed out and empty.:lol:
Is that a modded Dublo body?
Regards,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

No a common old Lima body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 11/09/2021 at 21:08, Clive Mortimore said:

New locomotives are as follows,

A L&YR 4-6-4T Dreadnought Tank. a001.jpg.0497a92546871373018147ce3d0d6565.jpg

a004.jpg.075f10cf83049e840a59e4a344069b7b.jpg

The class never made it to BR days but I think in BR mixed traffic livery it would look ace, so xD to the purist.

Followed by one of Sir Henry's little tank locos a class 3P 2-6-2T to be repainted into BR livery.

a002.jpg.d58c408edc5d4bc6cf05d2518a2c1fed.jpg

a005.jpg.258ba67ab9f5fa666463272d89f756fd.jpg

You can see where I fitted the front steps last night and got it wrong. I didn't get wrong where the funnel had to go as that was broken off as well. They are now in the right place. It is my first loco with a Portascap motor and gearbox.

Both run nicely but a tad noisy. I suspect they need a oil up. Their wheels do need cleaning.

a003.jpg.907cb192e1fb10504b8bb1466ffe9455.jpg

I don’t know why but locos that were  not a great success , always seem quite attractive to my eye, especially the 3P. This is just a thought but the Dreadnoughts seemed to look good in photographic grey rather than black but since you have a bit of a free hand in the BR era, I reckon it would look great in the same BR maroon that looked so good on the Duchesses. 

Otherwise there is always the option of GWR green …………….( I’ll get me coat ):)

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, jazzer said:

I don’t know why but locos that were  not a great success , always seem quite attractive to my eye, especially the 3P. This is just a thought but the Dreadnoughts seemed to look good in photographic grey rather than black but since you have a bit of a free hand in the BR era, I reckon it would look great in the same BR maroon that looked so good on the Duchesses. 

Otherwise there is always the option of GWR green …………….( I’ll get me coat ):)

Have to disagree Jazzer.
The 'Baltics' and the 'Dreadnoughts' always suited black. BR Mixed Traffic lined black was the Dogs!
I always thought the 'Dreadnoughts' got a bad press.
They ate coal and were complicated, but they could do good work.
Problem was, 'Bill Stanier's locos were more efficient.
As a dyed in the wool L&Y man, I love 'em.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Have to disagree Jazzer.
The 'Baltics' and the 'Dreadnoughts' always suited black. BR Mixed Traffic lined black was the Dogs!
I always thought the 'Dreadnoughts' got a bad press.
They ate coal and were complicated, but they could do good work.
Problem was, 'Bill Stanier's locos were more efficient.
As a dyed in the wool L&Y man, I love 'em.
Regards,
Chris.

No problem there then, Clive can just get another one, then he can have one lined black and one BR Maroon. :rolleyes:.

As for performance, I’ll have to defer to your L&Y expertise, being a Suverner myself, but I thought weight was a problem for the Dreadnoughts as well. I know what you mean about locos getting a bad press. I feel the same about Thompsons L1’s. Quite often when locos ate coal it was lack of understanding of essential dimensions of things like  chimney diameter, blast pipes  and boiler tube diameters in the era they were built. 

As for Staniers 2-6-4 tanks, I dare not say too much in support of GWR ex-pat on Clives thread but hammering through West Horndon  bunker first at 80mph with 11 on, coming home from a day in Southend was something special . :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Over the past couple of nights I have been doing some bodging :swoon:

I have looked at the Older (now Railroad) Hornby Stanier coaches, the G*R underframe don't help, the BR Mk1 bogies are off putting, and over large roof seams glare at me. Not a good start. The Compo is 3 ft too short, how ever the total length of the windows is only a few millimeters too short. Most the missing remainder is taken up by toilets that a fat boy like me would never get out of. I did think just adding a bit to each loo would bring the coach to full length but on second thoughts a sliver spliced between each window would be best as well as extra on the bogs.

The brake being the right length one would assume it would be right. No the van end has been lengthened and the compartments shortened to utilise the same interior as the LNER brake. Despite the sides being all over the place the roof ribs are correct.

I was going to convert a Hornby period II RC into a period III RC using the sides from either Airfix coaches or the newer Hornby Stanier coaches. The other week I won more bids on Vetis Auction than I expected to and in the haul of coaches were some older Hornby Staniers. With them in my hand I thought "Go on, what is to lose using these for conversions." 

Out came the pencil, ruler, set square (why you don't cut at right angles?) craft knife and files. Bish Bash Bosh, and a compo and a brake have become the basic body for a period III RC.

a002.jpg.4f1d43281f251fd3897b572e6320a7da.jpg

Corridor side.

a004.jpg.663cf2ba49e10e0832f2847b666ca6b7.jpg

Kitchen side.

I have extended the underframe, by doing so hopefully I will reduce the amount of plastic card used in making underframes. It is still on its "workshop bogies".

I think there is potential to use these 'Orrid 'Ornby coaches to build models of stuff that isn't RTR. I know there are kits and etched sides, I am not sure if there is much difference in modelling enjoyment in building a kit, modifying a RTR coach to take an etched side or what I do. What I do might be cheaper but only by a little. The best part for me is looking at what I have in my hand and thinking "Now If I was to cut here and here I would have something else."

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Work continues on the 'Orrid 'Ornby LMS coaches. I have shuffled the windows on a CK to make a SK, quite pleased with the outcome. I have added bits to make a CK the full 60ft (well 240mm) long, not so pleased with the outcome. Photos when I have chopped up two CKs and two BSKs to make two (as near as possible) BSKs and an artic CO+SO twin. They will form a standard Sheff Ex Brake Second/ Composite/ Composite/ Second/ Second/ Brake Second six car train together, with the RC as their dining coach when it can run into platforms 4 or 5.

• Like 8