Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
On 03/10/2021 at 10:10, cheesysmith said:

Help, I am addicted to the hatchette MK1 coaches. I now have 12. They come in useful for cutting up for my Craven's DMU. I have more than I need for my DMU fleet, so what to do with the others?

Any ideas anyone?

Ebay? You'll make a fortune by describing them as "no longer produced/never to be made again"

• Funny 5

On 02/10/2021 at 16:50, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

As you so eloquently point out I can't send this via internal email so here it is shared because I am a most generous soul who is only to pleased to speak and share his own truth.

Here is some fun for you all to regale yourselfs with, it involves the symbolism of card number thirteen of the Tarot, that of Death, unlucky for some !

DSCF1565.JPG.659f9f1d0b7684c5a6b8d08f5e5753d8.JPG

As you will see the most prominent archetype is death (1) wearing back armour riding a pale horse(2), death carries a black flag with a white rose upon it (3). The king is dead (4) he lies upon the floor and has lost his crown (corona) (5), the child is stunned (6) and the woman, perhaps the kings queen is in a repose that suggest complete capitulation (7). To the side of the woman is a bishop who is pleading for clemency (8), it will not be given, he shall be next to fall. In the back ground the Sun (9) rises between the two pillars of severity and compassion (10) with its corona (crown) (5) forming the arch that joins the two (11).

1. Kronus or Saturn is the grim reaper, he represents the passage of time bringing death and with death, rebirth. Black is the alchemical colour of Saturn. Saturn is also known as the Black Sun.
  2. The pale horse is representative of the White Sun that being the one the traverses the sky marking precise points within the passage of time by way of particular days.
  3. The square black flag represents the black cube of the alchemical Saturn or the Black Sun and the passage of time, the white rose signifies the White Sun marking your place in time in days, those of your birth, life and death. You may note that the rose has five petals and the leaves between them proscribe an inverted pentagram of the left hand path which is that of black magic.
  4. At the end of an age, 2160years, the power structures die and are replaced by new ones that have to battle their way to prominence by defeating the old systems and cultures. The dead King is representative of the now collapsing structures of government which by 2030 will have totally changed from those which were solid in 2012
  5. The crown or corona is the energy of both the Black and White Sun's energies that imbue the ages, one has to give way to the other hence the displaced crown or corona.
  6. The child of the king is representative of the population governed by the now dead system who have become confused by lack of leadership and direction.
  7. The queen without her husband the king is now rendered barren, unable to reproduce what went before.
  8. All that is left is the remaining dogma of the previous age that will go the way of the barren queen, its teachings and methods now impotent over the new age.
  9. The rising sun represents a new dawning, that of the new age.
  10. Severity and compassion are the two pillars of masonry, the path between them is that chosen by those that carry the virtue of the new dawning age that will pass into the golden light of the sun.
  11. The arch supported by the pillars signifies the building of that new age.

So folks, next time the news waffles on about Black Lives Matter, it is absolutely true, I am one of those black lives.

The age is Aquarius and its Ruler is Saturn for the Crown or Corona of Jupiter has fallen.

Gibbo.

Just picked up on this.

Does the White Rose mean that Death is really a Yorkshireman?

(Runs for cover).

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

obviously death comes from yorkshire, we end up with the jobs no one else will do.

Quick plea to all the fellow cut and shutters out there, does anybody have the sides for the tiang/Hornby BG or know where a set are available? (not at the stupid evilbay costs now being asked). They may be too long for the BG, but are perfect to cut and shut into 105 DMU brake compartments.

• Friendly/supportive 2

55 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Just picked up on this.

Does the White Rose mean that Death is really a Yorkshireman?

(Runs for cover).

John.

Hi John,

As Freidrich Nietzche once put it:

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 02/10/2021 at 14:01, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Gibbo

As you cannot receive messages, 

'king hell first E2001, then a 4DD now a cartic

Will there be anything left for us who enjoy modelling. Open the box and let Sam's Trains tell us if it is good or bad.

Have I missed something here? Who is doing those?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi John,

As Freidrich Nietzche once put it:

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Gibbo.

Yo Gibbo

Dr Gerbil-Fritters likes his books as well.

I personally haven't read one but understand the plot line is a bit weak and the hero doesn't disappear over the horizon with the beautiful lady.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

18100 (E2001/E1000)Rails/Heljan, 4DD KR and Catic 4 Revolution.

These announcements kind of reinforce the trend towards collecting locomotives and not building model railways.  I guess you'd only buy a Cartic-4 if you had a layout for it - and more model wagons are always welcome - but a one-off prototype, which became a one-off prototype locomotive.  Perhaps it'll go on the layouts with Lion, Falcon, Kestrel, Deltic and DP2?  Looking on the bright side, those are the ones that actually leave their boxes and don't just immediately get re-sold on eBay.

And of all the EMUs to make an RTR model of, we get a model representing a class of TWO, not something which could with small modifications, be a 313/314/315/507/508.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

These announcements kind of reinforce the trend towards collecting locomotives and not building model railways.  I guess you'd only buy a Cartic-4 if you had a layout for it - and more model wagons are always welcome - but a one-off prototype, which became a one-off prototype locomotive.  Perhaps it'll go on the layouts with Lion, Falcon, Kestrel, Deltic and DP2?  Looking on the bright side, those are the ones that actually leave their boxes and don't just immediately get re-sold on eBay.

And of all the EMUs to make an RTR model of, we get a model representing a class of TWO, not something which could with small modifications, be a 313/314/315/507/508.

Hold on Mr Northmoor, I have Lion Falcon and DP2, two of each of them. Lion home made and Heljan, Falcon hand crafted and Silver Fox, DP2 Lima conversion and Heljan.  I did have Kestrel but the cab got damaged and it didn't fit my modelling time period so was scrapped, the bogies now run under a GBL class 47.

image.png.a7a5a98a330d876e080e62f7afba4d2f.png

Me second scratchbuilt engine.

Here are four kestrels, not made by me.

image.png.49862c6ee4e13978007798e0d37323f8.png

:secret:I have a loco that the RTR blokes haven't made yet...10800, in its "Hawk" rebuilt state. :secret:

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hold on Mr Northmoor, I have Lion Falcon and DP2, two of each of them. Lion home made and Heljan, Falcon hand crafted and Silver Fox, DP2 Lima conversion and Heljan.  I did have Kestrel but the cab got damaged and it didn't fit my modelling time period so was scrapped, the bogies now run under a GBL class 47.

:secret:I have a loco that the RTR blokes haven't made yet...10800, in its "Hawk" rebuilt state. :secret:

Yes, but you actually modelled most of them Clive, as opposed to just wearing out your chequebook and opening the boxes.

But you knew what I meant............

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe someone will buy multiple LionFalconDP2KestrelHawks, paint them in banger blue and pretend they all went into production.  Imagine what a layout that would be, a parallel universe with a familiar but different BR...

I once day dreamed an alternate history where the West of England was the UKs version of East Germany and where steam and hydraulics happily lived on into the late 1980s...

Bristol was a divided city, Gloucester was a border town and Swindon carried on churning out GWR kettles and Westerns like a carrot crunching Meningen.

I even doodled a map.

Anyway, as you were.  The meds are kicking in now, and Nursey say's I've to be quiet...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Yes, but you actually modelled most of them Clive, as opposed to just wearing out your chequebook and opening the boxes.

But you knew what I meant............

If cutting out and gluing plastic card is modelling then thank you.

I have been told because I do not make my own motors and turn my own wheels I am not a proper scratchbuilder. :cry:

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Maybe someone will buy multiple LionFalconDP2KestrelHawks, paint them in banger blue and pretend they all went into production.  Imagine what a layout that would be, a parallel universe with a familiar but different BR...

I once day dreamed an alternate history where the West of England was the UKs version of East Germany and where steam and hydraulics happily lived on into the late 1980s...

Bristol was a divided city, Gloucester was a border town and Swindon carried on churning out GWR kettles and Westerns like a carrot crunching Meningen.

I even doodled a map.

Anyway, as you were.  The meds are kicking in now, and Nursey say's I've to be quiet...

Oh sounds great a tyrannical communist state, that would sort out Bandit Country. 

Bristol a divided city, I thought it was with G*R and the bestest pre-grouping company there, the Midland Railway, it didn't need to tell the public how great it was they just knew. Unlike the second division railways who had to big up themselves.

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Gibbo

I personally haven't read one but understand the plot line is a bit weak and the hero doesn't disappear over the horizon with the beautiful lady.

Hi Clive,

I've found Haynes manuals to be a bit like that although I do like the pictures, especially ones that have spanners in the shot.

That said I'm more a reader of Schopenhauer, I say reader, It took me nearly two years to read his big thick book that contains very small point text, only a few diagrams, worse still, no pictures. I've even got a special hat to make me look even more intelligent than usual for when I review such texts !

DSCF0657.JPG.e03a7eadbd5a56b605f8e5ee550faaf9.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I've found Haynes manuals to be a bit like that although I do like the pictures, especially ones that have spanners in the shot.

That said I'm more a reader of Schopenhauer, I say reader, It took me nearly two years to read his big thick book that contains very small point text, only a few diagrams, worse still, no pictures. I've even got a special hat to make me look even more intelligent than usual for when I review such texts !

DSCF0657.JPG.e03a7eadbd5a56b605f8e5ee550faaf9.JPG

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Personally I find the Beano more enlightening. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I even doodled a map.

Hi Fritters,

Could that be a consequence of misrepresentation of the objective observation or, just an allusion of the subjective due to the [side] effects of Nursey's medications detaching ones faculties from the conscious knowing ? 

Either way, in Bandit country, hardly ideal even if transcendental !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Gibbo

The one I read had a wonderful story line. It was about a handsome prince who was very rich nut very lonely. One day he heard of a beautiful princess in a far off land so he set off to woo her. He took with him all kinds of expensive gifts and jewellery which impressed her . He swept  her off her feet, took her dancing and to the best restaurants in the land .She became , besotted with him but when he asked her father for her hand in marriage, sadly her father refused. So the handsome prince returned home, bought a Harley Davidson and a Ferrari ,  had his mates round for a party every weekend with plenty of loose women,  built an O gauge model of Peterborough North, qualified as a driver on the NYMR and lived happily ever after.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

4 minutes ago, jazzer said:

The one I read had a wonderful story line. It was about a handsome prince who was very rich nut very lonely. One day he heard of a beautiful princess in a far off land so he set off to woo her. He took with him all kinds of expensive gifts and jewellery which impressed her . He swept  her off her feet, took her dancing and to the best restaurants in the land .She became , besotted with him but when he asked her father for her hand in marriage, sadly her father refused. So the handsome prince returned home, bought a Harley Davidson and a Ferrari ,  had his mates round for a party every weekend with plenty of loose women,  built an O gauge model of Peterborough North, qualified as a driver on the NYMR and lived happily ever after.

Hi Jazzer,

If you cut a John Deere in half longitudinally very, very carefully, do you end up with two Harley Davidson's ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

If you cut a John Deere in half longitudinally very, very carefully, do you end up with two Harley Davidson's ?

Gibbo.

Drive one of these around here and all the women are after you.

image.png.050569f89fad5f99a76577b6554c6500.png

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

9 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

Gibbo.

I don’t know, but I heard a story about a bloke that tried it but he still hasn’t got round to painting the two halves so all he has now is a Harley Deere and a John Davidson. I am trying to think who it reminds me of ,:huh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6