Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

I get tolerated as I provide a free maintenance service for tennis and cycling equipment, along with property repairs and fixing White Goods. A few days ago I repaired a leaking kitchen blender and last night I dismantled a jammed five lever mortice lock from the door between the garage and house, cleaned out, repaired and refixed it. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Recently I won more than expected on a Vectis Auction. In the collection were 4 Tri-ang CKs, 2 BSKs, 2 Sleepers, 1 (too long) BG, 1 buffet car.  What to do with them?

The two sleepers were dealt with first with some bits from the buffet and left overs from another buffet.  A kitchen car to diagram 702. Diagram 701 had the same body, they differed in the cooking fuel, 701 used anthracite and the 702 used propane gas. 

1358768245_RK702corridor.jpg.3894fe0867323b15246c7b409d354260.jpg

Corridor side.

1400589950_RK702kitchen.jpg.b8c6f207ba263b539409748e7fb70055.jpg

Kitchen side. The half height windows still need their sliding vents added.

You cannot have a Kitchen car without somewhere for the dinners to park their bottoms.

For the posh end I made a RFO from bits of the four CKs.

RFO.jpg.11f4e2a84498e6a43aa49513c28f7145.jpg

I know Bachmann do a model of this type of coach but who cares I like modelling.

The underclass are not left out. I have made a RUO from the passenger ends of the two BSKs and the toilets from the Buffet. It will be rebogied with Commonwealth bogies.

RUO.jpg.6e31981a034b9183001c793289c1d952.jpg

Again a Bachy, Replica, Lima, Hatchett or Hornby SK or TSO body could be used.

After having their lunch the snobs will need comfy chairs to snooze in so at their end of the train are a FK and a BFK. The FK uses up the remaining first class windows from the CKs. Again there is a RTR model of this.  The BFK used up what was left from all the conversions. The brake van mainly coming from the too long BG.

FK.jpg.652f39cdbe2d7513290637f938eabaa3.jpg

BFK.jpg.4d8c8aa903ba6c2ed79680240d753298.jpg

So far there isn't a RTR BFK.

For the normal people like me and you who have to slum it I knocked up a TSO from the second class windows from the CKs and what I could find in the spares pile. The buffet car supplied the windows for a BSO, again the brake used up bits of the over long BG. Both can be bought at your local model shop.

TSO.jpg.729f8685209ffe4270c385eab5332ad8.jpg

BSO.jpg.ed9b6082efd76eb48820fdb2257d5cb3.jpg

The BSO is one of the small batch that had rubber grommets to hold the glass in the brake van windows. I have added small fillets and filed them to try and represent the rounded corners on the window cross bar. 

These will form the prestige express from Sheffield Exchange, "The Yorkshire Scot". Calling at Leeds Central, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are wondering what happened to the other two sides of the sleepers, they have been transformed into a diagram 700 kitchen car (Number S80009) which hopefully will be seen zooming behind a Spamcan on Mr Duck's Seaton Junction.

1004723374_RK700corr.jpg.b459ee51bdca0dadc5a3ea9f61ab5d39.jpg

Corridor side

314281074_Rk700kitchen.jpg.34b5f7ad422dddf6fe1b4a89722e74f5.jpg

Kitchen side.

Mr Duck has kindly donated this cute little loco, a class 5 2-4-2T

N-gin.jpg.3e84b7add694531eb84a79adf3ec9995.jpg

It will look good as the station pilot or on local trains.

a002.jpg.5099f6dd64dea580a2834ce8bd668bc9.jpg

Another cute thing.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

32 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Clive

What do you use for filler?

Thanks.

Probably the Orsh Sh**, it sticks to everything I believe. 

BTW Clive how many Orses, Dogs and waifs and strays has the good lady collected now? :D

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 5

I need to contact the factory in china that made the hatchette mk1 coaches, as i think one of the people assembling them is a glue sniffer, judging by how much glue was used on the coach i just disassembled. I almost broke the side removing the glazing lol. 

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ray H said:

Clive

What do you use for filler?

Thanks.

Hi Ray

When I get around to using it Milliput, Squadron green putty, and Gamesworkshop paint on filler. Depends on what needs filling, and what I find first in the cupboard. The paint on stuff for small cracks etc.

It is worth experimenting, I think everyone finds what works for them. With all modelling there should be no hard and fast rules. Sam's Trains recent 3D loco proves it, how many of us would have gone for brass frames because that is the way to do it ? Sam looked at a modern RTR chassis and copied that, result one working loco.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2021 at 11:54, cheesysmith said:

obviously death comes from yorkshire, we end up with the jobs no one else will do.

Quick plea to all the fellow cut and shutters out there, does anybody have the sides for the tiang/Hornby BG or know where a set are available? (not at the stupid evilbay costs now being asked). They may be too long for the BG, but are perfect to cut and shut into 105 DMU brake compartments.

Hi Chessy

Send me a PM with your address and a set will be on their way to you.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

If you are wondering what happened to the other two sides of the sleepers, they have been transformed into a diagram 700 kitchen car (Number S80009) which hopefully will be seen zooming behind a Spamcan on Mr Duck's Seaton Junction.

1700862474_RK700corr.jpg.eed51ed9786f8ce69e31beadce035327.jpg

Corridor side

254400900_Rk700kitchen.jpg.b0b075b531917bd716db0fb970641836.jpg

Kitchen side.

Mr Duck has kindly donated this cute little loco, a class 5 2-4-2T

N-gin.jpg.9d93953f5c41ee763a37bc5fa261d061.jpg

It will look good as the station pilot or on local trains.

Another cute thing.

There is a back story to this engin'. I won it at Auction at 50% the asking fees online and then posted on RMW asking if anyone lived near the Auction House over in Staffs and might possibly collect it for me for a 'reward', saving a real faff and over £30 for a Courier to wrap an post it FFS?

I got a huge bollocking for posting that request in two places because some hugh ar$£ reported me to Sir. I was bloody furious for about an hour. However it is cute and I knew Clive would enjoy it. When it arrived at my place I found it was DCC fitted, so bo##ocks to the moaners and tellers off as I got a nice, free Decoder and that made up for the cost of the poxy postage and packing; ya boo sucks.

Looks good Clive, enjoy.

Duck Bot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 06/10/2021 at 23:57, Clive Mortimore said:

Drive one of these around here and all the women are after you.

image.png.050569f89fad5f99a76577b6554c6500.png

My neighbour tells me that you are allowed to drive such things as long as you are 16 or over, without a licence of any kind at all  - presumably not on public roads though.

Another friend who is a Lincolnshire lad growing up in the countryside near Bourne told me a little ditty;

"Lincolnshire borne,

and Lincolnshire bred,

strong in the arm,

and weak in the head"

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

My neighbour tells me that you are allowed to drive such things as long as you are 16 or over, without a licence of any kind at all  - presumably not on public roads though.

Another friend who is a Lincolnshire lad growing up in the countryside near Bourne told me a little ditty;

"Lincolnshire borne,

and Lincolnshire bred,

strong in the arm,

and weak in the head"

John.

In the next village to where I grew up in the 80s, one of the farmer's sons was seen driving a combine harvester (unaccompanied) on the road at aged ELEVEN.  That farmer used to leave the roads in a terrible state but despite complaints, nothing ever changed.  It was rumoured he and the local Chief Inspector attended the same church.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

In the next village to where I grew up in the 80s, one of the farmer's sons was seen driving a combine harvester (unaccompanied) on the road at aged ELEVEN.  That farmer used to leave the roads in a terrible state but despite complaints, nothing ever changed.  It was rumoured he and the local Chief Inspector attended the same church.

The big tractors and combines around here don't need a driver, just tell its computer where you are and off it goes ploughing or harvesting on its own. If the law would allow it they would travel from field to field on the roads driverless guided by GPS.

All the farmers kids around here can drive by 16 years old.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

The law was changed in the early 1960s to - if I remember rightly - the requirement to be 14 years old to drive agricultural machinery anywhere including on private land.  Just after that ruling came in I was drivinga combine cutting a field - aged almost 13 because i was too small to handle the grain sacks so my uncle did that while I drove.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The law was changed in the early 1960s to - if I remember rightly - the requirement to be 14 years old to drive agricultural machinery anywhere including on private land.  Just after that ruling came in I was drivinga combine cutting a field - aged almost 13 because i was too small to handle the grain sacks so my uncle did that while I drove.

and I believe 3rd RTR are know as the 'Armoured Farmers'?

• Funny 2

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Recently I won more than expected on a Vectis Auction. In the collection were 4 Tri-ang CKs, 2 BSKs, 2 Sleepers, 1 (too long) BG, 1 buffet car.  What to do with them?

The two sleepers were dealt with first with some bits from the buffet and left overs from another buffet.  A kitchen car to diagram 702. Diagram 701 had the same body, they differed in the cooking fuel, 701 used anthracite and the 702 used propane gas. 

1886281057_RK702corridor.jpg.510c4619b373c4f091210c03ed717627.jpg

Corridor side.

1951808827_RK702kitchen.jpg.fc2396513994c282935c81de8963352f.jpg

Kitchen side. The half height windows still need their sliding vents added.

You cannot have a Kitchen car without somewhere for the dinners to park their bottoms.

For the posh end I made a RFO from bits of the four CKs.

RFO.jpg.ab2a095b6ef10d51c4b2f44034fe0daf.jpg

I know Bachmann do a model of this type of coach but who cares I like modelling.

The underclass are not left out. I have made a RUO from the passenger ends of the two BSKs and the toilets from the Buffet. It will be rebogied with Commonwealth bogies.

RUO.jpg.7a2d1e59947177426332f2d56d674e06.jpg

Again a Bachy, Replica, Lima, Hatchett or Hornby SK or TSO body could be used.

After having their lunch the snobs will need comfy chairs to snooze in so at their end of the train are a FK and a BFK. The FK uses up the remaining first class windows from the CKs. Again there is a RTR model of this.  The BFK used up what was left from all the conversions. The brake van mainly coming from the too long BG.

FK.jpg.7cbf6c0019a39e94df0dbff893c186cd.jpg

BFK.jpg.388be806d8865243c48a5089c104ae70.jpg

So far there isn't a RTR BFK.

For the normal people like me and you who have to slum it I knocked up a TSO from the second class windows from the CKs and what I could find in the spares pile. The buffet car supplied the windows for a BSO, again the brake used up bits of the over long BG. Both can be bought at your local model shop.

TSO.jpg.ce56ad70a608a5a04a0d2e5a4f6c0bab.jpg

BSO.jpg.090cdaf189268f8db00d819e2c00d5d9.jpg

The BSO is one of the small batch that had rubber grommets to hold the glass in the brake van windows. I have added small fillets and filed them to try and represent the rounded corners on the window cross bar. 

These will form the prestige express from Sheffield Exchange, "The Yorkshire Scot". Calling at Leeds Central, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

How on earth did they cook with anthracite in 701, Clive? Was it in some kind of oven or under a hotplate of some sorts ? l can’t imagine Elf n Saftee putting up with that these days.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jazzer said:

How on earth did they cook with anthracite in 701, Clive? Was it in some kind of oven or under a hotplate of some sorts ? l can’t imagine Elf n Saftee putting up with that these days.

Anthracite fuelled ranges  - I believe the LNER definitely had some too in kitchen cars.   Basically no different from cooking on a range at home but no doubt a larger range with more than one oven and hotplates.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1