Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

For some reason, Long John Baldy came to mind...

Remarkably, we ALL still have hair,:scratchhead: Ken the Singer has the most, and I have the least, so the Rain protector is still present and correct.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What the real "Modern Image " looked like

Yo ! Morty,

Thanks for posting that it made me think of happy days on Hartford Station as a young lad,  just when they 'lectrics were coming in and the Class 37's etc. mixed with the last of the steam. Happy dayz ! 

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What the real "Modern Image " looked like

Nice find, Clive, that is a real gem from that period for a number of reasons:

1. Most people didn't film the new diesels and electrics (and EMUs even less), enthusiasts focussed on the remaining steam;
  2. It captures all the services, not just the glamorous expresses;
  3. It wasn't generally filmed from the end of the platform, concentrating just on the loco, but halfway along it.

The last is particularly important; I reckon 90% of published railway images will tell you nothing about the railway except what the loco looks like.  The photographer here films the whole train so you can see what makes up the formation but you can also see station architecture, what is on trolleys, where barrow crossings go, what people are dressed in......

Noticeable though how many WCML express services at that time (1964-5?) hadn't yet gone over to electric traction.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Sainty

Looks like, but sorry it isn't. Mk2s had coupling and gangway incompatibilities with LMS stock. 

Is it one of the Royal Scot/Coronation  Scot coaches?  But it seems to be running on B4 bogies... It's not XP64 stock...

is it 13252?

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Is it one of the Royal Scot/Coronation  Scot coaches?  But it seems to be running on B4 bogies... It's not XP64 stock...

is it 13252?

Yes one of the five single 1939 type Coronation Scot coaches but was a post war build.

Sorry it is not 13252, but I agree about the bogies looking like B4.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yes one of the five single 1939 type Coronation Scot coaches but was a post war build.

Sorry it is not 13252, but I agree about the bogies looking like B4.

Hmm, I can't find a photo showing one of these without the exposed underframe... there is an articulated twin that appeared on RMWeb previously that is a dead ringer though.  

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Remarkably, we ALL still have hair,:scratchhead: Ken the Singer has the most, and I have the least, so the Rain protector is still present and correct.

An appropriate time perhaps to link this video of the wonderful Tommy Emmanuel I came across the other day

Tommy Emmanuel - Blue Moon - Bing video

• Like 1

Tommy Emmanuel - Blue Moon - YouTube

3 minutes ago, jazzer said:

An appropriate time perhaps to link this video of the wonderful Tommy Emmanuel I came across the other day

Tommy Emmanuel - Blue Moon - Bing video

Sorry the video doesnt seem to be embedding . Worth googling if you are interested . he plays all four parts, drums bass, rhythm and lead on one guitar amazing

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Did I spot one of the 1957 prototypes two trains earlier, or was I seeing things again?

Hi Sanity

Were they the Coronation Scot artic pair that appear earlier in the video. The ones that Doc has identified.

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Hmm, I can't find a photo showing one of these without the exposed underframe... there is an articulated twin that appeared on RMWeb previously that is a dead ringer though.  

Hi Doc

You are so hot I will say you are the winner. It is one of the two RTOs built for the second and third Coronation Scot sets, but never ran in them. They were used in general service as TO (later SO) coaches. It has eight full windows and no porthole type loo windows as it didn't have a bog.

At 1.49 on wards the video shows an artic pair, one of the TK+BTK twins. The brake end never had a gangway so made rostering them a tad difficult. Not that mattered much in the train in the video as it appears to be a mix of gangway and non gangway stock. I believe the mixing of types was common in the final years of loco hauled outer suburban trains from and to Euston.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Hi, what are you running it on?  I downloaded the Android app but it refuses to load up on my 6th month old droid.

I run it on Windows (desktop and laptop) and Android (tablet and phone).

Both my Android devices are around 3-4 years old hardware wise. The tablet runs Android 8.1, but the phone is running a Lineage build of Android 11.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jazzer said:

Tommy Emmanuel - Blue Moon - YouTube

Sorry the video doesnt seem to be embedding . Worth googling if you are interested . he plays all four parts, drums bass, rhythm and lead on one guitar amazing

I'll go check it out, Cheers.

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Map

I find them distracting and unnecessary. At least with an advert you can shout at it, "If I want to buy you I would have looked you up".

Having said that I do like the turtle one, I find it relaxing.

One appears baking croissants... that one makes me hungry.

• Funny 2

On 13/10/2021 at 18:38, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

We live in an upside down, inside out and backward world where to access the content that we have all created has to be paid for so as to gain access. Don't worry, I guarantee it will all get so much more weirdly worse before it gets anything like better.

I have pulled three cards to divine the future of not just but mainly RMweb, and also social media as it stands.

Two cards jumped out in reverse they were the Eight of Pentacles and the Queen of Cups, followed by the Knight of Swords that was pulled upright.

DSCF1568.JPG.59d84cc290989aa9201f8006fda727cb.JPG

1. Eight of Pentacles, Reversed, A concentration of immediate returns at the expense of long turn success. The misuse of skill, dishonestly in business affairs. Diversion of business opportunities to improper ends.
  2. Queen of Cups, Reversed, She is grasping, miserly, or else a spendthrift. She pours her wealth into new forms of display, extravagant luxury, overwhelming opulence. She is narrow in her outlook and suspicious of what she does not understand. She uses her power to surround herself with sycophants and shuts out criticism or reproach. Her life is circumscribed by her material possessions and she is unable to rise above them.
  3. Knight of Swords, Upright, He is courageous, strong, highly skilled and at his best in a difficult situation. He indicates the approach of battles that must be fought and enemies who must be defeated by strength of arms. he is the archetypal warrior.

I could explain why this is the case in much greater detail, and will do so if requested, however most on here would think me even more completely crackers than they already do, not that I care of course !

Gibbo.

I don't see that this has anything to do with RM web, generally a happy lot unless you don't like HS2 or have didactic views about certain matters (in which case don't go there), however.....

it does seem to have hit several nails squarely on the head about the society we live in. As this isn't a political forum, but nonetheless includes many highly intelligent and thoughtful people, I'm sure they're all quite capable of seeing the parallels for themselves. I'll just say that it's a pity we don't have any obvious candidates for the Knight of Swords.

John.

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Please can we not labour Gibbo's post. His account has been closed, I don't know if by him or the moderating team. I for one will miss his contribution to this thread. Now let us move on.

Hi Clive,

My apologies, I didn't realise that Gibbo was no longer with us. I echo your sentiments, and as you say, we now move on.

John.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

His account has been closed, I don't know if by him or the moderating team. I for one will miss his contribution to this thread.

Hi Clive,

Sad news, I wasn't aware of this. A very talented modeller whose posts will indeed be missed.

• Agree 3

On 14/10/2021 at 11:33, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

That is the brakend twin of the final Coronation Scot set.
The set had been mothballed over WW2, before being cascaded back into service. T5his twin has no corridor connection at the brake end, yes it did have a domed roof.
This twin can be seen in a number of Preston shots of this time period. It was a fixture of one particular set that was a regular on services through Preston.
Chris.

• Like 2