Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Who would have liked this train set when young?

Or now they are older?

Me Sir! Me Sir!

Trix 81s, a Hornby Dublo rolling stock, loco shed and a Peco signal box all visible.

I was disappointed that they planned Anglo-French rolling stock, I would have liked to go through to Paris behind an early AC and in Mark 1 coaches.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Or now they are older?

I remember that layout, from a Daily Mail Schoolboys' and Girls' Exhibition or similar at Olympia, I think.

Gamages had a similar but different layout one Christmas, where the trains ran through clear plastic tube in a trough of real water to represent the Channel itself.

Happy days.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Me Sir! Me Sir!

Trix 81s, a Hornby Dublo rolling stock, loco shed and a Peco signal box all visible.

I was disappointed that they planned Anglo-French rolling stock, I would have liked to go through to Paris behind an early AC and in Mark 1 coaches.

I'd go with that analysis. I didn't realise the Peco signal box (of Potters Bar?) was that old, I'm in process of painting one at the moment!

Track could be Trix two rail, the final pattern, and I assume the French electric loco was a Hornby Acho model. The overhead is a mystery, neither the Trix or Triang versions, so either hand made or some overseas import. I did wonder if the vehicles in slots had been adapted somehow from Minic Motorways, but the road base isn't quite right.

All in all a great train set, and not a kettle to be seen!

John

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Or now they are older?

I had a Hornby Dublo AL!. That was a cursed loco. Lost most of the side-frames. Who ever thought push fit was a good idea, was a prat!
I still have the beast, in it's box.
What I really lusted after, was the Trix AL1. It was the Dogs!
I have one now and I still think it stands up today!
Chris.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

I had a Hornby Dublo AL!. That was a cursed loco. Lost most of the side-frames. Who ever thought push fit was a good idea, was a prat!
I still have the beast, in it's box.
What I really lusted after, was the Trix AL1. It was the Dogs!
I have one now and I still think it stands up today!
Chris.

The market would certainly agree with you about the Trix AL1, prices on ebay are eye watering.

Shame about push fit, seems to have gone from strength to strength, as per Heljan and I think Hornby!!

John.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Tomlinson said:

The market would certainly agree with you about the Trix AL1, prices on ebay are eye watering.

Shame about push fit, seems to have gone from strength to strength, as per Heljan and I think Hornby!!

John.

Agreed, I battled push fit on a Hornby 60. Not amused.
Chris.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2021 at 19:46, Clive Mortimore said:

Or now they are older?

Great film! Also reminds me of the cover on the old Playcraft catalogue, if you remember that. I like the train of Roadrailers too! I have a set of these on my train set, but sadly not the motorised lorry.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You were supposed to be listening to her playing the guitar not concentrating on her jubblies.

That’s a bit harsh  Clive. I am sure he was referring to Sir William Stanier’s lovely 6P5F 4-6-0’s, although the video may have inspired those of lower moral standing to think of  Fowler’s Patriot 45519 “Lady Godiva “

:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jazzer said:

That’s a bit harsh  Clive. I am sure he was referring to Sir William Stanier’s lovely 6P5F 4-6-0’s, although the video may have inspired those of lower moral standing to think of  Fowler’s Patriot 45519 “Lady Godiva “

:rolleyes:

There is nothing Sir William about her jubblies.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I haven't been modelling lately but I have been doing some sketches of the compartment side of some coaches from LNER diagrams.

Diagram 116 locker CK

1335719498_stage11.png.eaa866714d90990c360dbd61b6c7326c.png

diagram 149 BFK

972539871_Dia149.png.32f0c08669aee9749d4acb07f9d75dae.png

Diagram 275 Restaurant Buffet, as built. Thanks to Mike Trice for his assistance with this.

63939518_dia275asbuilt.png.ea3c1369f66e0d62446f8b28d56c261c.png

diagram 127 BCK, 2F/2S

64044529_dia127.png.a754fab21b04fd344c14206c6a06fe42.png

Diagram 316 BCK 3F/3S, notice the guards ducket is on the compartment side, most other LNER gangwayed brakes had the ducket of the corridor side.

686385904_dia316.png.45b6b12707f79dac60a4c4ce7786dae4.png

I have also altered a Nick Campling drawing of a dia 167 Buffet to its later rebuilt stage. If it breaches copyright rules I will remove it.

1555280016_dia167part.png.bd379049487e32bef7a61a5b3e99bf98.png

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

2 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

She was playing the guitar? 

I must have missed that, I'll go back and watch again.

When I die, I want to come back as a Guitar, BUT, knowing my luck though, Liam Gallagher would buy me, or worse still Pete Townsend and I'd get smashed into a live Amp.:o

• Funny 6