Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ran some trains today including a LMS 4P 3cylinder 2-6-4T with my Tilbury line coaches behind it. Off to to Southend for the day, got me kiss me quick hat, a paddle in the mud, pie and mash for lunch, a play on the dodgems in the Kursal, and ice cream before going home. Mustn't forget a stick of rock for my little brother and some cockles for Grandad.

I also drew this, a BR (Eastleigh) conversion of a diagram 95 third sleepers to cafeteria cars.

689981992_LNERcar2.png.07e4bfe0165b923e9279d8637e76512b.png

Didn't you go down the pier and back on the train? I hope you had liquor with the pie.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Too much fun in Kursal to have a ride on the pier train. 

It would be criminal not to have liquor.

Sounds like a great day out . One of the great experiences of life is hammering through West Horndon behind a class 4 tank at 80mph with 11 on. The first loco I ever “cabbed”, aged about 5  was a Stanier tank at Southend Central. Looking forward to seeing how they do at Sheffield Exch.

Shame you never went on the pier train though. One of the few electric trains that had any character ( even I liked them )!

I hope you went in to see Tiger Smith on the Wall of Death in the Kursaal, or did you spend all or money on the Knock The Lady Out Bed ?:boast:

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Sounds like a great day out . One of the great experiences of life is hammering through West Horndon behind a class 4 tank at 80mph with 11 on. The first loco I ever “cabbed”, aged about 5  was a Stanier tank at Southend Central. Looking forward to seeing how they do at Sheffield Exch.

Shame you never went on the pier train though. One of the few electric trains that had any character ( even I liked them )!

I hope you went in to see Tiger Smith on the Wall of Death in the Kursaal, or did you spend all or money on the Knock The Lady Out Bed ?:boast:

Just for Jazzer

• Like 6

Hello Clive

I note you've drawn all six doors the same.  It's apparent that the four original LNER doors (though reclad and repositioned) were used at the ends but the middle two doors were different and didn't match - on the face of it looks more SR (perhaps not surprisingly) and did not have a ventilator above the droplight.

Love your 'cut and shuts' by the way and awestruck by your productivity!

Chris KT

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Clive, I'm surprised you haven't posted a Kursal Flyers tune.:lol:
That cafeteria car looks interesting. Were the coach sides metal or the origional sides modified?
All The Best,
Chris.

Hi Chris

Please sing the answer to the tune of "Little Does She Know"

Little do you know that I know that you don't know the sides were steel sheeted. :imsohappy:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

New Wet Leg song

Bizarre, very bizarre ... but very entertaining too.

They got a good write up on the BBC news website a week or so ago.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wagonmaster said:

Just briefly going back to DMU's, this is the latest out of the works. But is it something that would ever been seen at Sheffield Exchange? Lol!

Class-120-DMBC.gif

Hi WM

I have the bits to make a couple and a Gloucester Cross Country to go with my other WR units. I know they are not natural for where my layout is based but I do like WR units. 

Edit cos I forgot to say " It do look nice". :good:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi WM

I have the bits to make a couple and a Gloucester Cross Country to go with my other WR units. I know they are not natural for where my layout is based but I do like WR units. 

Edit cos I forgot to say " It do look nice". :good:

Thanks Clive, having a Western/North Western ac lines based layout they are ideal. There is a Swindon Inter City unit lurking on the workbench too!

I hope to get around to the Gloucester Class 119's in due course, hopefully with a Hawksworth trailer. Seems a pity to repaint the Hornby model!

One query regarding Class 116's if I may. I've read a bit about the front window being wrong on the Lima 117. Could you remind me what exactly is wrong with it please. I have a couple of Lima 117's to convert, one to a 116 as there were loads allocated to my local shed Tyseley.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

Thanks Clive, having a Western/North Western ac lines based layout they are ideal. There is a Swindon Inter City unit lurking on the workbench too!

I hope to get around to the Gloucester Class 119's in due course, hopefully with a Hawksworth trailer. Seems a pity to repaint the Hornby model!

One query regarding Class 116's if I may. I've read a bit about the front window being wrong on the Lima 117. Could you remind me what exactly is wrong with it please. I have a couple of Lima 117's to convert, one to a 116 as there were loads allocated to my local shed Tyseley.

Hi WM

I know Jim Smith-Wright has posted stuff saying the Lima front isn't right. Apart from the headcode box being too small for a 117 or 118 I think it is OK. I could well be wrong on that front ( I am normally). 

• Like 1

120s would have got to sheffield in later life as they were based at DY in the 80s before the sprinter invasion. Although by this time they were mainly paired with 101 or 108 trailers to improve the power to weight ratio. There was one centre car fitted with B4 bogies, and there is a photo of a driving motor car in vic berrys with B4, but no one knows if it was fitted with them in service (reuse of bogies off the 123?).

Never get enough of units, every layout need more.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi WM

I know Jim Smith-Wright has posted stuff saying the Lima front isn't right. Apart from the headcode box being too small for a 117 or 118 I think it is OK. I could well be wrong on that front ( I am normally). 

Thanks for that Clive. I know the front isn't right, but  I have a cunning plan! I have a body off a Class 121 and I figured I could transplant the cabs. Would that work do you think? Similarly I have some DC Kits Derby type ends that could be grafted on to the Lima body to make a 116. Apart from changing one of the DMBS's to a DMS, I didn't want to do too much to the body sides if I could help it. Certainly a cheaper option than Bachmann's 117!

The Class 118's are similar to 117's, the biggest obvious difference is the profile of the top of the headcode box. The 118's have a more pronounced curve. Having said that, I think the first few 117's had a curvy headcode box too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

If you are going to put the 121 cab onto the 117 body, chop it at the first passenger door. It will save having to correct the first passenger window. 

Thanks for that Cheesy. You mention the front passenger window. I asked Clive about this too, what exactly is wrong with it? What needs correcting? I seem to recall reading something about it but can't remember where I read it. Is this also needed for a 116?

Just compare the first window to the others. Lima made it too big and the blank body side behind the cab door too small. They corrected this when the tooling was altered for the bubble car. Also, the centre car is off in the window sizes and where the doors are. It looks right, but when you run a rule over it or start chopping it into something else you find this out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2