Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

The Hornby shorties for some reason have the right sized compartments for most LNER stock. The windows on the corridor side are too short in most cases, there is one on the BCK that is right length. The toilet window is about 1/2mm too narrow but I am lazy and I don't worry about that. The corridor windows are not a total loss as they are correct for the compartment side of the end door stock, open coaches and most catering cars. Otherwise with the corridor side it is file the windows to the correct length or do lots of cutting and shuffling to get the correct lengths, see the GE section SK.

I do find that each coach is made from one and bit coaches. The 3 compartment BSK took 2 Hornby BCKs for the very long brake end but yielded a pile of spares of compartments and corridor windows. I have 50+ compartments spare, so after building all the coaches for these trains which will provide more compartments I will access what Non-gangway coaches I can make. 

Edit forgot to add, I will do a step by step photo series for you and anyone else interested in what I do.

Thanks for the very full answer Clive.

I would be interested in a step by step as you suggest, and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.

Best wishes to you and everyone else on here for the festive (?) season!

John.

• Like 2

I have to admit, I do love seeing how a cut`n`shut is done, even if the era or location is not what I model.

They are also addictive, so I have been looking at a totally out of era or location one myself over this festive season. 

By all means show us how you done these. Every day is a learning experience. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jimwal said:

Clive, by his own admission is a 'fat bald bloke' so he must have broke his legs!

Generously proportioned, may be, well rounded, somewhat - he is very hard on himself. As to the bald bit, I think all his hair growing energy goes into his beard, when he decides to have one.

• Like 3

I do not use the word fat to describe myself, i use either "standard bus driver shaped" or " harder to kidnap".

As for hair, being the eldest of three brothers, I am the only one with a full head of hair left at 49. Being the eldest, I DON`T take every chance to remind them of it, no sir.

As for presents, except the railway stuff I bought that got confiscated and wrapped, I did get a miniature fire extinguisher that is a ANTI FART SPRAY. What is my eldest daughter trying to say?

Railway items were the woodhead lament book, the class 15&16 book, and two more BOC tankers. Also got the big 2-8-0 tank with the copper tops from Hornby. Bit of a stretch for yorkshire, but I do like a big tank engine. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I do not use the word fat to describe myself, i use either "standard bus driver shaped" or " harder to kidnap".

As for hair, being the eldest of three brothers, I am the only one with a full head of hair left at 49. Being the eldest, I DON`T take every chance to remind them of it, no sir.

As for presents, except the railway stuff I bought that got confiscated and wrapped, I did get a miniature fire extinguisher that is a ANTI FART SPRAY. What is my eldest daughter trying to say?

Railway items were the woodhead lament book, the class 15&16 book, and two more BOC tankers. Also got the big 2-8-0 tank with the copper tops from Hornby. Bit of a stretch for yorkshire, but I do like a big tank engine. 

Given the first item on your present list, you might be interested in the latest posting on my Flickr site, referenced below.

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2021 at 00:05, Clive Mortimore said:

I also drew this, a BR (Eastleigh) conversion of a diagram 95 third sleepers to cafeteria cars.

689981992_LNERcar2.png.07e4bfe0165b923e9279d8637e76512b.png

Look forward to seeing your take on this one. I'm cheating as I just bought some Bill Bedford etches and picked up a Hornby sleeper with turnbuckle underframe recently. I think it will get moved up my to do list as I have also got a copy of the Trains Illustrated article about their conversion on its way to me. Also found that Phil Drake did one and posted pics a few years ago.

Eric

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2021 at 10:30, Wagonmaster said:

But is it something that would ever been seen at Sheffield Exchange

I remember travelling on a Tyseley 116 from New Street to York. An Etches Park 120 was added to the front at Derby, so it did make it through Sheffield Midland at least.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Some recent conversions.

Both LNER dia 275 Restaurant Buffet Cars, kitchen side only as the corridor side was the same on both.

a026.jpg.55a295ce50a17fe42a10d02c8ab5e5e1.jpg

E9195E after being converted to a Buffet similar to the standard dia 167 Buffets.

a027.jpg.2b5913ec7c89c4c8b9ec60f39332a4e4.jpg

E9196E as built, it was not converted and was withdrawn earlier.

This evening I started to mess about with scanned in diagram of a LMS all steel period II D 1730 BSK to draw the corridor side. This is as far as I got with the model at 10.00pm. A Hornby newish FK was used as the donor coach.

a002.jpg.e7761eebe791881036f034bf6f017dcb.jpg

Compartment side

a001.jpg.59d59c5251ace1ffec4fd6db560d2085.jpg

When cutting out the top half of the coach side the lower half went bang you can see where I patched it up.

Still loads to do but at least it is started.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 27/12/2021 at 22:59, TheSignalEngineer said:

I remember travelling on a Tyseley 116 from New Street to York. An Etches Park 120 was added to the front at Derby, so it did make it through Sheffield Midland at least.

I was probably a bit unclear in my comment about 120's at Sheffield Exchange. What I meant to say is would my green WR 'as built' version have been likely at Sheffield Exchange in Clive's modelling period?

I know they visited Sheffield Midland in Etches Park blue/grey days as I have photos of them there. I also remember catching a special from Sheffield to Birmingham New Street that was run to replace a failed train consisting of a Class 124 Transpennine unit coupled to a Met-Cam 101 in blue/grey days! We stopped at Wichnor Junction to check the trailing 101 as we were going too fast for it and it was overheating. I think the driver forgot it was on the back!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I don't know how far north they got on the Midland line before 1969, but when the Cardiff service was transferred from Snow Hill to New Street c1963 some were extended at least as far as Derby. Normally operated by Swindon 4 car sets there is evidence of a Class 120 subbing on a Cardiff - Derby service. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1