Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wagonmaster said:

What I meant to say is would my green WR 'as built' version have been likely at Sheffield Exchange in Clive's modelling period?

Thinking about the early DMU days, I  wondered which route the Scottish 120s would have taken to get to Aberdeen when first built?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

There is a photo I`ve seen of a class 123 in green days coming through Dore on a cross country service, so anything is possible. 

Certainly a case of never say never. I think it was at New Street where there was a picture of a 123 and 120 leaving for Derby c1963

There were a lot of strange short notice workings at weekends as well as some booked ones. In 1964 there was an evening DMU from Cardiff to Derby. On Saturdays it appears that it worked a Nottingham to Cardiff train.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Swindon Town (or similar Western Region team) away match, footy special.

I get muddled with DMU class designations - if they were the front gangway one's that got transferred up to Hull in the 1970s, also a Hull City away match gives a good excuse.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, john new said:

I get muddled with DMU class designations - if they were the front gangway one's that got transferred up to Hull in the 1970s, also a Hull City away match gives a good excuse.

I don't need an excuse Its my train set and I want to have fun.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

YO ! Morty,

Thank you for an entertaining thread for another year matey, very much appreciated.

Happy do-dahs for next year, keep safe !

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I don't need an excuse Its my train set and I want to have fun.

Quite right too, my own view also, definitely rule 1 when I am on my own. Might be different if it ever gets finished enough for a mag shot but that is way off.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, john new said:

Those were the Class 123 Swindon Intercity dmu's. 

Rule 1 definitely on my layout. Purists would have a fit! Lol!

Happy New Year 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Here is a super rare photo from facebook. In fact, I think this is the only photo of one I`ve seen.

Credit to Mark Leving

309123.jpg.991d39564002f8070e341f2ad7f25529.jpg

Traveled on it a few times, stuck out like a sore thumb by its different layout.

It is the ex Swindon class 123 Buffet in a Class 309 (to lazy to double check the unit number) Clacton Buffet set. Seems to be in platform 13 , not in the usual platform 11 or 12 the Clacton/ Walton trains departed from.

Loverly photo Cheesy.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Here is a super rare photo from facebook. In fact, I think this is the only photo of one I`ve seen.

Credit to Mark Leving

One for those who say you can't see the welding ribs on Mk1 roofs as well!

Happy New year to Clive and everyone else who has made this thread such an enjoyable read over the year.

John.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Credit to Mark Leving

Great photo Cheesysmith. Interesting to see it is still on its B4 bogies and not been swapped out for Commonwealths like the rest of the Clacton units!

On 29/12/2021 at 23:31, Clive Mortimore said:

Some recent conversions.

Both LNER dia 275 Restaurant Buffet Cars, kitchen side only as the corridor side was the same on both.

a026.jpg.11d2198069f37977b8a4789731a6b9e5.jpg

E9195E after being converted to a Buffet similar to the standard dia 167 Buffets.

Hi Clive,

Was it some of these which survived to carry blue/grey livery (some/all later transferred to WR?) As I have in mind to do one at some point - I believe the most recent Hornby model in such guise has an incorrect window layout for same?

A Mk.1 ScR Griddle car is still on the same list too.

Best wishes all.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium
On 04/01/2022 at 12:42, Signaller69 said:

Hi Clive,

Was it some of these which survived to carry blue/grey livery (some/all later transferred to WR?) As I have in mind to do one at some point - I believe the most recent Hornby model in such guise has an incorrect window layout for same?

A Mk.1 ScR Griddle car is still on the same list too.

Best wishes all.

Martyn.

HI Martyn

E9195E lasted long enough to be repainted into Blue-grey livery. It was the only dia 275 converted. It stayed on the ER and there are several photos of it on the Harwich to Manchester train.

All the others that were repainted into blue-grey were the standard LNER buffets dia 167. The Hornby model is a dia 167 as built. Not all were rebuilt with propane cooking and some other bits in the kitchen. The most distinctive changes were fixed seats and shelves behind the serving counter. The result of the changes to the kitchen and the addition of the shelves meant several windows were sheeted over blanking about half the kitchen side of the coach. I am told that the Hornby model has the wrong profile and some other stuff about its beading, so instead of spending £45 on a coach to convert which will not look like my other cut and shuts I used a couple of £10 coaches and made me own.

Here it is with the rebuilt dia 275, the 167 is on the right. a002.jpg.f633b4f597942ddaa2ae02e44b821d16.jpg

Not much difference on kitchen side, the seating area is very slightly longer on the Dia 275.

a001.jpg.42b3024da96e5dbe1fc21bad47bcea3e.jpg

The window arrangement on the corridor side is again only slightly different, but as a nerddie puffer nutter it is important to me.

As I have already stated not all of the standard dia 167s were rebuilt, some were repainted in maroon before withdrawal......so maybe another project to start?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking at RMweb there seem to a lot of unhappy modellers out there

It is too expensive.

The detail is not good enough.

The detail is too flimsy and broke as I took out the box.

It is the wrong colour.

I fitted a whizo-zoomer decoder and it only goes backwards not the other way.

and so on.....

Well I have a solution for them, take up another hobby, like sitting in the local shopping mall perving the young ladies in their miniskirts and tight jeans.

I bags the seat outside Top Shop.......

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Looking at RMweb there seem to a lot of unhappy modellers out there

It is too expensive.

The detail is not good enough.

The detail is too flimsy and broke as I took out the box.

It is the wrong colour.

I fitted a whizo-zoomer decoder and it only goes backwards not the other way.

and so on.....

Well I have a solution for them, take up another hobby, like sitting in the local shopping mall perving the young ladies in their miniskirts and tight jeans.

I bags the seat outside Top Shop.......

I steer clear of those bits of RMWeb where people try to outscore each other on who can find the most things wrong with a new model, preferring to lurk in the threads where people discuss making stuff for model railways (or military history, cars/motorbikes/music or whatever).  My box opening generally consists of opening an old cardboard box in the loft, trying to find a coach that I put away with 20 others about ten years ago.  Perhaps I should record a video of this thrilling activity?

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1