Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Colour blind as well as Tone Deaf.:D

Hi Andrew,

To be fair to Clive the "liveries" of his cut and shut coaches are considerably easier on the eye than what is carried by some of the contemporary Train Operating Companies.

Gibbo.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, richard i said:

Coaches look good, he should just be encouraged to do pre grouping emus they did last a while. Also applies to pre grouping inspection saloons. 

Hi Richard

Something like the LB&SCR overhead units or the L&YR Southport stock?

Or NER Tyneside?

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Richard

Something like the LB&SCR overhead units or the L&YR Southport stock?

Or NER Tyneside?

Hi Clive,

There is also the Paxman engined contraption converted a Derby from a pair of LMS Period II open brake third coaches. There will be a photo of it somewhere on The Ministry of Trruth's search engine.

Gibbo.

22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Of con-course it happened.

100_5687a.jpg.34e12000083d9ef7b2bf06da5ebb6e66.jpg

Very nice. Added yourself a little board length with it too. Can I make a suggestion? Would it be possible to round off the really sharp corners? Less chance of one stabbing oneself in the belly as he walks past with a fresh brew...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

For you l&y units or lnwr stock . Perhaps also some 1500v overhead and running in trains from woodhead route. 

Now now, young sir,

Just for modelling sake I might consider an L&YR unit or a LNWR unit but as for 1500V DC? This layout presumes the MS&LR missed out the "S" hence the L&YR and GNR had to make their own way into Sheffield. :dontknow:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Very nice. Added yourself a little board length with it too. Can I make a suggestion? Would it be possible to round off the really sharp corners? Less chance of one stabbing oneself in the belly as he walks past with a fresh brew...

Hi Map

I have successfully negotiated the new corner without any injury and I hasten to  say without a drop of tea spilt.

I did have a problem the other week when traversing the end of station. I had parked a train on windie viaduct and me elbow walloped it sending the loco on to the window sill. :secret:

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

There is also the Paxman engined contraption converted a Derby from a pair of LMS Period II open brake third coaches. There will be a photo of it somewhere on The Ministry of Trruth's search engine.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Very true, I think I have only ever seen one model of it.

The same type of coach was converted to steam heating vans, at first used on the WCML when the stock was ETH fitted and later to heat trains in the various sidings all over the LMR. I remember the one that sat outside St Pancras for yonks. The blue turned from rail blue to a sky blue it became that faded.

• Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Map

I have successfully negotiated the new corner without any injury and I hasten to  say without a drop of tea spilt.

I did have a problem the other week when traversing the end of station. I had parked a train on windie viaduct and me elbow walloped it sending the loco on to the window sill. :secret:

Do you need a big sheet of foam padding?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Gibbo.

There is a picture taken by E R Morton on September 15th 1956 of it awaiting departure from Chinley's bay platform for its return run to the Derby Carriage & Wagon Works over the Peak Forest route.  It was on David Hey's sadly gone website, but thanks to Wayback Machine it is about half way down this page. https://web.archive.org/web/20180820020903/http://davidheyscollection.com/page52.htm 

According to the caption the coaches, numbered M9821 and M9828, were converted from former LMS Open Brake Thirds with motor bogies removed from withdrawn Euston-Watford electric units and a Ruston-Paxman type 6ZHHL of 450bhp in each coach.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Last night I plodded on with work on DMUs and built the chassis for the Edinburgh to Glasgow buffet car which is housing the power unit. Again I am borrowing a Hornby ringfield motor form a Baby Deltic.  The basis for the chassis is a Tri-ang Mk1 coach underframe. It wasn't until I had started to chop lumps out of it I noticed it was an underframe where a previous owner had glued the sides in place. When I took the sides off I damaged to solbar, hopefully my bodge to repair it will not show when the model is complete. I also removed the end detail off two other Tri-ang underframes ready to drill out the cab windows of the Driving Motor Second and the Intermediate Driving Motor Second Brake. Talking of which I cannot find a photo of either of them in green with a yellow panel. I am interested in knowing what colour the gangway endboard was painted. The Ayr sets seemed to have run with dirty black hauled coaches endboards in the period, were the E&G ones the same?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Talking of which I cannot find a photo of either of them in green with a yellow panel. I am interested in knowing what colour the gangway endboard was painted. The Ayr sets seemed to have run with dirty black hauled coaches endboards in the period, were the E&G ones the same?

I have found one on the Railcar Association website. Dirty black. 

• Like 1

Hi Clive, I was going to suggest the Railcar Association site.  Full of useful information.  In the book British Railway First Generation DMUs by Stuart Mackay on page 89 there's a colour photograph of the opposite end of what might be the same formation. 

Roja

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have found one on the Railcar Association website. Dirty black. 

Interesting - looks like the head code boxes are already blanked off (before this happened generally?) so it means there is no front end illumination whatsoever!  That does indeed look like a standard Mk1 loco hauled coach end board, but I'm sure I've seen pictures showing that kind of railcar running with gangway end boards that were painted green with the 'speed whiskers' painted on, or am I thinking of something else?

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 31A said:

Interesting - looks like the head code boxes are already blanked off (before this happened generally?) so it means there is no front end illumination whatsoever!  That does indeed look like a standard Mk1 loco hauled coach end board, but I'm sure I've seen pictures showing that kind of railcar running with gangway end boards that were painted green with the 'speed whiskers' painted on, or am I thinking of something else?

Hi Steve

You are thinking the right type of unit, when delivered they had green end boards with speed whiskers. I was trying to find out f=if they ever had the yellow appiled to the end boards but seems they never. As for the blanked off headcode boxes, they had slip in headcode plates which when new were A, B and C, later they had 1, 2  and 3, ie Express, Normal passenger and ECS. They also carried a blank set of plates for when the coach was the tail end of the train. I think that is displaying the blank plates.

The Aryshire sets had standard roller blind four figure headcodes. When these were new they only displayed the class of train not the full headcode but the route was displayed by the old Caledonian Railway and G&SWR semaphore headcodes. Blowed if I can find a photo of one on line. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

There is a picture taken by E R Morton on September 15th 1956 of it awaiting departure from Chinley's bay platform for its return run to the Derby Carriage & Wagon Works over the Peak Forest route.  It was on David Hey's sadly gone website, but thanks to Wayback Machine it is about half way down this page. https://web.archive.org/web/20180820020903/http://davidheyscollection.com/page52.htm 

According to the caption the coaches, numbered M9821 and M9828, were converted from former LMS Open Brake Thirds with motor bogies removed from withdrawn Euston-Watford electric units and a Ruston-Paxman type 6ZHHL of 450bhp in each coach.

If it helps anyone this is a link direct to the photo but not the caption. https://web.archive.org/web/20180820020903im_/http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/001-erm-exp-unit-chinley.jpg That unit was a new one to me, so thanks for the original link.

Edited by john new
changed copy photo to link (couldn't get the text link to work)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, john new said:

If it helps anyone this is a link direct to the photo but not the caption. https://web.archive.org/web/20180820020903im_/http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/001-erm-exp-unit-chinley.jpg That unit was a new one to me, so thanks for the original link.

According to David Jenkinson the coaches were Period 1 two window all-steel BTOs to Diagram 1746. The roof was rivetted steel. They were from Lot number 182 built by BRCW in 1926..

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been busy doing stuff. I have motorised the chassis for the Edinburgh to Glasgow unit.

100_5689.JPG.7e5a9fcb6f938edc5882b1fca99937cd.JPG

I have also modified the ends of the two driving cars, photos to follow.

The first coach of the Hastings units has been cut out and experimented with. Now how does 32 mm on the Trix  roof gutters differ from 32 mm on the Bachmann Mk1 suburban coach underframe? Holding the ends, sides, roof and chassis together the sides slope inwards at the top. The Replica powered coach chassis has the same 32mm as the Bachmann coach. I have checked using both a Trix and a Tri-ang chassis as well, I think shortening the Tri-ang chassis is going to be a winner. Now to reconsider how I am going to power this little beauty? Photos to follow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Photos of tonight's work.

The ScR Swindon Inter-city unit DMBS, only one side completed. It is mainly from Trix sides with a bit of Tri-ang mounted on a Tri-ang Mk1 chassis.

100_5692a.jpg.9b61321607abb57ea4adbb4c2a0c9951.jpg

The DMBS of a Class 6S DEMU. Plastic card sides and ends, Trix roof and shortened Tri-ang chassis.

100_5695a.jpg.c20a28d0a3c753fa5f4d396bdc59bcc0.jpg

100_5694a.jpg.51f6ce50a34ea0bfa7f2d2f21828c8b9.jpg

Side by side.

The Hastings unit has gone and popped up a bit, funny how you notice these things after taking the photo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I am pulling out what remains of my hair........DCC you drive the trains not the track

Real Railway The signaler sets the route, clears the signals, the guard (or station staff if one man operated) tell the driver the train is set to go and the driver pulls the regulator. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

DCC Model Railway The route is set (maybe by a signaler but could also be by the driver on his handset), signals ( if fitted and operative) are cleared, there maybe someone who tells the driver is it OK to go but normally there isn't, the driver (who maybe the signaler as well) pushes the go button, or the slidey thing or turns the twiddly knob. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

DC Model Railway The route is set (maybe by a signaler but could also be by the driver on the control panel), signals ( if fitted and operative) are cleared, there maybe someone who tells the driver is it OK to go but normally there isn't, the driver (who maybe the signaler as well) pushes the  the slidey thing or turns the twiddly knob. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

Can someone explain how you drive the track in DC?  Mine seems to stay still even without the nails in it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2