Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Mrs Clive is still trying to teach him to use the camera. Its almost as complicated as DCC so you may be waiting a while for pictures from Clive ;)

Next time I'm up, if we stop chatting for a bit I'll force him to operate some of them and get a good selection of pictures from a normal Clive operating session. In the mean time, I'm going back a page to watch Kylie again :)

• RMweb Premium

But we do not see the work half the time, but a picture of a band. I come here for the modeling. Big smiley face.

Mr Irven

It was only four days ago I last shared photos of my train set and on Monday you were treated to moving pictures in technicolour by Matt. If later on today if I carry on fixing my stored locos I will photograph the broken ones.

Thinking about it, I am reporting on the coming and goings of my toy trains, sharing some music and having fun. I cannot find in the title of the topic spending hours editing poorly taken photos.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have been considering the scenic side of things. The bridges over the two sets of approach lines which will form the visual break have been thought about, more the bit between them and the tracks.

First thought was a factory, having seen the master pieces that Andrew P produces I was at first inclined to have a factory like this one on his Bitton thread. 

post-16423-0-83133100-1535213724.png

Seriously. The bridge to be more of a viaduct with several arches not only those for the running lines. A low relief goods yard office, perhaps like the one in the LMS Architecture book of Leicester's good office as built by the LMS. Next to it the entrance to the goods yard, a downward slope.  Coming through the arches a roadway to the exit on an upward slope that doubles back on itself. The bends would be sharp as the slope would have been made when horses were the main traction for the delivery drays. I have a fleet of Scammell Scarabs which were designed to get where a horse and cart could go. And a few sidings coming under the bridge, somewhere to show those Parkside kits I cannot get to run properly.

post-16423-0-37782700-1535214970.png

Hopefully this will give the presence of a large goods yard close by.

• Like 5

I have been considering the scenic side of things. The bridges over the two sets of approach lines which will form the visual break have been thought about, more the bit between them and the tracks.

First thought was a factory, having seen the master pieces that Andrew P produces I was at first inclined to have a factory like this one on his Bitton thread. 

attachicon.gifbodgits pie shop.png

Seriously. The bridge to be more of a viaduct with several arches not only those for the running lines. A low relief goods yard office, perhaps like the one in the LMS Architecture book of Leicester's good office as built by the LMS. Next to it the entrance to the goods yard, a downward slope.  Coming through the arches a roadway to the exit on an upward slope that doubles back on itself. The bends would be sharp as the slope would have been made when horses were the main traction for the delivery drays. I have a fleet of Scammell Scarabs which were designed to get where a horse and cart could go. And a few sidings coming under the bridge, somewhere to show those Parkside kits I cannot get to run properly.

attachicon.gifBridge.png

I do have a Patent on Bodgit Sausages you know!

I am too tone deaf to sing in tune or to play an instrument. Hence my taste in music, I like it, but I don't know if it is musically any good. 

This evening I didn't operate the layout as such but went through a box of 9 x 47s and 4 x 37s. None of these locos have been driven since I last took them to a show with Hanging Hill or I took them home from the shop i brought them from. All had dirty wheels and needed oiling. some might have last run 15 ago. Only two didn't perform in the end, well one did but not good enough.

The 47s were a mix of Lima, Hornby (both types of chassis) and a MTK loco. It was the MTK one that didn't work very well. It ran ok but as it got warmer it drew too much current and the trip thingy in the controller would go POP. give a minute or so and off it went again for a lap and a bit. It is powered by two MTK power bogies with XO4 motors. I am not too sure what to do with this one because when it ran it went OK. 

I would suggest that an X04 could draw best part of an amp. Therefore 2 x X04 > 1 amp = controller trips due to overload.

I don't have a solution to this - the two options would seem to be a rebuild of the power units with something that draws less current than the Southern Region, or a controller rated at 2 amps (which won't trip for anything else...)

I do have a Patent on Bodgit Sausages you know!

Are they as wholesome as Mrs Miggins "suspiciously large" sausages?!

Clive, maybe you should have a whole Diesel Works thing going on for those locos needing attention? With a track running offstage onto your workbench? :jester:

Are they as wholesome as Mrs Miggins "suspiciously large" sausages?!

Clive, maybe you should have a whole Diesel Works thing going on for those locos needing attention? With a track running offstage onto your workbench? :jester:

FLOOR?

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I continued with the box of locos.

The Deltic without bogies now has some Hornby 47 bogies that will be modified (the same as the ones it shared with the 37). I had to rebuild the integral chassis so that it would run.

The D600 was a pain to get running but I did in the end.

I done a bodge to power up the two BTHs, they did look good running in opposite directions.

I swapped chassis on the Wrenn class 20, it seems to ride higher than the other one, so that needs sorting.

Here is my course work for Mr Irven to review.

post-16423-0-14788400-1535234424_thumb.jpg

2 x BTH type 1s

post-16423-0-31813100-1535234436_thumb.jpg

Bodged chassis

post-16423-0-43282200-1535234447_thumb.jpg

Stretched Lima Deltic now running

post-16423-0-07115700-1535234457_thumb.jpg

Tow more, still need work doing on them

post-16423-0-81451500-1535234466_thumb.jpg

2 x EE Type1

post-16423-0-18199600-1535234477_thumb.jpg

The chassis for the NBL Type 1 which I thought wouldn't run but it ran very well.

post-16423-0-91599300-1535234487_thumb.jpg

The NBL Type 1, I didn't photograph the broken one.

post-16423-0-48628300-1535234502_thumb.jpg

A pair of NBL Type 4s, I must finish the one I got running tonight. I was wondering which box I got the painted one out of, there was a space in this box so it has been returned.

There was another space.....I forgot about Lion, it still waits bogie replacement.

I bit of vintage Swiss punk, I think the first female band I started to follow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that an X04 could draw best part of an amp. Therefore 2 x X04 > 1 amp = controller trips due to overload.

I don't have a solution to this - the two options would seem to be a rebuild of the power units with something that draws less current than the Southern Region, or a controller rated at 2 amps (which won't trip for anything else...)

There must be another solution, buying a more powerful controller for one loco is a wee bit over the top for me.

• RMweb Gold

Well, your layout obviously works fine and best of all is lots of fun!

Curious about ye olde Triang motor bogie in the third pic, must be into its 50's, does it still go?

John.

Clive or the motor bogie?

One is tired and old and tries to to drag itself round whilst emitting a lot of noise, and the other is a Triang motor bogie.

Mike.

• Like 1

I continued with the box of locos.

The Deltic without bogies now has some Hornby 47 bogies that will be modified (the same as the ones it shared with the 37). I had to rebuild the integral chassis so that it would run.

The D600 was a pain to get running but I did in the end.

I done a bodge to power up the two BTHs, they did look good running in opposite directions.

I swapped chassis on the Wrenn class 20, it seems to ride higher than the other one, so that needs sorting.

Here is my course work for Mr Irven to review.

attachicon.gif100_5026.JPG

2 x BTH type 1s

attachicon.gif100_5028.JPG

Bodged chassis

attachicon.gif100_5030.JPG

Stretched Lima Deltic now running

attachicon.gif100_5032.JPG

Tow more, still need work doing on them

attachicon.gif100_5033.JPG

2 x EE Type1

attachicon.gif100_5035.JPG

The chassis for the NBL Type 1 which I thought wouldn't run but it ran very well.

attachicon.gif100_5037.JPG

The NBL Type 1, I didn't photograph the broken one.

attachicon.gif100_5039.JPG

A pair of NBL Type 4s, I must finish the one I got running tonight. I was wondering which box I got the painted one out of, there was a space in this box so it has been returned.

There was another space.....I forgot about Lion, it still waits bogie replacement.

I bit of vintage Swiss punk, I think the first female band I started to follow.

Copyright! :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifbodgits pie shop.png

attachicon.gifBridge.png

Plenty of bridges for the buses too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh my lord, Claire still has it!  And the lads are looking well...

I'm off to file the divorce papers...

Dear Dr Gerbil-Fritters,

Much as I am sympathetic to your feelings towards Ms. Grogan, I regret to suggest that the footage may not be as recent as you may think.  Having seen her interviewed in the last few months, I would suggest that she now looks more like an attractive woman in her middle fifties rather than as seen in the film.  Still stunning though!

Sympathetically yours,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

OK I have remotored Lion and it is running wonderfully. At the moment it is hauling a rake of maroon Mk1s at a scale 60mph. It has been romping around at 80-90mph.

What do I do with my Heljan model?

I know the Heljan one is better than mine, except it is white not ivory, but mine is mine.

Claire Grogan might still have that visual wow factor, something these ladies never pretended to have but the wow factor in their creative music is brilliant.

• Like 2

Re.Lion. Number yours D0261. It's a little known fact that BRC&W made two of them, one was white and the other ivory, the idea being to see which looked better in service as they became work soiled. No-one knows the answer, as the evaluation documents were lost in BRC&W's liquidation.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Re.Lion. Number yours D0261. It's a little known fact that BRC&W made two of them, one was white and the other ivory, the idea being to see which looked better in service as they became work soiled. No-one knows the answer, as the evaluation documents were lost in BRC&W's liquidation.

John.

Hi John

I like your thinking.