Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Jazzer was concerned about long trains and this feature, I hope they still work.

The L&YR side, a Bradford bound DMU departs as a loco hauled non gangway set arrives from Barnsley.

post-16423-0-06774900-1547828593_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-86033400-1547828612_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-57968700-1547828627_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-93582200-1547828665_thumb.jpg

A 8 car train from Harrogate and York arrives 

post-16423-0-06268000-1547828692_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-60865900-1547828712_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-80754100-1547828843_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-89210500-1547828893_thumb.jpg

It looks a bit more dashing coming across the cross over.

post-16423-0-11252600-1547828944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Jazzer was concerned about long trains and this feature, I hope they still work.

The L&YR side, a Bradford bound DMU departs as a loco hauled non gangway set arrives from Barnsley.

attachicon.gif100_5578a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_5579a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_5580.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5587.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5588.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5589.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5590.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5592.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5593.JPG

A problem I see in the photos above is that the onward extension of the main road beyond the r/h bridge (over the line that Harrogate DMU is coming in from) goes through the roof line of the shed. Not quite sure how you would disguise that other than bringing the road line forward on a curve and putting the gable ends of the sheds behind the road line. If you don't disguise it somehow you will have a very short goods shed.

Dabbling with ideas for the buildings etc., on my own small shunting plank currently so facing similar decisions.

Edited by john new

attachicon.gif100_5578a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_5579a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_5580.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5587.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5588.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5589.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5590.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5592.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5593.JPG

The long trains still look great and the track formation is probably as close to the real thing as you are likely to get in model form. I love that part of it. It still looks congested around the goods shed area to me but its your trainset not mine so its ultimately down to your judgment. What I would say though is that if it was a real railway you would need fencing or more likely a wall protecting the running lines from the goods shed area. . They railways have a legal duty to protect their employees from their own stupidity, even if they are drunk and even if someone is trespassing.. You have even got some buildings close to the running lines. You could get away with that sort of thing in a goods yard where things rarely move and when they do its under supervision of a shunter or foreman of some kind but certainly not close to the running lines. How about this : turn the goods shed round the other way so  the viewer is looking at the back. You could still have some wagons against the buffers or lorries parked alongside but with a fence fencing the whole thing off. That way you wouldn't have lorries so close to the running lines. It may look wrong but give it a try and see what you can do with it. If its doesn't work go back to the original plan and think about fences/walls   ( I spent a big chunk of by working life investigating accidents on lorries docks airports and ships and dealing with compensation claims )

• RMweb Premium

The long trains still look great and the track formation is probably as close to the real thing as you are likely to get in model form. I love that part of it. It still looks congested around the goods shed area to me but its your trainset not mine so its ultimately down to your judgment. What I would say though is that if it was a real railway you would need fencing or more likely a wall protecting the running lines from the goods shed area. . They railways have a legal duty to protect their employees from their own stupidity, even if they are drunk and even if someone is trespassing.. You have even got some buildings close to the running lines. You could get away with that sort of thing in a goods yard where things rarely move and when they do its under supervision of a shunter or foreman of some kind but certainly not close to the running lines. How about this : turn the goods shed round the other way so  the viewer is looking at the back. You could still have some wagons against the buffers or lorries parked alongside but with a fence fencing the whole thing off. That way you wouldn't have lorries so close to the running lines. It may look wrong but give it a try and see what you can do with it. If its doesn't work go back to the original plan and think about fences/walls   ( I spent a big chunk of by working life investigating accidents on lorries docks airports and ships and dealing with compensation claims )

Hi Jazzer

In the plans there will be a wall or fence between the yard and the running line as a barrier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A problem I see in the photos above is that the onward extension of the main road beyond the r/h bridge (over the line that Harrogate DMU is coming in from) goes through the roof line of the shed. Not quite sure how you would disguise that other than bringing the road line forward on a curve and putting the gable ends of the sheds behind the road line. If you don't disguise it somehow you will have a very short goods shed.

How about:

- extend the shed back to your wall, so the building won't be rectangular.

- move the bridge on the RH lines so it crosses at more of an angle.  Imagine the road running along the RHS of the station as you look along the platforms.  At the corner of your boards, there is a junction; the road kinks left about 30deg (so less sharply than now) with perhaps a junction at 90deg to the right.

- Once over the railway, the road then kinks right again to run along the side of the goods shed to your backscene.  As the far side of the bridge is slightly to the right of your current position, your access ramp to the goods yard will be a slightly shallower gradient.

Hope that's clear-ish.

• RMweb Premium

How about:

- extend the shed back to your wall, so the building won't be rectangular.

- move the bridge on the RH lines so it crosses at more of an angle.  Imagine the road running along the RHS of the station as you look along the platforms.  At the corner of your boards, there is a junction; the road kinks left about 30deg (so less sharply than now) with perhaps a junction at 90deg to the right.

- Once over the railway, the road then kinks right again to run along the side of the goods shed to your backscene.  As the far side of the bridge is slightly to the right of your current position, your access ramp to the goods yard will be a slightly shallower gradient.

Hope that's clear-ish.

Hi Northmoor

I cannot go back to the wall the (layout) mainline runs behind it and I need access, lift off stuff gets left off or broken off.

I have had a squiggle with both bridges this evening, including angling the GNR bridge a tad more. I might have ago a building a more angled bridge over the GNR lines but I don't want to creep back too far on to the running lines, that at the moment are planned to stay scenery free.

I have also considered making the goods shed not as long therefore moving everything back a few inches giving more vehicular movement area, and room for a weigh bridge.

I have moved the L&YR bridge back enough so that there is space for a road vehicle to get in between it and the goods shed.

I have a very squeaky class 108 ( a 110 conversion from many years ago)  running around. It isn't the motor I oiled that last time it ran a few days ago. Going the other way I have nice six car formed of a Derby 4 car and a BRCW (BUT engineed) 2 car.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Changing the subject, and throwing the pigeon in with the cats at the same time.

I bought this months Railway Mudeller, for my mates Nobby and George's layout, Towcester, Mr Wrights comments and those two wonderful articles on modelling LMS?BR highs and the one on fish vans. Well my eldest looked at it and said , I think they have the roof curve wrong on that....pointing to Accuracale's Deltic. The more I look at the more I think she is right. Best keep this to this thread. It looks like they have started the curve at the bottom of the cant rail grilles, where it starts just below the framing of the grilles.

"3300hp with 18 cylinders an engine and two engines, that's 36 cylinders .... that's why they're special"

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

With red wheel hubs except when there was a Tory council and the hubs were painted blue.

On the subject of buses for Sheffield, Corgi (OOC) did quite a nice Utility type as well as the EFE ones I see in the pics. It might however be a bit early for your DMUs. It and the three EFE's in my collection (PD, AEC, Atlantean) all have red wheel hubs, and very smart they look too! 

I think some of the kit makers such as Little Bus Company have done other Sheffield vehicles in resin, but it isn't the easiest scheme to paint nicely.

East Midland would have reached Sheffield, and there's a very cute Bristol RE in their coach livery done by EFE. Britbus have also done a Lowlander, in two East Mids schemes, plus the Green NBC that followed. I bought several of the latter as a Hattons bargain, the construction quality is poor and I spent a ridiculous amount of time taking them to bits to get the part joins flush and the vehicles sitting straight.

John.

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of buses for Sheffield, Corgi (OOC) did quite a nice Utility type as well as the EFE ones I see in the pics. It might however be a bit early for your DMUs. It and the three EFE's in my collection (PD, AEC, Atlantean) all have red wheel hubs, and very smart they look too! 

I think some of the kit makers such as Little Bus Company have done other Sheffield vehicles in resin, but it isn't the easiest scheme to paint nicely.

East Midland would have reached Sheffield, and there's a very cute Bristol RE in their coach livery done by EFE. Britbus have also done a Lowlander, in two East Mids schemes, plus the Green NBC that followed. I bought several of the latter as a Hattons bargain, the construction quality is poor and I spent a ridiculous amount of time taking them to bits to get the part joins flush and the vehicles sitting straight.

John.

Hi John

I am in trouble, the dogs want there walk and I am looking at bus photos...thanks. :mosking:

Feeling the love for the really true-to-prototype DMU lash-ups, Clive.  Most people seem to shy away from them when in reality they predominated in many regions; on the subject of which, I just looked and was shocked to find my DMU stash has been breeding again....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Feeling the love for the really true-to-prototype DMU lash-ups, Clive.  Most people seem to shy away from them when in reality they predominated in many regions; on the subject of which, I just looked and was shocked to find my DMU stash has been breeding again....

Hi 'Chard

Thanks

The blighters breed like mad once let lose........

I get the impression that many modellers, even diesel and electric bods, have a token unit or two and never run in multiple. There are exceptions, like Paul Wade and Tonbridge West Yard with all those lovely 3rd rail units he has built.

I train spotted from the end of steam and my memories are of long multiple unit trains, of the four London termini that had DMUs only it was very rare to see a single or two car unit and then at only at two of them. Four (2 x 2car), six (2 x 3car or 3 x 2car) and eight (2 x 4car) were the most common. As for the other stations with their EMUs to find a single unit pottering about you knew it was the middle of the day. EMUs and DMUs were formed into trains most the time. I think, I could be wrong, the clue is in the name Multiple Unit.

I am trying to recreate the impression of a busy station. Busy stations shift lots of people, you cannot fit lots of people in a two car train. An eight car multiple unit hopefully reflects that. Where a six coach hauled train may not especially  at a terminus station when the locos take up a quarter of the platform. Having said that I have been running some six coach non gangway trains and they look good.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Changing the subject, and throwing the pigeon in with the cats at the same time.

I bought this months Railway Mudeller, for my mates Nobby and George's layout, Towcester, Mr Wrights comments and those two wonderful articles on modelling LMS?BR highs and the one on fish vans. Well my eldest looked at it and said , I think they have the roof curve wrong on that....pointing to Accuracale's Deltic. The more I look at the more I think she is right. Best keep this to this thread. It looks like they have started the curve at the bottom of the cant rail grilles, where it starts just below the framing of the grilles.

"3300hp with 18 cylinders an engine and two engines, that's 36 cylinders .... that's why they're special"

Have you said anything to Accurascale about it?