Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Look this is being built and operated by a simple fat bald bloke with the attention span of a goldfish. :rtfm:

Goldfish here! an interlock switch to do that is quite simple and just needs to kill the power to 2 of your track sections...

Attention span over.

Edit: your catches to hold it down and in place are metal aren't they?... use a wire across those as the interlock switch, completing the circuit for a relay coil that turns on supply to those 2 sections/lines at your control panel.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now there's a challenge - interlocking the signals and controllers with the lifting section. I'm sure the life-sized railway must do it, otherwise the Norfolk Broads would be unnavigable due to sunken DMUs.

No All Network Rail do is break the law every summer, lock the bridges in the railway position and block the river traffic..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No running yesterday.

I done quite a bit of research once I found the right books, more of that later. The fuel point in the diesel stabling point is going to be based on the same design the ER used at Boston, Ipswich and Finsbury Park. So It was looking for photos that show not only the canopy but the pump as well.

I then went looking for photos of the coal elevator at Kings Cross, Passenger Loco, found some. I then went back to the question of the waste product from the locomotives, the ash. The fireboxes would be raked between duties while the loco was being coaled, Colchester, Kings Cross and Hatfield all had a ash pit in front of the coaler. A photo of Hatfield showed piles of ash waiting to be loaded into a wagon for disposal. So what type of wagon would they use, an empty coal one? Or as I have seen in loco depot photos a five plank open. I then found in Great Northern Engine Sheds book, a photo of a five plank wagon on the coal road at Kings Cross, its door open and the load was not coal but something much finer so I answered my own question. 

Now the main reason for no running or planned modelling was my books, they were bunged on the bookcase from the boxes they were transported from Essex to here in. No real order so trying to find something was taking me ages. Last night I said "Enough is enough sort them out matey". Well so far I have one book case, the diesel locos, in some type of order, that is the first 250 books. Only two more book cases to go.

• Like 2

I had a constructive weekend on the railway.  Painted various bits that will become the station canopy, and fixed an errant Hornby class 50 that was not running well.  Turned out to be the gear housing had come adrift.

Talking of model class 50s - why are all the models available in every scale wrong in the same way?  They all have an incorrect cab window arrangement.  Its as if they've all been made from the same incorrect drawings, and no-one every looked at a real class 50.

Also, the Hornby model takes prototypical too far, its ridiculously over engineered.  Opening cab doors, working fans, movable shutters... all should have been dispensed with in favour of accurate cab.  It's also displaying early signs of mazak rot... 

Never mind, I'm going to get sound and RealDrive fitted to my class 071 for more fun.

• RMweb Premium

I had a constructive weekend on the railway.  Painted various bits that will become the station canopy, and fixed an errant Hornby class 50 that was not running well.  Turned out to be the gear housing had come adrift.

Talking of model class 50s - why are all the models available in every scale wrong in the same way?  They all have an incorrect cab window arrangement.  Its as if they've all been made from the same incorrect drawings, and no-one every looked at a real class 50.

Also, the Hornby model takes prototypical too far, its ridiculously over engineered.  Opening cab doors, working fans, movable shutters... all should have been dispensed with in favour of accurate cab.  It's also displaying early signs of mazak rot... 

Never mind, I'm going to get sound and RealDrive fitted to my class 071 for more fun.

Hi Doc

I never liked class 50s (D400s as we knew them) but I run one on Pig Lane and it is one of my favorite models. What would your philosophers say about that?

And what is Real Drive?

Real Drive allows you to drive the loco properly, so the engine revs before pulling away, the loco will coast with the engine ticking over, and you have to apply the brakes to stop it.  Its a more realistic DCC system (in my view) that works really well for a loco with some interesting noises like the 071. 

Even though I've abandoned my US stuff for now, I still like the sound of an EMD...  I'm enjoying my Irish diesels more than anything at the moment.

• Like 1

I did ask. :no2:

Sorry not my scene. I am quite happy going Brummmm Brummmm Brummmm or Chuffff Chuffff Chuffff. :good:

Hi Clive,

Once, when sat in the car at a level crossing with the then current woman, I saw approaching a class 47 and I said, "Here comes a spoon".

She asked incredulously why they were called spoons so I told her that the noise of horns sounds like this, and then made the sound.  I got 'one of those looks that only women can do' for my trouble.

Seconds later the driver of the 47 added his contribution to the audio demonstration. She then complimented me on how accurate my rendition was, and then gave me another, 'one of those looks only woman can do'.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Once, when sat in the car at a level crossing with the then current woman, I saw approaching a class 47 and I said, "Here comes a spoon".

She asked incredulously why they were called spoons so I told her that the noise of horns sounds like this, and then made the sound.  I got 'one of those looks that only women can do' for my trouble.

Seconds later the driver of the 47 added his contribution to the audio demonstration. She then complimented me on how accurate my rendition was, and then gave me another, 'one of those looks only woman can do'.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

I still stare in amazement at my trains moving under my control. Plus I am tone deaf so a diesel sounds like a diesel rendering sound chips useless. 

As why type four and halves were called spoons, now I know.

Why do British trains when sounding a warning do a long and a short crow? 

Sorry no photos from tonight's session. I ran more trains without the photographer getting in the way. And I made less mistakes tonight. :locomotive:

I think 'Chard likes these ladies.

We do indeed, they are playing a big Vegas show in May, not bad for four young sisters from Hastings. 

All their names, incidentally, have the initials ACE (Alison, Anna, Abby and Amy Elliott - I won't trouble you with their middle names!).

• RMweb Premium

I have carried on sorting out the books, I am now wondering what order to I put my books on the Midland Railway.

So far I have put them like this

London to Carlisle, via Derby, Sheffield and Leeds

Lines to the east of this line, Hitchin, Huntington, Peterbrough, Lincoln etc

Lines to the west north of Sheffield, Bradford, Morecombe etc

Lines to Manchester and Liverpool from Derby and Sheffield

Derby to Birmingham

Lines to the west of the London to Carlisle line to towns in the Midlands

Birmingham to Bristol

Branchlines off the Birmingham to Bristol route

Does that seem logical?

I do not have any on the MR lines to Swansea, are there any?

I have carried on sorting out the books, I am now wondering what order to I put my books on the Midland Railway.

So far I have put them like this

London to Carlisle, via Derby, Sheffield and Leeds

Lines to the east of this line, Hitchin, Huntington, Peterbrough, Lincoln etc

Lines to the west north of Sheffield, Bradford, Morecombe etc

Lines to Manchester and Liverpool from Derby and Sheffield

Derby to Birmingham

Lines to the west of the London to Carlisle line to towns in the Midlands

Birmingham to Bristol

Branchlines off the Birmingham to Bristol route

Does that seem logical?

I do not have any on the MR lines to Swansea, are there any?

Hi Clive,

I'd do this if I were you:

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We do indeed, they are playing a big Vegas show in May, not bad for four young sisters from Hastings. 

All their names, incidentally, have the initials ACE (Alison, Anna, Abby and Amy Elliott - I won't trouble you with their middle names!).

Alison Cara Elliott (Lead vocals/Guitar), Anna Coral Elliott (Guitar/Vocals), Amy Catherine Elliott (Bass/Vocals) and Abby Charlotte Elliott (Drums).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

I'd do this if I were you:

Gibbo.

Now that would make sense if the publishers were to do all Midland, LMS and LMR books in red, post Tops in BR blue, LNER in royal blue, SR in green, ScR in sky blue, NER in tangerine  and GWR, WR ones in brown with cream lettering, life would be so easier.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now that would make sense if the publishers were to do all Midland, LMS and LMR books in red, post Tops in BR blue, LNER in royal blue, SR in green, ScR in sky blue, NER in tangerine  and GWR, WR ones in brown with cream lettering, life would be so easier.

If only life (and railway liveries) were that simple!

Mike.

• Like 1

I'd start by checking which would fit on the shelves! The different formats always play havock with any system

I come up with.

Beyond that you have a basic error, clearly Birmingham - BRISTOL and branches thereof should be at the

top of your list.

All the best.

• Like 1

No running yesterday.

I done quite a bit of research once I found the right books, more of that later. The fuel point in the diesel stabling point is going to be based on the same design the ER used at Boston, Ipswich and Finsbury Park. So It was looking for photos that show not only the canopy but the pump as well.

I then went looking for photos of the coal elevator at Kings Cross, Passenger Loco, found some. I then went back to the question of the waste product from the locomotives, the ash. The fireboxes would be raked between duties while the loco was being coaled, Colchester, Kings Cross and Hatfield all had a ash pit in front of the coaler. A photo of Hatfield showed piles of ash waiting to be loaded into a wagon for disposal. So what type of wagon would they use, an empty coal one? Or as I have seen in loco depot photos a five plank open. I then found in Great Northern Engine Sheds book, a photo of a five plank wagon on the coal road at Kings Cross, its door open and the load was not coal but something much finer so I answered my own question. 

Now the main reason for no running or planned modelling was my books, they were bunged on the bookcase from the boxes they were transported from Essex to here in. No real order so trying to find something was taking me ages. Last night I said "Enough is enough sort them out matey". Well so far I have one book case, the diesel locos, in some type of order, that is the first 250 books. Only two more book cases to go.

Don't forget there is also the smoke box ash which was much finer than firebox ash, almost like powder. This wouldn't go into the pit, more after than not shovelled straight into a wheelbarrow to be taken away. A real scary job, balancing just behind the buffer beam , trying to swing a shovel with nowhere to go if you list your footing , except straight off the side or into the pit.

That blows around far more than the firebox ash. Goodness knows what they did with the waste ash.

The was a small metal manual, coal hoist at Barnsley which might be the sort of design you are looking for. I can't remember what the one at KingsX ( station not the shed) looked like except it was quite small and had a number of small hopper wagons to be filled by hand first and seemed to take forever to replenish a Pacific tender.

No running yesterday.

Don't forget there is also the smoke box ash which was much finer than firebox ash, almost like powder. This wouldn't go into the pit, more after than not shovelled straight into a wheelbarrow to be taken away. A real scary job, balancing just behind the buffer beam , trying to swing a shovel with nowhere to go if you list your footing , except straight off the side or into the pit.

That blows around far more than the firebox ash. Goodness knows what they did with the waste ash.

The was a small metal manual, coal hoist at Barnsley which might be the sort of design you are looking for. I can't remember what the one at KingsX ( station not the shed) looked like except it was quite small and had a number of small hopper wagons to be filled by hand first and seemed to take forever to replenish a Pacific tender.

No running yesterday.

No running yesterday.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jazzer

I have built one before, it now resides with my mate who is the owner of Brisbane Rd.

• RMweb Premium

3526IMG_4543.jpg?preset=large

So Morty, what's your verdict on the latest Heljan product as illustrated?

Ta.

Duck.

Hi Phil

They don't fly very well.

Hanging Hill's first outing I had a brand new Heljan Hymek. Well I was so pleased that I got a Tri-ang Brush 2 through a Peco double slip I handn't noticed the Hymek wasn't isolated.....................CRASH and all the other exhibitors  :laugh:  :sarcastic:  :lol:  :haha: 

One of the best 00 loco models ever.

I think it's a little cutey pie. 

And as it's made by Heljan, it will probably run nicely without bits falling off unlike some other brands that will remain nameless...

I may have to have a blue and yellow one.  In the meantime, nobody could possibly guess my latest impulse buy from the Bay of E, suffice to say some were to be seen around Gloucester in dayes of olde.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's a little cutey pie. 

And as it's made by Heljan, it will probably run nicely without bits falling off unlike some other brands that will remain nameless...

I may have to have a blue and yellow one.  In the meantime, nobody could possibly guess my latest impulse buy from the Bay of E, suffice to say some were to be seen around Gloucester in dayes of olde.

Hi Doc

A Ratio Midland class 1P 2-4-0 :dontknow: