Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Clive, you could justify DP2 as it was a regular on the Master Cutler into Sheffield. 

The Baby Deltics could be running LE to Doncaster for their periodic overhauls.

Hi Peter

I had considered the excuse of locos coming from Doncaster after a works visit. That is why there is a 70 ft turntable for the Pacifics which sadly no longer appear since the advent of the diesels. Just I cannot flood the layout with 10 scratchbuilt , 6 cut and shuts and a Heljan Baby Deltics. One now and then might be OK. As for services to London, I have purposely made Exchange face northwards so it serves towns in Lancashire, Yorkshire and north Lincolnshire. That is why I have a reasonable amount of DMUs and non-gangway coaches for the shorter journeys.

In my stash of stuff that needs finishing I do have enough Pullmans for both the Master Cutler and Sheffield Pullman when they consisted of 1930s built K stock. All cut and shut old Hornby ones for the correct formations. I also have a few Bachmann and Southern Pride Mk1 Pullmans and a Tri-ang Blue Pullman I was making into a Midland Pullman . I think I have as many Pullman coaches as I have Mk1 gangway stock. :wacko:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Peter

I had considered the excuse of locos coming from Doncaster after a works visit. That is why there is a 70 ft turntable for the Pacifics which sadly no longer appear since the advent of the diesels. Just I cannot flood the layout with 10 scratchbuilt , 6 cut and shuts and a Heljan Baby Deltics. One now and then might be OK. As for services to London, I have purposely made Exchange face northwards so it serves towns in Lancashire, Yorkshire and north Lincolnshire. That is why I have a reasonable amount of DMUs and non-gangway coaches for the shorter journeys.

In my stash of stuff that needs finishing I do have enough Pullmans for both the Master Cutler and Sheffield Pullman when they consisted of 1930s built K stock. All cut and shut old Hornby ones for the correct formations. I also have a few Bachmann and Southern Pride Mk1 Pullmans and a Tri-ang Blue Pullman I was making into a Midland Pullman . I think I have as many Pullman coaches as I have Mk1 gangway stock. :wacko:

Possibly a way forward is to have two movements on the GN side that are designated as Doncaster Works running-in turns - one for Type 4/5 and one for Type 2. Each time you have a running session , one or other of these movements has a "visiting" loco and the other one is worked by normal traction

This is how it would have been done in real life, and it imposes a certain discipline and structure on the "visiting" locos - only classes overhauled at Doncaster , on this particular working

(However this does imply some kind of train sequence existing - which a station of this size might well require)

DP2 sounds easier as it would have had to be returned to the ER from the Master Cutler, somehow - say LE into Exchange then out on something to Doncaster /NE Reg . Maybe a parcels service?

On the shunter side , I'd have thought classes 03 and 04 would have been preferred for oil tank trips as they had a higher maximum speed and would be less of a nuisance on the main line

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Possibly a way forward is to have two movements on the GN side that are designated as Doncaster Works running-in turns - one for Type 4/5 and one for Type 2. Each time you have a running session , one or other of these movements has a "visiting" loco and the other one is worked by normal traction

This is how it would have been done in real life, and it imposes a certain discipline and structure on the "visiting" locos - only classes overhauled at Doncaster , on this particular working

(However this does imply some kind of train sequence existing - which a station of this size might well require)

DP2 sounds easier as it would have had to be returned to the ER from the Master Cutler, somehow - say LE into Exchange then out on something to Doncaster /NE Reg . Maybe a parcels service?

On the shunter side , I'd have thought classes 03 and 04 would have been preferred for oil tank trips as they had a higher maximum speed and would be less of a nuisance on the main line

I am trying to keep quite disciplined with my locos, units and coaches when I have a serious session. When Map turns up we have all sorts of gaudy  coloured things some with pantographs. As for when Mr Duck appears he brings spam cans. I just have too many locos for my layout and not all are suitable.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am trying to keep quite disciplined with my locos, units and coaches when I have a serious session. When Map turns up we have all sorts of gaudy  coloured things some with pantographs. As for when Mr Duck appears he brings spam cans. I just have too many locos for my layout and not all are suitable.

You can NEVER have to many Spam Cans on a Layout mate. Proper Job Boy.:P

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Just had another thought.

Suppose the Master Cutler ran from KX to Sheff Ex rather than Sheff Vic., with Pullman cars from Huddersfield and Halifax.

Then you could have operations like those at Leeds Central, with portions ex Bradford and Harrogate joining to form the Yorkshire Pullman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

PS The Master Cutler in those days had quite an eclectic mix of motive power. Apart from DP2, there was Falcon, Lion and EE Type 4s. The one time I saw it, it had a Brush 4 though  :mad_mini:

It was always D1575 on the front when I use to trainspot at Bedford Midland Road. I do believe the Master Cutler was the only named train to go to three different London termini, have two different departing stations in Sheffield and to have been a Pullman at one point in time.

GCR, Sheffield Victoria to Marylebone

GNR, Sheffield Victoria to Kings Cross, Pullman

MR, Sheffield Midland to St Pancras

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have an A4 somewhere... that fits in with your sensible plan so I'll make sure to bring inappropriate coaches for it to pull.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been busy tonight making a chassis for a BRCW 2 car unit and modifying another chassis for a Derby Heavyweight Long Underframe 2 car unit. Both are my old MTK kits but it makes sense to get them operational when they are types that are suitable for the layout rather than have the motor bogies sitting in a box as part of a loco that isn't going to be used. Cravens and Gloucester units hopefully tomorrow.

Not too sure if I will motorise the Met-cam unit as I have already got a few, well about ten. Park Royal and Wickhams units wouldn't have been seen in Sheffield so I think they will also remain in their boxes at the moment as are the Derby Lightweight and the Swindon 4 car intercity unit, well it is five cars as there is a second and a buffet in the box.

Shall I repair and motorise the Cravens I was making from Tri-ang Mk1 coaches?

10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been busy tonight making a chassis for a BRCW 2 car unit and modifying another chassis for a Derby Heavyweight Long Underframe 2 car unit. Both are my old MTK kits but it makes sense to get them operational when they are types that are suitable for the layout rather than have the motor bogies sitting in a box as part of a loco that isn't going to be used. Cravens and Gloucester units hopefully tomorrow.

Not too sure if I will motorise the Met-cam unit as I have already got a few, well about ten. Park Royal and Wickhams units wouldn't have been seen in Sheffield so I think they will also remain in their boxes at the moment as are the Derby Lightweight and the Swindon 4 car intercity unit, well it is five cars as there is a second and a buffet in the box.

Shall I repair and motorise the Cravens I was making from Tri-ang Mk1 coaches?

Go mad and build the Cravens Clive !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wot do you mean by "Go Mad" I already am. :crazy:

Hi Clive,

As Arthur Schopenhauer once said, " The recognition of madness, even within oneself, is the true path to sanity."

Here is my scratch built Cravens parcels car, it need glazing though.

1200724518_DSCF06431.JPG.6e6c4379a9439b102f3f1a9b4ee33d35.JPG

Gibbo.

Edit; It is much better that I do actually attach the photograph, see above quote !

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 81C said:

Clive on your cut & shut models what filler do you use ? :biggrin_mini2:

Milliput, Green Stuff, and Gamersworkshop Green Stuff ( it is two part epoxy like Milliput and expensive). Which ever I find on the work bench first.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

As Arthur Schopenhauer once said, " The recognition of madness, even within oneself, is the true path to sanity."

Gibbo.

Edit; It is much better that I do actually attach the photograph, see above quote !

Hi Gibbo

I have toyed with teh idea of building a Cravens parcels car (again) but not 100% sure if it will fit with my model. I already have more stuff that doesn't than I will ever need.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

I have toyed with teh idea of building a Cravens parcels car (again) but not 100% sure if it will fit with my model. I already have more stuff that doesn't than I will ever need.

Hi Clive,

It doesn't have to be a parcels unit, two car bug crates are acceptable also.

Gibbo. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No modelling tonight just photos and running.

100_5646a.jpg.9791d6e12935db5d0b39c23dc5d3f1df.jpg

Last nights MTK units arriving at Sheffield Exchange, the class 114 has returned from a trip to Barnsley and the 104 waiting at the signal has arrived with passengers on an all stations from Wakefield via Donacaster.

100_5640a.jpg.85070f7c28c576365c2dbf2a95266ae3.jpg

The Barnsley train has nearly finished its journey as it proceeds along platform two.

100_5642a.jpg.42898cf8998e47dad98d8e214f1afc4b.jpg

The Wakefield train sails past the steam loco yard.

100_5643a.jpg.1959cf8892773d3c82035782e528c5a9.jpg

The passengers start to stand as they ready themselves to alight on platform seven.

What is DP2 doing there?

100_5644a.jpg.10e3f832cb64966b07643281b2ea698c.jpg

Well DP2 and Lion both have a Pullman train attached to them, but is for part two.

100_5645a.jpg.8c2c05342b23fe2649f0ee47c42336c4.jpg

But before we discuss Pullman trains I would like to draw peoples attention to the permissive use of the platforms for DMUs, not often done at Sheffield Exchange but can be done without the aid of the EXTRA "C"

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2019 at 21:54, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Clive, you could justify DP2 as it was a regular on the Master Cutler into Sheffield. 

The Baby Deltics could be running LE to Doncaster for their periodic overhauls.

Hello Peter

Here are the Up and Down Master Cutler or Sheffield Pullman (depending on time of day) being hauled by Lion and DP2.

100_5647a.jpg.09523a0594b59a38701d623449a3e2b8.jpg

The guards have blown their whistles, the drivers have released the brakes and opened their throttles and the trains are now on their way. 

I don't seem to be able to upload anymore photos, why this is a differnt post and one photo is not 10 MB

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Try again now I have made myself a coffee.

Sorry no doing so I will tell you what I was going to post, pictures of the two trains passing as they looked reasonably impressive. Then photos of the coaches of one of the trains, both are the same formation explaining what were the donor coaches.   To finish with I was going to post a couple of photos of my old and damaged Cravens unit made form Tri-ang Mk1 coaches.

It looks like you are only allowed 10 MB per day, not per post like the old version.  I could go back to editing the photos so they are quarter size, well if I am doing that then i might as post them only on the DEMU forum.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Impressive pics mate, the Station throat looks good.

Can I ask about the Silver Coaches / Units? When I was modelling the German Railways, (pre Brexit) I had the Silver Fish Sets that were the Urban Commuter Trains, but I've never seen them before in the UK.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Impressive pics mate, the Station throat looks good.

Can I ask about the Silver Coaches / Units? When I was modelling the German Railways, (pre Brexit) I had the Silver Fish Sets that were the Urban Commuter Trains, but I've never seen them before in the UK.

Hi Andy

They are unpainted MTK kits, that move on their own. One day they will be painted a nice green colour.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Pullmans passing

100_5648a.jpg.dddecc13ef91e35cb7810d75d4339740.jpg

100_5652a.jpg.443d3bf711daa564305ac1a4a96bf632.jpg

The coaches.

100_5653a.jpg.fd5678c21186623e772b721626ef1940.jpg

Second Parlour Brake, as per Hornby model.

100_5654a.jpg.ca9daaa5f7e5052223ccd98355e5ad29.jpg

First Kitchen, converted from a First Parlour, it involves rejigging the windows at the kitchen end.

100_5655a.jpg.8a116f987bb32b2a92840d18c31a49f2.jpg

First Parlour as per the Hornby model.

100_5656a.jpg.e7ea690122f145b45b37f518339713ef.jpg

Second Parlour, this is made from two second brakes.

100_5657a.jpg.ab663df9cdd86d56d4ea658c29618f58.jpg

Second Kitchen, a second brake with bits from a first parlour.

100_5658a.jpg.a815b4c4179448a293231bccbb445b07.jpg

At the rear another Second Brake. Apparently there were only 4 of these built and I have all 4 on my two trains. Earlier Pullman brake coaches were used with the 1930s K type to supplement the lack of these coaches.

I understand the bogies Hornby have put under them are wrong and I need to alter some roof details,especially the catering cars and their under gubbins.

It did look good seeing the two trains pass each other....so one day I might complete them

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Here is my very old conversion , which has never been finished and was badly damaged after the box it was in fell off the shelf.

100_5659a.jpg

100_5661a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1