Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Youngster!

Mike.

I almost asked if you could recall the 1870s, but thought no, even you aren't that old............................................

:D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, newbryford said:

I almost asked if you could recall the 1870s, but thought no, even you aren't that old............................................

:D

Driving to York used to take me ages, that bloke with red flag held me up no end.

Mike.

• Funny 3

Here you go Clive, a couple of REAL good Girl Guitarist join Joe Bonamassa on stage.

The Keyboard player looks remarkably like our leader.

Edited by Andrew P
add words

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

See what I have to put up with on my thread.......

Could be worse, Me and Mike could be extolling the virtues of DCC.............

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I’d be more worried if this was in a copy of MRJ

the magazines need to play to their audience and depend on the RTR manufacturers and retailers for advertising revenue 

Hi Mr Head

I am not a fan of MRJ, I don't seem to connect with the modelling normally within its pages. Not as crude as my efforts and where is the Peco code 100 track? 

I have only ever bought a few copies, the best have been the ones with Goeff Kent's scratch building coaches from plastic card. Something I can relate to. 

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Here you go Clive, a couple of REAL good Girl Guitarist join Joe Bonamassa on stage.

The Keyboard player looks remarkably like our leader.

I can never make up my mind about Larkin Poe, they know their craft but somehow I don't connect with their style of music. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been model making tonight.......I have assembled the sides to the first of the Intermediate Motor Second Opens for my Glasgow- Edinburgh set. I have cut the bits for the second one and the Trailer First Corridor. I am in the process of marking out the Trailer First Corridor Restaurant  Buffet . Then I have a jigsaw of bits left over to make a Motor Brake Second Open with a full width cab. The one I have already made is an Intermediate Motor Brake Second Open. 

This young lady has been part of the support tonight. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNUkhs8WQV4

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mr Head

I am not a fan of MRJ, I don't seem to connect with the modelling normally within its pages. Not as crude as my efforts and where is the Peco code 100 track? 

I have only ever bought a few copies, the best have been the ones with Goeff Kent's scratch building coaches from plastic card. Something I can relate to. 

Hi Clive,

I agree with you regarding the modelling magazines. 'Staff projects' and lots of weathering articles suggest a difficulty in finding enough content for each issue.  Sometimes what modelling there is, isn't very good or is poorly researched so what's the point?.

MRJ normally has better standards certainly in the modelling. We can aspire to this even if we don't always achieve it, I think this usually makes it a worthwhile read. You have scratch built all that Geoff has, plus you've done locos, I don't think he has. So you can connect with the plastic modelling.

It may be the etched metal stuff you feel is outside your comfort zone. It does not matter, work with what suits you.

By the way, you can have P4 track on an 00 layout: 60' panels on 'Salmon' wagons, the track is still on view when the train is running.

Jim

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jimwal said:

Hi Clive,

I agree with you regarding the modelling magazines. 'Staff projects' and lots of weathering articles suggest a difficulty in finding enough content for each issue.  Sometimes what modelling there is, isn't very good or is poorly researched so what's the point?.

MRJ normally has better standards certainly in the modelling. We can aspire to this even if we don't always achieve it, I think this usually makes it a worthwhile read. You have scratch built all that Geoff has, plus you've done locos, I don't think he has. So you can connect with the plastic modelling.

It may be the etched metal stuff you feel is outside your comfort zone. It does not matter, work with what suits you.

By the way, you can have P4 track on an 00 layout: 60' panels on 'Salmon' wagons, the track is still on view when the train is running.

Jim

Hi Jim,

What a well observed comment, it must be difficult thing to fill the pages of a magazine when we are all on RMWeb showing off for free what used to be in the magazines.

I agree totally that you should work with what suits you and those that are sniffy about others work for such reasons ought to be ashamed of themselves. I like to build stuff from plastic models both RTR and kits, scratch built plasticard, all followed up by brush painting. My efforts end up on my thread and should others like and take an interest on what is posted then all the better.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Clive - Following a link to Flickr on another thread, then looking through other photos there, I found this one, which with your love of MUs you should find interesting.  I don't recall ever seeing a DMUs with van load attached inside the rake before.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/30712457724/in/photostream/

Was this common?

Rob

Part of the reason for lots of staff projects is it saves money. They have already paid the person. The mags do have articles. They have several of mine. However, not printing them for one reason or another. Scratch built locos might not be considered for the audience. Shame, as a ten year old I used to marvel at the skill. It gave me something to aspire to.

richard

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Clive - Following a link to Flickr on another thread, then looking through other photos there, I found this one, which with your love of MUs you should find interesting.  I don't recall ever seeing a DMUs with van load attached inside the rake before.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/30712457724/in/photostream/

Was this common?

Rob

Hi Rob 

The van in the photo is one of a two GUVs wired as blue square units, and they must have had a through pipe for the air control system. They were used with some class 116 motor cars that had their seats removed for parcels services between Bristol and Hayes, they also worked Paddington and Reading, alongside the class 128 MPVs. see https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-116/parcels

Thanks for the link to the photo. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, richard i said:

Part of the reason for lots of staff projects is it saves money. They have already paid the person. The mags do have articles. They have several of mine. However, not printing them for one reason or another. Scratch built locos might not be considered for the audience. Shame, as a ten year old I used to marvel at the skill. It gave me something to aspire to.

richard

Hi Richard 

Pity youngsters and even older modellers are not getting that inspiration.

How many pages does a review really take to say, well I know all about these locos but I think it looks good. I bet none of the magazines have picked up that the nose on the big Warship has too curved a top from the windscreen to the front . 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jim,

What a well observed comment, it must be difficult thing to fill the pages of a magazine when we are all on RMWeb showing off for free what used to be in the magazines.

I agree totally that you should work with what suits you and those that are sniffy about others work for such reasons ought to be ashamed of themselves. I like to build stuff from plastic models both RTR and kits, scratch built plasticard, all followed up by brush painting. My efforts end up on my thread and should others like and take an interest on what is posted then all the better.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo 

On forum like this there is very little sharing of modelling, and those of us do tend to be the ones who view what others are muttering about, hence it appears well received.  I think Enterprising Mike is right people want instant gratification. The Big Warship is a classic example, it must have been about 5 or more years ago I said how I went about building my example and said to those waiting if you really want one you would make it yourself or ask/pay someone*. March this year they all had damp panties because their must have loco finally reached them, a few days short of it being announced eleven years before. Far longer that the class was in service.

In the past I have been reported to the mods for showing my home made model when the RTR one is shi  cra  po rubbish.  

* I got no commissions. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Mmmmm . . . Clive you have raised an important issue and in the time honoured manner of what politicians do best and (bearing in mind that Australia is currently in election mode) all I will say is that your topic provides a great example of what makes model railways fun. 

That should settle the issue once and for all.

• Like 3

When I'm not swamped with domestic chores and do get a chance to do proper modelling I have a couple of threads where I show how I've gone about creating things. Generally very well received, however I've only once been asked to write (part of) a magazine article and that was by the chap writing a main layout article rather than by the magazine itself. From memory (it's been a few years!) I think it was a brief overview on branding shipping containers as WL was running a lot of unique containers that were not available RTR, I did offer to write a full in depth guide on how to create customized transfers so anyone could give it a go, but they never followed me up on the offer.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well gang its DCC Troll here again, 

I have only gone and got a 3 car Swindon Inter City unit running.....DMBS (intermediate) +TFKRB+ DMS (Intermediate). It was a bit reluctant to go round the bends so some modification to the hole the pick up bogie sits in, it were the pick up bogie that was coming off the rails. 

Which coach to build next? 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, stevea said:

Hi, Clive

Looking forward to you posting pic(s) of the Swindon or a video clip if you can manage some brimming to accompany it

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

I hope we are all up for a bit of brimming :locomotive:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1