Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

That's not Fog on the Tyne...

"Sittin' in a sleazy snack bar sucking sickly sausage rolls".

Could be lunchtime at any model railway exhibition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jim

Would the wheel spacing look too wrong if a Hornby sausage van undergubbins was  used? If I see one secondhand and cheap I might give it a bash, or try building my own. I have done a scratchbuilt 6 wheel underframe for the jib runner on my brakedown crane.

I do remember Keith and Colin being very disappointed when you told them what was wrong with their new toys.

The biggest problem is the floor is quite deep on the Hornby Palethorpes model so the bottom of the sides need to overlap it. The buffers and thus solebar level are a tad too high even with 12mm wheels. The cast metal outer axleguard units have holes in the base so could conceivably be moved outwards by cutting away the plastic clips which hold them in place and small screws used instead. Another method could use just the axleguard units fixed to a plasticard (or cut down coach) chassis, with a simple plastruct sliding cradle for the centre axle.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jim

Would the wheel spacing look too wrong if a Hornby sausage van undergubbins was  used? If I see one secondhand and cheap I might give it a bash, or try building my own. I have done a scratchbuilt 6 wheel underframe for the jib runner on my brakedown crane.

I do remember Keith and Colin being very disappointed when you told them what was wrong with their new toys.

I've a spare one you can check with Clive.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

The biggest problem is the floor is quite deep on the Hornby Palethorpes model so the bottom of the sides need to overlap it. The buffers and thus solebar level are a tad too high even with 12mm wheels. The cast metal outer axleguard units have holes in the base so could conceivably be moved outwards by cutting away the plastic clips which hold them in place and small screws used instead. Another method could use just the axleguard units fixed to a plasticard (or cut down coach) chassis, with a simple plastruct sliding cradle for the centre axle.

I've used one as the chassis under a Ratio GWR 4 wheeler, lots of issues with the chassis height etc, but nothing impossible to over come. Buffers are at the 2mm too high Triang height, and a bit of hacking about to have the sides overlap the chassis works; the major work was filing back the excess plastic around the tension lock mounting position.

Edit: link to picture of it, page 13, Feb 16th 2017 if it goes to the wrong post!

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jim

Hi Clive,

If your stove R body is correct length then semi scratchbuild the unerframe. Cut down a spare coach u/f as the buffers are correct for the six wheeler and you're well on the way! it will probably be easier than the jib runner.

As others have said the Triang/Hornby van is a compromise, so-so as it is but better to replace rather than improve.

On 22/06/2019 at 00:49, Clive Mortimore said:

Something a wee bit different music wise, I like it.

A few old stamping grounds there , with 35 years worth of changes. What's the station at 1.08?? Context suggests it might be on the North Shore line (Town Hall + Bridge + North Sydney street sign) but I don't recognise it - unless it's Chatswood as rebuilt for the new cross connection line?? Definitely doesn't look like anything on the Main Western

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Has anyone else seen the topic asking "One bus or two" surely that depends on how big your bridge is? :dontknow:

or have I got it wrong again. :scratchhead:

If it's the Harbour Bridge the correct answer is 3 coupled pairs of O-class trams, an R1 corridor car, 3 single deck buses and a 12 car single deck suburban electric... 

And the photolink to prove it (R/R1 to left, O-class to right)    Harbour Bridge trams

Edited by Ravenser
To add photolink
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Has anyone else seen the topic asking "One bus or two" surely that depends on how big your bridge is? :dontknow:

or have I got it wrong again. :scratchhead:

Customer focus: how many busses would Sir like?

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No running or modelling today, too busy designing a bridge that I can put my 60 or so model buses on. That will show them, one bus or two?

Good news today the Skating Polly wideo is out so enjoy Play House

It is a charming little ditty.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ravenser said:

A few old stamping grounds there , with 35 years worth of changes. What's the station at 1.08?? Context suggests it might be on the North Shore line (Town Hall + Bridge + North Sydney street sign) but I don't recognise it - unless it's Chatswood as rebuilt for the new cross connection line?? Definitely doesn't look like anything on the Main Western

I think it's Gordon, looking south from the footbridge, but I could be wrong.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ravenser said:

4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Chatswood is at 2.10 and again at 2.40.

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Then it's changed a huge amount from when Gordon was my local station:o  Looks like the fibro booking hall on the footbridge has gone then, and they've built a new ticket office on the loop platform with access from the car park??

I'm pretty sure it's not St Leonards , and that, Chatswood, and Gordon are the only stations on the N Shore line with a loop/side platform to terminate shortworkings 

Edited by Ravenser

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Then it's changed a huge amount from when Gordon was my local station:o  Looks like the fibro booking hall on the footbridge has gone then, and they've built a new ticket office on the loop platform with access from the car park??

I'm pretty sure it's not St Leonards , and that, Chatswood, and Gordon are the only stations on the N Shore line with a loop/side platform to terminate shortworkings 

3 hours ago, Ravenser said:

:o:o Sounds like there've been some fairly drastic changes along the North Shore line in the last 35 years

Definitely not St Leonards. I'm pretty certain it's Gordon. The booking office is on the bridge, behind the photographer. The building on the loop platform is the original, I believe, from when the line was doubled and electrified. It still has the preserved lever frame inside. There's a new multi-storey car park on the right with a bus interchange on top.

Chatswood changed dramatically in the mid-2000s when the station was expanded to four tracks for the Epping-Chatswood line, which in turn has just been converted to Sydney Metro, terminating at Chatswood. There are now no turnback facilities on the main lines at Chatswood. There is a reversing siding at Lindfield and the through centre track at Gordon. That's it between North Sydney and Hornsby. 

All a long way from Sheffield so I'll stop there!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Definitely not St Leonards. I'm pretty certain it's Gordon. The booking office is on the bridge, behind the photographer. The building on the loop platform is the original, I believe, from when the line was doubled and electrified. It still has the preserved lever frame inside. There's a new multi-storey car park on the right with a bus interchange on top.

Chatswood changed dramatically in the mid-2000s when the station was expanded to four tracks for the Epping-Chatswood line, which in turn has just been converted to Sydney Metro, terminating at Chatswood. There are now no turnback facilities on the main lines at Chatswood. There is a reversing siding at Lindfield and the through centre track at Gordon. That's it between North Sydney and Hornsby. 

Why?

I ain't gotta clue what you are on about but who cares. And I didn't have a clue what Asa was singing about but I do believe they are his own photos in the video. Carry on discussing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Why?

I ain't gotta clue what you are on about but who cares. And I didn't have a clue what Asa was singing about but I do believe they are his own photos in the video. Carry on discussing.

We are on about the railways of Sydney (obviously!) and specifically the North Shore Line which originally ran from Hornsby on the Main North line to the northern side of the harbour at Milson's Point, serving the ferry terminal to the city. When the Harbour Bridge opened in 1932 the line was diverted across the bridge and through the City Underground to join the rest of the network at Central Station. The old line is still there, serving the North Sydney car sidings at Lavender Bay as a branch from Waverton.

Anyone who wants to know more can visit https://www.nswrail.net/lines/show.php?name=NSW:north_shore

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi UDJ

All these changes that have happen since Ravenser was last in Sydney must be a bit of a shock. Well if you were to live in Braintree like he does change is at a more gentle pace, it happens one year and is reported on in the local paper "The Brainless and Witless Times" the following year.

Mustn't be too rude about Braintree as I once lived in Witham and we all know the only brain in Witham is the river that flows through it.

Talking about the Braintree and Witham Times Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel was a reporter for them before becoming a wandering minstrel. 

One of my most favorite songs ever.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

There is actually a tenuous connection with Sheffield. Lord Sheffield (of Sheffield Park, Bluebell Railway fame) made a gift to the NSW Cricket Association who used it to purchase the Sheffield Shield, the prize in Australia's domestic first-class cricket competition.

• Informative/Useful 4

54 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The platform building is certainly original - in my day the side platform (where the new building is) was rarely used - only to terminate a short-working - and had no building or cover . Everything up and down that ran through called at the island platform

I've a feeling there was an old multistory carpark on the right when I knew it - but I don't remember a bus interchange . Frankly there were no buses to interchange : the furthest north the Government buses came was route 207 to East Lindfield, and there were a few private buses locally (they supplied two school runs from Pymble station into St. Ives morning and evening)

The signal box was still in use when I was there but the signalmen at Gordon kept the blinds down and all you could hear was the block bells. Whereas at Chatswood they worked with the blinds up, and you could watch your train approaching from the track circuit lights on the panel

I'm pretty sure when I knew it Lindfield was just an island platform - the reversing siding you mention sounds like a replacement for the loop at Chatswood (My recollection was that it was just plain double track north of Gordon until you reached Hornsby and the junction).

When I was first there most of the trains were red single deckers , some of them pre WW2 , and quite a few still had angular windows and metal pull-down blinds. Hand operated sliding doors - which were usually left open while the train was running .....

Edited by Ravenser
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

The platform building is certainly original - in my day the side platform (where the new building is) was rarely used - only to terminate a short-working - and had no building or cover . Everything up and down that ran through called at the island platform

Off-peak that is still what happens. In peak hours Up trains use the side platform and the centre track is for reversing short workings from the City.

10 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I've a feeling there was an old multistory carpark on the right when I knew it - but I don't remember a bus interchange. Frankly there were no buses to interchange : the furthest north the Government buses came was route 207 to East Lindfield, and there were a few private buses locally (they supplied two school runs from Pymble station into St. Ives morning and evening).

The old one's still there - the dirty-grey concrete structure slightly further away on the right. The newer one is just visible behind the Down line. Not sure about bus routes I'm afraid.

A good friend, who's one of my operating team, is building an H0 model of Gordon in pre-electrification days when it was still single track.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I'm pretty sure when I knew it Lindfield was just an island platform - the reversing siding you mention sounds like a replacement for the loop at Chatswood (My recollection was that it was just plain double track north of Gordon until you reached Hornsby and the junction).

The old Up line at Lindfield is now a dead-end reversing track. Up trains use a new side platform. You are right, from Gordon to Hornsby is just plain double track.