Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Update on cutting bits up, I have the sides cut for a Gresley SK, TSO (teak body), and FK (GE shortie). I have three old Hornby Gresleys left and hopefully enough parts to make a BSO (6 bays) and a BSO (4 bays). With the planned Thomo TSO a nice broken down DMU replacement train is in the offing. 

Photos possibly tomorrow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Clive

May I ask thee a question about coaches?

Bachmann have a 60ft porthole open which I initially thought was Second Class - e.g. (T)SO. That is until I inadvertently bought one whilst visiting family at the other end of the country. It turned out to be an open First (FO). It had 2 + 1 seating but interestingly had no curtains. The model has now been returned from whence it was purchased courtesy of Royal Mail.

I'd always thought that First Class opens were more of a modern concept introduced around the time that Second Class compartment stock started to disappear. The only open First of an older vintage - the model is offered in Blood & Custard - that I can think of would be the opens used for dining although I'd have expected curtains with these.

Do you know how common open Firsts were in the early fifties?

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Clive

May I ask thee a question about coaches?

Bachmann have a 60ft porthole open which I initially thought was Second Class - e.g. (T)SO. That is until I inadvertently bought one whilst visiting family at the other end of the country. It turned out to be an open First (FO). It had 2 + 1 seating but interestingly had no curtains. The model has now been returned from whence it was purchased courtesy of Royal Mail.

I'd always thought that First Class opens were more of a modern concept introduced around the time that Second Class compartment stock started to disappear. The only open First of an older vintage - the model is offered in Blood & Custard - that I can think of would be the opens used for dining although I'd have expected curtains with these.

Do you know how common open Firsts were in the early fifties?

Hi Ray

The LMS didn't build too many first opens of all body designs and those that were built were mainly used for dinning purposes but not branded as such. Photos in the Jenkinson and Essery LMS coaches books indicate they should have curtains.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that.

I didn't even give it a second glance - which would probably have revealed the First lozenges on the windows - because there were no curtains.

• RMweb Premium

No modelling today, or running. I have done some research on LMS and LNER coaches, and headcodes.

Tonight's songs come from one of the best ever rockers

I like the hipster audience, a good cross section of young Americans and isn't it funny to watch a fat man dance especially as he isn't middle class and  white.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I am such a lair, I did do some model making yesterday, well deconstruction.  One of the secondhand part built Kirk LNER coaches had very warped sides at the center of the coach they had gone in about 5mm at the top. So I thought if I were to remove them and place them under both volumes of the Hugh Longworth coach books they might straighten out. I gently cut away at the bottom of the sides and floor and cut one side away from the ends. as soon as it was free it went as straight as a new side. With the other one as soon as I cut away one end it went ping and straightened out as much as I expected it to. The previous owner had been a bit heavy handed by the looks of things when he removed the side from the sprue. I am amazed that once removed they straighten out on their own.

Will the sides bow in again on reassembly? What made them bow in or why did they? When I do remake the body I will insert some spacers while the glue sets.

A wee bit of Dream Wife

The drummer looks like a old school friend who because of his looks was known by the nickname as Granny.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am such a lair, I did do some model making yesterday, well deconstruction.  One of the secondhand part built Kirk LNER coaches had very warped sides at the center of the coach they had gone in about 5mm at the top. So I thought if I were to remove them and place them under both volumes of the Hugh Longworth coach books they might straighten out. I gently cut away at the bottom of the sides and floor and cut one side away from the ends. as soon as it was free it went as straight as a new side. With the other one as soon as I cut away one end it went ping and straightened out as much as I expected it to. The previous owner had been a bit heavy handed by the looks of things when he removed the side from the sprue. I am amazed that once removed they straighten out on their own.

Will the sides bow in again on reassembly? What made them bow in or why did they? When I do remake the body I will insert some spacers while the glue sets.

A wee bit of Dream Wife

The drummer looks like a old school friend who because of his looks was known by the nickname as Granny.

Hi Clive,

is it possible the sides are not exactly true and square?  Or maybe the ends were attached to the floor first and the sides force-fitted?

roja

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi Clive,

is it possible the sides are not exactly true and square?  Or maybe the ends were attached to the floor first and the sides force-fitted?

roja

Hi Roja

I was thinking on the same sort of lines. Could the ends not being square with the sides and floor have pushed the sides in. It was the surprise when they pinged straight again.

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Fully disassembled and both sides are flat. Something wasn't right. I am going to leave them for a few days before rebuilding it.

Hi Clive,

I wonder if the original builder assembled them all in one go then used rubber bands to hold it altogether as the glue dried?  The top of the ends could be easily forced inwards causing the sides to bow.  If all the parts are square and the correct size it would seem possible.

Roja

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

Hi Clive,

I wonder if the original builder assembled them all in one go then used rubber bands to hold it altogether as the glue dried?  The top of the ends could be easily forced inwards causing the sides to bow.  If all the parts are square and the correct size it would seem possible.

Roja

Hi Roja

That could be a cause. It is something I have never even considered doing.

• RMweb Premium

No modelling as yet today to busy with the 'orses paddock. And it is called retirement.

Anyhow this morning You Tube suggest I listen to this band from Mexico. I viewed a complete performance, many of their tunes are sung in English but the one that caught my attention was this one.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No modelling as yet today to busy with the 'orses paddock. And it is called retirement.

Anyhow this morning You Tube suggest I listen to this band from Mexico. I viewed a complete performance, many of their tunes are sung in English but the one that caught my attention was this one.

Enjoy.

ENJOY? I did try mate, SORRY.:nono:

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I did get to do a little modelling and running yesterday.

I have now cut the sides for 5 Gresley carriages from the "spare" Hornby shorties. A SK (all door type), a GE short FK, a TSO (teak body), a BSO (6 bay) and a BSO (4 bay). The sides of the Kirk SK have stayed flat.

Yesterdays song was by this charming bunch of guys from Ireland,

Note the name of the band Fontaines D.C. ........not DCC.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I did get to do a little modelling and running yesterday.

I have now cut the sides for 5 Gresley carriages from the "spare" Hornby shorties. A SK (all door type), a GE short FK, a TSO (teak body), a BSO (6 bay) and a BSO (4 bay). The sides of the Kirk SK have stayed flat.

Yesterdays song was by this charming bunch of guys from Ireland,

Note the name of the band Fontaines D.C. ........not DCC.

Why is there only one wire coming out of his mike then?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Some photos of what a vandal who has cut up some nice but not accurate Hornby LNER coaches to make types that cannot be bought RTR (well one can).

They are being presented in the order I destroyed the old coaches.

282906047_SKalldoor.jpg.7c87ec3c5c55c41219e75e45c2c17e9d.jpg

Second Corridor, all door diagram 23 or 115.

1183444007_FKGEshortie.jpg.cb57545d6bd66f250051856d9d8e4a03.jpg

First Corridor, Great Eastern 52 ft shortie, diagram 140. The corridor windows are a bout 1.5mm  too short but as they worked out in the right place I am not going alter them.

TSO.jpg.814e1b8b6d4fd92b7c865a7fcf8734bb.jpg

Tourist Second Open Diagram 186 or 302. I have the sliding ventilators to make.

2030362633_BSO6bay.jpg.6f2f9533685e273a68095a6d2c6e4caf.jpg

Brake Second Open (6 bays) Diagram 196 or 303. I have the sliding ventilators to make.

1338238553_BSO4bay.jpg.3a1ef98f0b0818bffa98b16e75c85016.jpg

Brake Second Open (4 bay) Diagram 191.  I have the sliding ventilators to make.

If you have shares in Millput the divvy may be good this year. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 1