Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

I've posted this one before, but not on here. the LNER Tourist stock lasted in to the 50's maybe longer, this is from Triang, Thompson coaches.

DSCF3251.JPG

DSCF3252.JPG

Hi Terry

I did consider using Tri-ang Thomo's for tourist stock but thought the windows looked lower that on Gresley stock. having seen yours I'm off to have a rethink. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Some photos of what a vandal who has cut up some nice but not accurate Hornby LNER coaches to make types that cannot be bought RTR (well one can).

They are being presented in the order I destroyed the old coaches.

282906047_SKalldoor.jpg.7c87ec3c5c55c41219e75e45c2c17e9d.jpg

Second Corridor, all door diagram 23 or 115.

1183444007_FKGEshortie.jpg.cb57545d6bd66f250051856d9d8e4a03.jpg

First Corridor, Great Eastern 52 ft shortie, diagram 140. The corridor windows are a bout 1.5mm  too short but as they worked out in the right place I am not going alter them.

TSO.jpg.814e1b8b6d4fd92b7c865a7fcf8734bb.jpg

Tourist Second Open Diagram 186 or 302. I have the sliding ventilators to make.

2030362633_BSO6bay.jpg.6f2f9533685e273a68095a6d2c6e4caf.jpg

Brake Second Open (6 bays) Diagram 196 or 303. I have the sliding ventilators to make.

1338238553_BSO4bay.jpg.3a1ef98f0b0818bffa98b16e75c85016.jpg

Brake Second Open (4 bay) Diagram 191.  I have the sliding ventilators to make.

If you have shares in Millput the divvy may be good this year. 

Clive

Your challenge now is complete those coaches before Mr Bodgit finishes his latest layout!   :jester:

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Clive

Your challenge now is complete those coaches before Mr Bodgit finishes his latest layout!   :jester:

Hi Ray

I think he has already won. I still have locos I started in 1985 which are not finished.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ray

I think he has already won. I still have locos I started in 1985 which are not finished.

Hi Clive,

I have projects of such vintage and yet I'm only 49.

Just think should they still not be finished when I'm your age how many long years they will have languished in a box !

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I have projects of such vintage and yet I'm only 49.

Just think should they still not be finished when I'm your age how many long years they will have languished in a box !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

I have had to replace the box as it fell apart. Progress. :good:

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You and me both!

I sometimes consider the possibility of invoking the Clive and Steve no Yes ruling to see if things improve any.

Mike.

Just for you Mike, a nice Spanish bunch of ladies

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That was better, had a 60's ish feeling to it.

Although in the 1960s they would have all been in an MGB, whereas in the 21st century their budget only stretched to hiring a Transit Minibus.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

For the first time in ages I am having a running session. I have just dispatched a parcels to Newcastle , via York where the rear three vans are taken off and are forwarded to Scarborough. The Newcastle train picks up more vans at Darlington which come from Middlesborough. The Ivatt class 4 2-6-0 is replaced at York. Traversing the mainline at the same time is an express for Liverpool via Manchester which today is hauled by a Peak class loco.

To make things complete I have Laura, Betsy and Mary to keep me company. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

For the first time in ages I am having a running session. I have just dispatched a parcels to Newcastle , via York where the rear three vans are taken off and are forwarded to Scarborough. The Newcastle train picks up more vans at Darlington which come from Middlesborough. The Ivatt class 4 2-6-0 is replaced at York. Traversing the mainline at the same time is an express for Liverpool via Manchester which today is hauled by a Peak class loco.

To make things complete I have Laura, Betsy and Mary to keep me company. 

Better get that track cleaned before next week...………………………..:clapping::bomb_mini:

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi everyone, here is a song that is very relevant to many of us. 

Please only share with your partner if you feel brave enough. 

Brilliant :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having a daytime operating session. Why when I make silly operator errors do other things go wrong. So I didn't change the points on the Manchester sidings cross over.  After correcting things why did the 37 hauled Grimsby to Manchester decide to come apart in the middle? It has done five more laps without splitting . It do look good running the other way to a eight car DMU. 

The Kirk Gresely with the banana sides has been reassembled. I cleaned up all the old glue, it looked like superglue. It did try to resume is old shape so I quickly made some plastic card spreaders, once the solvent had set hard I took them out and the coach has straight sides. :good:

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 05/07/2019 at 20:44, Clive Mortimore said:

Some photos of what a vandal who has cut up some nice but not accurate Hornby LNER coaches to make types that cannot be bought RTR (well one can).

They are being presented in the order I destroyed the old coaches.

282906047_SKalldoor.jpg.7c87ec3c5c55c41219e75e45c2c17e9d.jpg

Second Corridor, all door diagram 23 or 115.

1183444007_FKGEshortie.jpg.cb57545d6bd66f250051856d9d8e4a03.jpg

First Corridor, Great Eastern 52 ft shortie, diagram 140. The corridor windows are a bout 1.5mm  too short but as they worked out in the right place I am not going alter them.

TSO.jpg.814e1b8b6d4fd92b7c865a7fcf8734bb.jpg

Tourist Second Open Diagram 186 or 302. I have the sliding ventilators to make.

2030362633_BSO6bay.jpg.6f2f9533685e273a68095a6d2c6e4caf.jpg

Brake Second Open (6 bays) Diagram 196 or 303. I have the sliding ventilators to make.

1338238553_BSO4bay.jpg.3a1ef98f0b0818bffa98b16e75c85016.jpg

Brake Second Open (4 bay) Diagram 191.  I have the sliding ventilators to make.

If you have shares in Millput the divvy may be good this year. 

Just out of interest are there any other sensible 52' GE Section possibilities?   

I have far too many other unfinished/unstarted projects , including about 10 coaches - but my platforms are short, a 52' corridor coach with Pullman gangways would be useful - and I really can't justify an FK in a world of 2 car sets. The idea of making authentic Gresleys out of the old Hornby coaches is satisfying - and I somehow don't think we will ever see a route to 52' GE stock that doesn't involve £90 and a GCSE in soldering now that Kirk's kits have been swallowed by a sinkhole in Somerset

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Just out of interest are there any other sensible 52' GE Section possibilities?   

I have far too many other unfinished/unstarted projects , including about 10 coaches - but my platforms are short, a 52' corridor coach with Pullman gangways would be useful - and I really can't justify an FK in a world of 2 car sets. The idea of making authentic Gresleys out of the old Hornby coaches is satisfying - and I somehow don't think we will ever see a route to 52' GE stock that doesn't involve £90 and a GCSE in soldering now that Kirk's kits have been swallowed by a sinkhole in Somerset

Hi

The old Hornby shoties with a bit of thinking around them can be made into all the types of the 52 ft gangwayed stock. The CK could be made into a diagram 25 or 141 TK or a diagram 9 CK. I have made a BTK diagram 146, the diagrams 41 and 42 can also be made they didn't have a ducket.

The open coaches would be a tad harder and use up only the corridor side of the coach. My 61 ft opens needed some infills from the compartment side so I have loads of bits of compartment that are not useful ....yet. 

• Informative/Useful 2

46 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi

The old Hornby shorties with a bit of thinking around them can be made into all the types of the 52 ft gangwayed stock. The CK could be made into a diagram 25 or 141 TK or a diagram 9 CK. I have made a BTK diagram 146, the diagrams 41 and 42 can also be made they didn't have a ducket.

The open coaches would be a tad harder and use up only the corridor side of the coach. My 61 ft opens needed some infills from the compartment side so I have loads of bits of compartment that are not useful ....yet. 

Hmmm - in the cupboard is a second hand BSL kit for  a 1935 steel CL from the sets for E Lincs semi-fasts. I've never come up with a decent idea for a suitable partner, but a BTK might do it  ( An articulated pair of BS/S from an etched kit at over £100 fits neither my pocket, nor my skills level nor any of the platforms)

Although I picked up a rather cheap "new second-hand"  Hornby BCK at Ally Pally, there's no doubt it + the Hachette Mk1 are a bit long for comfort in the centre platform - which was designed to take a 2 car 23m Sprinter, just. Stock/platform restrictions on a Minories style layout, and is in trouble with a 2-6-4T + 61'6 + 64'    Set 6

A 52' BTK  for the Mk1 +  a 52' TK for the BCK would solve the length issue - at the cost of ending up with 3x the number of sets I need to operate the "funny trains" period

(But the MTK Porthole BSK to go with the Dapol LMS CK is probably the next coach project off the rank - once the 155 and 128 are finally sorted out. And maybe the Pacer...)

Cut-and-shut may be a better route for the Tourist stock than the old Mailcoach kits . Having somehow finished one - the kit was no great loss to the hobby

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

There is a Kirk Artic going on Ebay.

Cheers Phil 

I had a butchers, not too sure it is a Twin Third. I will have a sleep on it. 

After having long trains running around today I have a single Gloucester motor parcels van gently meandering around the layout...... breath in and relax......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been experimenting with the camera on the phone thingy I was given.

002a.jpg.71cd730a34cc916a48dff6e0e45543e2.jpg

A view of the platform ends.

003a.jpg.871555f6f503fb5e70397f8b0f383c7d.jpg

The other end. The Type 3 has arrived with the Hull to Manchester train another Type 3 will forward it on part two of its journey. The Calder valley sets are waiting to depart to Preston.

004a.jpg.8e54afb4072a2799ecc50d7e06cf02ab.jpg

The station pilot, a 4F resting between a Met-Cam on a Leeds service and a Derby unit on a Barnsley local.

007a.jpg.c5a890a373c5293bb06fa75056a3f766.jpg

Diesels being serviced in the new stabling point.

008a.jpg.b97ac3af9993cdb2a898b374f6d56072.jpg

A view over to the old GNR loco yard which now sees steam locos from the LMR as well.

009a.jpg.9a919c46780b6bf42aef5c43285d501d.jpg

The goods yard looks busy, may be slightly less lorries, they need to have loads, the wagons and vans need open doors and there need to be some people milling about.

010a.jpg.a8999b3e6db930b4e5faa5dba435757d.jpg

The Manchester sidings

011a.jpg.409411705c2cb8b25c6c5a651fd9d92b.jpg

The Doncaster sidings.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Most of today was burning ragwort, so in between filling the incinerator I thought I would see if I could strip the paint off one of my Hornby Doublo super detailed  BGs. I acquired 4 of these in a carrier bag full of part made parcels coaches from a very nice chap at the Glasgow show. He has started to repaint them into Blue-grey, and not too bad a job.

012a.jpg.c6e0050c608ad9c618404ce410334aa7.jpg

As you know that is far too modern for me. On two of them he had not applied the grey so it was one of these I thought I would try and remove the blue hoping the original printed sides would be OK. 

015a.jpg.07021f5305aa788afd8cc1f1002a34f7.jpg

Well, things didn't go as planned. The original came off and the blue as you can see. The eldest said that if I left the paint stripper on for about an hour it should start to have an effect on the blue. 019a.jpg.cafe38950b93affb77a92beabfdd58fe.jpg

Those who know the the old Doublo Mk1 coaches will know the underframe isn't up to much. While pondering how to rewheel them I remembered I had some surplus Mk1 suburban underframes where I had used the bodies on EMUs. So I mounted the above on the Bachmann chassis and it is quite an improvement.

Sorry about the light reflecting off the tinplate of the coach but I wanted to show the underframe off.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

At least it is not rusting Clive. Restore the door details and you're almost there!. Save the toilet filler handrails for something else, the BGs had straight ones like the suburban coaches. The door windows need slight increase in size if I remember rightly.

• Like 2