Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The Cramps were one of the best rock and roll bands ever, it was a very sad day when Lux died.

Certainly one of the more memorable live experiences that I've seen.

When I saw them (about 1992) there was a really old looking gent in the audience, seemingly about 80 with full suit shirt and tie on, really into The Cramps. It reminded me never to make any assumptions about someone based on appearance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

When I saw them (about 1992) there was a really old looking gent in the audience, seemingly about 80 with full suit shirt and tie on, really into The Cramps. It reminded me never to make any assumptions about someone based on appearance.

Might've been their Dad...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Work continues on the LNER coaches....why am I making so many? Found another set of Gresley bogies, they are Ian Kirk ones from a Brake Tender ( I think), they needed a repair but seem to run OK. So hopefully I now have enough Gresley bogies for my coaches and the EMUs. Photos will come a little later.

The Tri-ang/Hornby Thompson coach sides are to Mk 1 profile, I experimented with a off cut in adding a turn-under, only filing away a small amount and it does make a difference, so I might do it to the SO I am making. It won't be 100% but hopefully it will appear better than the coach having a Mk1 profile. 

No running today, didn't feel like it.

We haven't heard from these ladies for a while.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Some snaps of the off cut of Tri-ang/Hornby Thompson coach side I have tried to modify, compared with a bit of un-modified coach.

I think it does improve the look, what do you all think?

001.jpg.93ea66178935b650dbabce7ed4b139fe.jpg

003.jpg.f1ada85c87a019360f7e86cb1c5d10d3.jpg

004.jpg.8888885fd34f3c7d2c96ffb929f9e57c.jpg

I was going to post "that must be an open coach" but I won't, as it would have been too silly.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

35 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Some snaps of the off cut of Tri-ang/Hornby Thompson coach side I have tried to modify, compared with a bit of un-modified coach.

Bit draughty!:notme::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

I'm guessing that you're referring to the sweep under in the curve, Clive. If so looks much better with your work.

IMG_0766_copyweb.jpg.090b25d3ce8889ea64d1bf361ccf96f8.jpg

Similar to Bulleid's profile I think, here's a pic to illustrate the difference, Bulleid southern stock v's Mk1, taken at Corfe Castle in May;

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

OK LNER experts, before I go on to Sir's thread and look a pillock. Coach battery boxes. I have reached the point where I am reading the destructions of the Kirk kits I am building and Ian says that the battery boxes go on one side only. Photos of gangwayed carriages in me books show they are on both sides except on full brakes. I am correct in thinking they go on both sides and I need to make some more (there isn't enough to go round other wise). I know I need to make more for the Hornby cut and shuts.

On 21/07/2019 at 11:02, Clive Mortimore said:

The big problem will be getting the profile consistent on several coaches. Fine if you have one in a rake, not so fine if you have two

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

OK LNER experts, before I go on to Sir's thread and look a pillock. Coach battery boxes. I have reached the point where I am reading the destructions of the Kirk kits I am building and Ian says that the battery boxes go on one side only. Photos of gangwayed carriages in me books show they are on both sides except on full brakes. I am correct in thinking they go on both sides and I need to make some more (there isn't enough to go round other wise). I know I need to make more for the Hornby cut and shuts.

Well I always think they go on both sides except possibly for Full Brakes, although people do model them on one side only sometimes.  I just don't think I've ever seen a picture of an LNER coach with battery boxes not visible on the side nearest the camera!  If I'm wrong, you're not the only one who'll look a pillock!  I'd also be interested to know the right answer, though.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

According to the instructions for the NGS Gresley full brake I'm currently building it only has one but does mention other Gresley coaches have two.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, 31A said:

Well I always think they go on both sides except possibly for Full Brakes, although people do model them on one side only sometimes.  I just don't think I've ever seen a picture of an LNER coach with battery boxes not visible on the side nearest the camera!  If I'm wrong, you're not the only one who'll look a pillock!  I'd also be interested to know the right answer, though.

Hi Steve

Looking at the books I have I also haven't found a Gresley gangway (vestibule) coach without a battery box facing the camera. Thompsons appear to only have them on one side, as do some non-gangway.

20 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

According to the instructions for the NGS Gresley full brake I'm currently building it only has one but does mention other Gresley coaches have two.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

That is very handy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

The big problem will be getting the profile consistent on several coaches. Fine if you have one in a rake, not so fine if you have two

Hi

Getting multiple coaches consistent surely depends on the skill of the modeller........I have to get each side looking the same all the way along first before thinking of a second coach. But I am going to have a go.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

No action this evening. No work on the coaches. See what I done was bunged a photo of the control panel on Sir's thread and mentioned the signals were still in their box, so tonight I got out the signals I planned to install until I have built the fancy LMS 1929 designed ones. Well I was not going to use them but use parts of them for the said LMS modern signalling. Change of mind I am going to get at least some basic signalling in place sooner than later. I will keep you all posted.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No action this evening. No work on the coaches. See what I done was bunged a photo of the control panel on Sir's thread and mentioned the signals were still in their box, so tonight I got out the signals I planned to install until I have built the fancy LMS 1929 designed ones. Well I was not going to use them but use parts of them for the said LMS modern signalling. Change of mind I am going to get at least some basic signalling in place sooner than later. I will keep you all posted.

I expect to see FULL WORKING SIGNALS when I come to visit next Monday Clive, haha.:o:good:

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I expect to see FULL WORKING SIGNALS when I come to visit next Monday Clive, haha.:o:good:

As you pass what remains of Manby airfield you will notice the pigs still waiting to take off.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Changing the subject, why do people talk about locomotives as having a life?

"Its life was tragically ended on the 21st May 1963 when it was withdrawn from some place and ended up being cut up 4 months later somewhere else."

It is an inanimate object, it is mainly a lump of metal, that spent more years as a piece of rock until some blighter dug it up.

While on my soap box, why do middle class writers romanticise  railway work. It was hard, not that well paid, long hours and at times very dangerous.

• Agree 4

37 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

"Its life was tragically ended on the 21st May 1963 when it was withdrawn from some place and ended up being cut up 4 months later somewhere else."

It is an inanimate object, it is mainly a lump of metal, that spent more years as a piece of rock until some blighter dug it up.

While on my soap box, why do middle class writers romanticise  railway work. It was hard, not that well paid, long hours and at times very dangerous.

Hi,

blame it on the Victorians!  They could anthropomorphise anything and hard, dirty work was considered heroic and good for the soul, especially if it benefited your "betters"!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

To be fair to middle class writers, (not a sentence I ever thought I'd write) a fair few railway men romanticise working on the railways and make the labour to be heroic and honest.  Adrian Vaughan, Peter Beale, Harold Glasson, A E Durrant, P N Townend and Gerry Fiennes are all writers I've read in the past year I would put into this category.  The appeal to a middle aged desk jockey working in Fiction (education others might call it) its powerful stuff. I'd like to have tried a proper job like that at least when i was younger.  My work is airy fairy nonsense and yet the stress of it is making some of my colleagues ill and killing others... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ain't it hot chaps!

Things to do when its hot (is it hot up north too?) 

1991334304_MissO060V2.jpg.d23c6583b1fecc4c2f1a347c484b2bd2.jpg

Our village scare crow competition a few years ago - we won! 

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Clive,

I used to work at Riley & Sons in Bury and if the puffer nutters found out how much of their cherished preserved kettles ended up in the scrap skip after an overhaul, (the scrapped bits being replaced by Romanian, Chinese or where ever it comes from these days steel), they would have dickie-fits !!!

1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

blame it on the Victorians!  They could anthropomorphise anything and hard, dirty work was considered heroic and good for the soul, especially if it benefited your "betters"!

Roja

Hi Roja,

If hard work was good for you the rich and greedy would have kept it for themselves !!!!!

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Because to many of the men that drove and fired them they did have a life. Like the Enfield Town men who went to    the shed every Sunday morning in there own time to keep their N7’s immaculately clean, out of sheer pride in the job.

Or the Nine Elms men, like Clive Groom who wrote the following quotes in his book, from his diary entries from 1964- 67 :-

“What a shame that the days of the big Pacifics are clearly numbered. I think everyone dreads the end of steam.” 

“ There is a unique relationship between a fireman and his driver , that will be completely destroyed by the diesel”

”Our Clapham engine West Country Brentnor, was especially dear to me as we took her away that night , her soul still intact”

“To handle a big pacific like this is a real pleasure. She accelerated better than any Crompton. She tore up the bank and maintained 85mph effortlessly and endlessly, with Frank firing nicely. To drive engines like this must be the summit of my life as an engine driver. No matter how hard I try to think of diesels as quite interesting, just one trip on a good Pacific like this make those thoughts hollow mockery and an exercise in self deception “ 

The a year after the end of steam :-

“My job is completely featureless now. Almost every driver when booked to shunt in Nine Elms goods yard makes the trek to the old shed. Freely we admit to having tears in our eyes. Such rough , undisciplined rogues, but with such affection for our old home.No-one calls a diesel or electric “her” or “she” , that strange convention seems to have died on 9th July 1967.” 

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jazzer said:

Because to many of the men that drove and fired them they did have a life. Like the Enfield Town men who went to    the shed every Sunday morning in there own time to keep their N7’s immaculately clean, out of sheer pride in the job.

Or the Nine Elms men, like Clive Groom who wrote the following quotes in his book, from his diary entries from 1964- 67 :-

“What a shame that the days of the big Pacifics are clearly numbered. I think everyone dreads the end of steam.” 

“ There is a unique relationship between a fireman and his driver , that will be completely destroyed by the diesel”

”Our Clapham engine West Country Brentnor, was especially dear to me as we took her away that night , her soul still intact”

“To handle a big pacific like this is a real pleasure. She accelerated better than any Crompton. She tore up the bank and maintained 85mph effortlessly and endlessly, with Frank firing nicely. To drive engines like this must be the summit of my life as an engine driver. No matter how hard I try to think of diesels as quite interesting, just one trio on a good Pacific like this make those thoughts hollow mockery and an exercise in self deception “ 

The a year after the end of steam :-

“My job is completely featureless now. Almost every driver when booked to shunt in Nine Elms goods yard makes the trek to the old shed. Freely we admit to having tears in our eyes. Such rough , undisciplined rogues, but with such affection for our old home.No-one calls a diesel or electric “her” or “she” , that strange convention seems to have died on 9th July 1967.” 

I knew a chap who had been a fireman, his regular driver would say two or three words to him if he was lucky. The driver also hung his cap on pressure gauge, and told my acquaintance that he would learn how to regulate boiler pressure not by looking at the gauge but by listening to the safety valves. My friend was so pleased when he got his call up papers and after coming out the army with a driving licence went and got a job as a lorry driver. How many other railway workers were like old Jock.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1