Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

I thought the difference in the front end was just the difference between the North Road and Stivvies builds.

Les

Hi Les

I don't know that sort of thing. I was jokingly trying justify why I called a L1 a Peppercorn loco. Mind you I am learning about LNER locos.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I done some modelling. Working on the staging yard and installing rubbery trackbed...

20190801_181647.jpg

You're right, the trackbed looks rubbery.

Don't worry, I'll let myself out.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

You might have noticed I have a liking for female bands, it was listening to this lady that made me realise that there are a lot of talented female rock artist who get by passed by the record industry......Patti Smith is a goddess

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Reading the thread on the class 74, no I am not going SR, Ian Olddudders made a comment that I think applies to me. 

I have just run an unpainted Hornby class 37 which I am modifying the body on a Bachmann chassis (from their disastrous early 37/4)  pulling a parcels train  composed of a variety of manufactures, including old Lima models. From the far side of the layout the much better detailed Bachmann GUV and the older cruder Lima models both look like GUVs. Thanks Ian helping me define where I now place myself as a modeller. Reliability of the track, locos, electrics and rolling stock are more important than fine detail or the latest gadget when operating a layout. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Reading the thread on the class 74, no I am not going SR, Ian Olddudders made a comment that I think applies to me. 

I have just run an unpainted Hornby class 37 which I am modifying the body on a Bachmann chassis (from their disastrous early 37/4)  pulling a parcels train  composed of a variety of manufactures, including old Lima models. From the far side of the layout the much better detailed Bachmann GUV and the older cruder Lima models both look like GUVs. Thanks Ian helping me define where I now place myself as a modeller. Reliability of the track, locos, electrics and rolling stock are more important than fine detail or the latest gadget when operating a layout. 

Flushglaze, a lick of paint and some work on the bogies/wheels make all the difference to Lima coaches and vans.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Could someone please help me. I keep looking but these two experts who seem to be having some fun at my expense don't seem to have working train sets, well not ones where they are showing their expertise. If you can find their layouts please let me know I could learn from them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have both Lima and Bachman GUVs in identical liveries too. Apart from the couplings they look near enough the same to me, especially when just passing through at speed. Same goes for Replica and Bachmann BGs.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Could someone please help me. I keep looking but these two experts who seem to be having some fun at my expense don't seem to have working train sets, well not ones where they are showing their expertise. If you can find their layouts please let me know I could learn from them. 

Hmmmm, having read it, it's a tricky one that and I have no intention of getting involved in that thread (there's some recognised law about arguments on the internet, basically no-one ever wins and no one ever changes their belief so I try and avoid them). However, from a standpoint as an electronic engineer and doing what I do; yes I've worked on many equipments using common returns for different power supplies, yes it's possible to design model railways to do the same no matter what the power source, but no I don't do it and prefer to keep both rails isolated same as you do Clive. The concept of common return is simple enough to implement in my mind and I could design it in to things I build, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone building a layout that doesn't have a good understanding of electronics; isolating both rails is a much safer option in that event, relies more on logical common sense to implement, and is easier for the less experienced to locate faults on and not mess up when building.

Indepth electronics is not a black and white concept when you start connecting multiple supplies to a common return, which can be very different to a common earth! A good example is the neutral wire in mains; depending on the load on the other phases of your local supply your neutral in a mains plug is potentially not 0v when compared to earth. A common return for a model layout is fine, low voltage, and modern controllers have lots of protection built in. Most of the time it would be no issue at all, but as a layout plan expands and the more items are added to a common return, the greater the potential for a mistake. And I'm not going to touch how much current could be in a common return on a large set up!

The reason I don't use it in my designs boils down to ease of fault finding! (I've worked on too many 'clever' designs that are a right pita when something breaks). With my electronics head on, the main reason your old boss probably said not to use common return is idiot protection. Done correctly/safely there would be no current flow into any other control device of any type. Done incorrectly/unsafely then things can break, catch fire, lethal potential difference to bare rails, etc. So, idiot proof instructions!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 31/07/2019 at 23:03, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been trying out the phone camera again. Some general shots from the station end to start with.

004a.jpg.d8b16688c8c42a22b1cf153426b4303c.jpg

005a.jpg.9d77f19d797f14f284f08bbcbc02a2ab.jpg

007a.jpg.74ae09a3b148b0ab04e1edfb2d0f2677.jpg

010a.jpg.1cedfcccbde8ead7f7a2a762459b6c04.jpg

Cracking pictures. For an imaginary location it has a remarkably prototypical feel to it, even in its incomplete state.

As an expert on camera phones can you explain in words of one syllable , how you get to picture from the phone to the thread, in terms that someone with the I/T skills of a snail (i.e. me) can follow? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's lovely film from Kings Cross, Clive, but the soundtrack is like something the BBC put on a railway film in the 1980s.  The light 47 sounds like a 31 and the Deltic is either a Class 40 or a couple of 20s, can't decide which.  But how the station has changed! It's going to change more over the August Bank Holiday, when it will gain extra tracks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Clive, FWIW I do remember some years ago when I was new to RMweb, having something of an altercation with one of these chaps. He was insistent that my layout couldn't work properly, told me how to rewire it, and said I had his deepest sympathy for my mess - this despite me putting it in writing that it worked near on perfectly (sorry if that sounds conceited), and had done so for over a decade! Oh, and of course I wasn't really a player if I wasn't DCC.

Lesson drawn - don't even bother with these characters. Make your point and leave them to it. As you've proved with your layout (and obviously others before), you've actually done it and it works. So xxxx off!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Hmmmm, having read it, it's a tricky one that and I have no intention of getting involved in that thread (there's some recognised law about arguments on the internet, basically no-one ever wins and no one ever changes their belief so I try and avoid them). However, from a standpoint as an electronic engineer and doing what I do; yes I've worked on many equipments using common returns for different power supplies, yes it's possible to design model railways to do the same no matter what the power source, but no I don't do it and prefer to keep both rails isolated same as you do Clive. The concept of common return is simple enough to implement in my mind and I could design it in to things I build, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone building a layout that doesn't have a good understanding of electronics; isolating both rails is a much safer option in that event, relies more on logical common sense to implement, and is easier for the less experienced to locate faults on and not mess up when building.

Indepth electronics is not a black and white concept when you start connecting multiple supplies to a common return, which can be very different to a common earth! A good example is the neutral wire in mains; depending on the load on the other phases of your local supply your neutral in a mains plug is potentially not 0v when compared to earth. A common return for a model layout is fine, low voltage, and modern controllers have lots of protection built in. Most of the time it would be no issue at all, but as a layout plan expands and the more items are added to a common return, the greater the potential for a mistake. And I'm not going to touch how much current could be in a common return on a large set up!

The reason I don't use it in my designs boils down to ease of fault finding! (I've worked on too many 'clever' designs that are a right pita when something breaks). With my electronics head on, the main reason your old boss probably said not to use common return is idiot protection. Done correctly/safely there would be no current flow into any other control device of any type. Done incorrectly/unsafely then things can break, catch fire, lethal potential difference to bare rails, etc. So, idiot proof instructions!

Hi Matt

My first reply on that thread did say, easier fault finding.

I ended up defending the worst boss I ever worked for. You are right I think he was trying to add some idiot protection. One of them did ask who would be stupid enough to leave one control unplugged and hold the plug. I did say the same people as  "those who who would amputate a finger closing a door, fall off their ladder through the greenhouse, electrocute themselves putting up the new light fitting, ride a motor-cycle without a crash helmet........" I left off the blood transfusion charge nurse who put a number 11 scalpel blade through an artery. It was a right blighter trying to clean the blood up before Mrs M got home from work. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

Cracking pictures. For an imaginary location it has a remarkably prototypical feel to it, even in its incomplete state.

As an expert on camera phones can you explain in words of one syllable , how you get to picture from the phone to the thread, in terms that someone with the I/T skills of a snail (i.e. me) can follow? 

Add your text in the reply box.

Below that is a link to 'Click to choose files'  - this should open your phone's filing system, where you should find a Camera folder with your photos in. Select your photo.

Once the photo has loaded, there will be a plus symbol lower left.

Click this and your photo is added to the main reply window.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Once the photo has loaded, there will be a plus symbol lower left.

Click this and your photo is added to the main reply window.

Just to point out that the photo is added where the cursor is when you click the +.  So you can put in all the text, upload the photo then move the cursor to where you want the photo.

I tend to put a dummy word where I want the photo e.g. D600, then when ready put the cursor in the word, click + and then delete the letters no longer needed.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Just to point out that the photo is added where the cursor is when you click the +.  So you can put in all the text, upload the photo then move the cursor to where you want the photo.

I tend to put a dummy word where I want the photo e.g. D600, then when ready put the cursor in the word, click + and then delete the letters no longer needed.

Paul.

I do much the same. I usually use [1], [2], etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some snaps from last night. I have had a complaint from our intrepid photographer, well since he has been given a new implement he no longer has to go and see the lady in boots.  For his film. :nono:

To start with some shots from the goods shed end.

003a.jpg.9bfecb98f276e53b56661a166551018d.jpg

Off Dignity Street Bridge.

004a.jpg.b5490c9f69f1770d0408cdd3650655b9.jpg

And one from Enterprise Road. I have experimenting with straightening up the photos on the wonk.

001a.jpg.d4d1caf5d92c0d8e69a45de82e22af74.jpg

Driver eye view from the DMU arriving from Barnsley.

005a.jpg.17cc198832b6ce9e228aa9e13719c52b.jpg

The driver of the Sulzer Type 2 on the ECS train which will form the all stations to Halifax is held at the signal while the DMU passes. Note about the models, the Derby unit is a converted Hornby 110 I done a very long time ago and the Type 2 was a Hornby 25, again converted many moons ago. 

008a.jpg.6bdb071b531a0d4d5baec2ddcf95d0b5.jpg

The passengers are all getting out their seats ready for a quick exit off the train as it is nearly journey's end.

010a.jpg.4dca3d86e76edf64afd14a4546234e43.jpg

The route is set, the signals cleared and the ECS train edges slowly forward.

012a.jpg.698fc112f1a68b71d8b178a3c1f5ece8.jpg

The train spotters are wondering which loco in the two sets of loco sidings will back on to the train.....they all hope it is one of the ones whose numbers they cannot see.

• Like 17

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

How about a song we can all sing along to,

The Cycle Speedway team I rode for in my school days,  East Ham Stars , had their home track in the real Itchycoo Park, which was actually Little Ilford  Park between Ilford and Manor Park, but only the locals knew the nickname.

I spent many an hour in my adolescence with my nose pressed up against the window of the J.60 Music Bar in Manor Park which was famous because that was where Steve Marriott worked when Ronnie Lanes dad brought him in to buy a bass guitar. They hit it off together, arranged to meet after work and so the Small Faces were formed. 

Not a lot of people know all that.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 02/08/2019 at 11:47, Clive Mortimore said:

I am not posting things about Sheffield Exchange anymore.....................look what happens ...............thanks all.

1226194798_UWOT!!!!.jpg.8de8f5f592ce1da6672fa8a603fb401e.jpg

I am humbled and slightly embarrassed. 

Out of curiosity I decided to check: I last won the day on September 1st 2013... new rmweb obviously looks at previous version statistics as well as latest content (and you can get a gold trophy without being a gold member ;) )

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1