Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

I see it is still appropriately in workshop grey for the official photo.

The new one is the black one in the shadow. The grey is quite hopeless, he cannot be ridden has he has a bad back. He just keeps getting into the paddocks we are allowing the grass to grow.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Have you told you good lady that Orses are best left to roam outside and that the Building would make a nice Railway Club Room?

Now Andrew you have met Mrs M, would you be brave enough or stupid enough to suggest her 'orses hutch would make a good railway club house. :dontknow:

I am neither brave or stupid. :blackeye:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 07/08/2019 at 19:42, Clive Mortimore said:

Back to the other night running stuff not normally seen.

Some shots of the WR DMUs out on the main line.

004a.jpg.8bcd51a3ea935b53811f8d677dca7eeb.jpg

Passing the Doncaster sidings

007a.jpg.e5fff1757dc67125a61e6d064d762b96.jpg

And now whizzing by the Manchester carriage yard.

Are those  Lima DMU s running on standard Lima motors and bogies with tiny wheels and huge flanges  or if not what are they on ?  I am just playing around with a couple of sets but of course they are no good on code 75 track, and I am Just pondering on whether to invest in something better. 

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance. 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Are those  Lima DMU s running on standard Lima motors and bogies with tiny wheels and huge flanges  or if not what are they on ?  I am just playing around with a couple of sets but of course they are no good on code 75 track, and I am Just pondering on whether to invest in something better. 

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Jazzer,

All my Lima stock runs OK on code 75 rail despite the deep flanges. I never understand peoples dislike to Lima motors, I have never had one fail. The only times they have not run is when the very thin wire connecting the pick bogie to the motor breaks or that spade clip pings off the pick up bogie. Clean wheels and a small drop of oil on the armature bearings and axles they can be made to run slowly, except the 09 shunter :crazy: . Never any haulage problems with them. If a Lima loco or DMU derails there is something wrong with the track.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have done some modelling tonight, but got side tracked with interweb stuff, mainly RMweb, and listening to the new Regrettes LP. Plus I was running trains. I noticed that I had managed to have steam locos at one end of the all hauled trains and diesels at the other. Not planned honest.

013a.jpg.709352076fb7a298d47e5c05213f708e.jpg

Steam

015a.jpg.6eba97efb77d5fd90710903bbaf4f809.jpg

Diesel

016a.jpg.7458d3963b5f4e9a4d1cfe77ce96ab25.jpg

I can't put a roof over the top of views like this.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer,

All my Lima stock runs OK on code 75 rail despite the deep flanges. I never understand peoples dislike to Lima motors, I have never had one fail. The only times they have not run is when the very thin wire connecting the pick bogie to the motor breaks or that spade clip pings off the pick up bogie. Clean wheels and a small drop of oil on the armature bearings and axles they can be made to run slowly, except the 09 shunter :crazy: . Never any haulage problems with them. If a Lima loco or DMU derails there is something wrong with the track.

Thanks for that. I have never actually run them . I bought them cheaply about 15-20 years ago as non runners for practice at painting and lining but the project got started and never finished ( a familiar tale !). Somehow over the years I got it into my head that I would need Ultrascale wheels to run on code 75 track. Anyway I’ve resurrected them from an old box in the garage and will check out the motors. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jazzer said:

Thanks for that. I have never actually run them . I bought them cheaply about 15-20 years ago as non runners for practice at painting and lining but the project got started and never finished ( a familiar tale !). Somehow over the years I got it into my head that I would need Ultrascale wheels to run on code 75 track. Anyway I’ve resurrected them from an old box in the garage and will check out the motors. :rolleyes:

It's a strange business this Lima flanges on code 75. Like Clive I have Peco code 75 rail throughout, and no problems at all.

However a number of folk over the years have asserted that Lima flanges are too deep. My own theory is that it depends who's code 75 you're using. As I understand, the code reflects the depth (height) of the rail, hence code 100 looks a fair bit chunkier. The measure doesn't recognise the distance from the top of the chair to the top of the rail, and if this is less than Peco on other manufacturers track it would explain why Lima wheels don't work so good on them.

Like Clive I'm quite a fan of the Lima motors, and the Hornby Ringfields too. They're easy to access, easy to service and pretty reliable if you keep them clean and nicely lubricated. Perhaps not quite as good for slow speeds as more modern types, but as I run a mainline roundy - roundy that doesn't matter so much.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Lima flanges do seem to of variable depth depending upon which stock it is.
Our PCAs rattled through the flangeways as they bottomed out, but never caused any derailments.

Yet my test 26 struggles to pick up as it lifts the wheels off the rails.

Quick and dirty (i.e cheap and free ) fix is to put the wheels in a power drill and take a file to reduce the height of the flanges.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Lima flanges do seem to of variable depth depending upon which stock it is.
Our PCAs rattled through the flangeways as they bottomed out, but never caused any derailments.

Yet my test 26 struggles to pick up as it lifts the wheels off the rails.

Quick and dirty (i.e cheap and free ) fix is to put the wheels in a power drill and take a file to reduce the height of the flanges.

I need to look at doing that with my O Gauge 33, as it sounds like it's running on the Chairs.

• RMweb Premium

Things never go as planned. I thought I would have finished the chassis for the LNER coaches tonight. I still have two to do. Good news is I have found another Kirk bogie sprue so now have bogies for the Thompson Open Second.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

It's a strange business this Lima flanges on code 75. Like Clive I have Peco code 75 rail throughout, and no problems at all.

However a number of folk over the years have asserted that Lima flanges are too deep. My own theory is that it depends who's code 75 you're using. As I understand, the code reflects the depth (height) of the rail, hence code 100 looks a fair bit chunkier. The measure doesn't recognise the distance from the top of the chair to the top of the rail, and if this is less than Peco on other manufacturers track it would explain why Lima wheels don't work so good on them.

Like Clive I'm quite a fan of the Lima motors, and the Hornby Ringfields too. They're easy to access, easy to service and pretty reliable if you keep them clean and nicely lubricated. Perhaps not quite as good for slow speeds as more modern types, but as I run a mainline roundy - roundy that doesn't matter so much.

John.

In my experience, Lima 00 wheels run fine on Peco (code 75 FB and code 100 FB) and SMP flexible track. They don't like C&L. I think this is because the chair profile is near to scale on C&L, while on SMP it has been modified to provide more clearance. I've never tried them on Peco code 83 FB or code 75 BH.

• Informative/Useful 2

Hi Folks,

One thing I will say about Lima wheel sets is that they do stay on the track, where as a certain manufacturers wheel sets, beginning with "D", quite like jumping off on the crossing noses of turnouts of facing points.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

One thing I will say about Lima wheel sets is that they do stay on the track, where as a certain manufacturers wheel sets, beginning with "D", quite like jumping off on the crossing noses of turnouts of facing points.

Gibbo.

Some of that make, especially the six-wheeled milk tankers, won't even stay on plain track. A friend of mine has a number of these, which were only cured when he replaced all the wheelsets with Brand H.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Gibbo.

Usual cause is an incorrect back to back setting.

It's not unusual (with apologies to Tom Jones) to find a wagon from D with 4 wheelsets with different back to backs.

(Or in the case of the MRA sets, bogies that wouldn't rotate in a vertical plain)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 09/08/2019 at 23:20, Clive Mortimore said:

I can't put a roof over the top of views like this.

Would an unglazed framework be the best of both worlds - impressive but transparent enough to see the little people boarding the little trains?

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Would an unglazed framework be the best of both worlds - impressive but transparent enough to see the little people boarding the little trains?

Hi

I did think of modelling the frame only, like on Liverpool Lime Street but viewing Lime Street I found the even the frame restricted my vision. Having a frame would also impinge on accessibility, having bashed a DMU against the buffers last night and derailing the front two coaches. Not having a roof hopefully puts the viewer (which for most the time is me) in the station not outside, I am still a trainspotter at heart.  

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi

I did think of modelling the frame only, like on Liverpool Lime Street but viewing Lime Street I found the even the frame restricted my vision. Having a frame would also impinge on accessibility, having bashed a DMU against the buffers last night and derailing the front two coaches. Not having a roof hopefully puts the viewer (which for most the time is me) in the station not outside, I am still a trainspotter at heart.  

Hi Clive,

What you need is a Lancashire and Yorkshire seaside terminus station with a selection of excursion platforms that were totally devoid of any sort of canopy, Southport or better still Blackpool Central.

At Blackpool you will be able to see your trains coming from miles off from the top of the tower with a good set of binoculars, just don't model it in BR Blue !

Gibbo.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

What you need is a Lancashire and Yorkshire seaside terminus station with a selection of excursion platforms that were totally devoid of any sort of canopy, Southport or better still Blackpool Central.

At Blackpool you will be able to see your trains coming from miles off from the top of the tower with a good set of binoculars, just don't model it in BR Blue !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Funny you should mention a seaside terminus, that had entered my mind when designing the layout and its backstory. As I wanted a good mixture of stock somewhere where both LMR and ER could possibly be seen together a seaside town with both seemed implausible. I settled for Sheffield as location where neither the L&YR or the GNR had their own station. Both railways operated joint stations in other Yorkshire cities so why not Sheffield. Throw in services to and from the other Yorkshire towns and cities then I could add NER allocated stock.

Of course I could always change the location, bung down some 3rd rail, 6 PANs and PULs, 4 LAVs, 4 CIGs, Bulleid 2 HAPs......sunny Sussex here we come. I have lived twice on the Sussex coast, only a short time each, and while I was there both times there was snow on the beach. :dontknow:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

Funny you should mention a seaside terminus, that had entered my mind when designing the layout and its backstory. As I wanted a good mixture of stock somewhere where both LMR and ER could possibly be seen together a seaside town with both seemed implausible. I settled for Sheffield as location where neither the L&YR or the GNR had their own station. Both railways operated joint stations in other Yorkshire cities so why not Sheffield. Throw in services to and from the other Yorkshire towns and cities then I could add NER allocated stock.

Of course I could always change the location, bung down some 3rd rail, 6 PANs and PULs, 4 LAVs, 4 CIGs, Bulleid 2 HAPs......sunny Sussex here we come. I have lived twice on the Sussex coast, only a short time each, and while I was there both times there was snow on the beach. :dontknow:

Hard to see the snow on the beach from the prison cell. At least it was only a short stay at her majesty pleasure each time. 

Said with big joke, tongue in cheek. Rmweb will not let me use icon to show that. :D no wait found it.