Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

On 11/08/2019 at 11:15, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi

I did think of modelling the frame only, like on Liverpool Lime Street but viewing Lime Street I found the even the frame restricted my vision. Having a frame would also impinge on accessibility, having bashed a DMU against the buffers last night and derailing the front two coaches. Not having a roof hopefully puts the viewer (which for most the time is me) in the station not outside, I am still a trainspotter at heart.  

Your solution is a traverse overall roof over the concourse and platform canopies along the platforms. Sydney Central is my prime example but I think Yarmouth and Lowestoft were similar though on a very much smaller scale. Skegness had/has the concourse roof without the station canopies

NSWGR_83018.jpg.620ead00cdb52442460357df6f79d9f7.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone for your input on the station roof. I am going to stick with an imaginary one for the moment. I still have ballast the track, put surfaces, and edging to the platforms, platform furniture to make, platform trollies, station staff, passengers, barriers, kiosk, station cat etc. etc. before any form of shelter for the passengers can be put in place.

I had a visit from Mr Mallard today which was nice.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks everyone for your input on the station roof. I am going to stick with an imaginary one for the moment. I still have ballast the track, put surfaces, and edging to the platforms, platform furniture to make, platform trollies, station staff, passengers, barriers, kiosk, station cat etc. etc. before any form of shelter for the passengers can be put in place.

You've still got trains to finish let alone a station

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I liked it as it was when you had the ROYAL visitation.:good:

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

To dammed right he has, HUNDREDS of them

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I am enjoying what I do there is no rush, time limit or what ever. I might have a pile of projects under construction, luckily I can play trains with them half built so may be one day I will have something finished, may be never. I am happy in my little world.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

16 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Not sure what was going on beyond my hotel last night...

20190813_034155_Richtone(HDR).jpg.7322cb8e5f12ce16c543d4df594ed27b.jpg

Anyway I'm back at Schipol now, about to partake of a large beer before attempting to get to HK again

Cannabis haze over Amsterdam Centraal.

What a time to be going to HK, don't wear a yellow hat.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Anyway I'm back at Schipol now, about to partake of a large beer before attempting to get to HK again

Doc you are an adventurer,

here is a song for you,

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Why is it when Mr Wright has a rant about models being glued together I get the urge to play this song.

Classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGroapmulHk

You will have to click on the link cos "The link could not be embedded because www.youtube.com does not allow embedding of that video."

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Station cat... you could use a 7mm model painted suitable colours and have a station Bengal Tiger. Would help reduce the number of passengers you need to model on the platforms too ;)

Hi Mr Goldfish,

The tiger would match Clive's stripy half built coaches !!!

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

My partner Veronica is in the USA, due to fly back via Hong Kong next week. She might need a Plan B...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

My partner Veronica is in the USA, due to fly back via Hong Kong next week. She might need a Plan B...

Is this of any help..... https://www.getmyboat.co.uk/boat-rental/?nelat=37.9924523876&nelon=-122.0324684194&swlat=37.4081845462&swlon=-122.682704207

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I am in HK now... landed at 10.05 and in CENTRAL by 10.55. Super fast ingress. Local intel is that disruptions start in the late afternoon and mornings are ok. But things could change of course. I aim to stay out of trouble...

Take care.

• Agree 7

On 12/08/2019 at 12:44, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Jazzer. I had exactly the same experience re. DMU's, as a teenager in the '70's I wrote the numbers down for something to do between real trains, now I think they're fascinating!

You're right about summer and winter projects, motor servicing is definitely in the latter. At present, I'm planning to go outside to do paint spraying/ airbrushing, only really possible in decent warmish weather. I've washed and prepared a stack of stuff to do. Unfortunately it's an aspect of our hobby I really don't like, and in consequence to put it off I've recently;

- washed all the outside paintwork of the house, including gutters

- cleaned out a trap drain

- cleaned out and sorted a good bit of our sizeable double garage

- cleaned out and sorted the entry hall to our house

- done my tax return

and now my legs and knees really hurt!

John.

You and me both I think. The latest distraction was s lawnmower I bought last week. After unpacking and assembling it and eventually getting it go I only had to register the guarantee and then play with my trainset. 

In the good good old days you got a post card in the box which took less than two minutes to fill in, but not anymore, oh, no, we cant have anything that simple in the internet age, you have to do It online

So I I goes on the Bosch website ( although it actually said made inChina on the side of the mower) , but you can’t register the guarantee until you set up an account which means creating a password , giving email address and telling them that no you don’t want details of their other products . That then gats rejected because the password has to have at least ten letters or and digits including at least one capital letter and a special character ( what’s a special character ? Father Christmas or something ?) . This is a £77 lawn mower for goodness sake not the Bank of England,. 

Anyway we get through that palava and I have to prove I An not a robot by telling them how many of these pictures have palm trees in. Trouble is some trees are do far away you can’t tell if they are pLm trees or not so while I m fiddle around with a magnifying glass trying to work it out I get timed out and have start the whole thing again ! Second time round it’s silly pictures with road markings and fire hydrants but at least they are clearer than the palm trees

Eventually after various other other questions to confirm I am who I say I am we get onto registering the guarantee,  so another window opens and ( drum roll ) we’re down to the last few questions , serial number where did you buy it etc , almost there now, last one ; upload proof of purchase. Six attempts later the receipt still won’t upload so I phone Bosch , and we get

“ ‘Allo, Chantelle speakin’ can I ‘elp yer?”

”Yes please I’m try to register a guarantee online but I can’t upload proof of purchase”

”You  don’t need proof of purchase “

” But the website says I do “

”Just give me the model number, serial number when and where you bought it and I’ll email the guarantee”

So I gave the information and back comes the guarantee by email.  Now it’s time to take the dog out so  o trainset gets done thanks to modern technology. That’s what they call progress. 

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

I loathe those 'not a robot' things - click on the traffic lights - do i click on just the lights or do i include the pole they are attached too - and what if a little corner of it is in the next box but the actual light itself isn't.

What if the person who decided which boxes were traffic lights and which weren't was a mischievous nerd who just wants to torture us. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

51 minutes ago, jazzer said:

You and me both I think. The latest distraction was s lawnmower I bought last week. After unpacking and assembling it and eventually getting it go I only had to register the guarantee and then play with my trainset. 

In the good good old days you got a post card in the box which took less than two minutes to fill in, but not anymore, oh, no, we cant have anything that simple in the internet age, you have to do It online

So I I goes on the Bosch website ( although it actually said made inChina on the side of the mower) , but you can’t register the guarantee until you set up an account which means creating a password , giving email address and telling them that no you don’t want details of their other products . That then gats rejected because the password has to have at least ten letters or and digits including at least one capital letter and a special character ( what’s a special character ? Father Christmas or something ?) . This is a £77 lawn mower for goodness sake not the Bank of England,. 

Anyway we get through that palava and I have to prove I An not a robot by telling them how many of these pictures have palm trees in. Trouble is some trees are do far away you can’t tell if they are pLm trees or not so while I m fiddle around with a magnifying glass trying to work it out I get timed out and have start the whole thing again ! Second time round it’s silly pictures with road markings and fire hydrants but at least they are clearer than the palm trees

Eventually after various other other questions to confirm I am who I say I am we get onto registering the guarantee,  so another window opens and ( drum roll ) we’re down to the last few questions , serial number where did you buy it etc , almost there now, last one ; upload proof of purchase. Six attempts later the receipt still won’t upload so I phone Bosch , and we get

“ ‘Allo, Chantelle speakin’ can I ‘elp yer?”

”Yes please I’m try to register a guarantee online but I can’t upload proof of purchase”

”You  don’t need proof of purchase “

” But the website says I do “

”Just give me the model number, serial number when and where you bought it and I’ll email the guarantee”

So I gave the information and back comes the guarantee by email.  Now it’s time to take the dog out so  o trainset gets done thanks to modern technology. That’s what they call progress. 

I feel your pain. I have been dealing with electricity company. On the phone but can’t get deal as it is only an on line deal, but on line says I need notify company by phone due to technical issue. 

Ahhhhhhhh.

richard

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Hi Jazzer,

By telling the artificial intelligence robot how many palm trees there are in a photograph you are actually engaging in a process that is accelerating machine leaning capabilities so that in the future the robots will actually be better than humans at working out how many palm trees there are in a photograph, or even if it is photograph or a made up virtual image.

The exercise you describe has everything to do with progress but not as you may perceive progress for your own benefit. The artificial intelligence is progressing all the same, that is the progress.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

By telling the artificial intelligence robot how many palm trees there are in a photograph you are actually engaging in a process that is accelerating machine leaning capabilities so that in the future the robots will actually be better than humans at working out how many palm trees there are in a photograph, or even if it is photograph or a made up virtual image.

The exercise you describe has everything to do with progress but not as you may perceive progress for your own benefit. The artificial intelligence is progressing all the same, that is the progress.

Gibbo.

Come the day when AI takes over RMweb……………….

We might see some sense on here.

:D

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 3