Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I have been building the bogies for the BG, I have had a slight problem. On one side frame I drilled the holes for the bearings too low. The bogie did look funny sloping to one side, it ran well. It has been taken apart and the problem rectified.

Sheffield Exchange Model Railway where I can make a solution a problem.

To be played at ear bleeding volume, an excellent rock song.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

OK guys where have I left the useful box of bits again? 

In that corner over there.

No, not that one, the other one.

That's it, just behind the thingummyjig underneath the wotsitsname.

Oh buqqer, it was there last time I looked.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been building the bogies for the BG, I have had a slight problem. On one side frame I drilled the holes for the bearings too low. The bogie did look funny sloping to one side, it ran well. It has been taken apart and the problem rectified.

Sheffield Exchange Model Railway where I can make a solution a problem.

To be played at ear bleeding volume, an excellent rock song.

Best laugh I've had for years, cheers Clive.:good:

• RMweb Premium

Found it , some blighter had hidden it with a pile of plastic card and it wasn't Mrs M, or the dogs or the 'orses, so they all say.

Good fing I did find it as it has the 3mm screws and nuts in it and without them I cannot fix the bogies to the chassis and it is a waste of time plonking the bodies on the chassis without bogies.

002a.jpg.fd8c78600c14efc3cabe2b50cf4c637d.jpg

The steel body BG, the left hand bogie needs sorting out. I made the frame slightly smaller than the other one. It is going to have an overlay so that might hide the gap a bit. The chassis  is the right height.

004a.jpg.12010bbf53f3c809296cc3790fc958ea.jpg

The CCT(E), after the early side problem and roof cock-up it is looking good.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 14

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

My chin is like my head at the moment......................I have evicted the wild animals living in what was my beard.

Thought you were saving that for your Christmas Job mate.:laugh:

And yes this guy is / was trying to compete with you in  the beard stakes.

IMG_9628.JPG.c72823405526ccac836c49d89d0fc2c4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

004a.jpg.12010bbf53f3c809296cc3790fc958ea.jpg

The CCT(E), after the early side problem and roof cock-up it is looking good.

Hi Clive

Confused of Manby. That's the coach I was suggesting the wrap around tube and boiling water for the roof but you said it had a Gresley roof with domes or have I misunderstood your earlier comment.

Cheers

Paul

On 24/09/2019 at 20:25, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Brian

Not too sure. I will investigate. I know MJT do a LNER roof. But that could be the start of the slippy slope and I will begin to buy etch sides etc. I am actually enjoying trying to get the roof/rooves the right shape.

Hi Mike

Now that sounds like an idea for the future.

As today has been a total disaster not being able to go outside and do the work Mrs M has on her list I have had to suffer and spend all day in the toy room making the roofs/rooves of these coaches. 

I got an aluminium LNER roof from Wizard Models .  I used it on my Tourist Brake 3rd.

But to be honest just getting a roof that would actually fit the coach sides was as much as I aimed at . And the aluminium roof has to be cut to length, and of course it doesn't have domed ends..... (Not a problem for the Tourist stock - a big issue for other Gresley stock)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi Clive

Confused of Manby. That's the coach I was suggesting the wrap around tube and boiling water for the roof but you said it had a Gresley roof with domes or have I misunderstood your earlier comment.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

The LNER coach roofs were not a single radius when viewed from the end, both straight end and dome ended coaches. There is a transitional curve from the side to the main roof curvature. It is trying to get that shape right, even the likes of Bachmann haven't always done so. Now if I were skilled enough with wood I would make myself some formers for the different coach roof profiles...............and get told off by Mrs M for leaving a hot pan full of water on her cooker top.

001b.jpg.b9779b80cd1b7b6148730776301d9e9c.jpg

• Like 2