Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, richard i said:

She has fallen over. No denial about the horses doing the building. 

You would be pleased to know that I too am knee deep in plasticard trying to bring some coaches to life.  So far so good on the parts going together.  

I am enjoying watching the DMUs metaphorising out of other incarnations. 

Richard 

Hi Richard

I saw your Barnham coaches. Have they been cut on a Silhoutte cutter? I have one still in its box. I must get it out and start to use it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

In platform 2 we have the Preston train which used to be a hauled express but reduced to two Cravens class 105 power twins, these are Bachmann RTR. Behind is a stranger to Sheffield Exchange on a special a Derby class 127, a long way from its normal route of Bedford to St Pancras, more about this unit in a later post. 

013a.jpg.fef1999bdb7fb3665a04007b50608b4c.jpg

Hi Clive,

Warning, Pedant Alert !!!

If traction for this service was provided from the Preston end then shouldn't the Cravens be 112/3 power twins ?

Gibbo.

All clear he's gone now !!!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Richard

I saw your Barnham coaches. Have they been cut on a Silhoutte cutter? I have one still in its box. I must get it out and start to use it.

I used a laser cutter to etch the lines on to the sheets. Then I have hand cut out each piece. It has taken a while but I would rather do that than cut out each piece as I need it. 

As it is in the white it has been christened the ghost train.

Prichard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Warning, Pedant Alert !!!

If traction for this service was provided from the Preston end then shouldn't the Cravens be 112/3 power twins ?

Gibbo.

All clear he's gone now !!!

Hi Gibbo

They also had BUT engine power twins in Lancashire.

A 113 would be a lovely addition to bung on the back of the 127, but not a 112 and a driver who forgets he has a unit at the back with a gear box. BANG!!!!!!!

The 112 and 113 had the earlier design of brake without the extra window. I only have one unit with that configuration and that is my MTK unit, so maybe that will be a 112. On the other hand I might make a 113 one day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now the Derby 127 unit. This is about 35 years old.  I had no drawings so everything was worked out from photos, except the last coach of this post. The train passing the Doncaster Sidings.

Wonderful work Clive, I have so many Lima 117 coaches I'm almost tempted to build a 127, except that none of my proposed layouts is appropriate.

You just need to close-couple the coaches (argghhh, Lima monstrosity couplings!) and lose the Paddington - Milford Haven headcode and it would be finished for me.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Wonderful work Clive, I have so many Lima 117 coaches I'm almost tempted to build a 127, except that none of my proposed layouts is appropriate.

You just need to close-couple the coaches (argghhh, Lima monstrosity couplings!) and lose the Paddington - Milford Haven headcode and it would be finished for me.

Hi

It did have screw couplings which lasted its first exhibition 30 plus years ago. It was only on Sunday I raided my spares box for Lima bogies with their couplings on. I also swapped the motor bogie frame with one on my green 122 and a leading bogie on one of my Lima 3 car sets so they can only be multipled at one end only.  I never have any issues with old Tri-ang or Lima large couplings they work and to me wanting a layout that operates without problems they are a hit.

Headcode should be 2Cxx even number to St Pancras and 2Cyy odd number to St Albans, Luton or Bedford, starting with 00 for the first train of the day ascending upwards until 12 mid day when the numbers reverted back to 00 upwards because during the day there was over 100 local services to and from St Pancras. I don't think there are any now they all go via the Thames link.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2019 at 00:20, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Muddy

Ah, the painting situation. I have an old airbrush and compressor which haven't been used for a long time, as you can tell. I don't really have a spraying area at the present time. When we moved here I was going to have the caravan as my workshop. The eldest moved back with us and pitched up in the van. I was then going to use the garage until the youngest built his gym in there.  Hopefully very soon I will have a spray booth and a new airbrush so I might be able to paint in the toy room.

In between time I am having fun operating my layout with multi-coloured trains.

You've made the classic mistake Clive, when you move house, never ever give the kids the new address, it only encourages them.

Also moving to another country works. (I ain't as green as I'm cabbage looking).

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi 

Which spray booth did you go for in the end?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

To date I haven't got one, I have been lucky to be included in my uncle's will and a new air brush and a spray booth are going to be acquired when the probate is completed. 

I have seen yours (spray booth before any rude comments from the cheap seats), which make is it as I cannot remember?

• Like 3

On 29/10/2019 at 00:20, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Muddy

Ah, the painting situation. I have an old airbrush and compressor which haven't been used for a long time, as you can tell. I don't really have a spraying area at the present time. When we moved here I was going to have the caravan as my workshop. The eldest moved back with us and pitched up in the van. I was then going to use the garage until the youngest built his gym in there.  Hopefully very soon I will have a spray booth and a new airbrush so I might be able to paint in the toy room.

In between time I am having fun operating my layout with multi-coloured trains.

How about using the Stables  for a Spray area?  How brave are you, haha.:laugh:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I didn't do any running or modelling last night. I spent most of it researching bands with female vocalist shouting about world problems, I have a load more now Richard. Well I am having lunch time in the train set room and enjoying listening to shouting ladies as DMUs run around the room. :locomotive::yahoo:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh Er!!!!

I have just sent two trains around the layout from the station only to find I have no spare fuddle yard lines. So I have just had two trains go Sheffield to Sheffield, one going via Barnsley, Wakefield and Doncaster and the other going the other way.  It did look good both departing together and then arriving together especially as both were made up of six coach BR Mk1 non-gangway sets. 

I now have the Hull to Liverpool via Sheffield and Manchester express hauled by a Sulzer Bo-Bo  and another Bo-Bo on the DMU replacement from Halifax approaching the station. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

To date I haven't got one, I have been lucky to be included in my uncle's will and a new air brush and a spray booth are going to be acquired when the probate is completed. 

I have seen yours (spray booth before any rude comments from the cheap seats), which make is it as I cannot remember?

Hi Clive

Mine is this one and works very well. There is no smell from the paint in the house even when using enamels.

https://www.graphicair.co.uk/product/benchvent-bv300s-d-airbrush-spray-booth/

Other suppliers are available.

Cheers

Paul

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

Clive,

If you can put off painting until the spring, may I suggest that you consider going outside to do the deed. It can be a bit annoying when the wind gets up and blows things about, but otherwise has a lot to be said for it. Absolutely no smells or fumes, particularly helpful if you use enamels and clean up the airbrush with cellulose thinners. The main advantage however is the light - it's so much easier to see what's going on than if you use a spray booth. I'm a few months older than you, and although I've good eyesight it isn't what it was, particularly in artificial light.  All you need is a good size outdoor table and a chair, and off you go.

Just a thought,

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Clive,

If you can put off painting until the spring, may I suggest that you consider going outside to do the deed. It can be a bit annoying when the wind gets up and blows things about, but otherwise has a lot to be said for it. Absolutely no smells or fumes, particularly helpful if you use enamels and clean up the airbrush with cellulose thinners. The main advantage however is the light - it's so much easier to see what's going on than if you use a spray booth. I'm a few months older than you, and although I've good eyesight it isn't what it was, particularly in artificial light.  All you need is a good size outdoor table and a chair, and off you go.

Just a thought,

John.

Hi John

I have put off painting so many things for years so waiting until spring will not be a problem.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Oooo!!!

I haven't posted since Wednesday, I am still here you haven't got rid of me. Thursday and Friday saw me playing trains, nothing really to report. I have started to run the English Electric Type 3s that do not normally have a run on Sheff Ex. First out was a Vi Trains loco which I am still in the process of back dating. IT was running quite jerky, sort pulse like. It would run nicely for a few feet then slow but would soon pick up speed again. I cleaned the wheels, no real change. I took the body off, I hate DCC ready diesels where the motor is hidden under the PCB. I took the PCB off to get to the motor so I could oil it. Plop fell out the motor, the PCB holds it in place. oiled the motor bearings, reassembled my pile of bits. It is still going Vooooooommmmm, voom, Vooooooommmmm, voom, Vooooooommmmm, voom, so the next course of action is to dismantle the gear towers in the bogies to see if there is anything binding in them. I also gave a Tri-ang Type 3 on a LIma Deltic chassis a run, It wasn't one that I had worked on it was one I purchased in  that condition. Ran OK after the wheels were cleaned and motor oiled, it needs some work on it ......but then so does much of my stock.

I went to the Spalding show today, I had a lovely day meeting up with my mate Ian. Later I stumbled upon two Witham club members , Keith and Jim, it was great to spend some time with them. Said hello to a great number of other people I know, to save forgetting anyone who views this thread and I said hello to I will just say it was nice to say hello to you all.

Layout wise, Grantham was there and I always enjoying seeing it. I really liked Heybridge Wharf a lovely 3mm layout set in East Angila. Another layout I liked was South Town, well who wouldn't like a layout with two Wickhams DMUs, again set in East Anglia. My friend Steve Farmer had his Farmers Drove layout, based on a typical Fenland location which is a very nice layout, but then most of Steve's are even though he models in 2mm and 7mm. I think there is a theme developing in my likes at the show.

Am I wrong not to take interest in certain types of layouts at shows, no matter how well they are modeled?

Here are some shouting ladies for you all,

• Like 6

Hi Clive,

it was good to bump into you again.

Like you I was impressed with Heybridge Wharf and Sutton Town even though I model "north of the border"!

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Am I wrong not to take interest in certain types of layouts at shows, no matter how well they are modeled?

Not in the slightest!  My brother and I are the same.  It just shows we are all different.  One man's meat and all that!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

IMHO, yes.

One can always learn something from other peoples layouts no matter what their provenance.

I personally don't "do" narrow gauge or foreign, but imagine what inspiration I would have missed had I overlooked Pempoul because of it, amongst many others.

As has been stated elsewhere before, railway modelling is a broad church, turning a blind eye means that you can miss some things.

Mike.

(Sorry for not being able to get rid of the squealing girls).

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
Apology.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

IMHO, yes.

One can always learn something from other peoples layouts no matter what their provenance.

I personally don't "do" narrow gauge or foreign, but imagine what inspiration I would have missed had I overlooked Pempoul because of it, amongst many others.

As has been stated elsewhere before, railway modelling is a broad church, turning a blind eye means that you can miss some things.

Mike.

(Sorry for not being able to get rid of the squealing girls).

Hi Mike and all

I find if I cannot connect with the railway subject no matter how well it is modeled I find it hard to stay interested in what is front of me.

Next weekend I am taking the little train set to Solihull and I know that diesel depots are not everyone's cup of tea so I don't expect all the visitors to stop and watch it for hours.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1