Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2019 at 19:08, Northmoor said:

S'funny what errors we each spot Clive.  I've learned a lot about depots from you to spot errors which I'd otherwise have missed.

But those geographical and structural nonsenses jump out at me.  How many of small stations and depots are accessed through a tunnel or bridge with buildings on top, whose foundations would be 6 feet below the roof of the tunnel?  

I know what you mean, but there's always exceptions to point to.

Mutley tunnel Plymouth

6179073_orig.jpg

From railscenes.com

My dislike is layouts where the fiddle yard exit is into a tunnel, but there are tracks in front so there is a cliff face between. Why would the tunnel not be opened out...? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

My dislike is layouts where the fiddle yard exit is into a tunnel, but there are tracks in front so there is a cliff face between. Why would the tunnel not be opened out...? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Apart from Liverpool Lime Street I can't think of many examples where there is a tunnel and lines next to a shear face of rock.

I do agree it is not correct but sometimes to make the most of the baseboard space it's sort of accepted - Brighton East is an example of it well executed.

image.png.45e04e18d593dbfe639306ecdd6cbf81.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Mutley tunnel Plymouth

Yep, I've seen those layouts and they are nonsense.  The best(!) I ever saw had a quarry in the kick-back sidings, with a narrow gauge line going into a mine, just above the standard gauge tunnel...........  

The Mutley tunnel photo's slightly deceptive because I think the track is curving to the right as it enters the tunnel and may actually go under the gap to the right of the row of houses.  Those houses look like standard two floor properties; a common layout error is to put a pub in the street above.  Pubs almost ALWAYS have a cellar, so on the model a passing driver would be able to say hello to the publican changing a barrel.

On the other example in Southampton, I agree this is quite common but these are small single storey buildings (in some cases actually pre-fabs), so the load on the bridge is less than the obligatory bus.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The DMU sidings at Sheffield (Midland, not Exchange) are not far of the Brighton East arrangement (take away the first siding to give a slope down) but the ground goes on rising at the same rate so it does look ok.

Liverpool Central HL also had sidings ‘alongside’ the tunnel for a short distance, but the tunnel curved away sharply so there was a much bigger ‘gap’ (if solid matter can constitute a ‘gap’!).

Paul.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

The DMU sidings at Sheffield (Midland, not Exchange) are not far of the Brighton East arrangement (take away the first siding to give a slope down) but the ground goes on rising at the same rate so it does look ok.

Liverpool Central HL also had sidings ‘alongside’ the tunnel for a short distance, but the tunnel curved away sharply so there was a much bigger ‘gap’ (if solid matter can constitute a ‘gap’!).

Paul.

The arrangement at Sheffield is not tunnels, rather they are skewed bridges with nothing but road on top,  

1578458684_sheffmid2.JPG.8825ec36f73109d54edb42204f49027c.JPG

The tunnel/cliff face/siding is one cliche I can't really accept, it makes no engineering sense.  The other one is layouts with reverse curves of varying radii for no reason other than to 'make it look interesting'.  It doesn't.  It just looks unrealistic.  Anyway, model railway cliches is a whole other topic!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
better image selected
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Mutley tunnel Plymouth

6179073_orig.jpg

From railscenes.com

I have watched 14 coach sleepers behind a single 50 at the other end, the noise, will never forget it.

• Like 2

On 03/11/2014 at 00:45, Clive Mortimore said:

I have cleared all the mess off the baseboards and cut the track to size. Here are some progress photos.

post-16423-0-06298500-1414974682_thumb.jpg

Station throat, looking towards the fiddle yard.

post-16423-0-35085700-1414974759_thumb.jpg

Point work looking towards the station.

post-16423-0-59689500-1414974861.jpg

Looking at the station.

The fiddle yard is an eleven road traverser. It was built by fellow Witham club member Jim for another member, Richard. Richard gave it (and the other three traverser boards) to our mate Paul. Who in turn has let me have one board. I only needed one.

post-16423-0-87615900-1414975067_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-91322300-1414975086_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-13058100-1414975112_thumb.jpg

Putting a few items of stock on sometimes helps get a better impression

post-16423-0-83710700-1414975547_thumb.jpg

I know it was a long time ago!

But how was the traverse locked into place to align the track? 

Normally other traversers have a short bit of fixed track on the same board and a surface mounted bolt.

At least you have a longer usable sidings!

Edited by muddy water

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, muddy water said:

I know it was a long time ago!

But how was the traverse locked into place to align the track? 

Normally other traversers have a short bit of fixed track on the same board and a surface mounted bolt.

At least you have a longer usable sidings!

Hi Muddy

see https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87205-sheffield-exchange-toy-trains-music-and-fun/&do=findComment&comment=1744063

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MJI said:

I have watched 14 coach sleepers behind a single 50 at the other end, the noise, will never forget it.

I have watched double headed Castle and Hall on the afternoon Mail, many times in the same place; that really was unforgettable.  

P

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Pity they didn't let Gove in, he appears to be their expert in the subject.

• RMweb Premium

Fings seem to be getting back to normal since Mum's funeral last week. I had a short spell in the train set room last night and I am enjoying a much longer session tonight. Many Dmus have been scuttling about, I now have two Mk1 non gangway trains circumnavigating the playroom. One has a BR Type 2 Bo-Bo  up front and the other is being hauled by a Fairburn class 4 tank ....................they are all Bachmann models. 

Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Fings seem to be getting back to normal since Mum's funeral last week. I had a short spell in the train set room last night and I am enjoying a much longer session tonight. Many Dmus have been scuttling about, I now have two Mk1 non gangway trains circumnavigating the playroom. One has a BR Type 2 Bo-Bo  up front and the other is being hauled by a Fairburn class 4 tank ....................they are all Bachmann models. 

Enjoy

Always nice to have a gentle lullaby to go to bed with!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Enjoy

Welcome back Clive. 

Didn't Half Man Half Biscuit also do a song, "F****** h***, it's Fred Titmus"?  One of my mates at Uni had worked at Rushworths Music Shop in Liverpool and knew the singer from when he sold burgers from a trailer across the road.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2019 at 20:16, Northmoor said:

Welcome back Clive. 

Didn't Half Man Half Biscuit also do a song, "F****** h***, it's Fred Titmus"?  One of my mates at Uni had worked at Rushworths Music Shop in Liverpool and knew the singer from when he sold burgers from a trailer across the road.

The Fred Titmus song is one of my favorites of theirs, in fact most of their songs are great.

I had a good running session last night and another this afternoon. I keep thinking about doing  some modelling and then I change me mind. I am also doing an Andy Peters and keep thinking about making a new layout, several ideas have been put on paper but only one so far has got to the Anyrail planning stage. Most thoughts are for another of those unpopular diesel depot layouts, but the one that has been drawn in Anyrail is for a junction where a branch line comes off a single line route. All are for potential exhibition use.

While on the subject of unpopular diesel depots, following this year's Warley I have been very vocal about my inability to stand there looking at a layout where I do not connect with the subject matter, irrespective of how good the modelling is. Today I went step further by saying on "Wright Writes" that Copenhagen Fields leaves me cold. It is well modelled to a standard I don't think I can reach but it holds no interest for me. At times I envy those who can view most layouts no matter what the model portrays, Other times I think my selective approach is right and why waste your time viewing everything when you could be enjoying the few that tickle your fancy.  My approach could be totally wrong, do others feel like me or do you all have a broader vision than mine?

New song from the Wagakki Band

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

While on the subject of unpopular diesel depots, following this year's Warley I have been very vocal about my inability to stand there looking at a layout where I do not connect with the subject matter, irrespective of how good the modelling is. Today I went step further by saying on "Wright Writes" that Copenhagen Fields leaves me cold. It is well modelled to a standard I don't think I can reach but it holds no interest for me. At times I envy those who can view most layouts no matter what the model portrays, Other times I think my selective approach is right and why waste your time viewing everything when you could be enjoying the few that tickle your fancy.  My approach could be totally wrong, do others feel like me or do you all have a broader vision than mine?

Life is too short to spend time watching layouts that don't interest you - for whatever reason. I DO look at each layout (subject to finding them, being able to get at them and having enough time) but many are dismissed quickly for a variety of reasons and I move on. I will spend some time by those that make the cut on my initial survey and then return to them to take a longer look.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Having modelled Continental ''N'' and ''HO'', British ''N'' and ''OO'' in GWR, Southern, Midland BR, BR Blue, Modern Image and enjoyed them all so at Shows I'm always keen to see how others tackle a subject matter.

Now I do admire modellers who have modelled one subject most of their adult life, people such as Clive and the likes of Peter Denny, Mac Pyrke, Ken Payne, Norman Solaman, John Flann, although he modelled American as well, and there are many more including some big clubs.

I saw Copenhagen Fields many years ago at the big Easter London Shows at Central Hall's and it looks no different now when I saw it at Fareham back in October this year, almost 40 years later, but it did nothing to excite me. I also saw a couple of superb Layouts that did inspire me, and drew me back a couple of times for more viewing time.

Out of interest, here is a couple of pics of my 10.5ft x 12.5ft HO Layout in a spare room many years ago.

NOTE = These are photos of photos.

IMG_7841.JPG.f4587f3b08a2e11e6a4c7dca7518a27c.JPG

IMG_8278.JPG.bce7ef288e4cc98941601e41811dd4d0.JPG

IMG_8269.JPG.68eae4a9df1d19adbc062abb4522e50d.JPG

IMG_7840.JPG.d6b875fc17646670a3076aec103bb87f.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Having modelled Continental ''N'' and ''HO'', British ''N'' and ''OO'' in GWR, Southern, Midland BR, BR Blue, Modern Image and enjoyed them all so at Shows I'm always keen to see how others tackle a subject matter.

Now I do admire modellers who have modelled one subject most of their adult life, people such as Clive and the likes of Peter Denny, Mac Pyrke, Ken Payne, Norman Solaman, John Flann, although he modelled American as well, and there are many more including some big clubs.

I saw Copenhagen Fields many years ago at the big Easter London Shows at Central Hall's and it looks no different now when I saw it at Fareham back in October this year, almost 40 years later, but it did nothing to excite me. I also saw a couple of superb Layouts that did inspire me, and drew me back a couple of times for more viewing time.

Out of interest, here is a couple of pics of my 10.5ft x 12.5ft HO Layout in a spare room many years ago.

NOTE = These are photos of photos.

IMG_7841.JPG.f4587f3b08a2e11e6a4c7dca7518a27c.JPG

IMG_8278.JPG.bce7ef288e4cc98941601e41811dd4d0.JPG

IMG_8269.JPG.68eae4a9df1d19adbc062abb4522e50d.JPG

IMG_7840.JPG.d6b875fc17646670a3076aec103bb87f.JPG

Wow Andy

That was massive and all that knitting above the trains. Please tell me where in the world it is supposed to be as I am clueless on what the trains are? 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wow Andy

That was massive and all that knitting above the trains. Please tell me where in the world it is supposed to be as I am clueless on what the trains are? 

Most Stock was German Based, although some other stuff crossed the borders.

I'm sorry the pics are sh1te, but it's from a pre digital age, when I was young.:good:

The BMW Garage was a Ltd Edition with a revolving turntable with a Car on it.

IMG_7838.JPG.c8050dcfd3750ff035e8a941745acd5f.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG.3877df44de58bf3e197f90563c3afc7c.JPG

IMG_8268.JPG.9ca1530c9ac6cf7fa57c681d6f7009a3.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG.c6dc6e0aa7074a97561e2cd178643e61.JPG

IMG_8275.JPG.cc16549e42b6d5f88b6d6a46fe9e7e37.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG.f2eff8a3d9f46994ed4b06c817fd55a0.JPG

IMG_8270.JPG.35150f9ef133303442bdc339a02ab76b.JPG

• Like 6

The size of the show may influence what you look at. A big event like Warley means you need to prioritise what to view whereas a smaller event may give more time look at the rest.

Like Clive I model a specific time period though I will take a general interest outside of that.

Seeing Andy's photos reminds me of those who did overseas layouts years ago because 'they run better than the British trains'.

Now we see modern British layouts looking all bright and toy like.

Mention on 'Wright Writes' of photography matters reminds me I must drum up enthusiasm to picture some of my work, I'd far sooner be modelling!

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Most Stock was German Based, although some other stuff crossed the borders.

I'm sorry the pics are sh1te, but it's from a pre digital age, when I was young.:good:

The BMW Garage was a Ltd Edition with a revolving turntable with a Car on it.

IMG_7838.JPG.c8050dcfd3750ff035e8a941745acd5f.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG.3877df44de58bf3e197f90563c3afc7c.JPG

IMG_8268.JPG.9ca1530c9ac6cf7fa57c681d6f7009a3.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG.c6dc6e0aa7074a97561e2cd178643e61.JPG

IMG_8275.JPG.cc16549e42b6d5f88b6d6a46fe9e7e37.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG.f2eff8a3d9f46994ed4b06c817fd55a0.JPG

IMG_8270.JPG.35150f9ef133303442bdc339a02ab76b.JPG

Thanks Andy

It looks very busy with all those EMUs on it. I bet it was fun to play with.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1