Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Clive. The replies to your loco query took place after my bedtime, so here are my belated views.

My first reaction was to agree with you that smaller engines would be appropriate. I was thinking straight away of the Leeds Central - Liverpool services, which seem to have been hauled by mainly 2.6.4 tank engines, at least as far as Low Moor. I believe I have seen a photo of  Bank Hall Jubilee at Central on one of those trains though.

However, I totally agree with those who suggest running in turns from Doncaster. Lots of pictures of ex works Pacifics with four on exist. You can take that further though, as by 1962 Doncaster shed had far more Pacifics than it could find work for, and so A1s and A2/3s regularly worked slows to and from Leeds that had previously been worked by B1s or small tank engines. I see no reason why V2s would not have done the same. Why should not the same apply to Sheffield? I have pictures of an A1 at Victoria on a local from Doncaster in the mid 50s.

Tank engines post 1962? By that time I reckon mainly Fairburns or Standards. Those finished up working most of the Wakefield- Leeds trains towards the end.

Another suggestion could be a Sheffield- KX service, though they had been tried and failed before.

In conclusion, I believe that you have more chance of justifying big engines on what would not many years before have been considered totally inappropriate work, as it was all there was left for them to do. As has been mentioned, the Leeds- Cleethorpes which had always been a job for a B1 got Britannias towards thr end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, great northern said:

Not without knocking a lot of platform edges off. That's what happened on the one occasion I know of when a GW engine got that far north.

Hi Gilbert

I know the errant Grange (10p has gone in the swear box) got that far north on the GCR lines. I have purposely made Exchange north facing so I have no London service or others to the south.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, great northern said:

Not without knocking a lot of platform edges off. That's what happened on the one occasion I know of when a GW engine got that far north.

Hi There,

I was on the footplate of Nunney Castle when we clattered all of the copings of the platforms at Earlstown on a test run between Crewe and Bury quite some years back. There was a lot of vibration, crunching and dust along with a goodly sized scar gouged out of the end of the buffer plank.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

I forgot to add to my general reply to all suggestions you owe the swear box 20p for mentioning two locos. But as you say you are very crazy  you may be let off, only may be.

Hi Clive,

Don't worry, two things to remember:

1. "The recognition of madness, even in oneself, is the true path to sanity." Arthur Schopenhauer.
  2. Greasy Wet Rusty are the words that are more normally abbreviated to GWR.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Don't worry, two things to remember:

1. "The recognition of madness, even in oneself, is the true path to sanity." Arthur Schopenhauer.
  2. Greasy Wet Rusty are the words that are more normally abbreviated to GWR.

Gibbo.

There was me thinking that GWR was an abbreviation of "All The Engines Look The Same"

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

I know the errant Grange (10p has gone in the swear box) got that far north on the GCR lines. I have purposely made Exchange north facing so I have no London service or others to the south.

Well, that is very inconvenient of you, so there.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

I was on the footplate of Nunney Castle when we clattered all of the copings of the platforms at Earlstown on a test run between Crewe and Bury quite some years back. There was a lot of vibration, crunching and dust along with a goodly sized scar gouged out of the end of the buffer plank.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

On the Nod to Brent thread they think I am not being serious when I say anywhere west past Royal Oak underground station is bandit country. You have just proved me right, they send one their locos into civilisation and it starts to smash the place up.

By the way that is another 10p in the box.

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

On the Nod to Brent thread they think I am not being serious when I say anywhere west past Royal Oak underground station is bandit country. You have just proved me right, they send one their locos into civilisation and it starts to smash the place up.

It dodn't smash things up when it got to civilisation - but when it got to Earlstown it was just too much to bear!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Clive

A message from West of Royal Oak

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxwGCQbMjwNkRcnKWmrTPBBLqXPC

TONY

Hi Tony

I cannot view it as goggle are asking me to open an account.....I think I have three already but every time I try to view something like your link they want me to open another account and my mobile phone number.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

Sorry Clive, I was perhaps being too clever lazy, just copying & pasting.

Reproduced properly here. I just didn't want to offend anybody of

a Northern persuasion.

970807407_DSC_06062019Xmas.jpg.96d92dd5e7a6f8286e7e13d9ad55437e.jpg

But then of course a remembered, a pannier rarely offends!

TONY

A matchbox tank, :dontknow: they all look the same. :blind:

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

The operating session has been moved on in time to December 1967. A sad day for many as the last rostered steam working departed with a postal train to Manchester.

Luckily there were a few people with cameras to record the event.

002a.jpg.2c51dba3b67b6dad0f16f7685b877e6e.jpg

003a.jpg.d076a26dc6f74ce78ea2cd453281f7ea.jpg

005a.jpg.121c95fc9464fe6836c4bf4b872bcfd1.jpg

006a.jpg.42955347d2913b1a99ec263825dc14d2.jpg

Note the empty steam loco yard, for the first time in over 109 years when the GNR trains started to run to Sheffield Exchange.

The run down of services has begun, there is still a hauled train to Liverpool but this is only scheduled to last until the advent of the summer time table.  A set of non gangway coaches is being held in reserve in case of a DMU failer, but there some surplus DMUs being transferred from area already hit by the good Doctors pruning. Some of the cameramen stayed to take photos of the remaining motive power.

007a.jpg.e6e66e139ae9844b6d3cdedfed4753a2.jpg

008a.jpg.37bdf0c703a2981209e630d62cabcad3.jpg

Otherwise Happy Xmas every one.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Right, that's it from me... Christmas Song number 4, oddly enough also featuring the fourth Mrs Dr Gerbil-Fritters Ms Kacey Musgraves.

Have a really nice Christmas, fellow reprobates.  And may we all stay higher than the angel on the top of the tree.

Very nice Doc. I quite enjoyed the song, too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good will to all men, well that may be true in most households across the country but not at the ranch. Ruddy family. 

So I have hidden myself in the toy room for a while. 

A four car train is trundling along to Doncaster and via Barnsley is a Bradford and Leeds six car train. 

And listening to 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The operating session has been moved on in time to December 1967. A sad day for many as the last rostered steam working departed with a postal train to Manchester.

Luckily there were a few people with cameras to record the event.

002a.jpg.2c51dba3b67b6dad0f16f7685b877e6e.jpg

003a.jpg.d076a26dc6f74ce78ea2cd453281f7ea.jpg

005a.jpg.121c95fc9464fe6836c4bf4b872bcfd1.jpg

006a.jpg.42955347d2913b1a99ec263825dc14d2.jpg

Note the empty steam loco yard, for the first time in over 109 years when the GNR trains started to run to Sheffield Exchange.

The run down of services has begun, there is still a hauled train to Liverpool but this is only scheduled to last until the advent of the summer time table.  A set of non gangway coaches is being held in reserve in case of a DMU failer, but there some surplus DMUs being transferred from area already hit by the good Doctors pruning. Some of the cameramen stayed to take photos of the remaining motive power.

007a.jpg.e6e66e139ae9844b6d3cdedfed4753a2.jpg

008a.jpg.37bdf0c703a2981209e630d62cabcad3.jpg

Otherwise Happy Xmas every one.

It’s good see that in common with several other last days of steam services a dedicated and faithful band of enthusiasts have got up early on Christmas Day the clean the loco to pristine ex- works condition for the photographers to capture on its final revenue earning duty. 

Better still that we all we all know that at Sheffield Exchange the day after 31st December 1967 will be 1January 1962, the loco yard will return to full activity, Blue diesels will be far into the future, DCC will be unheard of and the boys who never grew up will be avidly awaiting your next update.:)

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

On 19/12/2019 at 13:19, Clive Mortimore said:

How about this one?

Been away for a while, but for once there’s a song I knew. From its first release.  I had forgotten how few words there were, I thought it was my memory forgetting the rest!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2019 at 15:36, Clive Mortimore said:

OK now something serious, locomotives for Sheffield Exchange.

Again, late to the party, but I have seen Deltic plus 3 at Doncaster. Didn’t half take off fast!

Was before HSTs so not relegated to shorter trains at that time.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Added rough dating info.
  • Like 2