Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jimwal said:

Easter eggs...?   they'll be cheap this year.

The treats may be cabbage, brussels and tinned tomatoes followed by toilet rolls.

Hi Jim

I know we use to joke about the inhabitants of the Dengie Hundred, but is eating toilet rolls a local delicacy?  :nono:

• Funny 6

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jim

I know we use to joke about the inhabitants of the Dengie Hundred, but is eating toilet rolls a local delicacy?  :nono:

Hi Clive,

You never know where they might have all ended up!

Talk of painting and dislike of, I've been putting off painting the outside of my house until now. Masonary paint around the whole of a 26'x34' 2 storey property. I could have used a good few of those panic bought bog rolls in the cleaning up.

It is one of those 'rountuit' jobs if not done now, will it ever get done?

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jim

I believe so. Normally with marmalade, but the special way to have them is with the local oysters. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, richard i said:

I believe so. Normally with marmalade, but the special way to have them is with the local oysters. 

Richard

As a teacher on Dengie Hundred are you sure your students/pupils/the kids that turn up every day, are not pulling your leg.

• Funny 2

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Very sad to hear of the death of Chelsea's best ever goal keeper Peter Bonetti.

Here he is playing with the best Chelsea team.

Morning Clive,

I met the great man once.  I was working in a cash & carry in Oban in the early eighties and he came in with some friends from Mull.  Really nice man to talk to, and never mentioned Chelse once!

Roja  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Morning Clive,

I met the great man once.  I was working in a cash & carry in Oban in the early eighties and he came in with some friends from Mull.  Really nice man to talk to, and never mentioned Chelse once!

Roja  

I was also lucky to meet him. As a teenager Chelsea were playing Southampton, my Uncle John was with the Southampton coaching team (and former Chelsea player) and he took my mate and I to the club bar after the game and we met players, they all seemed nice people.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Life here in the middle of nowhere Lincolnshire continues as normal.

On the DEMU forum somebody posted two close up photos of the new Bachmann class 24 and the Sutton one pulling the Bachmann one apart. Here are both side by side, taken with my phone camera which i think gives a better impression of what they look like on a layout.

003a.jpg.9e697ad39e3e4c109e767e0d86b798cf.jpg

006a.jpg.d5f15c0401517359396ef050579565f0.jpg

How lucky we are in having two very good models to chose from or in my case purchase.

I am still driving trains that are not finished.

002.jpg.5a3f16d7a0cf4bc86ebbb5102c575b90.jpg

And starting new stuff

002.jpg.078268542126674fac77762f66c7e488.jpg

I have even decided to do something with a very old Graham Farish non-gangway coach kit. It is so old it had a metal roof  and cast metal bogies. I have ditched the roof and replaced it with a Lima DMU roof left over from other conversions, the bogies seem OK.

I do hope you all saw the photo on Gilbert's Peterborough North thread of the lady in boots on a shopping trip to Peterborough. See you all thought she was a figment of my imagination, no she is real.

I will sign off with something from Skating Polly

• Like 8

Speaking as a peasant, I'm very fond of my pair of original 24's bought way back when Bachmann first introduced them - £35 each IIRC!

Seriously, the two models in the pic both look real winners, though as you say those in the know will be capable of finding fault. I'm never quite sure how you can tell if a window is a quarter of a mm too big when something's going round the layout. I think both D5098 and D5149 were north east locos, perhaps Gateshead and Thornaby respectively, so maybe they've rolled into Steel City on some Footexs. Lots of scope for odd workings I'd have thought with Hillsborough being used regularly for F.A. Cup semi-finals at that time.

John.

• Like 2

I agree both look decent. Do they move forwards and backwards? That is key. 
if someone is not happy with it, either do not buy it or do some modeling to make it right. It is after all a hobby which in part is based around modeling.

richard

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Life here in the middle of nowhere Lincolnshire continues as normal.

On the DEMU forum somebody posted two close up photos of the new Bachmann class 24 and the Sutton one pulling the Bachmann one apart. Here are both side by side, taken with my phone camera which i think gives a better impression of what they look like on a layout.

003a.jpg.9e697ad39e3e4c109e767e0d86b798cf.jpg

006a.jpg.d5f15c0401517359396ef050579565f0.jpg

How lucky we are in having two very good models to chose from or in my case purchase.

Hi Clive, some people are never happy unless they are complaining about something!  In all my years of going to shows I have never seen anyone using a micometer to compare models!  For 99.9% of the people if it looks right, and runs well, that's enough, and as Richard said in the previous post, either don't buy it or correct it.  My scratch-built stock looks like the prototype but doesn't bear close scrutiny, and I'm not in the least bit bothered!  At least I've made it!

Roja

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

Afternoon Clive, hope all is well!

A random question for the more knowledgeable on multiple units; were all 312s running in multiple always orientated the same way around or could they be facing either way? I have the bits and pieces to make up 2x 312s, one in nse and the other in greater Anglia 'swoosh', but debating whether to do them so each side is in a different livery so that from a viewing side they could run as a pair in either NSE, Swoosh, or 1 of each. But that will only work if 312s operated in a mix of orientations... hope that makes sense!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

Hi Clive, some people are never happy unless they are complaining about something!  In all my years of going to shows I have never seen anyone using a micometer to compare models!  For 99.9% of the people if it looks right, and runs well, that's enough, and as Richard said in the previous post, either don't buy it or correct it.  My scratch-built stock looks like the prototype but doesn't bear close scrutiny, and I'm not in the least bit bothered!  At least I've made it!

Those moaning about the faults in their new £100+ models remind me of the people whose opinions on cars always seem to be EXACTLY those that Clarkson et al had given on Top Gear.  They had usually never seen the actual cars let alone driven them (and probably never would), but spoke as if from personal experience.  The complaining modellers are often repeating parrot-fashion what they have heard others - who they consider well-informed - complain about in their own reviews.

Personally almost any RTR model made in the last 25 years looks pretty amazing to me.  However, dimensional accuracy counts for nothing when the loco emerges from a tunnel mouth with a pub built 2 feet above it into a track layout that would have been banned by the Board of Trade, then crosses a level crossing with roads approaching it at 1-in-5 either side, and so on..... all common even on "exhibition" layouts.

Clive - your layout may have only rudimentary scenery (at present) but it still looks, to me, infinitely more like a real railway than most of the armchair critics' efforts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Afternoon Clive, hope all is well!

A random question for the more knowledgeable on multiple units; were all 312s running in multiple always orientated the same way around or could they be facing either way? I have the bits and pieces to make up 2x 312s, one in nse and the other in greater Anglia 'swoosh', but debating whether to do them so each side is in a different livery so that from a viewing side they could run as a pair in either NSE, Swoosh, or 1 of each. But that will only work if 312s operated in a mix of orientations... hope that makes sense!

Hi Map

I cannot comment on the LMR 312s as I never saw too many of them or noted which way round they were. 

GNR ones didn't get reversed and seemed to  have the Driving Compo  pointing to Kings Cross. 

The GER ones to start with had their Driving Compo pointing to Liverpool Street. When the 305s, 313s and whatever else was used on the Clacton trains via St. Botolph's (Colchester Town) station were replaced with 312s they started to get reversed so could have the Driving Compo either end. A right pain in the backside when they reduced the smoking accommodation because I didn't know where to stand on the platform so I could have a fag on the way home.  

Edit Sorry for the long winded "It don't matter" answer, but when ever I give a simple yes or no answer to a question someone always pipes up "But on the WR they done xyz", just to complicate things. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Those moaning about the faults in their new £100+ models remind me of the people whose opinions on cars always seem to be EXACTLY those that Clarkson et al had given on Top Gear.  They had usually never seen the actual cars let alone driven them (and probably never would), but spoke as if from personal experience.  The complaining modellers are often repeating parrot-fashion what they have heard others - who they consider well-informed - complain about in their own reviews.

Personally almost any RTR model made in the last 25 years looks pretty amazing to me.  However, dimensional accuracy counts for nothing when the loco emerges from a tunnel mouth with a pub built 2 feet above it into a track layout that would have been banned by the Board of Trade, then crosses a level crossing with roads approaching it at 1-in-5 either side, and so on..... all common even on "exhibition" layouts.

Clive - your layout may have only rudimentary scenery (at present) but it still looks, to me, infinitely more like a real railway than most of the armchair critics' efforts.

Hi Northmoor,

I know exactly your point of view and how right you are, modern models are superb compared with the stuff Triang and Wrenn were producing when I was a boy in the 1970's. I remember the difference Mainline and Airfix made when their range of models first appeared. They would be considered Hornby Railroad standard now and some of them possibly are !

As for exhibition layouts with strange track plans, there do seem to be rather too many of them. There seems to be a complete disregard for topography, it is as though the hills, rivers roads and buildings are all fitted around a quarter mile of dead straight railway with sharp curves diving into tunnels all set in a landscape flatter than Holland.

As for Clarkson, well....anyway......

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Map

I cannot comment on the LMR 312s as I never saw too many of them or noted which way round they were. 

GNR ones didn't get reversed and seemed to  have the Driving Compo  pointing to Kings Cross. 

The GER ones to start with had their Driving Compo pointing to Liverpool Street. When the 305s, 313s and whatever else was used on the Clacton trains via St. Botolph's (Colchester Town) station were replaced with 312s they started to get reversed so could have the Driving Compo either end. A right pain in the backside when they reduced the smoking accommodation because I didn't know where to stand on the platform so I could have a fag on the way home.  

Edit Sorry for the long winded "It don't matter" answer, but when ever I give a simple yes or no answer to a question someone always pipes up "But on the WR they done xyz", just to complicate things. 

Cheers Clive, I'd forgotten about the Colchester triangle, thank you :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The eldest has just popped her head through the toy room door.....and took the micky out of all my unpainted coaches. Damned cheek. 

Get her painting them!

Andi

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Cheers Clive, I'd forgotten about the Colchester triangle, thank you :)

Don't forget there's one at Manningtree too!

Andi

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Get her painting them!

Andi

Two words come to mind in getting Bobbie to do anything.....chance and fat.

11 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Don't forget there's one at Manningtree too!

Andi

Did 312s traverse the Ipswich-Harwich side of the triangle? Not venturing that close to Silly Suffolk I wouldn't know.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Did 312s traverse the Ipswich-Harwich side of the triangle? Not venturing that close to Silly Suffolk I wouldn't know.

I think there was a service that went from Ipswich to HPQ that was 312s at times, although I wouldn't put money on it.

Andi

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2