Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2020 at 22:28, john new said:

an ex-pat Iraqi and an Iranian in the same team

Not work, but in my class at secondary school.  The were both really great guys though the dynamic was 'interesting' when in close proximity.  Despite what was going on at home, they both remained perfectly civilised, etc.  A real lesson to a lot of us even if it's taken a lifetime to realise it.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2020 at 00:22, St Enodoc said:

who were the Hearts and Hibs fans

In my last job I could tell the outcome of matches involving either of those teams by simply looking to see how miserable certain folk looked on the day after.  This year is, again, not a good year for the Jambos of this world.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/06/2020 at 22:43, Enterprisingwestern said:

As it's Friday shouldn't it be Marillion?

Try searching online for 'Fish on Friday'; it's his podcast.

Yes, I'm an 'old school' Marillion fan.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I thought Clive particularly, and others who read this thread might like the following from today's paper, which does have a link to Sheffield Exchange.

"Pretentious Job Title of the Night

McKenzie's a " Performance Ambassador" for Trans Pennine Express(!) ( my italics and exclamation mark!)

We saw him on "The Railway 24/7" (Channel 5) helping people onto trains. It used to be a Porter's job.... but as service gets worse, titles get longer."

I have recorded this, but have yet to watch it.

Immediately "Train Manager" (Guard!) came to my mind but I am sure that those of you who have had the privilege (or misfortune!) to work in the industry can tell us of many more instances?

Hope everyone s well and staying safe?

Take care

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

I thought Clive particularly, and others who read this thread might like the following from today's paper, which does have a link to Sheffield Exchange.

"Pretentious Job Title of the Night

McKenzie's a " Performance Ambassador" for Trans Pennine Express(!) ( my italics and exclamation mark!)

We saw him on "The Railway 24/7" (Channel 5) helping people onto trains. It used to be a Porter's job.... but as service gets worse, titles get longer."

I have recorded this, but have yet to watch it.

Immediately "Train Manager" (Guard!) came to my mind but I am sure that those of you who have had the privilege (or misfortune!) to work in the industry can tell us of many more instances?

Hope everyone s well and staying safe?

Take care

Cheers

Paul

One of our office secretaries went on a course. When she came back she told us she was now a Team Organiser.

"What does that mean?" we asked.

"About two grades" she replied.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

One of our office secretaries went on a course. When she came back she told us she was now a Team Organiser.

"What does that mean?" we asked.

"About two grades" she replied.

Spot on - titles mean everything, so many communications and customer "Officers" around now. Not enough privates I think.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Spot on - titles mean everything, so many communications and customer "Officers" around now. Not enough privates I think.

Are you saying you'd like to see more customer privates?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

If we're going on length of titles, mine is currently Systems Integration and Data Migration Test Engineer

Very impressive, but what do you do except play with computers all day?

I am so glad my job title, well I think it is as Mrs M likes to remind me, is Lazy Sod or similar words. I quite like this job.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Yes, I do know what it means and it does reflect what I do and Yes I play on computers all day. 

Hi Stu

But what does it mean to someone like me who doesn't understand what a Systems Integration and Data Migration Test Engineer does?

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Stu

But what does it mean to someone like me who doesn't understand what a Systems Integration and Data Migration Test Engineer does?

It means he’s an Engineer that Tests Data Migration and Integrates Systems.

Simples

?

Says the Signalling Review and Risk Engineer

:-)

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Stu

Often employed as a contractor by Government departments, NHS, etc. 

He plays on a computer, tells the employing organisation what is wrong with their new toy and how much it will cost to fix it.  Then he is entitled to claim his pile of cash as laid down in the consultancy contract.

The employing organisation totally ignores his advice and commissions the system in a rush, usually for political reasons or to divert attention from the misdeeds of one of their number. Unsurprisingly it all goes t!t$ up. They then have to call in the contractor again. He gets another contract and is consequently paid twice for repeating the same advice in his role as a troubleshooter getting them out of the mess they are in. 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

46 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

:scratchhead:No, none the wiser :scratchhead:

Hi Clive,

My easy to follow explanation of job titles works thus; if you have to ask and then once told what the title is it means nothing to you, you may reasonably assume that they are part of the Bullshitarian Revolution that infected post graduate thinking about 30 or so years ago.

Simply put Bullshtarianism is a way to make tediously mundane jobs that no one in their right mind would ever want to do feel better about themselves after spending thousands at university getting a degree that qualifies someone in a subject that allows them to gain employment as a Bullshitarian.

For example I was a time served and then later HND trained mechanical and production engineer working in the railway industry (steam locomotives), I now work part time/semi retired as a joiner.

That's right, life is a doss, I do as little as I can get away with while playing trains and motorbikes !!!

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

If I told you, it would bore the pants off you.

But I write software to manipulate data being moved between systems, validate data that needs to be migrated into our systems and test software that's written to migrate the validated data into our systemzzzzzzzzz..........

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2